New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default An odd request...

If any of you have the time and/or knowledge of the source material, I would be most interested to see how you stat the following items for D&D:

The Great Fairy Sword, from LOZ: Majora's Mask
    The Rainbow Katana, from Chrono Trigger
    Brotherhood, from Final Fantasy X
    The Buster Sword, from Final Fantasy VII
    The Atma Sword, from Final Fantasy VI
    Anduril/Narsil, from the Lord of the Rings.

I plan for my party to encounter a collector of legendary swords one of these days, and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding how to make these work in D&D. Any suggestions? I'm assuming they're all of vaguely comparable power.
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

Thanks to Abardam for the dervish avatar!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
    Default Re: An odd request...

Narsil would likely be at least +3, as well as bestowing Improved Sunder on it's wielder. I think they said it was made of Elven steel, so Mithra[i]l.

Definitely Holy, though.
    "We have become like unto tiny refreshing GODS!"
    --Popcorn
    Quoteses, preciousssss...
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Einstrauss View Post
    Player: Heh, that was easy.
    DM: You take 12 lethal damage.
    Player: Huh? From what?
    DM: Raw spite.
    Quote Originally Posted by NecroPaladin View Post
    'FEAR MY CUBESHOES! RAAAAAR!'

Proud owner of one Gold Star, as awarded by Count Chumleigh.
    Member of the Metric System Fan Club.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Ryshan Ynrith View Post
    This one would be interesting. I suppose it would have to have some kind of power that scaled with the user's HP or hit dice.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryshan Ynrith View Post
    The special ability for this one was improved chance of crits right? If so, the keen special ability would be a good choice.
    Special thanks to Mr. Saturn for Silly-Hat Healslime Avie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Guycott's a polygot who flew aeroflot to farm his plot and pray a lot for sunlight(hot!) to warm his cot and avoid getting shot by a man with a smoking pot and a pen that won't blot and a dog named spot.

-M. Nicolai

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I haven't played most of these games, but I think Chrono's sword can be described as a powerful katana (maybe +5?) that can deal an ultrajeous amount of critical hits. Like, 6-20/x2 (75% chance), not affected by Improved Critical. Besides having 3 crits at every 4 attacks, that's not an artifact kind of weapon like most of the others, just a very powerful epic sword.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

I strongly recommend that you peruse Weapons of Legacy, especially for weapons that gain ability as their wielders grow. And, from one Square fan to another, I must also recommend that you pick up the Magic Item Compendium, which includes a materia (!) system.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Narsil, keen mithril longsword ... probably +3 ... possibly Axiomatic? I'd give it some extra special bumps if wielded by the true King. Ghost Touch and Flaming Burst.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tellah View Post
    I strongly recommend that you peruse Weapons of Legacy, especially for weapons that gain ability as their wielders grow. And, from one Square fan to another, I must also recommend that you pick up the Magic Item Compendium, which includes a materia (!) system.

Sounds very interesting...I'll have to pick it up sometime.
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

I'm pretty sure the Great Fairy Sword would be constructed out of very carefully extracted and condensed awesome.
    If you want to play 3.5 with a stupid teenager in Rockville MD, PM me.

EDIT: PLEASE DEAR GOD SOMEONE PLAY WITH ME. I'M SO ALONE.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

2 things

1. I would make Narsil a bastard sword, not a longsword.
    2. The "materia" that you speak of from Magic Item Compendium is awesome. I highly recomend it.

my 2 copper crowns
    jp
    Thanks to DarkCorax for the "Gnome Wizard", which holds a special place in my heart as it's the first DnD character I'd ever made.

Live everyday like it's your last and one day, you'll be right.

11. - Top - End - #11

NinjaGuy

The Buster Sword would be a Fullblade from Arms and Equipment Guide.
    Spell it with me now: X-Y-K-O-N
    "AAAARRGGHH!!!"
    SPLAT!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Caladbolg, from FF-X, has a direct copy in Weapons of Legacy already.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

More importantly, stat a Blitzball from FFX
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Throwing returning cannonball +1.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Narsil is a hand-and-a-half (a.k.a. Bastard) sword. It would also have the special power to rebuke undead if wielded by the true king.

I'd like to say add my voice to Magic Item Compendium rocks group. (go "materia")

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I think Narsil's probably ghost touch, though that's just what I'm going on from the movie.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Brotherhood? Isn't that the one Wakka gives you in the beginning that randomly gains +10% Water Damage, as well as other awesomeness, at some other point in the game?

Brotherhood wasn't the greatest sword... I'd give it a bonus against fire-based creatures, a personality all its own (roll 1d6 for attack bonus first - 3 is +0, 2 is -1, 4 is +1, etc; then roll for damage on a regular d20). I'm only saying roll for bonus because Brotherhood was only useful half of the time. Plus, rolling for the bonus gives added annoyance (yay evil DMs!).

Edit: Nevermind, I was obviously on drugs. Brotherhood has Waterstrike, Strength +10%, Strength +5% and Sensor. This still doesn't make it the greatest sword, because I'd definitely rather have Deathstrike or Sleepstrike; Waterstrike was a finicky stat. Strength +15% was fine, but I think an epic weapon should be higher than that. As for sensor... perhaps you get a knowledge check with a +5 on every monster you encounter? If you succeed, you get stats, BAB, damage reduction, the works.
    Last edited by Wystrell; 2007-04-19 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Went to find the actual stats of the sword.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tataraus View Post
    Narsil is a hand-and-a-half (a.k.a. Bastard) sword. It would also have the special power to rebuke undead if wielded by the true king.

I'd like to say add my voice to Magic Item Compendium rocks group. (go "materia")
    That's the movie version. It's not at all clear what kind of Swords Narsil or Andúril are in the books, but more than likely they are single handed weapons (or D&D Long Swords), since Argaron takes up a shield at his arming prior to the Siege of Helm's Deep.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-04-19 at 09:52 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

19. - Top - End - #19

Although I am basing my opinion, on Narsil being a bastard sword, on the movies, I do that becuase I agree with you that it doens't specify the size of it in the book and the movie is, at least, something to visualize. And as far as him taking up a shield, he coulda had Exotic Weapon Prof. Bastard Sword. Do not argue, my logic is flawless..................

(yes, I'm cutting a joke)
    Thanks to DarkCorax for the "Gnome Wizard", which holds a special place in my heart as it's the first DnD character I'd ever made.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Anduril should definitely be flaming or flaming burst, if you reference its name (flame of the west) and the beginning of one of the last battles. I cant remember if its the fields or the gates, but it references it shining like a flame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anduril

This has the quotations for the Flaming quality. The one with the Orc helm might entail Flaming Burst.
    The universe (which others call the Library) is made up of an indefinite, perhaps infinite number of hexagonal rooms.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wystrell View Post
    Brotherhood? Isn't that the one Wakka gives you in the beginning that randomly gains +10% Water Damage, as well as other awesomeness, at some other point in the game?

Brotherhood wasn't the greatest sword... I'd give it a bonus against fire-based creatures, a personality all its own (roll 1d6 for attack bonus first - 3 is +0, 2 is -1, 4 is +1, etc; then roll for damage on a regular d20). I'm only saying roll for bonus because Brotherhood was only useful half of the time. Plus, rolling for the bonus gives added annoyance (yay evil DMs!).

Edit: Nevermind, I was obviously on drugs. Brotherhood has Waterstrike, Strength +10%, Strength +5% and Sensor. This still doesn't make it the greatest sword, because I'd definitely rather have Deathstrike or Sleepstrike; Waterstrike was a finicky stat. Strength +15% was fine, but I think an epic weapon should be higher than that. As for sensor... perhaps you get a knowledge check with a +5 on every monster you encounter? If you succeed, you get stats, BAB, damage reduction, the works.
    I was going for their iconic weapons more than their ultimate ones, but yeah...perhaps I should use Caladbolg and Ultima instead of Brotherhood and the Buster Sword.

Thanks for all the responses thus far...also, any suggestions to add to this list?
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    That's the movie version. It's not at all clear what kind of Swords Narsil or Andúril are in the books, but more than likely they are single handed weapons (or D&D Long Swords), since Argaron takes up a shield at his arming prior to the Siege of Helm's Deep.
    Now, I'm all in favor of staying true to the original source, but the book version is a bit... flashier. The PCs would appreciate that more.

---

OP: You'd probably want to consider asking this on homebrew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

23. - Top - End - #23

Sting maybe? +1 Dagger, orc & goblin bane + glows cold blue when its enemies are near, may be weilded by a small creature as if it was a small shortsword.

The weilder of Naarsil should get the improved sunder feat while weilding it, as well as it ignoring the hardness of an object.
    Last edited by Tor the Fallen; 2007-04-19 at 10:58 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey, quick question: What is the materia in the Magic Item Compedium? I've only had a chance to browse it.
    Custom avatar by Vael
    Nexus-R.C. Mina gives the best compliments ever.
    Spoiler
    Show

To read a text that "Methodical Meat" has writ
    Is no easy feat, but it shall be well worth it
    For the flames of his spectacled genius
    Delve deep into you and many neurons it hews
    And asunder them rends
    And once more mends
    Methodically he arrays them again
    His readers' brains,
    From meaty stains
    New seeming, and better than before
    He leaves his readers better than before!

25. - Top - End - #25

Well, we're calling it "materia" becuase thats what it resembles. It is in fact, crystals that can be added to your weapons and armor to provide different types of bonuses and such.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MethodicalMeat View Post
    Hey, quick question: What is the materia in the Magic Item Compedium? I've only had a chance to browse it.
    They are called "Augment Crystals," and they allow players to swap out magical enhancements on weapons and armor with a move action. Because these enhancements are a flat cost and stack with regular enchantments, they represent a boost to the power and flexibility of fighter-type characters.

They give me a nerdgasm.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

As suggested, I'd make this a regular bastard sword +1 with some sort of special 'keen' ability. "6-20" is probably too ridiculous, but you could probably put it line with other +5 swords if it simply crit from "12-20" or something.

Brotherhood, from Final Fantasy X
    How about a +1 longsword of frost? The ability to add a bonus to knowledge checks isn't a bad idea.

The Buster Sword, from Final Fantasy VII
    I would just make this a large Greatsword.

I'd make this a major artifact; it's ability would be to deal damage equal to your hitdice with each swing, with the caveat that you couldn't deal more damage than you yourself had HP. It's shape would change depending on the amount of hitpoints you had, but could be wielding as if it were a short sword.

- Eddie

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Atma weapon! I like that! I like suggestions so far, but I though it dealt damage depending on your health, so two possibilities:

Umm, Longsword +1 with another +1 for every hd the creature possesses.

However, I prefer, Longsword +1, with an extra +1 for every 10% of maximum hp that a creature currently has.

And it is an artifact, since barring the Ragnorak sword or the Illumina it's just about the most powerful ne in the game. Which makes me think of how someone would stat out the Atma monster...
    "Glory to the madmen who go about life as if they were immortal! Glory to the brave, who dare to love, knowing that one day it will all come to an end!"
    ~The Wizard, An Ordinary Miracle.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Suggestions for other swords?

How about Stormbringer and Mourneblade from the Elric saga.

Sword of Truth from Sword of Truth series.

The Sword of Martin from the Redwall series.

Any of the Keyblades from Kingdom Hearts.

The sword that is not a sword from Wheel of Time.
    Last edited by silentknight; 2007-04-20 at 12:43 PM.
    A silent knight is better than a holey knight.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now, I'm all in favor of staying true to the original source, but the book version is a bit... flashier. The PCs would appreciate that more.
    Do you mean 'the movie version is a bit... flashier'?
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-04-20 at 01:00 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)