New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default "I wish for a feat!"

Hey all,

I was wondering how you would handle this request from a player. Assuming they have the prerequisites for a given feat and the money for the Wish spell, would you grant them a wish for a new feat? If so, how many times?

I thinking of allowing a player to wish for 2 or 3 feats during their character's existence. I'm also tossing around the idea of requiring two immediate castings of the wish spell, the first one to bestow it upon the character temporarily (say a week) and a second one to make it permanent. Or maybe require the Permanency spell casting instead of the second wish.

So, what do you all think? Unbalancing? Too harsh requiring two castings of a 9th level wizard spell for this effect?

Thanks,

Dizlag

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: "I wish for a feat!"

50K for a feat? Baaaad.

No, seriously. Feats = very, very good. 50K for one feat? Forever? Think about the carnage with builds that say "we're kind of stretched for feats here". Unless of course, it's a skill focus or somesuch. Really, varying powers of feats make this hard to adjucate.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. That's a tough one. As written, Wish can't do it. Is a single Feat worth as much as a +1 to an ability score? Depends on the Feat, I guess. I'd ... allow it, achievable with a single Wish. (Maybe throw in a special component they'd need for that kind of casting). But, the player would have to meet the prerequisites for the feat in order for it to work normally. Otherwise, it's Monkey's Paw time. If the player chooses a feat they wouldn't normally qualify for, I'd give it to them, and they can use it. But they'd also get a Flaw along with it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Permanent feat-granting is outside the scope of normal magic, but then again so is stat-granting. Assuming that a feat is far more powerful than a stat, Wish probably couldn't normally give feats.

This is where Wish has the potential to be creative. Permanent transformation is certainly within the scope of Wish, so if there's a creature that has that feat, Wish could transform the wisher to that creature as the closest alternative to the spirit of the request. If there is no creature with that feat, Wish would probably try to apply some sort of permanent magic that approximates the benefits of the feat as closely as possible. If there's no way to artificially reproduce the feat, Wish would probably just fizzle.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    50K for a feat? Baaaad.
    You can get an effective improved critical for a +1 bonus, or 6000 GP. However, this cannot be used as a prereq. I'd say a wish should be able to grant it as long as it can't be used as a prereq.
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Simply adding a bonus feat for the cost of 5000XP is generally a bad idea. However, if the request is simply "give me another feat", I see an easy (and not necessarily needlessly cruel) way to go about fulfilling that request: replacing an existing feat with a new one. A fourth-level psionic power (psychic reformation) can do this, with a far smaller XP cost, so I don't consider this an unbalancing use of wish.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2007-04-30 at 03:07 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

If someone wished for that I'd probably handle it by having an item that bestows the feat to them when worn. The way I see it with it granting ability score boosts is that such a thing is good for a wish spell; sub-epic. Afterall, there are epic feats that grant a +1 to an ability score but is slightly better because it's not an inherent bonus (which can only be +5 anyway). Some feats are better than others, but I'd say only feats you could accomplish around level 15 or so, possibly higher level if they make a costly sacrifice to the casting of the Wish.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Arbitrarity: Yeah, it's a tough one to adjudicate because of the range of feats and their level of power. But like Gezina said, "Keen" is a +1 ability ... granted it's on a sword but not on a character. So, is "Mighty Cleaving" a +1 ability granting the wielder the cleave feat.

Telonius: Yes, I was going to require the wisher to have the prerequisites of the feat in order for it to work. However, I like your idea of tossing in a flaw if the wisher doesn't have the prerequisites of the feat.

Jothki: Transforming the wisher into a creature that has the feat is a bit cruel and mean, then again my group would probably appreciate it. Hehehe It's a great suggestion!

Thanks all! Keep the suggestions coming!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Simply adding a bonus feat for the cost of 5000XP is generally a bad idea. However, if the request is simply "give me another feat", I see an easy (and not necessarily needlessly cruel) way to go about fulfilling that request: replacing an existing feat with a new one. A fourth-level psionic power (psychic reformation) can do this, with a far smaller XP cost, so I don't consider this an unbalancing use of wish.
    Waitwaitwait. Does that thing allow you to completely reset the spell selection of a level 20 Sorceror for a total of 1000XP?

Anyway, giving an item that grants the feat is probably the best way of handling it, it should be within the scope of Wish and it keeps fairly well to the spirit of the request.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Jasdoif: Hmm, replacing a feat with a new one is a good suggestion. There are rules in PHBII for refactoring a character when leveling up, however. Or are you saying I would just pick the old feat they will be replacing myself as a DM?

Krimm: I like your idea a lot as well about creating a magical item which bestows the feat when they are wearing it. It's certainly within the description of the wish spell to create a magical item. Hard part about that would be the material cost of such an item to reflect the range of power feats have related to one another. Hmmm.

Again, thanks for the suggestions! And keep them coming!

Dizlag

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dizlag View Post
    Arbitrarity: Yeah, it's a tough one to adjudicate because of the range of feats and their level of power. But like Gezina said, "Keen" is a +1 ability ... granted it's on a sword but not on a character. So, is "Mighty Cleaving" a +1 ability granting the wielder the cleave feat.
    "I wish to gain the Cleave feat!"
    *Transformed into intelligent weapon of Mighty Cleaving*

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think it would make sense that you would loose feats in exchange for the ones that you would be getting.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Will this decision make your players happy without giving you a headache? I say aye then. :)

Zilargo Linguist made by Simius

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dizlag View Post
    Jasdoif: Hmm, replacing a feat with a new one is a good suggestion. There are rules in PHBII for refactoring a character when leveling up, however. Or are you saying I would just pick the old feat they will be replacing myself as a DM?
    Normally when a wish outside the listed safe effects is used, the DM chooses exactly what makes it happen. So you could decide yourself which feat to replace, or let the player decide which one.

And yes, there are retraining options, but you're adjudicating the effects of a wish spell. If you want to simply make the wish an instantaneous retraining, that's perfectly fine.

Keep in mind, the text on wish says exceeding the listed options is "dangerous" for a reason. Just because refactoring options exist doesn't mean wish is required to be better then they are. I mean, if you wanted to be cruel, you could replace one or two of their levels in sorceror/wizard/whatever-they-got-wish-through with levels of fighter, to give them a fighter bonus feat, and that would fulfill their wish. So to me, a nice option like a feat swap seems perfectly OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Jothki View Post
    Waitwaitwait. Does that thing allow you to completely reset the spell selection of a level 20 Sorceror for a total of 1000XP?
    An argument could made either way, really.

But I would say that for that particular instance yes; you could reset all your spells known.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Aren't there epic feats that grant a +1 to an ability score? I dont have the Epic level handbook but i think i remember seeing them in there (i know they exist in Neverwinter Nights, tho thats not really proof either way)

If so, a wish spell can grant the equivalent of an epic feat through the stat bonuses. Just limit the number of feats and bonuses to a combined 5 like the spell already does.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

ROFL, Indon! That example in itself would make my group crack up! Probably not the one wishing, but the rest of the group will laugh and point. Hahahaha!

Booboo: You nailed in on the head there. It would make my players happy, but I'm trying to get some feedback if the potential for migraines would increase because of it. Hehehe

What it comes down to is having fun at the gaming table. We won't have but 4 hours every other friday night to roleplay together because we all have families. Turning a player into a friggin' greatsword of mighty cleaving because they wished for the cleave feat would be SO mean! But so damn funny to everyone. Of course, I'd let them pay another 25K to have the wish reversed and done right costing about 75k - 100k gp. =)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

How about just allowing custom magic items which can give a bonus feat? As long as you don't allow custom unslotted items or items with too many abilities per slot the limit on item slots available presents a flexible limit on the number of bonus feats they can get. The AEG suggested 10K was a reasonable price, but I'd probably price it at double that at least.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

An argument could made either way, really.

But I would say that for that particular instance yes; you could reset all your spells known.
    What's the other argument? It seems pretty explicit to me: 20 * 50 = 1000 XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
    Aren't there epic feats that grant a +1 to an ability score? I dont have the Epic level handbook but i think i remember seeing them in there (i know they exist in Neverwinter Nights, tho thats not really proof either way)

If so, a wish spell can grant the equivalent of an epic feat through the stat bonuses. Just limit the number of feats and bonuses to a combined 5 like the spell already does.
    As I recall, the epic feats increase the ability score itself. Wish can just grant an inherent bonus, which can never go above +5. This means that the epic feat boost stacks with Tomes, Manuals, and Wishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I think that by 'powers' it means psionic powers. So it lets you completely reset your power selections, skill points, and feats, yes, but, per RAW, not sorcerer spells. (Remember, psionics-magic transparency only works for a few specific things.)

Pity it doesn't let you change class, too. I like the idea of a level 20 psionic, in an emergency, spending 1000 xp to suddenly turn into an IotSV-wizard. Or, better yet, hire level 3 commoners, then Psychic Reformation them into useful grunt casters.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2007-04-30 at 03:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

First, I would make the player word it like their character would have to...that will remove most feats from being asked for. Out of character it is easy enough to ask for a feat, but how does someone ask to be able to get an extra attack when they kill something, in the same round (Cleave). When the character doesn't know what a "round" is. Now granted, the people in this forum, and probably your players could come up with something, but not just off the top of their head that would give them exactly what they want. Everything I have quickly thought up on how to word it could quite easily be perverted into something bad without splitting hairs on definitions.
    That's right, NO Metagaming!

Beyond that, it all depends on the feat they want on if I would allow it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Awakened Gelatinus Cube View Post
    -lituracy is never atomatic
    -"despell magic" is broken into despell magic 1-9
    -genisalt characters are allowed with an xp penilty.
    "When in doubt, set something on fire."

RIP: Gary Gygax (July 27, 1938 – March 4, 2008) - May the world forever be changed by the things you have created.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    I think that by 'powers' it means psionic powers. So it lets you completely reset your power selections, skill points, and feats, yes, but, per RAW, not sorcerer spells. (Remember, psionics-magic transparency only works for a few specific things).
    Actually, psionics-magic transparency works for everything except a few specific things (generally things that require the power point system to work properly, like Cascade Flu). Besides, the principle's the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that by 'powers' it means psionic powers. So it lets you completely reset your power selections, skill points, and feats, yes, but, per RAW, not sorcerer spells. (Remember, psionics-magic transparency only works for a few specific things.)
    It also says "decisions of these sorts". If the DM is going to allow it in the first place he will probably allow it for spell selection too, the rules leave a little room for it in any case.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

If you invoke Magic/Psionics transparency, yes.

As an added bonus, if you invoke Magic/Psionics transparency twice, it is duplicateable via Limited Wish.

Do note that Psionics and Magic are different is a listed campaign varient, which your DM might just decide to invoke if you do this too often.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    What's the other argument? It seems pretty explicit to me: 20 * 50 = 1000 XP.
    Well, like Aquillion said....
    I think that by 'powers' it means psionic powers. So it lets you completely reset your power selections, skill points, and feats, yes, but, per RAW, not sorcerer spells.
    The other argument would be centered around whether psionics-magic transparency should be allowed to apply given the differences in the systems.

I mean, a wizard gets new spells at each level and copies them into his spellbook, do they suddenly disappear if the wizard reforms the spells he learned from his last level? If not, there's a cost of 25XP per new spell (and the cerebremancer becomes a spellbook-filling money-making machine!)

For a sorceror, the question is one of comparing spells known at present level and determining the difference between spells known at an earlier level. There's also a chance for (admittedly paranoid) concern unless the character sheet lists which spells were learned at which level; since otherwise multiple low-cost uses could be used to replace all spells known of a particular level.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2007-04-30 at 04:18 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

You don't have to rely on transparency, "decisions of these sorts" allows you to include a pretty wide array of leveling decisions based on how you interpret it regardless of transparency (somewhere between all of them and only those explicitly mentioned).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Since you get a feat every three levels and an ability increase every four, I'd say a feat is less valuable than the ability increases already allowed with a Wish spell. The most effective feats will probably be taken whether you allow Wish to grant one or not. It's the secondary option feats which will be opened up.

As some others did, I'd recomend it be allowed as long as the character qualifies for the feat. Just limit it to five as the ability increases are limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf53226 View Post
    First, I would make the player word it like their character would have to...that will remove most feats from being asked for. Out of character it is easy enough to ask for a feat, but how does someone ask to be able to get an extra attack when they kill something, in the same round (Cleave). When the character doesn't know what a "round" is. Now granted, the people in this forum, and probably your players could come up with something, but not just off the top of their head that would give them exactly what they want. Everything I have quickly thought up on how to word it could quite easily be perverted into something bad without splitting hairs on definitions.
    That's right, NO Metagaming!
    It's usually not all that hard to word. With your example of Cleave it's just a matter of wishing for an immediate additional attack when your victim is dropped by one of your attacks. There are probably a few feats which are difficult to describe without metagame terms, but not all that many.
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

27. - Top - End - #27

If you allow this you should realize that you just gave wizards almost as many bonus feats as a fighter gets.

With 5 more feats I could do tons in different builds.

28. - Top - End - #28

However, if the request is simply "give me another feat", I see an easy (and not necessarily needlessly cruel) way to go about fulfilling that request:
    Your Wish is granted.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Note that wish spells are voiced "in character."

What feats do you have? I mean personally, in real life? Character sheets have "feats" on them, but the personalities that those sheets represent have no inkling that they know certain "feats." You'd have to word the wish very differently, it's the character making the wish, not the player. And when wording it in a way that fits a character's knowledge, you leave all kinds of room to twist it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I would say yes, with one wish. And add a limit that the feat is considered an inherent bonus, and you can't have more than one feat gained through an inherent bonus. Additionally, this could be used to handle wishes such as "I wish my spells were more powerful", which would then grant spell focus in the school the caster uses most often.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness