New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Winged Dervish?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default Winged Dervish?

Favorite races thread got me thinking about Averiel and Fey'ri, and then I started thinking about how well wings would work in a dervish dance.

Anybody have any ideas on special optimizations you'd need to really take advantage of flight as a dervish?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Winged Dervish?

A reach weapon. If you attack them from out of their reach and in the air, they can't close with you unless they can fly themselves.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

what about bows.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Bows really don't qualify as a slashing weapon.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Defeats the purpose of dervishing.

Reach weapons would be absolutely nice... Only problem would be getting Flyby Attack instead of Spring Attack. I think.
    Good grammar is hot.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Annarrkkii View Post
    Defeats the purpose of dervishing.

Reach weapons would be absolutely nice... Only problem would be getting Flyby Attack instead of Spring Attack. I think.
    Whipping along at 15' altitude and hitting everything below you that can't fly is sick...you don't even NEED to raise tumble.

I suppose you'd want to take feats that raise your flight speed, as dervish fast movement will apply to your feet, not your wings.

7. - Top - End - #7

Certainly. Actually, considering how beefy most flight speeds are, a few potions of Expeditious Retreat (50 gp for a minute) should tide you over nicely.
    Good grammar is hot.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Annarrkkii View Post
    Certainly. Actually, considering how beefy most flight speeds are, a few potions of Expeditious Retreat (50 gp for a minute) should tide you over nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Expeditious Retreat
    There is no effect on other modes of movement, such as burrow, climb, fly, or swim
    Lame, but true.
    Last edited by Darkxarth; 2007-04-15 at 09:19 PM.
    Working on a campaign world or adventure and need feedback?
    Check out this site.

Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Talya
    Anyone casting a ninth level spell should not be just bending the fabric of reality, but chewing up the fabric of reality and spitting it out. It represents an expenditure of raw magical force that should be momentous, and should have similar shock value as the events following Grand Moff Tarkin's "You may fire when ready."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

It really all boils down to what you mean when you say "Flight speed is double your base land speed." and how it interacts with "Your base land speed is improved by X feet." :)
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't play an Avariel, whatever you do, don't play an Avariel.

Play a Elf with the Winged Creature Template instead. What you get for 2 LA

Winged Creature +4 Dex, +2 Wis. Speed is Land+20 feet. Maneuverability is based off Dex.
    17+ is perfect, 15 is good, 11 is Average, 7 is poor, 6 or lower is clumsy

Plain High Elf +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution
    Total effect (Winged High Elf): +6 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Wis, 50 feet speed, if you have a base dex of 11 you have perfect maneuverability.
    Favored Class Wizard
    LA of 2

Gray Elf -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence
    Total effect (Winged Grey Elf): -2 Str, +6 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, 50 feet speed, if you have a base dex of 11 you have perfect maneuverability.
    Favored Class Wizard
    LA of 2

Wild Elf +4 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence
    Total effect (Winged Grey Elf): +8 Dex, -2 Con, -2 Int, +2 Wis, 50 feet speed, if you have a base dex of 9 and you have perfect maneuverability.
    Favored Class Sorcerer
    LA of 2

Wood Elf +2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence
    Total effect (Winged Grey Elf): +2 Str, +6 Dex, -2 Con, -2 Int, +2 Wis, 50 feet speed, if you have a base dex of 11 you have perfect maneuverability.
    Favored Class Ranger
    LA of 2
    ---
    vs
    ---
    Avariel
    +4 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis
    50 Flight with Average Maneuverability.
    Does double damage with a charge (it is called a dive but it is identical to a charge besides you do double damage if using a piercing weapon).
    Favored Class Cleric
    LA of 3

Read more here
    http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=704014

I won't dare show you a CO link on the subject, they are far more cruel

The higher ECl isn't worth it the dive ability. You shouldn't be charging when you have 3 less HD than everybody else. A winged creature elf will have the same net stats, and a better maneuverability and is 1 ecl lower.

---

Especially don't play an Avariel if you are going into dervish and thus won't be using the dive ability and you wont' be using piercing weapons for Dervish requires slashing weapons.

Just play one of those other elves listed but call yourself an avariel.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2007-04-15 at 10:56 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Kusari-Gamas are slashing weapons right? Dual wield those and booyah, reach light weapons you can dance with and have all the spiked chain cheese.

Make sure to get perfect maneuverability so you can dance around freely.

Get magic items with 'cloud wings' and 'wings of air' on them (level 2 druid spells) for +30ft fly speed and a step up in maneuverability. Then of course there's a feat that only requires a fly speed and bumps your maneuverability another step so you can go for pretty much any race with average maneuverability and up it to perfect.

Note: Perfect Maneuverability also gives you +12 to aerial trip attacks and overruns (against other flying creatures).
    Last edited by Necromas; 2007-04-15 at 10:34 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    It really all boils down to what you mean when you say "Flight speed is double your base land speed." and how it interacts with "Your base land speed is improved by X feet." :)
    It's crystal clear. If your fly speed is twice your base move speed and your base move speed increases, so does your fly speed. This is assuming of course that your fly speed is specifically based on your base move speed and doesn't just happen to be exactly double your base move by coincidence.
    Last edited by OzymandiasVolt; 2007-04-15 at 10:47 PM.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, task mage

STFUitP

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necromas View Post
    Kusari-Gamas are slashing weapons right? Dual wield those and booyah, reach light weapons you can dance with and have all the spiked chain cheese.

Make sure to get perfect maneuverability so you can dance around freely.

Get magic items with 'cloud wings' and 'wings of air' on them (level 2 druid spells) for +30ft fly speed and a step up in maneuverability. Then of course there's a feat that only requires a fly speed and bumps your maneuverability another step so you can go for pretty much any race with average maneuverability and up it to perfect.

Note: Perfect Maneuverability also gives you +12 to aerial trip attacks and overruns (against other flying creatures).
    Kusari Gamas are an excellent weapon choice for TWF and Dervish especially.

Still, I can't help but wince when I try to picture something with wings swinging two around in combat.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zincorium View Post
    Still, I can't help but wince when I try to picture something with wings swinging two around in combat.
    Probally because most Double-Weapons styles a humanoid would use would chop off a winged creatures wings.
    Last edited by TheOOB; 2007-04-16 at 12:54 AM.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion