New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Is medium armor worthless?

Is it just me or does medium armor seem worthless. A chain shirt has an AC of +4 with max dex at +4. The breastplate which is supposed to be the best medium armor is only a +5/+3. As a duskblade with only a +1 to dex and can only wear medium armor and still cast at 100%. What are my options?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Is medium armor worthless?

Mithral Full Plate counts as medium armor.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

yeah medium armor gets a bad rap of the forum. Mithrilizing it is popular, mithril breastplate is in my opinion the finest base armor type in the game. medium great for dwarves. well it really depends on ya characters play style, if ya don't have an 18 dex and don't mind the speed reduction, why not go medium?
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Barbarians can wear it.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

5. - Top - End - #5

Planetar

It's not so much that medium armour is worthless, it's that any kind of armour is worthless except for mithral chain shirts, mithral breastplates, and suits of mithral full plate. Once you can afford one of those three, there's no reason ever to wear anything else.

Mithral is really too good, it makes everything else obsolete.

- Saph

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Barbarians can wear it.
    Quite true; medium armor is the best that Barbarians can wear without losing class features. Basically, the only people who wear medium armor are barbarians, or people who can't wear heavy armor but don't have very good dex (I know you'd want good dex, but sometimes you just roll really badly, or get drained, or whatever)

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    It's not so much that medium armour is worthless, it's that any kind of armour is worthless except for mithral chain shirts, mithral breastplates, and suits of mithral full plate. Once you can afford one of those three, there's no reason ever to wear anything else.

- Saph
    Unless you are a dwarf, who doesnt really give a damn about heavy armor movement penalties. In which case, its adamantium full plate all the way, baby!

8. - Top - End - #8

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by daggaz View Post
    Unless you are a dwarf, who doesnt really give a damn about heavy armor movement penalties. In which case, its adamantium full plate all the way, baby!
    Heh. I knew even as I wrote that that someone would have a counterexample I hadn't thought of. :P

I do think Mithral's too good for what it does, though. It would be nice if all the armour types had some kind of use, instead of three-quarters of them becoming obsolete after the first two or three levels.

- Saph

9. - Top - End - #9

Is the damage reduction 3/- really worth the gold?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Well if you make random treasure rolls some very useful non-mithral, non-shirt/breast/plate might present itself and it could be too expensive for the PCs to part with.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post
    Mithral Full Plate counts as medium armor.
    Much to the Glee of my Warblade. :D
    "We are all responsible for everybody."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tor the Fallen View Post
    Is the damage reduction 3/- really worth the gold?
    Combine with that new Magic Item Compedium Crystal that gives an additional DR of 5/- that stacks with your existing DR, yes.

Note the crystal has limited amounts of DR it does before you need to replace it (the limited amount refreshes each day). You can replace it as a move action. Furthemore you can't add the DR 5/- crystal to non heavy armor. You can add the DR 3/- crystal to medium or heavy, and the DR 1/- crystal to light medium or heavy.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2007-04-19 at 02:33 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

13. - Top - End - #13

Not to mention, who ever said you had to pay outright for the armor? You could find it, (as posted above) or you could find the adamantium and craft it yourself.

14. - Top - End - #14

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Actually, I prefer GLASSTEEL from Races of Faerun, or BLUE ICE from Frostburn. They still make it lighter, but have better properties. They don't rust either, which is a plus to me (rusting our good equipment is a hobby of my DM in soem adventures).
    Johannes factotum of the Bard Defense League

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one."

The main question that any DM should ask before making a house-rule or exception is, "Is it balanced?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think Cold Iron and Silvered armors should give DR or AC against vulnerable enemies. For example, Cold Iron could give a bonus against certain Outsiders, while Silvered armor helps against shapeshifters.

It'd have to be a fairly hefty bonus, though, to compete with the benefits from Mithril or Adamantine.

16. - Top - End - #16

I don't think the problem is that Mithral is too good so much as the problem is that Adamantine is so bad. By mid levels, I expect characters to be using better than your average armor, and given the choice between magic-ing up some steel and just getting some fine supermetal, anyone with any foresight will grab the latter. So you take a peek in the back of the DMG for special materials and see Mithral (woot!), Adamantine (bleh!), Dragonhide and Darkwood (either perfect or pointless!), and Cold Iron and Silver (not even options!). Mithral does what it ought to - the problem is that nothing else does.
    Merlin the Tuna

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Adamantine does have one advantage over Mithral, and that is that it's harder to destroy (due to a higher hardness and hit points).

But yeah, there needs to be more options for armor materials. Are there any books with a compilation, perhaps?

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Invictus View Post
    I think Cold Iron and Silvered armors should give DR or AC against vulnerable enemies. For example, Cold Iron could give a bonus against certain Outsiders, while Silvered armor helps against shapeshifters.

It'd have to be a fairly hefty bonus, though, to compete with the benefits from Mithril or Adamantine.
    Cold Iron armor (which I think would be an interesting idea) should have grant some sort of percentage for a spell that would affect you (not including area spells or friendly touch spell, assuming that they would touch a part of you not covered by armor) not to work. For instance, Medium Cold Iron armor would grant a 15% chance that any spell cast on the wearer would simply fizzle out on contact. Light armor might be a 10% chance and heavy might be 20% or 25% chance to fizzle out.

I can't think of anything clever for silvered armor. Especially since silvered weapons are already kind of lame. (-1 to damage, for what?)
    Working on a campaign world or adventure and need feedback?
    Check out this site.

Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Talya
    Anyone casting a ninth level spell should not be just bending the fabric of reality, but chewing up the fabric of reality and spitting it out. It represents an expenditure of raw magical force that should be momentous, and should have similar shock value as the events following Grand Moff Tarkin's "You may fire when ready."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Why everyone forgeting rouges and rangers in padded armor hopping around with 26 Dex?

Yeah, medium armor is bad unless it's forced or free.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Barbarians can wear it.
    and rangers
    and mounted pallys concerned with their acp

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Rangers can only use their combat style in light armour. Paladins needn't worry about that because the ride skill isn't effected by armour check penalty.

22. - Top - End - #22

its good for people that can only wear it, like the duskblade and several other class's with the armored caster feat...so ya its worth it
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

It is also a perfectly good Armour for people with low Dexterity and limited access to wealth and magic - i.e. the vast majority of NPC Warriors and low level Player Characters.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-04-20 at 01:16 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    Adamantine does have one advantage over Mithral, and that is that it's harder to destroy (due to a higher hardness and hit points).
    This supposed "advantage" of adamantine armor is mitigated by the fact that you cannot sunder armor, therefore its only an advantage when your armor is not on your body, at which point it doesn't really matter if the armor is more resiliant because you're in trouble anyways.
    Last edited by Morgan_Scott82; 2007-04-20 at 01:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I wish I could be clever and compile the different materials, but it's getting late here.

Aside from the Glasssteel and Blue ice, there's also Chitin from Sandstorm/Races of the Dragon, which might be any category(IIRC. I mean, different arthropods have different shells. Compare Spider to Scorpion to Lobster). Libris Mortis may have Bonemail, I think.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

26. - Top - End - #26

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    Libris Mortis may have Bonemail, I think.
    Two different bone armors. One's a magic armor, the other's a graft that gets attached directly to your body.
    Spell it with me now: X-Y-K-O-N
    "AAAARRGGHH!!!"
    SPLAT!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Assassinfox View Post
    Two different bone armors. One's a magic armor, the other's a graft that gets attached directly to your body.
    The graft being really naff 'cos it grants natural armour, rather than a bonus to your natural armour. The armours a bit naff too IIRC...wish there were more Undead Armours or some hard and fast rules for crafting them.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

28. - Top - End - #28

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    The graft being really naff 'cos it grants natural armour, rather than a bonus to your natural armour. The armours a bit naff too IIRC...wish there were more Undead Armours or some hard and fast rules for crafting them.
    ... naff? As wordly as I am, I'm unfamiliar with that term.

Does it mean something like bad or horrible?
    "AAAARRGGHH!!!"
    SPLAT!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Assassinfox View Post
    ... naff? As wordly as I am, I'm unfamiliar with that term.

Does it mean something like bad or horrible?
    Yes. It is a derogatory term of the mild variety. Saying something is 'Not good' is about the same sort of level of crapness as 'Naff'.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

30. - Top - End - #30

NinjaGuy

Wouldn't glassteel armor have a problem with... decency?
    "AAAARRGGHH!!!"
    SPLAT!