New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Magic Item Compedium's item level's.

So, one of my favorite things about the Magic Item Compendium (MIC, I guess) is that next to every item is has a number in parenthesis that shows about what level the character should be before obtaining this. I friggin love that since I am a very busy DM and don't have a lot of time to plan out equipment and such. This being said...

Does anyone know of a way to implement this to the magic items in the DMG and the SRD? I thought about just matching the price of, oh let's say, a ring of protection +1 and then finding something of equal price in the MIC and saying that's the character level of the item. But doesn't body slot play a major role in the price of items. Can anyone give me some advice on this?
    Thanks to DarkCorax for the "Gnome Wizard", which holds a special place in my heart as it's the first DnD character I'd ever made.

Live everyday like it's your last and one day, you'll be right.

2. - Top - End - #2

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Magic Item Compedium's item level's.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbooth View Post
    But doesn't body slot play a major role in the price of items. Can anyone give me some advice on this?
    Only if it does use up a slot (then it's price it's doubled, which means you should halve it in your considerations).

If it does use up a slot, it doesn't matter which one, the price is the same.
    Join the BARD DEFENSE LEAGUE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    "No, that spell is designed to summon cupcakes for you to eat. You can't create it inside your enemy's brain."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aximili View Post
    There are body slot affinities to consider as well, if the item don't mesh with the slot then the price is 50% higher.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Not quite.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Wondrous items that don’t match the affinity for a particular body slot should cost 50% more than wondrous items that match the affinity.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems...SlotAffinities
    Last edited by Rigeld2; 2007-04-03 at 08:36 PM. Reason: ninjaed, but I have the rules cite!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's already implemented. Go to page 269. It has the charts for generating treasure. These charts contain both the items from the Items Compendium and the items from the DMG. They are arranged by item level, starting from 1/2 and going up to 25. Just look for the item you're wondering about. Might take you a minute or two, but you'll find it there. Hopefully, they'll come out with a web enhancement with this information, but until then, you can search it out.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

6. - Top - End - #6

I'm ashamed. Yep, it's already there.

jp
    Thanks to DarkCorax for the "Gnome Wizard", which holds a special place in my heart as it's the first DnD character I'd ever made.

Live everyday like it's your last and one day, you'll be right.

7. - Top - End - #7

Chimera

The MiC is an awesome book and the only reason I haven't picked it up is that I am not playing enough DnD to justify it. Lots of nice low-level magic items that are pretty useful, and I like that it's got a nice easy chart for upgrading items, so you can add stat-boosting to an item that might otherwise get tossed aside.

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    There are body slot affinities to consider as well, if the item don't mesh with the slot then the price is 50% higher.
    Indeed, but I don't know any published magic item that doesn't follow bodyslot afinity.
    (But I've never read the MIC)
    "No, that spell is designed to summon cupcakes for you to eat. You can't create it inside your enemy's brain."

9. - Top - End - #9

The Cloak of Charisma doesn't follow the Body Slot Affinities. Charisma is a mental stat so it should be mental improvement, not transformation or protection. A charisma item should use the headband/helmet body slot.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGirl

True, but it doesn't suffer the 50% increase.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amiria, Countess of Mispelling View Post
    The Cloak of Charisma doesn't follow the Body Slot Affinities. Charisma is a mental stat so it should be mental improvement, not transformation or protection. A charisma item should use the headband/helmet body slot.
    Charisma is also about physical features and force of personality so transformation and the cloak is not such a bad fit as it may seem initially.

My dear Countess, just look at your stunning red robe and how it accentuates your noble features and personal magnetism.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack Man, high level scrolls and other one shot items can still destroy BBEG encounters and ruin an important part of the game, even though they are well within the wealth limit.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed, but I don't know any published magic item that doesn't follow bodyslot afinity.
    (But I've never read the MIC)
    Helm of teleporation is the example mentioned in the DMG. Compare it with boots of teleportation.

14. - Top - End - #14

NecromancerGirl

Hm...
    Ok, now I do know a published item of an unapropriate slot.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by PinkysBrain View Post
    Jack Man, high level scrolls and other one shot items can still destroy BBEG encounters and ruin an important part of the game, even though they are well within the wealth limit.
    And your point? Firstly, such scrolls don't show up in random drops generated by the MIC, which this thread is about. Scrolls stop showing up, for the most part, after level seven, so you never really get up to the high level scrolls, and the ones that do show up after that are generally more defensive in nature than anything else. The only really high level scroll I could find on the tables was a scroll of true resurrection, at item level 16. Second, how is this in response to my post? I only addressed the item levels of DMG items. Are you sure you're not confusing me with JP?
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Hm...
    Ok, now I do know a published item of an unapropriate slot.
    Is the price right and does it follow the guidelines used for abilities and slots?
    If both those parameters fail chances are that you have found an item of an inappropriate slot.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS