New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

View Poll Results: Do you prefer the old 'flavorful' spell names or the new simplified ones?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old "Flavored" Names

26 74.29%
  • New "Simplified" Names

3 8.57%
  • Don't Care

6 17.14%
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Who loves Flavourful spell names?

I don't know why this annoys me but one of the things I dislike about 3.5 is how they cut out many of the interesting parts from spells, especially in reference to the spell's creator or patron Examples (Bigsby's, Snilloc's Melf's Mordenkien and some many others) . I can understand trying to make the spells as customizable as possable and trying to make them fit in a nonstandard game but still I like rolling off those interesting almost tongue twister names because they give some flavor. I mean can't you just feel the oddness of Simbul’s skeletal deliquescence while it's updated name corporeal instability feels like a textbook description

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
    Default Re: Who loves Flavourful spell names?

Bigby, Melf, Mordenkein, Tenser, and a couple others are still around.

Not having played previous versions, I can't really say I mind.
    "We have become like unto tiny refreshing GODS!"
    --Popcorn
    Quoteses, preciousssss...
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Einstrauss View Post
    Player: Heh, that was easy.
    DM: You take 12 lethal damage.
    Player: Huh? From what?
    DM: Raw spite.
    Quote Originally Posted by NecroPaladin View Post
    'FEAR MY CUBESHOES! RAAAAAR!'

Proud owner of one Gold Star, as awarded by Count Chumleigh.
    Member of the Metric System Fan Club.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Definitely the old versions. The 3.5 Player's Handbook does have some of those, like Mordenkainen's disjunction. Then I looked at the SRD, saw Mage's Disjunction, and thought "what is this?"
    Proud member of the Hinjo fanclub

A Video Gamer's Perspective: My thoughts on all different kinds of entertainment, especially video games and anime... plus maybe the occasional webcomic reference...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

The SRD has had those names stripped out for copyright/"product identity" reasons. The PHB and actual WotC publications retain them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

It doesn't really matter much to me either way. I never got into premade campaign settings, so I never really understood who Otiluke, Bigby, and the like were anyway.

Since I've only ever played in custom settings, the names of these spells introduced a small sort of continuity flaw, since they'd be named after wizards who never existed in the world. Besides, they never added "Melf's Minute Meteors" to 3rd ed in the first place, so anything for me to miss in this respect is already gone.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Though not specifically on topic, I would like to state for the record that the ToB maneuver title "Five-Shadow-Creeping-Ice-Enervation-Strike!" is totally awesome.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

I used to like the more interesting names, but as I've gotten more and more into actually playing D&D with other people I've learned to appreciate the simpler names. I used to call them by abbreviations anyways; now I'm actually using the real name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quietus
    Complementary Loincloths exist so that I never have to make any excessively long speeches about my players' wangs.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I tend to enjoy them, even though I don't deal with Greyhawk. There's just something neat about casting Otiluke's Resilient Sphere as opposed to Resilient Sphere. Part of it is just the Form-Blazing-Sword style goodness of naming your superweapons, but it's amusing to see shticks shine through the game. Otiluke has his spheres, Bigby has his hands, and Tasha and Otto have gotten some particularly amusing little numbers; Otto's Imperative Ambulation is made of win for its name alone.
    Last edited by Merlin the Tuna; 2007-04-16 at 09:23 PM.
    Merlin the Tuna

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Since I've only ever played in custom settings, the names of these spells introduced a small sort of continuity flaw, since they'd be named after wizards who never existed in the world. Besides, they never added "Melf's Minute Meteors" to 3rd ed in the first place, so anything for me to miss in this respect is already gone.
    There's that, and I also don't think that characters would necesarily have names for their spells (maybe wizards would, but especially not sorcerors). So I think of the names as mostly just for the players to use anyway.

EDIT: I voted for the simpler names, but then I do enjoy the interesting names even if I never refer to the spells as such in-character, so maybe that wasn't the best response.
    Last edited by Scribbler; 2007-04-16 at 09:40 PM.
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword, so I took Weapon Specialization.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by storybookknight View Post
    Though not specifically on topic, I would like to state for the record that the ToB maneuver title "Five-Shadow-Creeping-Ice-Enervation-Strike!" is totally awesome.
    especially, in my campaign, any PC who uses a strike maneuver has to say the maneuver as he performs it. it's hilarious. makes it sound like Dragonball, except even cheesier (if that's possible)
    "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words ... English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

"The only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."