New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Question about priests

I read this comic: http://dndorks.com/comics/8%2f15%2f2005.aspx

and I just wonder, would it be possible to create a priest in D&D that has a religion that says it is sinfull to cast spells and get it to work in the gameworld?
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Question about priests

Yes, it would.
    The Historian: This DM has the history of his world written out millenniums back. It is intricate, complex, and most importantly, incredibly long. Moreover, everything your characters are doing is based on the previous history. It also tends to lead to loudmouth NPCS who will explain hundreds of years of history at a time while the players try to gouge their eardrums out with mechanical pencils.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

It could work, though the priest wouldn't be a member of the cleric/adept class unless they belive what they do to be miracles instead of spells (A few of ignorance yes, but not totally unforseeable).

However, it should be noted that a religion that forbids spellcasting isn't likely to gain much popularity in a D&D world, magic is a common fact of life in D&D, people cast spells all the time, and a religion that cannot cope with the common facts of life has difficulty getting a large following.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

You could still be a cleric/adept, you just wouldn't cast spells. You wouldn't be an effective character, but it's an option. No one forces you to use your class features.
    The Historian: This DM has the history of his world written out millenniums back. It is intricate, complex, and most importantly, incredibly long. Moreover, everything your characters are doing is based on the previous history. It also tends to lead to loudmouth NPCS who will explain hundreds of years of history at a time while the players try to gouge their eardrums out with mechanical pencils.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

You could still be a cleric/adept, you just wouldn't cast spells. You wouldn't be an effective character, but it's an option. No one forces you to use your class features.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think a lot of fun could be had with a build like this. Put your good stat in Charisma instead of Wisdom, and crank up the Turn Undead. Use all of your feats on Extra Turning or the various Divine feats, so you can use those turn attempts all the time.

Then get into a PrC that advances turn attempts. Unfortunately I can't think of all that many, but Radiant Servant of Pelor would work well for an anti-undead type. You don't gain much from the healing focus, but the greater turning is nice.
    "'To know, to do, and to keep silent.' Crowley had the first two down pat."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

There's always the hypocritical approach of "spells are evil, but not our spells because our spells are from <insert appropriate source of worship here>"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderBrigade View Post
    I think a lot of fun could be had with a build like this. Put your good stat in Charisma instead of Wisdom, and crank up the Turn Undead. Use all of your feats on Extra Turning or the various Divine feats, so you can use those turn attempts all the time.

Then get into a PrC that advances turn attempts. Unfortunately I can't think of all that many, but Radiant Servant of Pelor would work well for an anti-undead type. You don't gain much from the healing focus, but the greater turning is nice.
    And if they see wielding some mystic force that can manipulate un-living creatures as some sort of spell, then they're screwed... XD
    An interesting option would be that alternate cleric, with more skill points and some bard abilities.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

9. - Top - End - #9

Chimera

Or, if you want to play the concept without having to nerf yourself, it could just be "all arcane spells are evil, becauses it puts power in the hands of mankind, and mankind is inherently corrupt, look at all the damage magic does, etc."

Which is actually not THAT unusual a theme, in fantasy. If my world was constantly in danger from old men that could turn me into a spider with a brief word, I might get a little bitter, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    How about the fact that humans can apparently breed with anything on two legs (or even four legs if you count dragons)?

Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
    Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
    Human: What?
    Elf: Half-orcs, half-ogres...
    Human: ... shut up.
    Dwarf: Half-dragons, half-kobolds.
    Human: I said shut up!
    Elf: ...
    Dwarf: ...
    Human: ...
    Elf: Centaurs.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Or just be a monk who wears a robe and preaches about his god. BAM. Priests do not have to be any class really. It's like saying a town guard has to be a fighter.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick_BR View Post
    And if they see wielding some mystic force that can manipulate un-living creatures as some sort of spell, then they're screwed... XD
    An interesting option would be that alternate cleric, with more skill points and some bard abilities.
    Well, yeah, at that point you should just be something other than cleric. Like a paladin. If you really have a problem with all magical abilities, isn't there a PrC that's specifically anti-magic? Renouncer or something like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ocato
    Or just be a monk who wears a robe and preaches about his god. BAM. Priests do not have to be any class really. It's like saying a town guard has to be a fighter.
    Yep, that works. Monk, bard, fighter, even barbarian could work. You just carry around a holy symbol and say FOR THE GLORY OF PELOR! a lot

12. - Top - End - #12

This, in particular, reminds me of the Forsaker class from one of the 3.0 books (masters of the wild maybe? This may be what SpiderBrigade was getting at) - a pretty cool class that I really wish they'd have 3.5'd in one of the 'complete' books. They not only forswear spells, but all magic in general - and actively crusade against it.

And therein is actually your biggest hurtle: some character classes do just fine without spells, but none can really get by without magic items (unless the entire party does and the game is specifically designed that way). And you can't really revile spells and still use magic items (since they require spells to be created) without some pretty creative/ignorant/munchkin logic.

~PS
    Last edited by Penguinsushi; 2007-05-08 at 12:16 PM.
    "One Penguin To Rule Them All..."

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm invisible...I'm invisible...I'm baby mice-ing invisible!" ~ Diva De

The Boot. Fear it.

Thanks to Trog for OotK icon
    Also, thanks to El J, Kubb Ambassador

13. - Top - End - #13

Forsaker! That's the one. And yeah, I don't think it has a 3.5 update. Sad.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hmm, Dragon Shaman (PHBII) can do healing and buffing without casting spells. Of course, it has all this draconic mechanics and flavor, which you might not like.

But it could be a good starting point for making a non-caster priest base class. Maybe change if from dragons to the outsider servants of your deity.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Err there's the ToB's crusader. No spellcasting there, or you could take the non-spellcasting variant paladin.
    "Everyone's crazy but me and thee and I'm not so sure about thee."
    Ian McKenna

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Personally I believe the majority of priests in a D&D world are best represented by the Expert NPC class, and are therefore unable to cast spells. Its only the exceptional individual who attains the devotion do a deity required to cast spells and most of those take up an evangelical adventuring lifestyle.

17. - Top - End - #17

SamuraiGuy

Well, for a standard stay at home priest, preaching in their community and the like against the evil heathen magic users, I'd probably agree with the expert thing for building them.

Maxing Int and Charisma, probably topping out knowledge (religion), Profession (preacher), diplomacy, sense motive and all languages. Probably with ranks in spellcraft so you can spot the heathens casting, heal so you can tend wounds and perform (oratory) so you give a good sermon.

Not sure what I'd go for in feats, Probably skill focuses, Negotiator, Leadership, maybe self-sufficient. They're unlikely to be a fighter, so I'd not be happy with giving them much in the way of fighting skills and feats.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A further option which doesn't match that comic but is feasible is
    "Using spells is inherently sinful, but it is a burden that i take upon myself in order to destroy the impure. Should I achieve my goal there will no longer be a place for me as I have joined them in order to defeat them."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Okay. Seems that my question was a bit difuse: when I wrote priest, I meant a cleric or divine caster (except paladin and ranger), that would believ his own spellcasting to be sinfull and would refuse to cast arcane or divine spells as a part of his religion. Would he be plaable at all?

20. - Top - End - #20

You want to play a full progression divine spell caster that refuses to cast spells?

That's about the equivelent of taking 20 racial HD in humanoid, except you've got knowledge (religion) and simple weapon prof.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinsushi View Post
    This, in particular, reminds me of the Forsaker class from one of the 3.0 books (masters of the wild maybe? This may be what SpiderBrigade was getting at) - a pretty cool class that I really wish they'd have 3.5'd in one of the 'complete' books. They not only forswear spells, but all magic in general - and actively crusade against it.

And therein is actually your biggest hurtle: some character classes do just fine without spells, but none can really get by without magic items (unless the entire party does and the game is specifically designed that way). And you can't really revile spells and still use magic items (since they require spells to be created) without some pretty creative/ignorant/munchkin logic.

~PS
    Some kind of Artificer, maybe? Their infusions are neither divine nor arcane.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Latronis View Post
    You want to play a full progression divine spell caster that refuses to cast spells?

That's about the equivelent of taking 20 racial HD in humanoid, except you've got knowledge (religion) and simple weapon prof.
    No, I don't want to play that. I just wonder if it's possible at all. He dond't need to be the best build, but he should be able to survive 3 levels in a dungeon.

23. - Top - End - #23

This raises another question

If you worship a god who dislikes spells, would said god even grant divine magic?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narmoth View Post
    No, I don't want to play that.
    Then don't.

You say you want to play a cleric without spells and the end result of that is what Latronis described. For the first 3 levels it wouldn't be that bad, but after that your party would essentially be carrying you ... and forcing that on other players is just poor form IMO.
    Last edited by PinkysBrain; 2007-05-13 at 05:39 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

leik othurs haev sedd u dont need 2 play a cleric 2 be a priest an thers no resunn Y u cudnt play a "Templar" (Fighter/Crusader) or a "Contemplative" (Monk) or even a "Holy Assassin" whos also ordaind clurge

But if u rlly want 2 try a Cleric w/out spells its not taht unresonabel since teh cleric has teh best armor profishunsee 2 start w/u just needs 2 look into teh Divine Feats in PHBII. Complete Warrior & Complete Divine. Get a high Cha for as many turn attempts/day as u can get OTOH teh problum w/dis is most Divine Feats need u 2 B ~5th lvl

Domain choys is also pretty imprtantt My prsnal choys wood B Luck sos u can get a free reroll 1/day but its not spells--its ur God intervenin 4 U. =p

Its an intrstng concept simlar 2 1 I done w/a Nihilist Cleric (his domains wer Luck, w/teh reroll rpresentin his Will-2-Power philosophy, n Death) Good luck!

26. - Top - End - #26

Piedmon--what you are doing is not only against the rules because it's nigh-illegible writing, but as you are doing it to intentionally be an annoyance, it is trolling of the basest sort. As such, I am reporting it.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    However, it should be noted that a religion that forbids spellcasting isn't likely to gain much popularity in a D&D world, magic is a common fact of life in D&D, people cast spells all the time, and a religion that cannot cope with the common facts of life has difficulty getting a large following.
    I'd say that is entirely a matter of campaign world. Just because PC's can cast spells and use magic items doesn't mean it has to be, or should be, readily available to all NPC's. In such a case they will fear that which they don't understand, and flock to such a religion. VERY common theme.

A nice house-rule for such a world is to allow mundane items with "magical" enhancements that make sense. A keen longsword +1 is just a very, very well-made sword. A defending dagger is a main gauche, with a large protective hilt that doubles as a shield. Et cetera. But I digress.

I recommend you a) use something other than cleric to represent your priest or b) talk your DM into letting you take something instead of cleric spells (eg a fighter bonus feat every 4 levels, 4 more skill points per level, and more class skills) to balance you out. I'd go for B personally... your time spent studying spells is instead spent honing your combat arts and studying religion. You become a more respectable combatant and you get to mesh it with a little skillmonkeying which is much more to a non-caster priest flavour than just being a Fighter would be.
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Easiest solution : Talk to your DM, ask if you can play a Fighter, but switch the normal class skills for those of a Cleric. Problem solved.

Oh, and Fourth - don't even bother. I saw the first few words, then saw that it was Piedmon and ignored the post. Just as everyone else will be doing, I'm certain.
    Last edited by Quietus; 2007-05-13 at 11:07 PM.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

how about reserve feats from complete mage? these could be played as divine abilities your god grants you for not casting spells even when tempted. just a thought.

30. - Top - End - #30

Griffon

Reminds me of the Anima in Exile/Avernum 3, who had the philosophy that arcane magic isn't necessarily evil, but it is chaotic, absurdly dangerous, completely unecessary, and that the world would be a better place if it didn't exist. That kind of an organization would probably be reasonable in most settings, though their teachings of self-reliance don't fit as well in a setting with active dieties.