New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Pumping UMD

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Pumping UMD

Hey, i have a few questions aobut UMD.

First off, how high can you get UMD to be at, say, fourth level?
    What feats or skill allocations would be needed?

I'm currently building a warlock, so some synergies won't be available.

Also, what is the UMD check needed to craft a magic item?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: Pumping UMD

I don't believe Use Magic Device is used for crafting magic devices...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    I don't believe Use Magic Device is used for crafting magic devices...
    You missed the part about warlocks. The OP also missed the part in the ability that tells him the exact DC of the check.

Edit for below. Kalirren, it isn't holding for general. He is a warlock. Warlocks get a class ability to make UMD checks to emulate spells for the purposes of crafting.

Apparently I can't be coy.
    Last edited by Clementx; 2007-04-06 at 11:46 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Artificer class uses UMD skill checks to emulate casting requirements for item crafting purposes. This doesn't hold in general.

I dunno, target might be around +21-ish? 4(stat) + 5(item, competence bonus) + 7 ranks + 2 (feat) = 18, so that's a lower bound, you're on your own from there.
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lesse, we can assume 16 CHA at level 1, increased to 17 at 4. Max ranks, Skill Focus, and Magical Aptitude leaves you at...
    7+3+3+2=+15 modifier at level three. This is, of course, core-only. I'm sure there's many non-core ways to make it even higher... a magic ring that adds +5 competance to UMD checks costs 2500 GP, out of a starting of 5400 at level 4. +4 costs 1600, +3 900, +2 costs 400, and +1 costs 100, so I suggest going for the +3 (this is if your DM allows custom magic items, of course)
    so a grand total of +18 UMD at level 4. not to shabby.
    Got Fire?
    Spoiler
    Show

Siggies by Dr. Bath. Avatar by Dr. Bath. Thanks a bundle, guys!

6. - Top - End - #6

5 ranks in decipher script and spellcraft each net you another +2, but that's only for using scrolls.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Indeed.

Are there any feats besides Magcial Aptitude and Skill Focus that will help?

ps. Thanks to everybody who replied, and the the guy who pointed out where to find the DCs for crafting magic items.

8. - Top - End - #8

I just checked crystal keep and didn't find any feats. There is, however, an item called "spellcaster spectacles" which grant a +5 competence bonus to UMD checks fro scrolls and a +5 competence bonus to decipher script, for only 2500 gp. From Complete Adventurer.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

This is more for a few levels away, but snag a circlet of persuasion for an additional +3, plus it's handy if your Warlock's a diplomancer.

You don't really need all that boosting, though. By the time you get Imbue Item, you can make any arcane item by taking 10 (thanks to Deceive Item) just off of ranks and a half-decent modifier.

Also, and I wish I was the one who'd originally thought of this idea, if you have access to Races of Destiny, toss in two levels of Chameleon in order to use its daily bonus feat for your item creation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggorian View Post
    Spinning as it leaps, the beer mug nicks your nose for 1 point of bludgeoning. You raise your warhammer to shatter the attacker ... but pause. How many times have you slammed a few back at a pub? How many times have you struck mugs with a friends?

"Alright, that makes us even cup. I'll not ..."

**THUD**

The barstool's long legs sweep you to the ground. The moment of doubt passes, continuing the most bizarre bar fight of your adventuring career.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

The Marshal class could double your charisma bonus to UMD, if you're willing to take a one level dip.

JaronK

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

There are many tricks listed in the above thread. Shape Soulmeld is an easy one you can do at your level for you just need a feat. Furthermore its 4+2*essentia making it alot better than Skill Focus UMD
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele