New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules VII: Mordenkainen's Dysfunction

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Improved Uncanny Dodge and Sneak Attack interact in all sorts of horrendous ways.

Firstly: Assassin grants Improved Uncanny Dodge, and mentions it can be overcome if " rogue at least four levels higher than the assassin can flank him." Is this four more rogue levels than the assassin has rogue levels? Is this four more rogue levels than the assassin has assassin levels? Is it four more rogue levels than the assassin has character levels? If the first, non-rogue Assassins are in a bind, and if the second they're going to be overcome quite a lot.

Secondly: There are classes that are not rogue, but grant sneak attack, such as binder, savant, factotum, spellthief, swordsage, and a long list of prcs (ones like Blackguard that grant, not progress). None of these classes have effective rogue levels, so are powerless against IUD

Thirdly: On a not really dysfunctional note, no classes stack with rogue for the purposes of overcoming Improved Uncanny Dodge, so the ability is made quite stronger in practical play if anyone decides to Prc (as many will). Even Assassin, a DMG class, doesn't address this problem.
    wait that's...

oh man that's all a mess.

cunning strike actually gives factotum an effective rogue level of his class level, and explicitly includes checking for IUD penetration, but everything else you said is accurate.

EDIT: upon actually checking factotum, it says it's for overcoming "uncanny dodge" which is not a thing, wrongly conflating it with improved uncanny dodge. how far down does this rabbit hole go?
    Last edited by Venger; 2015-07-09 at 05:37 PM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ogre in the Playground

So I guess this is one of those weird hidden benefits to being a Rogue, like being able to find and disable the Symbol of X spells?

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    So I guess this is one of those weird hidden benefits to being a Rogue, like being able to find and disable the Symbol of X spells?
    It looks like it. Still not much consolation for Being a straight rogue though
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

4. - Top - End - #694
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, I didn't see this one in the Handbook, so if it's already been said, I apologize... But the Druid spell Antipathy appears to, by RAW, permanently cut by 4 the Dexterity of anyone who passes its Will save. It says it simply reduces their Dexterity, without mentioning their Dexterity going back up when the spell expires or if they go out of the range.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock_Summoner View Post
    Well, I didn't see this one in the Handbook, so if it's already been said, I apologize... But the Druid spell Antipathy appears to, by RAW, permanently cut by 4 the Dexterity of anyone who passes its Will save. It says it simply reduces their Dexterity, without mentioning their Dexterity going back up when the spell expires or if they go out of the range.
    A creature that makes a successful saving throw can stay in the area or touch the item but feels uncomfortable doing so. This distracting discomfort reduces the creature’s Dexterity score by 4 points.
    They only lose the 4 dexterity while uncomfortable, and they're only uncomfortable while in the area. Either way, the effects of the spell end with the spell, except in odd cases like fly, otherwise Animal's Ability Score spells would be hilarious.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

If you have a Strength less than 10, you're better off wielding melee weapons off-hand to halve the strength penalty to damage.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ogre in the Playground

(Pf)

Eaglesoul spell - Switching from passive (hr/lvl) to active (rounds/lvl) mode, when attacking an evil Outsider, is both automatic and a free action. In the case of an Attack of Opportunity, the caster might be both required and unable to switch modes.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    If you have a Strength less than 10, you're better off wielding melee weapons off-hand to halve the strength penalty to damage.
    Are you sure that works that way? The bonus/penalty distinction might keep that from working. Although it is odd that there is a 'floor' of offhand non-proficiency and that its only ever a problem the amazingly strong have.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Banned

PHB 314 defines an unarmed attack as one made "With no weapon in hand." This means attacks with boot blades, spiked armour, and so forth are unarmed strikes, unless you're holding a weapon in your hands.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ogre in the Playground

Are you sure that works that way? The bonus/penalty distinction might keep that from working. Although it is odd that there is a 'floor' of offhand non-proficiency and that its only ever a problem the amazingly strong have.
    You're correct. You apply 1x your strength penalty to damage rolls except in exceptional circumstances.

I can find a few relevant passages here.

Quote Originally Posted by Strength
    [Apply strength to] Damage rolls when using a melee weapon or a thrown weapon (including a sling). (Exceptions: Off-hand attacks receive only one-half the character’s Strength bonus, while two-handed attacks receive one and a half times the Strength bonus. A Strength penalty, but not a bonus, applies to attacks made with a bow that is not a composite bow.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrown Weapons
    The wielder applies his or her Strength modifier to damage dealt by thrown weapons (except for splash weapons).
    Quote Originally Posted by Projectile Weapons
    Light crossbows, slings, heavy crossbows, shortbows, composite shortbows, longbows, composite longbows, hand crossbows, and repeating crossbows are projectile weapons. Most projectile weapons require two hands to use (see specific weapon descriptions). A character gets no Strength bonus on damage rolls with a projectile weapon unless it’s a specially built composite shortbow, specially built composite longbow, or sling. If the character has a penalty for low Strength, apply it to damage rolls when he or she uses a bow or a sling.
    This all shakes out without dysfunction assuming crossbows are not bows, despite the second half of them being "bow".

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    This all shakes out without dysfunction assuming crossbows are not bows, despite the second half of them being "bow".
    No problem there. Crossbows have some rather distinct differences from bows. If names worked that way, guinea pigs and sea cows and sea cucumbers would be quite different.

Also, applying the strength penalty to crossbow damage would be weird. Bows I can understand since we're talking about draw strength and whatnot, but crossbows?

12. - Top - End - #702
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    Also, applying the strength penalty to crossbow damage would be weird. Bows I can understand since we're talking about draw strength and whatnot, but crossbows?
    I dunno, applying a strength bonus/penalty to a gastraphetes would make sense. You'd just have to have different notches for the string for different strengths.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2015-07-11 at 06:47 PM.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    PHB 314 defines an unarmed attack as one made "With no weapon in hand." This means attacks with boot blades, spiked armour, and so forth are unarmed strikes, unless you're holding a weapon in your hands.
    And, from the same thread, crafting a gauntlet is problematic, because there's no listed DC for crafting a simple weapon that isn't light melee or thrown, one-handed melee or thrown or two-handed melee or thrown, and the gauntlet is listed as an unarmed attack rather than any of those.
    In-character problems require in-character solutions. Out-of-character problems require out-of-character solutions.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuickLyRaiNbow View Post
    And, from the same thread, crafting a gauntlet is problematic, because there's no listed DC for crafting a simple weapon that isn't light melee or thrown, one-handed melee or thrown or two-handed melee or thrown, and the gauntlet is listed as an unarmed attack rather than any of those.
    I believe that's because they're considered part of a suit of armor. (Like, they also don't list a craft DC for just the greaves or the gorget.)

15. - Top - End - #705
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Improved Uncanny Dodge and Sneak Attack interact in all sorts of horrendous ways.

Firstly: Assassin grants Improved Uncanny Dodge, and mentions it can be overcome if " rogue at least four levels higher than the assassin can flank him." Is this four more rogue levels than the assassin has rogue levels? Is this four more rogue levels than the assassin has assassin levels?
    This is covered by the next bit:
    "If a character gains uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge, and the levels from those classes stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character."

Can't help/hurt you with the rest.

Bonuses/penalties inherently work differently. Quickest example is that Bonuses by default do NOT necessarily stack, while Penalties by default DO always stack.
    The line in the rules is:
    "When you deal damage with a weapon in your off hand, you add only ½ your Strength bonus."
    It says 1/2 Bonus, not 1/2 Score-Modifier, and nothing about penalties, so penalties would be unaffected.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by QuickLyRaiNbow View Post
    While not D&D by a long shot (but loosely based off of a rival tabletop system), Dragonrealms has a shop where one may buy a 'gauntlet'. This item is not armor that can be worn on the hand, but it is a light bludgeoning weapon. Maybe someone really loved the idea of glove-slapping someone (to death)?
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Bonuses/penalties inherently work differently. Quickest example is that Bonuses by default do NOT necessarily stack, while Penalties by default DO always stack.
    The line in the rules is:
    "When you deal damage with a weapon in your off hand, you add only ½ your Strength bonus."
    It says 1/2 Bonus, not 1/2 Score-Modifier, and nothing about penalties, so penalties would be unaffected.
    After carefully rereading the rules, it looks like this is the case. It's unfortunate that they use the term penalty for multiple things and that they don't clearly spell it out.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

It looks to me like "penalty" has only one meaning, and that it is clearly spelled out.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ettin in the Playground

Some creatures are notably less scary as a Zombie, because they lose their Frightful Presence

20. - Top - End - #710

PirateGuy

They only lose the 4 dexterity while uncomfortable, and they're only uncomfortable while in the area. Either way, the effects of the spell end with the spell, except in odd cases like fly, otherwise Animal's Ability Score spells would be hilarious.
    Couldn't find Fly in the handbook, and I can't see any problems with a cursory reading of the rules. What's that about?

21. - Top - End - #711
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    Couldn't find Fly in the handbook, and I can't see any problems with a cursory reading of the rules. What's that about?
    There's nothing wrong with the fly spell, it's just an example of the spell effect continuing after the spell is dispelled.

22. - Top - End - #712

PirateGuy

There's nothing wrong with the fly spell, it's just an example of the spell effect continuing after the spell is dispelled.
    Doesn't dispelling a spell with a duration end any ongoing effects, though? Or is that the dysfunction?

23. - Top - End - #713
    Banned

Doesn't dispelling a spell with a duration end any ongoing effects, though? Or is that the dysfunction?
    No, the fly spell is a special exception that isn't in any way dysfunctional. I was literally just using it as an example of an exception to the rule that spells end when dispelled.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not a dysfunction, it's just a weird little exception baked into the spell. Specific beats general and whatnot.
    Should the spell duration expire while the subject is still aloft, the magic fails slowly. The subject floats downward 60 feet per round for 1d6 rounds. If it reaches the ground in that amount of time, it lands safely. If not, it falls the rest of the distance, taking 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet of fall. Since dispelling a spell effectively ends it, the subject also descends in this way if the fly spell is dispelled, but not if it is negated by an antimagic field.
    The reason Jormungand brought it up seems to be because it's an exception to the rule that's worth pointing out - that while most effects do end when their durations do, there are some strange little edge cases where that isn't true. Those edge cases need to specifically point it out, though.

EDIT: Swordsage'd.
    Last edited by Gemini476; 2015-07-13 at 09:12 AM.

25. - Top - End - #715

PirateGuy

Oh! I get it now.

That's what I get for perusing the thread looking for dysfunctions So it's an exception, not a dysfunction, and the context is that exceptions (such as Fly) need to be spelled out. Gotcha.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    It looks to me like "penalty" has only one meaning, and that it is clearly spelled out.
    Penalty is used to refer both to negative ability modifiers and to things that effectively change your ability scores (see Ray of Enfeeblement, for instance). The two rules grarrg quoted are referring to different usages of the term penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Some creatures are notably less scary as a Zombie, because they lose their Frightful Presence
    That's not a dysfunction, just a bit odd. Besides, I'd be a lot more afraid of a real dragon than a zombie dragon.
    Last edited by Story; 2015-07-13 at 10:26 AM.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ogre in the Playground

That's not a dysfunction, just a bit odd. Besides, I'd be a lot more afraid of a real dragon than a zombie dragon.
    I was going to mention the Zombie Dragon template from Draconomicon, but then I saw that it specifically mentions that they lose Frightful Presence, although they get to keep all other Extraordinary special attacks that don't have a Charisma-based saving throw.

So yeah, if that's a dysfunction then it's one that the designers figured out themselves and decided that they wanted to keep.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ettin in the Playground

Besides, I'd be a lot more afraid of a real dragon than a zombie dragon.
    Spinosaurus
    Jarilith demon
    Ocean Strider
    Tarrasque

29. - Top - End - #719
    Colossus in the Playground

A zombie human is scarier than a normal human, because of various body horror issues and also because it's turned a (potentially) reasonable person into a mindless, hungry predator.

A dinosaur is already a mindless, hungry predator. Becoming a zombie makes it less scary because instead of a bone-chilling roar, it just sort of moans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, a zombie Tarrasque loses pretty much everything that makes the original threatening besides the natural weapons. All of those special attacks and qualities go straight out the window, and you're left with a critter with 96d12 hit dice and an inability to make full attacks.

It's still threatening, yes, but it's also much more easy to deal with. It only has 624hp, for instance, no Regeneration, DR 5/slashing, and a +58 Bite dealing 4d8+18 damage. That's not the most threatening creature out there.

That's all ignoring the bit where you're getting a Zombie from a creature with more than 10HD, because I'm fairly certain there's some way around that somewhere.