New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Current FR state of affairs?

So I've left off keeping up with the forgotten realms awhile ago (2nd ed ish) and I think I have a rough understanding of the current state of the realms, but I was wondering what I would have to read to have the timeline and to understand the current state of affairs.

Anyone have a list of what I should read (preferably materials and not novels) that would give me a clear understanding of the Wizard's sanctioned time line?
    Big Ups to Vrythas for making my Avi!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Current FR state of affairs?

The Grand History of the Realms is probably a good place to start. It's already several years old, having been released in 2007. It goes right up to the events leading into the 4th edition version of the setting.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Male

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCancer View Post
    The Grand History of the Realms is probably a good place to start. It's already several years old, having been released in 2007. It goes right up to the events leading into the 4th edition version of the setting.
    I've gathered from reading that Forgotten Realms reading that when 5e came along, a lot of the stuff that happened to FR in 4e got "fixed", like Mystra dying.
    Author of Twice Blessed, a D&D webcomic:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Retconning 4e into a false timeline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Not everyone has the resources or the ability to become a wizard or a sorcerer, after all. Warlocking just requires a pact, very democratic, really. Doesn't require wealth or a magical lineage, just a promise, and all of your problems will go away.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I got the impression that everything that happend in 4th edition did actually happen, but now things change again to be a lot more like they were in 3rd. Resurrecting dead gods is nothing new to the setting and cities are easily rebuild. And continents that suddenly appeared from another dimension can just as easily disappear again.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying