New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default What does pun-pun mean to you.

I have two questions to ask what does pun-pun mean to you.
    What level do you think pun-pun is.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: What does pun-pun mean to you.

Pun-Pun was a fun joke for 2 minutes, that had me going 'heh, that works?'

Then came the 1000+ posts and threads :/

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Last I checked? Level one. A paladin, oddly enough. But level five is the 'classic' build.

As far as what pun-pun means to me? Pun-pun is the poster kobold for shoddy editing and conceptual oversights on WotC's part. A symptom of the need they have to stat each and every concept out into an ability. Manipulate form did not need to be an ability gained by each sarruhk (sp?), but that's what they did. Same with all the divine powers.

It's also an example of how pervasive synergy and emergent effects can be. The best argument for how messed up the 'if you don't like it, use Rule 0' is. An excuse to restrict everything to the core books. A mixture of admirable skill and loathsome raw materials.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pun-Pun means a specific build involving abuse of assume supernatural ability and a creature from Serpent Kingdoms, giving the user, a kobold, the ability to gain any ability he wishes.

Pun-Pun is level five, at least to start with.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Level 1, at last sight. They got him down to the venerable human expert 1, but I think through some Pazuzu trickery, he's LE, and ready to assume all those near-infinite abilities from birth.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

If I recall correctly, he's actually level 12 to start with.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

He used to, but last time I've seen it, it was 5th level kobold Wizard/Divine Minion/Master of Many Forms.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-04-06 at 07:18 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

A reminder that not every single spell, item, and monster description in the RAW has been thought through completely, and that there's a reason D&D requires one player to act as referee.

Perhaps more generally, a reminder of the Law of Unintended Consequences.

Though, seriously... how the writers could fail to see the potential abuse of an ability that permanently grants an ability to another without xp cost to either...
    Spoiler
    Show

Gareth the human Transmuter
    Ajax the human Seer
    Grimshander the artic gnome Sorcerer
    Ulfgar the dwarven Cleric
    Froben the gnomish Rogue/Illusionist
    Granger the human Ranger
    and DMing Diabolical Urban Intrigue in Bristol
    and refereeing Wizard vs. Fighter: Arena Grudgematch

9. - Top - End - #9

Pun-pun, to me, represents everything I dislike most about D&D: over-"optimization", cheesing for cheesing's sake, and an utter disregard for anything remotely relating to character concept and roleplaying. Pun-pun is like the divine avatar of "video-game mentality," wherein coming up with the most twinked-out, abusive set of stats permissible under the RAW is a laudable goal. Even though I realize that the guy who first came up with Pun-pun never intended and never wanted the character to be played, I consider its existence a monument to everything I think is wrong with D&D, writ large. The micromanagement, the math, the systems-over-setting approach that seems so prevalent--over all this, Pun-pun is king.

Pun-pun is level NO. In other words, he does not exist, in the same way that Highlander II (and, depending on my mood, the Star Wars prequel trilogy) does not exist. If, in any game I run, play in, or come within 500 yards of participating in, something occurs to allow Pun-pun the possibility of existing, this will be sufficient cause for Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies.

That said, the version I read had him statted at level 5, though I fully believe that someone has managed to make him happen earlier than that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Zöe Althira in When On Olympus
    Ratri Aeval in Double Major
    Mercedes Swift, Scion of Hermes, in ???
    Haiiro Mariko in The Scarlet Shadow
    Kris "Krash" Ashton in Colony
    Karen Mallory in Changing Breeds

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

To me, Pun-Pun is a Greater Deity (Domain Portfolio: Law, Evil, Madness, Squirrel, Cheese, DM). Favored Weapon: "Blue Lightningbolt" (mithral javelin). He is the god of Metagaming and Rules Exploits. Some rumors say he is the manifestation of the DM within the gaming world. Having ascended to the height of cheesiness, he became aware of his existence as a theoretical construction within a fictional universe. Being the Lord of All Cheese, he knows it when he sees it. He is a very crafty deity. He is wise enough to alter the fabric of existence to prevent any other being from achieving even a fraction of his mighty power.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2007-04-06 at 09:02 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

To me, Pun Pun is concrete evidence that PCs always need a DM around to cuff them a couple of times when they start thinking that they're smarter then they really are. Pun Pun is the incarnation of short-sighted munchkinery.

"You've never seen a Sarruhk, so you can't shapeshift into one. Also, rocks fall. You die."

Rule Zero > Cheese. Every single time.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

12. - Top - End - #12

RogueGuy

I like Pun-pun. He proves that when people construct a world the major flaws will always turn out to be pretty disastrous. Plus, Pun-pun just sounds funny.
    Ask a Ninja Ninja: "Soylent Green is Kermit"
    Risus for Solars:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post11188890

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    To me, Pun-Pun is a Greater Deity (Domain Portfolio: Law, Evil, Madness, Squirrel, Cheese, DM). Favored Weapon: "Blue Lightningbolt" (mithral javelin). He is the god of Metagaming and Rules Exploits. Some rumors say he is the manifestation of the DM within the gaming world. Having ascended to the height of cheesiness, he became aware of his existence as a theoretical construction within a fictional universe. Being the Lord of All Cheese, he knows it when he sees it. He is a very crafty deity. He is wise enough to alter the fabric of existence to prevent any other being from achieving even a fraction of his mighty power.
    That's beatiful. Beatiful.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

For me, it's the ultimate result of what happens when you view a roleplaying game as an opportunity to crunch numbers, rather than act out characters.

He lies at the end of a long, long slope, to be sure, but I feel the slope to be awfully slick.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Pun-Pun is the amalgamation of the results of WoTC not thinking about monsters, and about the interaction of certain abilities.

Pun-Pun is now level one, as he makes a DC 25 knowledge check (with some tricks) to learn about a CE corrupting being (in the fiendish codex, known as Pazazu) that grants a wish to any being saying its name thrice in succession, in an attempt to corrupt it to CE.

Of course, he wishes ring of three wishes, retrains (using PHB 2 rules?) a skill focus into assume supernatural ability (which is now legit, as he can assume a new form magically with wish).

Polymorph any object with his psycrystal into a viper, polymorph self into sarrukh, assume manipulate form, proceed. Couple of other methods abound, but that's the simple one.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I think everyone's being a bit too harsh on those who created our friend the kobold. He's not some sort of ultra-roll-players ultimate goal (cf. Stormwind Fallacy), except to those people who say:

L00K I CAN \/\/1N DnD WITH UR r00|_2!!!!1!! I 4M T3H R0X0R5!!!1!

Catch, do you seriously believe that anyone sensible has played PunPun? It's not an example of 'short-sighted munchkinery' because it's not designed to be used in a game. No-one is trying to break the game.

The whole point of him, and basically everything on the theoretical optimisation boards, is to show the WotC designers and playtesters that they need to be a bit more thorough. I once read an interview in which a WotC designer said that it was his biggest asset for reasserting balance.

Furthermore, there's always the fun factor. It's fun to try and find ways of destroying a character with immunity:nearly everything and stats:near infinite.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Jannex View Post
    Pun-pun, to me, represents everything I dislike most about D&D: over-"optimization", cheesing for cheesing's sake, and an utter disregard for anything remotely relating to character concept and roleplaying.
    Will you marry me?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have no idea what "Pun-Pun" is. I keep seeing references to this "Pun-Pun" but I have no idea who or what he/she/it is supposed to be. Thus, I suppose "Pun-Pun means "something people talk about that I don't understand" to me.

This thread has given me a bit of insight, I suppose. I gather it's a really "broken" kobold character of some kind that's made possible by sloppy rules and rules lawyering, but that's about it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate Scribe View Post
    The whole point of him, and basically everything on the theoretical optimisation boards, is to show the WotC designers and playtesters that they need to be a bit more thorough. I once read an interview in which a WotC designer said that it was his biggest asset for reasserting balance.

Furthermore, there's always the fun factor. It's fun to try and find ways of destroying a character with immunity:nearly everything and stats:near infinite.
    Quoted for veracity. I've never heard of anyone playing Pun-Pun, or any of that crazy stuff from Char-Op, though it has given rise to my joking "Oh, I know! I'm gonna play a Kobold Psion!" every so often.

The rules are imperfect, and we all know it. Most of us, I'd like to think, avoid exploiting promblems with the rules in actual games because, well, it ruins the fun for everyone else. That doesn't mean that looking over rulebooks and searching for loopholes for the hell of it isn't fun in and of itself, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan_Scott82 View Post
    ...From an in character perspective, being one who knows they're about to face emminant demise, it makes every bit of sense to pursue the course of greatest power...To not try to make your character as effective as possible within the confines of the rules and the characters background, and surrounding environment is to be decidely out of character.

Credit to Ceika for the awesome avatar (which happens to be Norril, my Nomad).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Here.

Pun-Pun is the GOD of brokeness. He has every ability that ever existed, and can be created at the very least, by level 17. He can create his own abilities, and knows every spell as an at will Sp ability (quickened, etc). He has as many divine ranks and as high ability scores as he wants, and he can have effectively infinate HD.

When a player tries to call some sort of extraplanar being for broken reasons, a kobold with a viper around its shoulder often comes, and says "nice try".

Look around on this board for other examples.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2007-04-06 at 11:53 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Pun Pun was originally just a numbers excercise. He's not cheesy... he's not intended to be played at all. He's essencially a math problem, and he's in fact a very clever solution to that problem.

That said, in my games Pun Pun is an overdiety. He used his abilities to gain infiniate Wisdom and Intelligence, and once he had those he knew he was part of a game, and that said game would only function effectively so long as it was at least relatively balanced and the players were happy. As such, he made himself the God of Exploits and Things Which Are About To Be Exploits. As such, he is instantly aware if someone's going to do something which would be an exploit, and sends a Nut Pun (a divine squirrel servant of Pun Pun) to deal with the situation, usually in a manner which will stop the exploit but give the player a prize for originality so the player is happy.

JaronK

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pun-pun, to me, represents everything I dislike most about D&D: over-"optimization", cheesing for cheesing's sake, and an utter disregard for anything remotely relating to character concept and roleplaying. Pun-pun is like the divine avatar of "video-game mentality," wherein coming up with the most twinked-out, abusive set of stats permissible under the RAW is a laudable goal.
    I have similar feelings, but I generally keep my mouth shut about it. I won't further derail the thread by complaining about it though.

23. - Top - End - #23

The earlier versions are just sloppy rules, I dunno about the one that works at level 1.

They made a Su ability that allows you to perform a number of outrageous changes on any 'scalykind' creature with duration instant, including granting it abilities (that you have, I think). You acquire this ability by shapeshift magic or maybe a summoning trick, and bestow it on another reptile. Familiars are nice. Then, if you didn't have the ability permanently already, have the reptile bestow it back (that's why you're a kobold). Then by using the other aspects of the ability, you can pump your ability scores into the stratosphere (without limit). After that I think there's some trickery you can use involving divinity mechanics...

What it represents most of all is the absurd assumption by writers that an infinitely broken power is perfectly fine if it isn't on a PC playable race.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
    They made a Su ability that allows you to perform a number of outrageous changes on any 'scalykind' creature with duration instant, including granting it abilities (that you have, I think). You acquire this ability by shapeshift magic or maybe a summoning trick, and bestow it on another reptile. Familiars are nice. Then, if you didn't have the ability permanently already, have the reptile bestow it back (that's why you're a kobold). Then by using the other aspects of the ability, you can pump your ability scores into the stratosphere (without limit). After that I think there's some trickery you can use involving divinity mechanics...
    I see. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
    What it represents most of all is the absurd assumption by writers that an infinitely broken power is perfectly fine if it isn't on a PC playable race.
    I thought one of the points of 3.x was that there were no more "non-PC playable" races (or pretty much anything else) anymore and that you could be a half-troll, half-drow, half-dragon vampiric werebear if you wanted to. If it didn't start that way, it certainly seems that way now if the various threads I read on D&D boards are any indication.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

To me, Pun-Pun is proof that the most important rule in D&D is the social contract between the players (including the DM). You can let somebody play almost anything so long as you trust that player to not make the game un-fun for the other players.
    Last edited by Gnomick; 2007-04-06 at 01:46 PM.
    -Meta Haiku-&&One two three four five&&One two three four-through-seven&&One two three four five

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

To me Pun-Pun is a godsend. Whenever someone claims 3.5 is balanced you just link to that thread. If they still want to argue that 3.5 is balanced after reading that then you are free to whack that person on the head with the DMG.

27. - Top - End - #27

Ooooh, I knew that feat Improved Critical - DMG wasn't a waste!

28. - Top - End - #28

Pun-pun, to me, represents everything I dislike most about D&D: over-"optimization", cheesing for cheesing's sake, and an utter disregard for anything remotely relating to character concept and roleplaying. Pun-pun is like the divine avatar of "video-game mentality," wherein coming up with the most twinked-out, abusive set of stats permissible under the RAW is a laudable goal. Even though I realize that the guy who first came up with Pun-pun never intended and never wanted the character to be played, I consider its existence a monument to everything I think is wrong with D&D, writ large. The micromanagement, the math, the systems-over-setting approach that seems so prevalent--over all this, Pun-pun is king.
    ...you realize, of course, that Pun-Pun isn't there for playing? Pun-Pun isn't meant to be played; he's just a demonstration of the things you can do with the rules (and how broken Manipulate Form is).

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    To me Pun-Pun is a godsend. Whenever someone claims 3.5 is balanced you just link to that thread. If they still want to argue that 3.5 is balanced after reading that then you are free to whack that person on the head with the DMG.
    With that logic, you can prove that every system, every game in existance is broken.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Bears With Lasers View Post
    ...you realize, of course, that Pun-Pun isn't there for playing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannex
    Even though I realize that the guy who first came up with Pun-pun never intended and never wanted the character to be played
    I'm going to guess that yes, she does realize that.