New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Advice for fighting dragons

Let's assume you're a grizzled, old adventurer who hangs out in the local adventurer's tavern reminiscing about the old days. Even though you don't have Perform (oratory), the younger crowd always perk up their ears when you spin tales of your past escapades just because they know you'll drop crumbs of wisdom that could save them next time they're facing off against a BBEG.

A group of four heads your way from the bar. You'd guess they're about 15th level judging from the battle scars and the mismatched magical equipment they've gathered over many a dungeon crawl. It's quite obvious they're a traditional crew: fighter, cleric, rogue, and sorcerer.

How typical, the high-charisma sorcerer is the spokesperson. He offers you a mug of the good ale and speaks: "Good sir, you are famed far and wide as a most experienced champion against dragon kind. We seek to overcome a black dragon by the name of Beschesque. What advice give you to tip the odds in our favor? Be it equipment to purchase, spells to prepare, or tactics to employ."

You've heard of this Beschesque; he's about a CR16 so it will be a tough battle. Hmm, what advice could you give?
    R
    <sig><something cool/><something witty/></sig>

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Advice for fighting dragons

Don't fight the dragon. Go and burn down and pillage the local temple of Lathander and leave evidence that the Black Dragon committed the crime.
    Right, right, right, I heard you the first time.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Plan ahead. Find out as much as you can about the dragon in advance - you'll need all the edges you can get.

As for spells, acid resistance is obvious. Some kind of fly speed or mobility booster is essential for the melee fighters, otherwise the dragon can just stay airborne and avoid all your attacks.

Tactics-wise, the most important thing is don't stand next to him! Dragons do an insane amount of damage on a full attack. Don't let them get one. My party fought a high-CR dragon a little while ago. It wiped out the other four members of my group for exactly that reason - they let it full attack them. I managed to survive and keep going for 7-8 rounds on my own because I didn't.

Finally, if you can figure out a way to avoid fighting the dragon at all, do it. A CR 16 dragon against a normal CR 15 party isn't all that great a matchup.

- Saph

4. - Top - End - #4

Well, all it takes is a talented mage, and you should be able to take the dragon on without too many problems. Have your warriors scatter so it has to make fly-by attacks, and have the sorcerer move into range, and use the Arcane Reach he learned as an Archmage to deliver an Irresistible Dance--although you may wish to dispel the dragon, first (a Rod of Quicken Spell can help, there).

Alternatively, if you can access fantastic spells beyond those commonly taught (i.e. non-PHB sources), you can hit the dragon where it hurts: its agility. Drain that away, and the dragon is so much meat.

Of course, keep in mind it will have its lair underwater, in a swamp, so make sure you can fight in that environment. True Seeing should pierce away any illusions. Find it, hit it with the right spells--and it's gone. Even if you lack the right spells, provided you're clever or charismatic enough, simple mind-assaulting spells should do the job. It just might take a few of them.

PROTIP: a Heroes' Feast will keep you all safe and sound from the dragon's terrifying aura.
    Last edited by Bears With Lasers; 2007-04-23 at 07:44 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Bears- A 15th level sorcerer has neither the 7th-level slot which Arcane Reach costs (or equivalently required for the Archmage PC), nor the 8th-level slot Irresistable Dance requires.

Of course, Rays of Clumsiness and Exhaustion are still a killer.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gareth the human Transmuter
    Ajax the human Seer
    Grimshander the artic gnome Sorcerer
    Ulfgar the dwarven Cleric
    Froben the gnomish Rogue/Illusionist
    Granger the human Ranger
    and DMing Diabolical Urban Intrigue in Bristol
    and refereeing Wizard vs. Fighter: Arena Grudgematch

6. - Top - End - #6

A 15th-level sorcerer has 7th-level spells. He got them at 14th level. He doesn't have 8th level spells, which is his own damn fault for being a soceror rather than a wizard. :P
    Solution: get a wizard to do the job. Or just hammer away at the dragon with Insanity and the like.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

http://bb.bbboy.net/thegamingden-vie...=818&postnum=0 has a bunch of tips, of various levels of quality. Frank Trollman's posts, as usual, are the best of the lot.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by redwood View Post
    Let's assume you're a grizzled, old adventurer who hangs out in the local adventurer's tavern reminiscing about the old days. Even though you don't have Perform (oratory), the younger crowd always perk up their ears when you spin tales of your past escapades just because they know you'll drop crumbs of wisdom that could save them next time they're facing off against a BBEG.

A group of four heads your way from the bar. You'd guess they're about 15th level judging from the battle scars and the mismatched magical equipment they've gathered over many a dungeon crawl. It's quite obvious they're a traditional crew: fighter, cleric, rogue, and sorcerer.

How typical, the high-charisma sorcerer is the spokesperson. He offers you a mug of the good ale and speaks: "Good sir, you are famed far and wide as a most experienced champion against dragon kind. We seek to overcome a black dragon by the name of Beschesque. What advice give you to tip the odds in our favor? Be it equipment to purchase, spells to prepare, or tactics to employ."

You've heard of this Beschesque; he's about a CR16 so it will be a tough battle. Hmm, what advice could you give?
    "Mmmm... well, you ask me, Beschesque will eat you young whippersnappers for dinner. But if you're bent on tryin' anyway, here's my advice.

"First, get yerself some protection from his breath, dangit! I see you've got a holy feller there, he oughta be able to fix you up. Make sure you get the charm that soaks up the whole blast, though [Protection from Energy]. Don't never all stand in a line, neither. You'd think that'd go without sayin', but you'd be surprised how often folks'll end up all lined up in a neat row, and all the dragon's gotta do is crane his neck around and spray you all down. You want to spread out, so he can't blast more'n one or two o' you.

"Second, dragons is scary. Not like a big bear is scary, or even like an explodin' mountain is scary, but like a demon from the blackest pits o' hell that's comin' for yer soul is scary. Brave men turn into quiverin' heaps when a dragon looks at 'em. You want some kind o' spells to protect you against fear, or half yer crew is gonna break and run before the fight even gets started.

"Third, don't tackle him in the open if you can avoid it. You look mighty fancy with that big sword, young man, but lookin' fancy is about all you're gonna do if Beschesque can get off the ground. Best to take him in his lair if you can--but watch out, 'cause a smart dragon will set traps around his cave. And they're all smart. Bring along bows, because if he do get skyborne you're gonna need 'em.

"Fourth, don't stand toe-to-toe with him. Leastways, not unless you got one hell of a sturdy shield and armor like St. Cuthbert hisself. Remember, he's twenty tons of claws and scales and pure black hate, and you're just a feller with a steel toothpick. You hit him and you back away. Keep him comin' after you, don't you go to him.

"Fifth, you there with the purty hat and the pouch o' bat wings. You're gonna be the one what does him in, and don't you ferget it. You stand well back and pound him with magic. You know how to cast that one, whatcher call it, that Assay Spell Resistance thing? No? Well, get yerself a scroll, then! Last thing you want is yer spells bouncin' off. Lots o' sorcerors go in fer blastin' spells, balls o' fire and storms o' ice and whatnot. I hope you got more sense, there's better ways, but if blastin's what you got, well, then, blast away. Bring along a wand if you have to.

"And if you do got better spells, remember--messin' with his mind is easier'n messin' with his body. Not that either one is what you call a cakewalk, mind you. There's that one spell that shoots this black ray [Enervation], that's a good way to lead off. Suck out some o' his life force first an' he'll be an easier target for whatever you're gonna do next.

"While he's doing that, the holy feller there better be up front and center, or that big lad with the sword and the scruffy-lookin' lass with the daggers are gonna be puddles o' goo on the floor. Yer job is to keep yer buddies alive, maybe dish out a little pain yerself, but fer the sake o' whatever gods you pray to, keep him off the sorceror! Smart dragons go fer the wizardly folks first, an' like I said, they're all smart.

"An' last of all, make sure you've got an escape route for when things go bad. Dragons is fast. You ain't gonna get far tryin' to outrun him, nor outflyin' him neither. Either you get yerself a hidey-hole of some kind that's too small for him to fit in--an' it better have a back door--or you get one o' them teleportin' scrolls or some such. Or some o' them spooky horses the wizards ride [Phantom Steed]. Them's about the only things that go faster'n a dragon on the wing.

"That's about all I got to say. Might keep you sorry lot alive. Just keep in mind"--holds up hand with strangely melted-looking little finger--"better men than you have tangled with Beschesque, an' he's still there..."
    Last edited by Dausuul; 2007-04-23 at 09:06 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

The biggest exploitable dragon weaknesses-

Their type. A lot of dragons have a very specific weakness that a proper band of adventurers can use to their advantage. A little research ahead of time on particular dragons will aid the party tremendously.

Their size. Except when they're quite young and hardly a threat, they're going to have trouble getting into small holes. If you force a dragon to fight you through a narrow hallway, he's going to be limited to his breath weapon. Depending on how you've prepared, this might make a dragon highly ineffective at dealing damage to your squishy little bodies.

Arrogance. Evil dragons especially have an ego problem. They don't consider you walking meals to be very dangerous. This can be played up to lower a dragon's guard and perhaps lead to a surprise attack.

Flight. Yes, dragons can fly. But their maneuverability is horrid. If the party is benefiting from most any sort of flight spell, they can escape the dragon's powerful attacks.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of adventurers, for you are expendable and full of EXP.

Overblown fantasy action/adventure/comedy/drama/spoof. Updates M/W/F

10. - Top - End - #10

Fighting the dragon in close quarters is actually a bad idea. If you do that, the dragon will full attack. If the dragon full attacks, people will die.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

"Ah, wait. I forgot one thing. I have this friend, a fletcher. Your normal arrows won't do much 'gainst tough dragon hide, so if'n you think you'll need to resort to your bows, you might want some o' the special stuff as he makes [Arrows of Slaying, Bane Arrows]."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Heh.

The grizzled adventurer coughs into his hand, leaving small flecks of blood behind and speaks in a bass-barritone hum "The fightin' o' Dragons is not for the weak of spirit, firepower and a set of stones the size of roc eggs is what ye' need." he thinks for a moment and then reaches under the table "Or this dragon-slaying sword I have from the old days, its quite handy"...

For those people playing at home. The sword isn't magical. He's going to skip town while they are gone. :)
    Initiate Cleric of Skaroq

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    The most powerful monster in DnD? The DM of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    5216. The Gray Guard PrC, despite being a righteous knight who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, does NOT mean you are Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus_Samma View Post
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Might I add that the cleric, by this time should have divination, maybe commune. (don't have my books with me). It would help to know what the dragon can do. Protection from Acid is great, and then you find out that the dragon augments his breath weapon.
    If I had a choice, I\'d fight Vampires over Ninjas, but Vampire Ninjas, I think not!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

I'd suggest packing alot of Baking Soda. Nothing neutralizes acid better.

15. - Top - End - #15

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Heh.

..a set of stones the size of roc eggs is what ye' need.
    Oh, right, you mean to throw with with the Hulking Hurler PrC? Those are indeed quite handy for dragon-smacking.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Step One: Summon The Tarrasque.
    Step Two: ???
    Step Three: Profit!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Re: Advice for fighting dragons

Never, EVER fight a dragon that is prepared and waiting for you. This is a BAD IDEA. Dragons have all sorts of crap they can pull in advance to tip the odds in their favor.

In terms of things you can do, I'd say get it onto open ground, and make sure it can't fly (strafing = win for dragon). Mobility is KEY for a dragon, minimize it. A cavern would be even better (less tinkering required) but it might be hard to trick a dragon with 20+ intelligence into a cavern that won't let him take full use of his abilities. Don't fight in a tunnel where you can only come one at a time. Find a way to neutralize its breath weapon, since that is the most efficient form of damage it can deal vs. multiple opponents (at least make sure that a single breath will hit as few of you as possible). Don't let your fighter take all the hits, he will be dead within six three seconds if the dragon should choose to full attack him.

Save-or-sucks/die/lose are good, but probably unlikely to work due to dragons' rediculously high save modifiers.
    If a cute girl with a red sash and overalls on slips you a note, ignore it, forget it, and sic the police on her.

You receive ten fail points. You may spend them as you see fit.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Enzario View Post
    In terms of things you can do, I'd say get it onto open ground, and make sure it can't fly (strafing = win for dragon). Mobility is KEY for a dragon, minimize it. A cavern would be even better (less tinkering required) but it might be hard to trick a dragon with 20+ intelligence into a cavern that won't let him take full use of his abilities. Don't fight in a tunnel where you can only come one at a time. Find a way to neutralize its breath weapon, since that is the most efficient form of damage it can deal vs. multiple opponents (at least make sure that a single breath will hit as few of you as possible). Don't let your fighter take all the hits, he will be dead within six three seconds if the dragon should choose to full attack him.

If it's on open ground, it can fly. A big cavern... it can still fly. A smaller cavern, it's easy for it to full attack you, and you should avoid that at all costs. Take the breath weapon, it does a lot less damage.\

Save-or-sucks/die/lose are good, but probably unlikely to work due to dragons' rediculously high save modifiers.
    Not true. One of your top-level spells should have about a 50% chance to beat the dragon's will save at any given CR, actually.
    And if you hit it with Enervation, that's save penalties right there.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're worried about it flying, you can prepare Downdraft. I always bring that fighting dragons, as well as Dragonwise and Antidragon aura. It couldn't hurt to bring Remove fear either.

Edit: Oh yeah, and for some reason, my group has found that being inside your enemy is better than outside. Get swallowed, if you can.

Or maybe that's just my group...
    Last edited by mikeejimbo; 2007-04-23 at 10:28 PM.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

20. - Top - End - #20

Get swallowed by the dragon.

Now, activate your immovable rod...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

Oh yeah, and for some reason, my group has found that being inside your enemy is better than outside. Get swallowed, if you can.
    I had a player once subdue the tarresque in that manner. Didn't kill it but tore it in half. Nothing gives better indigestion then a swallowed Wizard with a staff of power who then decides to break it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

haha, dragons...i love 'em. definetly get the acid resistance. have the sorceror do drain spells. yadda yadda. what i havent seen people bring up much is the cleric. if you have a heal cleric, have him sit next to the sorceror. he will not do combat unless the sorceror is threatened. sling off some healing spells as needed. if he's a buff cleric, buff the fighter with str and con and protection spells. the fighter should be good as gold to run in. if the cleric is a harm cleric, he'll be the one in main melee. have the fighter draw aggro (sry) and keep the dragon off of the cleric. use your weakest spells first. you never know when you'll need a super awesome inflict spell up the road. for the rogue, invest ranks in use magic device and brings tons of scrolls. fireball, inflict, heal it doesnt matter what scrolls you briong, just make sure you're loaded with papyrus!
    &&

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Step 1: Get the Spell Compendium.
    Step 2: Learn ray of clumsiness.
    Step 3: Learn other rays (ray of stupidity, ray of enfeeblement, ray of exhaustion, enervation).
    (If neccessary, cast fly on the fighter)
    Step 4: Kill the dragon.

BTW - stay away from Frostburn, that's just asking for DM-smiting.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Spend ten minutes to get acquainted with a scroll of Major Creation [Antimatter]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Create anti-matter?

That's all kinds of wrong...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Koga View Post
    Create anti-matter?

That's all kinds of wrong...
    Perfectly legal by RAW, as long as you have a good idea of what it is.

27. - Top - End - #27

Which should be something like a DC 110 knowledge (Astrophysics) check, in a pseudo medieval setting.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mojotech View Post
    Oh, right, you mean to throw with with the Hulking Hurler PrC? Those are indeed quite handy for dragon-smacking.
    Ah... I was using stones there as a euphemism... for balls.
    I was implying bravery?

Spoiler
    Show
    5216. The Gray Guard PrC, despite being a righteous knight who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, does NOT mean you are Batman.
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

29. - Top - End - #29

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Ah... I was using stones there as a euphemism... for balls.
    I was implying bravery?
    Yes, I purpousefully failed my Innuendo roll there for the purpouses of Comedy. :P

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Indeed. Ah Subtlety. How the internet wounds thee...

Spoiler
    Show