New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Ale, Fortune and Math

The road is well walked once Mathwin passes the 2 towns. Many travelers take this path as they walk towards Diobel and the Mountain. For a few hours, Mathwin makes good time, stopping briefly to feed Bill and drink some water, while resting his legs. On this break, Mathwin sees something walking down the road ahead of him. He looks out, but rubs his eyes, trying to get a better view.

Spoiler: Double take
    Show
    Mathwin may use double take to re-roll his perception at +2 bonus. (Sign of Discov.)

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Double Take
    Show
    Perception:(1d20+2)[17]

3. - Top - End - #393

MonkGuy

Walking down the road, is a group of men, middle aged, different heights and races. From the looks of it, one is an elf, with a long white beard and gray robes. Another is a shorter man, blue a blue cloak and pointy yellow hat, but it’s hard to see his face. Two more men walk with them, one skinny and bald, with a long yellow cloak, and the other large, sporting a large tunic with a style of weaving you haven’t seen before. ]

The men walk the road towards Absolom, laughing and speaking among themselves. They are still about a few hundred feet in front of you, but they are approaching.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat continues to rest his legs and smoke his pipe, taking his pointy hat from the grass next to him and donning it. They may just be another group of adventurers . . . no need to get jumpy. Still, Mat checks his wand up his sleeve and stands as the men draw nearer. Sipping from his waterskin, he waits until the men are closer before favoring them with a friendly wave.
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2015-12-09 at 11:03 AM.

5. - Top - End - #395

MonkGuy

Mathwin’s wand, readily accessible, lay’s in his sleeve. Cautious, but not rude, Mathwin wait patiently for the group to come closer.

The group seems to be laughing and talking about past experiences, as their voices carry well throughout the road. Their stories make little sense to Mathwin, but you can tell they seem to be a band of adventurers. As they come closer, you see all of them much closer. As they approach, they do not let their conversation idle, yet as they come closer, the skinny bald man waves, saying “Good day, sir!”

As he waves, Mathwin sees a wand tucked in the man belt.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat smiles, "And good day to you, sir! It looks like your adventuring band has enjoyed good times recently. I myself am only now heading out to find fortune and glory. Care you to sit and chat for a while over a pipeful of Taldan tobacco? By the wand at your side, I see that you are a fellow magician. Forgive me, but pray tell, where did you train?" Knowing that trained mages are often very conscious about insult, intended or perceived, he is careful to show the proper respect.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat waits patiently while the group decides how to respond.

8. - Top - End - #398

MonkGuy

After what seems like an eternity, the tall man in yellow robes approaches you and bows. In a very low tone voice he says, "Good evening traveler. My name is Gundelt, and these are my companions." As he finishes his deep bow, the man in the large tunic states, "Your companions?!"[/COLOR] in a very loud and over-the-top tone. Weary of this aggression, you look to the other members, and see a small smile light the face of the tall white elf.

Gundelt rolls his eyes and smiles at the mans comment. The large man in the tunic steps forward and points to himself, "The names Peter. I know you won't forget a face like this!" Seamlessly, he flicks his fingers and a gentle wind blows against his hair as he smiles quite impressively.

Behind Gundelt and Peter, without stepping forward, the tall elf slightly nods his head and says in a quiet tone, "I am called Freidmont. And this is Victor."
    He gestures to the small man in the blue robes. Still unable to see his face, you hear a high pitched, "Hiya!" in a very chipper tone.

Friedmont looks towards the sky, and says "We should probably make camp soon. We still have a few hours until we reach Absolom." Startled by the sound of Victor's voice, you hears his voice say, "I got the fire!" He runs off into brush and great speed.

Gundelt, takes a quick look at you, up and down. He states, "To answer your question, we are magicians who studied here at the Arcanamirium, years ago. We received word that the dueling tournament would be taking place, and were asked to be honor quests for their highest tier by the archmage himself."

Peter smells the air, "You know, smoking pipe-weed would be excellent break. I would have enjoyed it earlier if SOMEONE hadn't used it to get that beast high as a mountain!"

Freidmont looks quite unamused, as he retorts, "Would you rather the Bandersnatch has eaten your legs? As I recall you couldn't move good sir." Peter shrugs as he begins to set up his camp.

Gundelt looks at you, "The night will soon be upon us? I can't promise he won't keep boasting about our adventurers, but I get the feeling you have a heart for the same. What may we call you sir?"

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Master Magicians! Mat thinks. I can't believe my luck!

Mat stands upon the visitors' arrival and after hearing their names and their professions, doffs his hat and bows low with a flourish. "Well met, Masters Gundelt, Peter, Freidmont, and Victor. My name is Mathwin of House Lora. I am a Varisian trained, Taldan born Evoker and a duelist as well, although I seriously doubt I am of the same caliber as yourselves. I have dueled apprentices within the Arcanamirium, although I am not a student of the college. I can't even fathom fighting something as fearsome as a frumious Bandersnatch! I would love to share the fire with you all tonight and will gladly share tobacco with you, Master Peter. If I may be so bold, I'd love to learn anything you all can teach me in the short time we have together."

Mat leads them over to the small site he's set up off the road and pulls some more tobacco out of Bill's saddlebags.

10. - Top - End - #400

MonkGuy

The group follows Mathwin to his small camp, and thank him for sharing the night. As Mathwin checks on Bill, he sees the magicians pulling many items out of a bag that is much smaller than his, but seems to carry an endless amount of items. Mathwin knows these are bags of holding, but have never been able to afford...or take one. The magicians take out bedrolls and tents much larger than Mathwins’; the appear to have much wealth, or at least have garnered many items over their travel.

Victor comes shuffling back into the encampment holding a pile of rocks, and begins placing them in a small circle. Trying to set us his camp, but not stare at all this group seems to bring, Mathwin feel a mixture of jealousy and inspiration. Once the stones are placed in a circle, Victor pours a small vial of liquid on the stones, and with the flick of his wrist, sends a small bead of orange light into the circle, and with a great flare, a fire is set ablaze! It initially reaches higher than the treetops, but the circle seems to be keeping it inside it’s circle. The fire seems to be continual, without any need for more wood.

As Mathwin looks towards the sky, he sees the sun beginning to set, so it is probably a good idea he took it easy for the night. Eagar to spend the night with this group, He sits by the fire, lighting his pipe and waits for therest of the group finish. Peter is first to finish, and walks over, and sharessome pipe weed with you. Sitting down, he blows circles with his smoke, andtakes a big whiff, and blows what seems to be a dragon through the rings. Heturns to you and says, “So, Evoker Mathwin, what brings you on the road thisday? Adventure? Money? Women? If you see the latter please point them out to me!”

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat smiles at the smokey display. "That's a fun trick! I'll have to figure that one out. And as far as what brings me to the road this evening . . . I've found that if you have enough of the first two in your life, you'll never be left wanting for the latter. I, myself, am off to the North in search of some small amount of money. And along the way I had hoped to run into fellow mages such as yourselves. Any excuse to learn a little more magic. My power right now is, regrettably, quite small. Although, I do have a particular talent for the Magic Missile spell!"

Smiling broadly, Mat pulls out a full waterskin from his saddlebags. "I'd be very happy to share some water with you, Peter, unless you have a thirst for something stronger? I didn't pack anything more potent with me, but happen to know a spell to make a passable wine, ale, or brandy."

12. - Top - End - #402

MonkGuy

Peter looks at your waterskin, and smells the contents within. With a confused looks, he says, “Water? Never touch the stuff. But something more potent sounds just right!” Peter motions to his group, as he pulls a bottle with a clear liquid out of his bag. Pouring rather generous amounts of liquid, he offers the entire group a glass to cheers with.

“As for these ‘tricks’ it has taken years of study and manipulation to learn these.
    ” He stops in his tracks. Pausing, peter smiles and says softly, “Magic Missile….that brings me back. Gun! Do you remember that vampire in Alma?” Gundelt looks rather unpleased with Peter, softly saying, “I remember you sleeping with her the day before we found out!”

Peter ponders, “Ah yes, you had quite a affection for the pretty thing. You should thank me for saving you. Her skin felt like she was dead!” He turns to you, smiling and impressed with his joke, “Although technically, she was.”

Gundelt leans in, quipping “Didn’t it take you three damn tries to get the right mirror image? Swinging your flaming sword like a damn apprentice.” Peter smiles and begins to speak, but is interrupted by Freidmont groaning, “If I hear one more joke about giving her your ‘magic missile’ the night before, I may literally vomit.” You hear Victor chuckle as a he tends to the fire. You hear a bright excited voice coming from the little man, “She burned quite nicely! I’ve written a paper about how the undead flesh must be more susceptible to flame magic’s!”

Peter rolls his eyes, “Which you subsequently burned, if I do recall!” Victor, from what you can tell, shrugs and come to grab his drink. The party gathers and raises their drinks to the sky.

Freidmont says, “To life!”
    Peter says, “To love!”
    Victor says, “To fire!”
    Gundelt says, “To freedom!”

They all look at you, before drinking the entirely of their cup.
    Last edited by Leomor; 2016-01-19 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Updated and new color scheme

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat listens to the men quibble back and forth with amusement. These men. These are the kind I can see having a few good drinks with.

Mat takes the proffered glass of clear alcohol. It smells potent. Just the right thing for the end of a long day of travel.

Hearing the men cheers to life, love, fire, fire, and freedom, Mat raises his own glass and joins the chorus, "To fun!" he smiles and downs his glass with the rest of them.

Mat is skilled enough to not cough back when the drink hits the back of his throat, but he imagines he would have just a few short years ago. "Strong stuff," he says to Peter, thanking him for the belt.

"Entangled yourself with a vampire lass, did you? I imagine that must've been a thrilling time."
    Mat smiles mischeivously. "Victor," Mat calls to the curious little mage, "You wouldn't happen to be an Evoker would you? I know precious few fire spells, but the ones I do are some of my most powerful. Any tips or tricks to share? You seem a man of singular focus."

14. - Top - End - #404

MonkGuy

The group cheers at Mathwin exclamation! Mathwin tastes strong mint flavors in his drink, feeling the cool liquid slowly travel his stomach. Mathwin taste buds are trained, and can tell the potency of this drink is rather high, even though he has not encountered it before.

Victor cheers a loud “WAHOO!” after drinking his drink. Listening to you question, you see his hat shaking back and forth. “No, I was always an illusionist, and developed my skills towards a more, tricky nature.” You see him pop out of existence, with not an incantation or movement. Stunned for a second, Mathwin jumps when he hears behind him, “Boo!” As you are briefly startled, the group laughs at Victor’s joke.

As Freidmont sits beside you, you notice his necklace, a clear symbol of Aleria, Goddess of healers and love. He offers you another drink.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Smiling at the illusionist, Mat pensively puffs his pipe. "And you, Freidmont, are you a priest? I see that symbol you wear."

16. - Top - End - #406

MonkGuy

Smiling, Freidmont nods slowly. "Yes, I have been a priest of Aleria for many years. Spread her word of love has blessed me to touch many lives, now including yours." He puts a hand on your shoulder and smiles. "And our quiet friend, Gun, is a sorcerer of arcane studies." Gundelt looks towards your way and nods, then back to sipping his drink.

Finishing his second drink, Peter says, “You look like a man who can hold his liquor. And I’m always looking for a challenge.” He brings two bottles out from his bag and sets one down in front of each of you. “Last man standing. If you can beat me, I’ll give you one of the spells I have developed. And my friends will keep me honest, because drunk me tends to be quite to opposite. Freidmont can also dispel me if you think I would be cheating. So, what do you say? Are you man enough to take on ‘Peter the Magnificent Magus’?”

Peter’s tone is one of ego, but you don’t hold his words against him. While boastful, you feel like his personality is a large attitude, yet he means well. Victor runs over, in place to pour the drinks, in case Mathwin accepts Peter’s duel.

17. - Top - End - #407

MonkGuy

As Mathwin thinks carefully about entering a drinking match, Peter take another, rather large shot of his drink.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mathwin smiles, takes off his hat, and rolls up his sleeves.

"Alright, Master Peter, the Magnificent Magus. I accept you challenge, but only under certain conditions. I never enter any game without knowing all the rules.

First: Master Freidmont, I would ask that you dispel both of us, just to level the playing field without accusing anyone of any cheating.
    Second: Master Freidmont, I would ask that you remain the neutral judge of this contest. I trust you will hold us both to the letter of the accord.
    Third: Neither of us may cast any spell we have memorized in order to win this contest, nor shall we have anyone else cast any spells to aide us. We shant use any wondrous items, wands, staves, rods, armor, weapons, or potions to aide us, either.
    Fourth: We shall drink only from the bottle directly in front of us right now, one shot at a time as poured by Master Victor. If we are both able to finish our bottle, then Master Freidmont will judge the man most mentally sound as the winner.
    Finally: If I win, I learn this spell you have developed. If you win, you enjoy the knowledge that you have bested an apprentice in a drinking competition. You shall leave all my possessions and effects alone and unmolested, should I pass out."

Holding out his hand to Peter, Mat's eyes glow in that way they sometimes do. "Do we have an accord?"

19. - Top - End - #409

MonkGuy

Amused, and perhaps slightly impressed, Peter looks to Freidmont and says "I've married women with less of a contract! Mathwin, you have yourself a deal. May Cayden Cailean look down on both of us!"

You see as he disrobes, takes off a black ring with blue encrusted gemstones, takes off what apears to be a fake earring, and finally sits down in front of you. You are able to see his face much clearer then before. He is quite a handsome gentleman, clean face, strong jaw, and for a student of magic, has quite a bit of muscle. Mathwin has heard of Magus's before, but many students in the city choose this path, due to the lack of teachers on the subject.

Friedmont walks over, and with a small incantation, dispels both Mat and Peter. He then pours 2 small glasses, and places one in front of each of you.

Peter grabs his glass and says, "Cheers."

Spoiler: Save
    Show
    If Mathwin wishes to proceed, make a fortitude save.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat smiles a little half smile when Peter agrees to the terms.

Watching the man doff his magical gear, Mat waits patiently. Once seated, Mat feels the wave of chill wash over him as he's dispelled, like stepping into a cool spring.

Mat looks up at Friedmont. "Please remember that I asked you to hold us to the letter . . . not the spirit, of the accord." Mat then reaches into his bag and pops open a scroll case. Unfurling the scroll, Mat keeps his smile while saying, "Good Master Peter. I never enter any game without knowing all the rules . . . so I can fully plan out my strategy to win despite them. I have no doubt that you are made of a tougher constitution than I. So I arranged the contest in a way that I could win. I too follow the teachings of Cayden Cailean, but also have a fondness for Calistria. Enjoy your bottle, for I shall certainly enjoy mine."

Mat reads the text from the scroll, eyes flashing bright amber, and the bottle in front of him glows briefly before dimming once more. He has cast Alter Liquid upon the container. Before him, sits a bottle of warm spiced cider, nonalcoholic. He raises his glass to Peter, hoping he appreciates the turn, and drinks. "Cheers."

21. - Top - End - #411

MonkGuy

Peter. setting down his glass, after imbibing what was previously in the bottle, exclaims “Well that’s just great. Bamboozled by a basic apprentice spell!” Leaning in Peter says, “You know your craftier that both of my wives.” You smell the mint flavor strongly on his breath. You can safely assume that he took a large drink to bait you into drinking a large one too.

Interjecting, Freidmont smells the bottle, and pours himself a small glass. “Since the bottle no longer holds any alcohol, I can safely assume that Peter is the less mentally sound, therefore I must declare Mathwin the winner.”

Victor cheers and claps at your approach to this matter! Freidmont smiles and nods. Gundelt seems to not care either way. Peter, attempting to stand up straight, exclaims, “While I concede that I have been bested, I beg of my kin to remember me, for the handsome, glorious man that I was! Alas, my life has ended! I bid thee all, fairest well!” He pretends to fall over and rally some compassion for his loss, but instead falls over his seat. Victor begins to sing a sad over the top dirge as a passionate love one, to remember Peter.

Peter, shuffling through his bag, grabs a piece of paper, and composing himself, gentle hands it to Mathwin. “My favorite parlor trick! Now, seeing that I have lost this game, I say we drink!” Peter pulls out another 2 bottles, and begins to pour what seems to smell like Dwarven ale. He hands you a piece of scroll and another drink.

Spoiler: Spell
    Show
    Shape Smoke (Level 0 Sorcerer spell- Illusion (Glamer)
    Components- V, S, C
    Target- Smoke confined to 1 Cubic feet of space
    Duration- 3 rounds/level (Concentration)
    Range- Close (25 feet)
    Casting time- 1 standard action (See below)
    A sorcerer casting this spell, when in the presence of non-magical smoke (Not any other type of gas) may create figures or shapes in the gas. The objects will seem blurry at first, but the longer the spell, the more finite the image will appear. (1-3 rounds, blurry. 4-6 rounds, basic images, 7 rounds, finite image)
    The smoke will be held in this shape until concentration is broken, or any physical object enters the space, which the smoke dissipate normally.
    (The DM retains full rights to alter/update this spell at his discretion)
    Last edited by Leomor; 2016-01-28 at 09:47 AM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Laughing at the good-natured response to his gambit, Mat raises his glass of Dwarven ale and gives cheers to the group. Mat peruses the scroll. "Very interesting . . . so it isn't a true shaping of the smoke at all, but instead a shaping of the mind's perception of that smoke. Intriguing! I'll have to memorize this trick for later."

Mat will continue to drink and talk with the men until they bid him goodnight. He will attempt to keep his wits about him though, drinking only enough to maintain a mild buzz.

23. - Top - End - #413

MonkGuy

Waking up the next morning, with a slight headache, Mathwin sees the group of men already packed up and ready to go. Feeling a bit more sluggish than he planned for, Mathwin groans at the morning light. Hearing this, Freidmont walks over and gently says, “Good morning my friend. Let this be a lesson to ever put a drink in Peter’s hand.” You glance over at Peter who is laying sideways over his horse, and a pile of sick underneath him. “Don’t worry about him, we’ll help him out in a little. But as for you, get onto the road, and stay safe.” As he past you on the back, you suddenly feel exponentially better, as if you didn’t drink the night before at all. Freidmont smiles, “Maybe I’ll do the same for him if he’s kind. He’s usually such an angry morning person.”

The rest of the group comes over to say goodbye and wish you safe journeys.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat shakes each hand firmly, thanking the men for their company. "I hope to see you all in the tournament! Best of luck!"

With that, Mat loads his gear onto Bill and continues his way towards the Hippogriffs. He continues to utilize his Cantrips to keep a close eye on his surroundings.

25. - Top - End - #415

MonkGuy

Just as the party leaves, Victor runs back quickly and hands you something wrapped up in some extra cloth. “I know how hard it can be for someone has strong with magic as you are, but we lack certain advantages staring in books all day long. These helped me more than anything I found in a chest. I hope they help you too! Bye!”

Before Mathwin can respond, Victor runs back towards his group yelling, “See you in the city!”

As you unwrap the cloth, you find a pair of black rimmed spectacles wrapped very carefully. These looks like they have been worn a lot, but look to be about your size.

With the determination of being as strong as these adventurers and Bill fed, Mathwin looks down the road with excitement in his adventure.
    Last edited by Leomor; 2016-01-29 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Rimmed

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat wonders exactly what the funny little illusionist meant . . . Hmm . . . I wonder?

Mat places the spectacles on, looping them around his ears under his wide-brimmed hat.

27. - Top - End - #417

MonkGuy

Carefully opening the glasses, Mathwin puts the glasses on his face. He doesn’t feel any different, but after a second, his sight seems to sharpen just a little. Certain objects in the distance seem a little more distinct.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat makes a mental note to thank the little pyro and continues on his way, wearing the glasses.

29. - Top - End - #419

MonkGuy

The sky is filled with deep grey clouds this morning. This usually means rain. Luckily the road is slightly paved by travelers, so he shouldn’t have to deal with much mud. As Mathwin makes it down the road, he meets some travelers, all whom keep to themselves and only give a nod at Mathwin’s existence. This isn't too uncommon with travelers, as many people on the roads to cities carry goods or money, which thieves are very likely to sniff out. No one wants to warrant any unwanted attention.

He is able to make is very far down the road when the rain starts. It starts off with a light rain, which Mat enjoys. Being on the road leaves a man dirty and rain provides a natural shower. Mat takes some time under a tree to fill up his waterskin and give Bill some water and feed. Bill is traveling the road well. Even in the rain and fear of vicious animals, he has been a great partner through and through.

Mathwin continues down the road for about another hour, when the winds start to pick up. He see’s trees starting to wave and hears the rain starting to pick up more. Hoping it is just the center of the storm, Mathwin continues on.

Mathwin is passing along side the Inner Sea now. There is something very calming about walking past the Sea during a storm. Hearing the waves picking up back and forth and crashing against the stones; the cool rain against his face, and the calm after the storm is quite soothing. However, Mathwin is startled when he sees a lightning bolt strike a few miles ahead of him. The accompanying crash of thunder follows quickly. He hears the rain picking up more and more, and the gust of winds become a little more powerful. Mathwin knows that he should find or make shelter soon, or risk the storm.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat begins to look for shelter near the road. Something that will provide a little protection from the wind and rain, but nothing that might already be inhabited. He also avoids tall trees, not wanting to be on the receiving end of one of those lighting blasts.