New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Can you make the most overpowered (first level) build Ever?

I dont think i have the MOST overpowered bould ever but heres what i got. Enjoy...

Race: Human
    Class: Warlock
    invocation: darkness, devils sight
    feats: weapon focus (ranged touch), extra invocation

Strategy
    Precombat: cast devils sight
    1st round: cast darkness
    all remaining rounds: Go blast happy (my favorite part )

Heres the cool part. Eldrich blast is a touch attack right? well when inside the darkness they are also flat footed so there max armor class (unless maically boosted) is only 10!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Can you make the most overpowered (first level) build Ever?

You might want to search the WOTC boards for a little fella called Pun pun, then give up any attempts to top it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it a level 1 build though?

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a level 1 version of pun pun using the fiendish codexes, yes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

That uses something assuming that a certain demon is in the hypothetical campaign setting Pun Pun is in, yes.

I think that for all character optimization builds, they should be as campaign-independent as possible. Thus, no using obscure creatures from a book, no using a certain demon that's statted up, and thus people can't use pun pun to attempt to 'top' all other builds.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Haven't seen "Pun Pun." But Mongo, my friend's minmaxed half orc fighter at 20 str, 12 dex, 18 con, 6 int, 8 wis, 6 cha, power attack, and cleave...while he'll suck at higher levels, is truly terrifying right now.
    Last edited by Talya; 2007-04-17 at 09:38 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NullAshton View Post
    That uses something assuming that a certain demon is in the hypothetical campaign setting Pun Pun is in, yes.

I think that for all character optimization builds, they should be as campaign-independent as possible. Thus, no using obscure creatures from a book, no using a certain demon that's statted up, and thus people can't use pun pun to attempt to 'top' all other builds.
    Um, but in this particular circumstance the OP asked for the craziest, most min-maxxed option out there. That goes with the assumption that anything is allowed, and thus you get your anwser: pun-pun.

If there were other restrictions or any recognition that this character would actually be used in a campaign then other things would be suggested. But dispite being unplayable Pun-Pun is indeed the most overpowered level 1 character.
    Last edited by ZekeArgo; 2007-04-17 at 09:32 AM.
    "You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."-Urza

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Pun Pun = Infinite Every stat and every ability in the game, in short.

Anyways, how about most optimized non-obscure reference/creature type/shape shifting abuse level 1 characters!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Moogle View Post
    I dont think i have the MOST overpowered bould ever but heres what i got. Enjoy...

Race: Human
    Class: Warlock
    invocation: darkness, devils sight
    feats: weapon focus (ranged touch), extra invocation

Strategy
    Precombat: cast devils sight
    1st round: cast darkness
    all remaining rounds: Go blast happy (my favorite part )

Heres the cool part. Eldrich blast is a touch attack right? well when inside the darkness they are also flat footed so there max armor class (unless maically boosted) is only 10!
    Okay, first off, you need to re-read the actual text of Extra Invocation, you can't even take it until you're 6th level. So while that makes the entire build flatly illegal, I'm going to continue taking it apart while everyone argues over pun pun.

You also don't meet the prerequisite for weapon focus. You now have taken two feats that are illegal. Congrats.

Also, people inside darkness are NOT flat footed. They simply have concealment (only a 20% miss chance) against everything inside the darkness. Not to mention it's only 20 feet from the center, so even if you're wearing heavy armor, on the far edge, and traveling the wrong direction all the way back through, it'll take you only two moves to get out unless you run into something, which is unlikely since you aren't actually blind.

Also, even though you only have to beat touch AC, you're stuck with only your dex bonus, as you have no attack roll, vs. most likely just your opponent's dex. Opposed rolls, pretty much, for a d6 of damage. This may kill the party wizard or a sickly rogue/bard. However, you have now spent two turns to have an even chance at doing a d6 of damage.

On the other hand, a falchion wielding half orc barbarian in a rage will disable you with one hit, and on a good damage roll or critical will kill you entirely. Personally, I think at level one the only real improvements are switching to a greatsword, going full orc, and taking improved initiative so you don't take more than one or two attacks before ending the life of your opponent. This rapidly loses effectiveness, however, past level 2.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

A human sorcerer with a Improved Init, Spell Focus: Enchantment (Or insert your own DC-boosting feat here), and sleep or color spray. With a longspear and/or a scythe for the coup de grace, or a familiar that somehow has an attack that does more than 4 damage on a crit.

If I wanted to go for the fun factor, I'd say a bard with Improved Init and Skill Focus: Perform. It's only good in fights against a single foe, but winning initiative and fascinating the enemy with your obscene perform check on the first round (before he can be considered threatened) is always fun.

Of course, if you don't win initiative? Hel-lo raging barbarian with two-handed weapon. *Crunch*

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Halfling thrower in an Arena I played had a +10 thrown AB at 1st, plus a great AC. He did just great, but then no-one targeted his Will save.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zincorium View Post
    Okay, first off, you need to re-read the actual text of Extra Invocation, you can't even take it until you're 6th level. So while that makes the entire build flatly illegal, I'm going to continue taking it apart while everyone argues over pun pun.

You also don't meet the prerequisite for weapon focus. You now have taken two feats that are illegal. Congrats.

Also, people inside darkness are NOT flat footed. They simply have concealment (only a 20% miss chance) against everything inside the darkness. Not to mention it's only 20 feet from the center, so even if you're wearing heavy armor, on the far edge, and traveling the wrong direction all the way back through, it'll take you only two moves to get out unless you run into something, which is unlikely since you aren't actually blind.

Also, even though you only have to beat touch AC, you're stuck with only your dex bonus, as you have no attack roll, vs. most likely just your opponent's dex. Opposed rolls, pretty much, for a d6 of damage. This may kill the party wizard or a sickly rogue/bard. However, you have now spent two turns to have an even chance at doing a d6 of damage.

On the other hand, a falchion wielding half orc barbarian in a rage will disable you with one hit, and on a good damage roll or critical will kill you entirely. Personally, I think at level one the only real improvements are switching to a greatsword, going full orc, and taking improved initiative so you don't take more than one or two attacks before ending the life of your opponent. This rapidly loses effectiveness, however, past level 2.
    I'm going to double-check that, but i think if they cant see you their considered flat footed. Also as far as combat innefectiveness if you lose initiative you cast darkness defensively, take a 5-foot step back and then move backwards, they have no idea where you are.
    I'm the Official Monk Advocate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Excuse me while I invent a spell to scrub my brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    If you play cheese, never complain when you are killed by it.
    Stuff:
    Force Adept

Magician

Proud Hobgoblin slayer of the Daigo Fanclub - So glad You found your Soul Mate!

13. - Top - End - #13

Darkness doesn't block vision, it provides concealment and "shadowy illumination".

That's right, Darkness isn't actually dark.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

How about mario?

1'st level... psywar? Manifests expansion, uses crazy jump check to jump 10 feet up, lands dealing 20d6.

15. - Top - End - #15

NinjaGuy

Level 1 build, eh?

Okay.

Level 1 Pit Fiend Crusader.
    Spell it with me now: X-Y-K-O-N
    "AAAARRGGHH!!!"
    SPLAT!

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Assassinfox View Post
    Level 1 build, eh?

Okay.

Level 1 Pit Fiend Crusader.
    Level 1 means ECL one, not ECL 19 + -. Pit Fiend aren't even frikken' playable.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Bears With Lasers View Post
    Darkness doesn't block vision, it provides concealment and "shadowy illumination".

And if you're really literal, you can cast the spell in real area of 100% total blackness, and it will light things up.
    "'To know, to do, and to keep silent.' Crowley had the first two down pat."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    How about mario?

1'st level... psywar? Manifests expansion, uses crazy jump check to jump 10 feet up, lands dealing 20d6.
    Mario has an LA. He a Paragon, or something.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

19. - Top - End - #19

BardGuy

Strong Heart Halfling or Human Wiz. with two flaws (from Unearthed Arcana). Non Combatant and Inattentive work well. Silent, Still, Quicken, and Innate Spell meta feats. You can cast magic missile once per round. Be the halfling and hide (you should be able to spare a few CC ranks). Even if they close in for melee, you can blast away. Sure its not immediate, but it is consistant and an elcellent way to play a first lv. Wiz who doesn't need to run and hide after casting his one (or 2) useful spells (just hide and blast away).
    Johannes factotum of the Bard Defense League

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one."

The main question that any DM should ask before making a house-rule or exception is, "Is it balanced?"

20. - Top - End - #20

A rather powerful build is an Azurin Incarnate with Improved Essentia Capacity with Dissolving Spittle shaped. They can spit a 3d6 glob of acid 30' as a ranged touch attack every round.

It actually works for several races, including humans if they take a feat that grants them +1 Essentia.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Moogle View Post
    I'm going to double-check that, but i think if they cant see you their considered flat footed. Also as far as combat innefectiveness if you lose initiative you cast darkness defensively, take a 5-foot step back and then move backwards, they have no idea where you are.
    Not being able to see someone is a 50% miss chance, whether from blindness or from them being invisible.

Darkness is only 20%. This is less than half that of not being able to see. Therefore, you've got to assume that they do have some seeing ability. And like I said, it's only 20' from the center, for a total width of 40'. Devil's sight is 30' from you. So unless you enter the darkness, there will still be areas inside that you can't see into any better than the other guy.

They'll only be flatfooted if you win initiative in the first round or get surprise. This is not something you can guarantee. Although since you have two open feats, there's nothing preventing you from taking improved initiative.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Be a wizard... pretty much any race. Pump your charisma and take some handle animal. Sell your spellbook, which is worth an obscene amount of gold. Use the money to buy a horde of Magebreed Riding Dogs. Sick them on the enemy. You can get I think 10 of them this way. Go forth little zerglings!

JaronK

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I'll have to second the 1st level human Sorcerer with a Shortspear for a melee weapon, a Heavy Crossbow, and Sleep as a spell known, with Improved Initiative and Spell Focus (Enchantment). Unless you got a hella Will save, odds are you're going to be knocked out, and CDG'd to death. Even better if he's allowed to pre-buff with Mage Armor, because he's got decent AC.

The level 1 Half-Orc Barbarian with a 20 Str and a Greatsword will also tend to one-shot just about anything if it goes first.

Heck, there's a BUNCH of level 1 builds that will kill any level one build if it can go first. First level builds are front-loaded to kill anything their level in one hit and pray they don't get hit in return.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Hence the wizard with the dogs. He's surrounded by 10 or so magebreed riding dogs, each one of which is strong enough to be a threat to any of the characters mentioned. Sure, you can sleep one or two of them when you get the drop on them, but then what?

JaronK

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    Hence the wizard with the dogs. He's surrounded by 10 or so magebreed riding dogs, each one of which is strong enough to be a threat to any of the characters mentioned. Sure, you can sleep one or two of them when you get the drop on them, but then what?

JaronK
    10 Magebreed Riding Dogs are *WAY* out of the WBL guide for a 1st level character, and they would just as likely attack the wizard, who has only one or two ranks in Handle Animal.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2007-04-17 at 10:44 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

The wizard sells his spellbook in order to afford the (already-trained) Magebreed Riding Dogs. A wizard's spellbook is worth a lot.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bears With Lasers View Post

Here's a minor question that came up in our game just the other day. Can you read in Darkness (say, to cast from a scroll)?

28. - Top - End - #28

Yes.
    Yes, you can. Even if the room was pitch-black before.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    10 Magebreed Riding Dogs are *WAY* out of the WBL guide for a 1st level character, and they would just as likely attack the wizard, who has only one or two ranks in Handle Animal.
    As BWL said, a wizard's spellbook, the one he gets free just for having one level of wizard, is worth thousands of gold. Easily enough for some magebreed riding dogs.

See? Wizards win, no matter what. Even Int 8 wizards, in this case (set all stats to 8 except max out Con and Dex (plus a little charisma), and hide behind a tower shield while your dogs go to town.

EDIT: A spellbook is worth 100gp per page. An Int 8 Wizard starts with all level 0 spells that were ever written for the Wizard, plus 3 level 1 spells. Each of those takes one page. I have no idea how many 0 level spells there are... the PHB has 19, but there's far more than that out there. I'd guess about 50 total in all spatbooks, including the 3 level 1 spells. You can sell the book for half the total value, which is 2500gp. A magebreed riding dog is 300gp, so you can get 8 of them (less than I thought, admittedly). That leaves enough for Scale Male and a tower shield, giving you +8 AC and the option to hide behind it for total cover. You've got 20gp left over for... some water or something. Still, 8 magebreed riding dogs (or 16 reguler ones) are going to run over most anything at level 1.

JaronK
    Last edited by JaronK; 2007-04-17 at 11:04 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

That's some pretty stinky cheeze...

However:

Sorcerer wins initiative, sleeps the wizard. Wizard can no longer command his dogs to go kill anything. Color Spray ought to take care of most of the rest of the dogs. Wade in and CDG the wizard, your only true foe, then leave before the dogs wake up.
    Spoiler
    Show