New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Monk: Flurry of Blows

Okay, this is a thread about the Monk's flurry of blows. Why? Because I find it somewhat confusing. (This is not a thread about monks in general, just flurry of blows.)

First off, is there any reason NOT to use it constantly? There doesn't appear to be any downsides to it, unless you count "extra attacks" to be a downside... (The fact it has it's own BAB table and isn't just included witht he monk's regular BAB makes me think there should be a downside somewhere.)

Second, Is the ability only "Balanced" because of the monk's low BAB progression? What would happen if, say, you gave the ability to a fighter?

Edit: Third, at what point would you consider extra attacks becoming "Overpowered"?

There's other questions I'm sure, but I can't think of any at the moment.
    Last edited by Eldritch_Ent; 2007-04-29 at 12:42 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Monk: Flurry of Blows

Once you're high level 9, there's no penalty anymore so you pretty much should use it all the time, yes. It has it's own attack bonus column because it can be a little confusing keeping track of when you get the second flurry attack and when the attack penalties decrease.

3. - Top - End - #3

You take a -2 penalty to attacks until level five, and then a -1 penalty until ninth. After that, no, there's no reason not to use it.

Until then, though, you're often better off going with your regular attack, especially since monks tend not to have very high attack bonuses anyway.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

At first, it gives you an attack penalty. A level 1 Monk can get two attacks with flurry, but they are each at -2 from his normal attack bonus. Once you reach Monk 9, however, the penalty goes away and there is no reason not to use it every time you make a full attack.

It's "balanced" both by average BAB, a limited list of subpar weapons it can be used with, and the requirement to be unarmored. Removing any or all of these factors would substantially increase the ability's power, but it wouldn't be anywhere near enough to bring a non ToB melee class up to the power level of full casters.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

5. - Top - End - #5

Hell, it would barely be enough to bring the monk up to the fighter's level.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Meh, a monk's real power lies in her saves. Mmmm multiclassing monk.

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Villainous Monsters, providing a list of worthy opponents for use in any OGL game: monsters with PC levels

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    Hell, it would barely be enough to bring the monk up to the fighter's level.
    "But... four attacks!"

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    "But... four attacks!"
    Yes. Four unarmed (if powerful) attacks that with the right feats overcome damage reduction on most mundane creatures. But what is it they lack? Oh yeah, enchantability.

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Villainous Monsters, providing a list of worthy opponents for use in any OGL game: monsters with PC levels

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Four attacks that barely hits, and barely do any damage.

And by the time they do hit, a fighter/barbarian will be power attacking for far more damage.

Normal Monk isn't worth it even for flurry.

----------------------------

That said I don't have this book, but the eberron book Secrets of Sarlona has a great monk feat. Tashalatora requires the feat Monastic Training in a psionic class. Make the psionic class the prestige class Warmind.

Tashalatora for the cost of two feats progresses your monk Unarmed Damage, Flurry of Blows, and Monk AC whenever you take levels in that psionic class.

Thus a Monk 4/Fighter 1/Warmind 10/X 5 (X being full bab)
    will have the Monk Unarmed Damage of a 14th lvl monk (superior unarmed strike and a monk belt will make it 20), have a bab of 19, flurry as a 14th lvl monk, have 70+power points with 6 powers known up to 5th lvl psychic warrior powers.

Have your party wizard cast some buffs on you (Greater Magic Weapon, Greater Magic Wallop, Greater Mage Armor), and invest in a mode of flight and you can go to town.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kevka Palazzo View Post
    Yes. Four unarmed (if powerful) attacks that with the right feats overcome damage reduction on most mundane creatures. But what is it they lack? Oh yeah, enchantability.
    Monk Redux

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Four attacks that barely hits, and barely do any damage.

And by the time they do hit, a fighter/barbarian will be power attacking for far more damage.

Normal Monk isn't worth it even for flurry.
    No, the proper comeback is:

Spoiler
    Show
    "What a waste. While the rest of us were having fun and talking to girls, you were at home in the monastery, learning to use your 'bare hands,' if you get my drift."
    "So... lonely... and for what? Bwaaaaaaah!"
    "There, there. It's not your fault your class fails to achieve its basic design intent. Now get the hell out of here before a man with a REAL class decides to change the meaning of the phrase, 'fighting unarmed.'"
    Last edited by Turcano; 2007-04-29 at 01:46 AM.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

To answer the OP, yes there are times when flurry is a bad plan. Flurry gives you only your strength as a bonus to damage, but you could instead use a quarterstaff two handed and get 1.5X strength to damage, which may well be necessary for getting through DR.

JaronK

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

In 3.0, Monks had a "unarmed Base Attack" that was the normal BAB, but with extra attacks based on "-3" instead of "-5", with the option to flurry, like a TWF for unarmed attack, and later the feat Lightning Fist that was like Improved TWF for unarmed. In 3.5 they got hid of the unarmed extra attacks and mixed it direcly with the flurry. So, the problems with flurry: At lower levels, you get a penalty to attack, like TWF. At higher levels, you rarely have the chance to flurry, needing to resort to charges more often, and you can do more damage with two handed weapons. But if you can do a full attack and is not using any special weapon, you should always flurry.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actually, according to 3.5, a Monk's unarmed strikes count as weapons for the purpose of spells and abilities that enhance weapons or natural weapons. A Psionic Monk could use either Weapons of Energy or Claws of Energy on his unarmed strikes as if his fists and feet were natural or manufactured weapons.

15. - Top - End - #15

You take a -2 penalty to attacks until level five, and then a -1 penalty until ninth. After that, no, there's no reason not to use it.

Until then, though, you're often better off going with your regular attack, especially since monks tend not to have very high attack bonuses anyway.
    If I recall correctly it is often better to take a penalty to attack rolls if it means you can make an extra attack. This is obvious against low AC critters, but goes for high AC opponents all the same. Just don't expect both attacks to hit, you should expect a larger chance for one of the attacks to hit.
    I can't recall my exact calculations, but it came down to something like "only if the penalty means you have to roll a 20 to hit you shouldn't take a penalty to get extra attacks." This may be incorrect, but it was something like that.
    Ein gutes Gedicht ist nicht dazu da, die Welt zu verbessern – es ist selbst ein Stück verbesserte Welt.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pax_Chi View Post
    Actually, according to 3.5, a Monk's unarmed strikes count as weapons for the purpose of spells and abilities that enhance weapons or natural weapons. A Psionic Monk could use either Weapons of Energy or Claws of Energy on his unarmed strikes as if his fists and feet were natural or manufactured weapons.
    Yes. So you rely on your caster friend even more than a fighter does, as you can't permanently enchant your fists.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Which, some would say, is why the Kensai class was created.

JaronK

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Or you take levels in Kensai...
    Edit: Ack! How could the ninja be ninja'd.
    It makes no sense!
    Last edited by Ninja Chocobo; 2007-04-29 at 04:53 AM.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

And here I was thinking this was a thread about monks.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Hehe, I ninja'd the ninja!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

It is. But some PrCs are created to go with certain base classes... Frenzied Berserker off of Barbarian, for example, or Radient Servant of Pelor off of Cleric. Any discussion of the balance of the base class should at least consider base classes designed to go well with that class, and the Kensai is well designed to fit with monks (allows you to keep taking levels of monk, must be lawful, can enchant fists).

JaronK

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Not true. The increased number of attacks makes it worthwhile in almost all circumstances. At first level, for instance, you either break even or come out ahead by using Flurry, unless your opponent has an AC of exactly 18 plus your non-Flurrying attack bonus. (At 17 or 19, you average the same number of hits whether you Flurry or not, and at 20+ or 16-, Flurry wins.)

Unless you happen to know your opponent's exact AC, the main reason for not Flurrying is that you had to spend a move action or charge to reach the target and so can't Flurry this round.
    Last edited by Dausuul; 2007-04-29 at 04:58 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Thanks Dausuul for providing the crunch I missed in my post.
    Ein gutes Gedicht ist nicht dazu da, die Welt zu verbessern – es ist selbst ein Stück verbesserte Welt.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course, since your fists are mindless, they can't be enchanted. They could be imbued, enhanced or other adjectives though.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Isn't there a necklace in Savage Species (terrible book, I know) that allows you to put enhancement bonuses on it that transfer to natural attacks?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

combine improved natural attack from MM and superior natural attack from book of nine swords and a monks fists are bruce lee death. if your good add sactify and then holy ki strike and your rolling fistfuls of dice. yeah the flurry becomes pretty much a regular of full choice attacks as it gets better. you can add two weapon fighting, rules are on wizards site, but the penalties and perhaps better feat choices make it's choosing your own choice.
    Last edited by the_tick_rules; 2007-04-29 at 09:51 AM.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, what you want is that Whirling Steel Ebberon Feat that lets you use a Long Sword as part of a Flurry of Blows. Start out as a Human Fighter 1 and switch into Monk... or be a Sword Sage or whatever...
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

My only question about natural attacks is this.
    2,000+MW weapon price makes a 2d6 greatsword have a +1 magical bonus.
    Yet, 6,000 gp for an item that increases your natural weapons with a +1 Magical Bonus. Why the extra 4k gp? Is it really THAT powerful?
    Spoiler
    Show

“I’m sorry, I’ll try to bleed to death more coherently” – Typha-knee (Exiern)

“After all, Nothing annoys the DM more than a moving target.”

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falconsflight View Post
    Yet, 6,000 gp for an item that increases your natural weapons with a +1 Magical Bonus. Why the extra 4k gp? Is it really THAT powerful?
    Oh look, I'm a thri-kreen, all 5 of my natural weapons (plus my unarmed strikes, which I can have a boatload of with MWF/flurry) are now +1.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2007-04-29 at 06:33 PM.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by squishycube View Post
    "only if the penalty means you have to roll a 20 to hit you shouldn't take a penalty to get extra attacks."
    Well, if you have to roll a 20 to hit, swing as many times as you can. More chances to critical that way.