New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Swim Checks and boyent objects

Alright so I was rereading the swim check rules last night and realized that nothing was mentioned about swiming with the assistance of a boyent object, like a piece of wood. I'm wondering what effect you folks think long term swiming aided by something like a large piece of wood. I was thinking along the lines of a +5 or +10 circumstancial bonus.
    The Historian: This DM has the history of his world written out millenniums back. It is intricate, complex, and most importantly, incredibly long. Moreover, everything your characters are doing is based on the previous history. It also tends to lead to loudmouth NPCS who will explain hundreds of years of history at a time while the players try to gouge their eardrums out with mechanical pencils.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Swim Checks and boyent objects

Depends, but I think you are understanding the adaptability that is D&D. Go for it.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Swim Checks and boyent objects

Dpends on the size of the bouyant object, and how boyant it is. Anything from a +2 (the recommended favorable circumstance modifier) to +10 would be reasonable.