New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Best Place to Hide Phycaltery

I'm making a lich for my game, and I need a really, really, really good place to hide her phycaltery so that the PCs don't focus on trying to find it and instead focus on, y'know, saving the world. So, I'm not going to BS anything and say that they can't find it, or that it isn't there, because that's silly and I'm not that kind of DM.

Ideas I've had so far;
    -The homebrew world that is my setting is a cylinder with seven suns floating through it. Hide it inside one of the suns. A long, long stretch, I know, but this lich has powerful allies from other dimensions. It can happen.

-One of the PCs picks it up inadvertently and they have no idea they have it. It would be appropriately magically masked, of course, and would be the headpeice for say a staff of some kind, or a jewel in a Helm of Brilliance. Because, y'know, magic items are never more than they seem, right?

-One of the other villains has it, and he doesn't know. The lich would trust him to keep it safe, because she knows that he is more powerful than she, and also haughty and arrogant.

Anyone else have some better ideas? I'd like something foolproof and concrete, anyone who could help with this will get a cookie! :D

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: The Best Place to Hide Phycaltery

At the bottom of the sea.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

On another plane of existence (elemental non-damaging would be best, so air, water or earth) Preferably somwhere that the Lich can't even find it.

Unless of course the story is supposed to shift towards killing the Lich later on. Then I'd put it on another continent, not impossible to get to, but very inconvenient.
    The first person who mentions "maturity" while we are discussing a complex game of "pretend" . . . loses.

4. - Top - End - #4

See, that can't happen, 'cause there are no other planes of existence on this world. At least, not that anyone knows of. It's extremely complicated.

And, the story shouldn't shift to killing her later on, and if it does, then I'll move it to a more PC-applicable area.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Make it a mundane item the characters would not normally care much about. I'd say a journal or the like, kept by the lich during their life, but that's something that some more scholarly types might pick up (or the just-plain-weird ones). Really, any sort of keepsake like that would work I think -- a painting of her in childhood with friends, a stuffed & mounted pet (would probably work great for making the PCs think she's nuckin' futs, keeping Fluffy around in a magically preserved state for several hundred years, talking to and petting the animal like it's still alive).

For added hilarity, you could always put a nicely enchanted item like a necklace of fireballs on the lich's person to be found and mistaken for the phylactery. Nothing says "try again" quite like triggering multiple 5-8d6 fireballs at point-blank range. :)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

In the spider golem guarding your matron-mother's temple!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

If you've got timetravel, then in the future. If not... a coin in a pocket on one of her clothing items. I doubt that your PC's would shuffle through her wardrobe too much.

8. - Top - End - #8

Enchant it so it produces a continuous Force Box effect. Then, teleport it to the bottom of the game world's equivalent of the Marianas Trench. With weights attached.

9. - Top - End - #9

Can you use people as a phylactery?
    If so, kidnap a child and make it yours. No hero will ever slay a child.
    I think the phrase rhymes with 'clucking bell'.

Lord Flashheart by Kalirush

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Give it to a skeleton minion. Also give it a spade. Tell it to dig. Forever.

With any luck, it should be several miles down and counting by the time the heroes come looking for you. When they do, fill the hole with Boneyard (creature from Libris Mortis) and Black Sand (from Sandstorm).

(oh, make sure you're not on a plane of existance that has a core composition like our Earth (i.e. magma under the crust), otherwise you're screwed)
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by LCR View Post
    Can you use people as a phylactery?
    If so, kidnap a child and make it yours. No hero will ever slay a child.
    Now, THAT is clever.

JellyPooga- However sinisterly fun that is, It wouldn't work with my world. Ambient chaotic energy circles this giant cylinder, and the phycaltery would be ripped apart by the time it gets to the outside of the world.
    Druid-Ninjatar by the sensuous Serpentine.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Ranis View Post
    JellyPooga- However sinisterly fun that is, It wouldn't work with my world. Ambient chaotic energy circles this giant cylinder, and the phycaltery would be ripped apart by the time it gets to the outside of the world.
    shucks
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

13. - Top - End - #13

Now, THAT is clever.

Can anything protect you from this currents? Force effects? Protection from elements? Temporal Stasis?

14. - Top - End - #14

Put it in a safe deposit box in a bank.

I mean, the PC's will expect it to be in some exotic, unreachable, guarded location. No one will think to check the local bank.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by martyboy74 View Post
    Can anything protect you from this currents? Force effects? Protection from elements? Temporal Stasis?
    The campaign setting is a forgotten, unfinished version of the Material plane, long forgotten by everyone.

So, the energies circling the plane are those of the raw force of Creation itself. So, no. Unfortunately.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Have your phylactery made in an immovable rod, stuck in the middle of the air a mile above the ocean/desert/forest. Then make it invisible. It would be pretty impossilble to find or notice, even with a dedicate search.
    Chaos is the friend of those who make no enemies and form no alliances.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    Have your phylactery made in an immovable rod, stuck in the middle of the air a mile above the ocean/desert/forest. Then make it invisible. It would be pretty impossilble to find or notice, even with a dedicate search.
    Hah! A funny thought went through my mind:

PC's are flying (thanks to the wizard) to their next destination. They see a bird smack into something then plummet to the ground.

PC's: "Hmm."

18. - Top - End - #18

Hah! A funny thought went through my mind:

PC's are flying (thanks to the wizard) to their next destination. They see a dragon smack into something then plummet to the ground.

PC's: "Hmm."
    Fixed it for you.

19. - Top - End - #19

Heh, thanks. 'Cept, dragons don't exist in my world. :)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Go into an antimagic field with a bag of holding. Put the phylactery into the bag. Walk out of the field. The phylactery will only be reachable while in the field, and while in it, won't detect as a magic item. You still can regenerate, however, as the phylactery is in the pocket plane generated by the bag, and so is removed from the field.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

actually there is nothing evil if you put it in a human and the heros stun or sleep the captive and have the cleric go inside the human and perform surgery with heal checks every round, of course if you ment WAS the human than well :/ there are spells that switch bodies for people and a LG character might switch bodies and then have his friends slay him

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate Scribe View Post
    Go into an antimagic field with a bag of holding. Put the phylactery into the bag. Walk out of the field. The phylactery will only be reachable while in the field, and while in it, won't detect as a magic item. You still can regenerate, however, as the phylactery is in the pocket plane generated by the bag, and so is removed from the field.
    WOW.

I think this is the best example of telling the laws of physics and matter to sit down and shut up I've ever seen.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

How about hiding it in the body of the lich himself? Unless the players vaporise the lich somehow, I'd think that they'd ignore the corpse after killing him, leaving the phycaltery essentially in the last place they'd look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    "Deploy the HADs!"
    "The HADs, sir?"
    "Halflings with Antipersonnel Disorder."

Proud member of the Roy Fanclub!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

If the phylactery was in the extra dimensional space created by the bag of holding then you could simply reach in and get it outside of the AMF. It's simply in the bag, being covered up by the bags opening which is an entrance into an extradimensional space, just cutting the bag open would allow you to retrieve the phylactery even without the AMF.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

I gotta love the bank idea. No PC would just check at the bank. Ever. Plus there are no awkward situations like the lich reforming a mile above the ground and falling to the ground. Thats gotta hurt.
    The easiest solutions are the best. The bank is great, you could just make it a gem, but in the PC's possession I think it might not get to regenerate before it is killed and the gem is destroyed.
    Other villans usually work pretty well, especially untouchable villians, i.e. the noble that owns half the city. The inside of a hollow tree in the middle of a forest will be near impossible to find as well for PCs.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

You could hide it as a modern art painting and put it in a gallery. Say the lich is an art connoisseur or something.
    Last edited by Earthstar_Fungus; 2007-04-15 at 10:42 AM.
    MMORPGs come and go but D&D is forever.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Earthstar_Fungus View Post
    You could hide it in as a modern art painting and put it in a gallery.
    And have it summarily burnt to a crisp by the first adventurer with a sense of taste? No way
    Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    "Deploy the HADs!"
    "The HADs, sir?"
    "Halflings with Antipersonnel Disorder."

Proud member of the Roy Fanclub!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Combine two great ideas. Inside an immovable rod at the bottom of the ocean.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Now me, I go in for a slightly less exotic method. You put the Phylactery in a Golem, which you then place in a random spot in a desert somewhere, or other equally bleak, large area of space, then you cast Imprison on the golem. The golem is now several leagues under the surface of the planet, requiring a high-level spell to be cast nearby the spot exactly above it. Needle in a haystack.

Failing that, put it in your safe deposit box and THEN Imprison it, so even if, on the off-chance, the PC's search it, they won't find it. Just remember to fill said box with some other valuables to cover the scent.
    Last edited by Imrix.; 2007-04-15 at 10:57 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg Pirate View Post
    How about hiding it in the body of the lich himself? Unless the players vaporise the lich somehow, I'd think that they'd ignore the corpse after killing him, leaving the phycaltery essentially in the last place they'd look.
    This won't work, for a couple of reasons:

1: My players strip everything they kill clean for anything that might be magical or a potential thrown weapon. My fighter has a ream of "acquired" longswords he uses as his ranged weapon. Even if the lich hid it on her person, they would tear her apart trying to find ANYTHING she was hiding.

Even if she hid it you-know-where.

2. My world is undead heavy. Liches are more common than in most other settings, common enough that people who are relatively high-ranked in cities and your average adventuring party know what phycalteries are. So, they would know to look for them.