New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Default Re: Harrison Ford would be proud... [Base Class]

The class is a bit too good in the early levels.

Dip a single level you get trapfinding, a bonus feat (exotic weapon proficiency), two good saves, and the ability to always be able to take 10 on a single skill. The bit about always being able to take 10 is way too good for a 1st level ability. Normally that is the kind of thing that you can't even get until prestige class territory. Plus, Indy blew skill checks as often as he made them, he really didn't seem to take a lot of 10s on anything.

Being able to take 10 on disable device or tumble at 1st level is pretty darn powerful. That makes for 1st level autotumblers, and after a few levels removes all the danger from disabling traps.
    Check out Red Box Fantasy a very modern and different take on retrogaming. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/paigeoliver

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

I like the class alot, but i think he would get kicked around in combat

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

I'm almost tempted to say rework as a 10-level prestige class.

My friendly neighborhood DM ran a campaign where he reworked the Paladin class to be a 10-level prestige class, to make it more the mirror opposite of the blackguard. Worked nicely.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

It looks good to me. Though I would make a few changes. First off I think that they should get lowlight vision before they get darkvision, it just makes more sense to me that way. Secondly, I would probably break In the Face of Death into smaller bonuses and spread it out more through the class so you get a +1 in the earlier levels and then +2 a few levels later and so forth.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd go with a d8.
    Unofficial flash light of the
    My homebrew monsters: Reef Golem, Blood Burning Crab, Blood Burning Swarm, Spreader, Demonic Spirit
    Bringer of doom to all thing furry and small

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

I like it, a skillmonkey class that MAKES SENSE!!

Indiana Jones probably splashed Ranger for Track and Favored Enemy (Nazis), then went into the Lasher (Sword & Fist, 3.0) PrC. Most of the things Indi did with his whip can be done with the 1st level Lasher ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

This is quite good. It's missing the essential niche that all of the other base classes in the SRD have, but it's better than a bard and would be good for a 1-on-1 adventure.

I would say, however, that the ability to take 10 on a skill check is a teensy bit too good at 1st level. I would remove the ability from 1st level, and instead replace it with an Explorer Bonus feat.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright then.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Indiana Jones is nothing more than a lawful good rogue... except during his midlife crises also known as the temple of doom in which case he seemed an entirely different character than he was in the first and last movie.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

This class, to me, looks like a Prestige class extended 10-15 more levels then it has to be. It's well built and all, but the class really doesn't have anything special to offer that a rogue or ranger can't offer while still having good combat abilities, which the explorer lacks. As a base class you get some cool and interesting abilities, but in the long run you arn't all that useful to the party.

I think the class would work better as a prestige classes, designed at giving a urban oriented class (fighter, bard, rogue, ect) and edge while exploring unknown territory. That way the class would have the abilities of the base class to fall back upon when times get rough.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Boy View Post
    Indiana Jones is nothing more than a lawful good rogue... except during his midlife crises also known as the temple of doom in which case he seemed an entirely different character than he was in the first and last movie.
    Actually, the Temple of Doom was a prequel to the events of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Ahh you he was just being young and stupid then, either way, Indiana was much cooler in the other two movies than he was in temple of doom. He's one of my favorite characters because represents quite well in my opinion a good example of a lawful good rogue. Yeah he wasn't so lawful when it came to women, but let's face it, everyone has their vices.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

I say d8, but good will save, and replace Danger Skills with bonus skill tricks from the Complete Scoundrel. There actually is one for using a whip to swing across a pit!
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Awesome class. He definately needs some weapon bonuses though, maybe he gets a favored weapon like kensai or a soul knife (I mention soul knife because he gets weapon enhancements and weapon focuses to make his BAB equivilant to full, not because Explorer should have a magical weapon that appears on call). This would fit in with Indie's whip and make the Explorer more useful in combat.

He still won't be as useful as a rogue (sneak attack) or a fighter (bonus feats) but his unique skill aplications and the impromptu crafting are what sets him appart.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.