New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Best Non-Star Wars game to run a Star Wars campaign

I know of several licensed Star Wars games, but they all seem rather ill suited to run a Star Wars campaign.

What system would you pick to adapt for a Star Wars campaign?

I think it probably should be a system that plays very fast, has a simple character sheet, and few dice, and it also needs to be able to handle space battles and Jedi. But if you think other requirements might work better for a Star Wars game that would also be a great thing to discuss.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Best Non-Star Wars game to run a Star Wars campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I know of several licensed Star Wars games, but they all seem rather ill suited to run a Star Wars campaign.

Why not Alternity?

I think it probably should be a system that plays very fast, has a simple character sheet, and few dice...
    Nevermind.

But in all seriousness, it has the space combat, and easy adaptation to the Star Wars setting. However, it also has excessively dense rules, 4-page character sheets, and needs a small handful of dice. I love it anyways.
    Last edited by Freelance GM; 2015-08-24 at 03:23 PM.
    Check out my 5E Foraging/Alchemy Rules!

God help me, I've made a 5E Magical Girl and people liked it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I used a bastardised version of the Fallout rules ("Fallout pen & paper game" as they call it). It was easy to use, easy to take an educated guess at equipment stats and species stats, plus the built in perks system allowed characters to develop quickly. A bit more bastardising handled Jedi (I used the Luck stat as Force sensitivity, affecting some die rolls and outcomes etc, and added some Luck-based Jedi perks, appropriate for what a novice might figure out without guidance).

We had a lot of fun with characters who were smugglers, rebels, mercs and similar: Star Wars allows so many different personalities to come into contact that the players were able to have idealists, suave gamblers, hardened mercs and down on their luck smugglers desperate for quick cash, all in one party.

Happy days.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

fate,
    but I would answer that for anything that wants light system and a variety of situations.

Seriously, though, fate would be great for starwars, pretty much whatever part of the world you want to focus on.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Exactly what kind of Star Wars game are we talking, here? In my experience, they tend to be split along the lines that FFG used: the Jedi game, the Smuggler game, and the Rebels game. Oftentimes groups jumble these story lines more than they intend.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I would definitely have to say the Cortex Plus Firefly game. It handles everything short of Jedi with incredible ease, and creative use of distinctions, plot points, and signature assets can do a fair job replicating Jedi as well.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I know someone on Dragonsfoot was talking about using Stars Without Number, which is based on BECMI type D&D. You might check there, as well.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Nonsense. WEG d6 system is perfect for it. BUT...

The next best answer is whatever system that YOU and your players are most familiar with.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I think it probably should be a system that plays very fast, has a simple character sheet, and few dice, and it also needs to be able to handle space battles and Jedi. But if you think other requirements might work better for a Star Wars game that would also be a great thing to discuss.
    There is no 'very fast' way to handle space combat that actually feels like space combat in anything resembling a reasonable way. Space combat is cumbersome and complicated - especially so in Star Wars, which inevitably has to juggle shield pools and armor and hull points. Even Star Wars video games generally can't manage to bridge the gap in an effective way (witness KOTOR or TOR's very limited space combat systems).

Star Wars Saga is actually a pretty fast system, especially at low levels, as it resembles a streamlined version of d20 (and due to high weapon damage, things die quickly). So if your players are d20 veterans it might play faster for a short term campaign than trying to learn a completely new system.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    There is no 'very fast' way to handle space combat that actually feels like space combat in anything resembling a reasonable way. Space combat is cumbersome and complicated - especially so in Star Wars, which inevitably has to juggle shield pools and armor and hull points. Even Star Wars video games generally can't manage to bridge the gap in an effective way (witness KOTOR or TOR's very limited space combat systems).
    Never heard of "TIE Fighter"?

11. - Top - End - #11

PirateCaptain

I used D&D 5E to run a pretty successful Star Wars one-shot. The alt-rules I wrote up for it took up only a couple of pages, double-spaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

I second stars without numbers.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

5e dnd.

Bear with me!

Warlocks make great Jedi. A few special powers, flung objects the rest of the time, some jumping and running as innate powers, and for a Jedi Knight you can go blade.

Fighters make great Stormtroopers, too. Heavy armor, heavy weapons, more attacks.

And the Thief rogue makes a great smuggler.

With backgrounds helping to divorce skills and aptitudes from classes a little its easier to make a Princess Jedi or turn that Stormtrooper into a Bounty Hunter.

Paladins also make decent Jedi, with smite standing in for the blade having a laser edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Not everyone has the resources or the ability to become a wizard or a sorcerer, after all. Warlocking just requires a pact, very democratic, really. Doesn't require wealth or a magical lineage, just a promise, and all of your problems will go away.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

This is going to vary a lot depending on taste.

I second Fate as good (but not great) for anything, and great for highly narrative games, but it's a very 'like it or get confused by it' system in my experience.

I've considered hacking Shadowrun to do Star Wars, but it's nowhere near what you want (bucketful of d6s, relatively slow, complex character sheet, no in-built space combat).

If you limit Space Combat to 2D you can get a half-decent combat system by hacking vector racetrack, and I plan to use a version on a Hex Grid when I run Space Opera. 3D space is hard using an RPG, beaten only by physics-consistent air combat (where you also have air resistance, maximum speed, and all that stuff in addition to acceleration, momentum, and other space battle stuff).

You thought 3.5 wizards using fly was hard to bookkeep (well, I've only heard this complaint from newbies), now imagine having to keep track of every craft's velocity (not speed), elevation relative to other ships, facing (as unrelated to velocity as players are willing to sacrifice thrust), hull points, shields, life support, and FTL drive status.

That's the easy version, the horrible version (which I plan to use) includes armour sections, internal hull ratings, component integrity (from life support to weapons to drives), crew member status, ammunition yield (to calculate damage if ammo is hit), fuel yield (to calculate damage if a fuel tank is hit), AI level and status (reduces crew members needed), as well as velocity, acceleration, elevation, facing, and shields.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

If you're really looking for a fast system it might be an idea to just not model space travel and combat completely. They're going to X-planetium? Okay. The travel time is two days. After two thirds of that time they notice two fighter planes approaching fast. One person is piloting the ship and gets to make some sort of flying(dex) checks to lose one or both fighters, while the others man the guns and roll against some to hit DC with whatever skill or stat or something applies. In the case of fighters that DC will be pretty high, but with low HP, a good damage roll might get them in one go. Every other ship type has something different about it to keep things interesting. Freighters and smuggler ships might make interesting targets for the players, they're making flying checks to stay on their trail. Star Destroyers are slow and relatively easy to escape from, if you manage to disable their tractor beam and maybe their sensors or something first (which sounds like a job for a boarding party). That way you can still have a little bit of space battling while using a system focused on the players doing stuff while on planets. Not satisfactory if you're looking to do lots of space fighting, but a quick way to add it to a ground based system that fits the rest of the requirements.

16. - Top - End - #16

I'll echo the Fate recommendations, and go one step further with something specific: the Atomic Robo RPG. In-play, it's pretty much as simple as Fate Core (it adds one new scene type, Brainstorming, which is awesome but maybe not very Star Wars so you can ignore it if you want). It includes simple rules for creating custom skills, so you can model different uses of The Force. It includes rules for vehicle combat, and you can also extend the Organization rules to your ship if it's a central part of your game. I used a combination of ARRPG and Venture City Stories to run Avatar, and it worked pretty darn well.

I've also heard several people say that Jadepunk works great for Star Wars, though I've only ever used it with its base setting.

On the way simpler end of the spectrum, you can just use Fate Accelerated, and change up what the consequences are when you're in a space battle. When Shadowcraft comes out (next month, hopefully!), I think it'll be a perfect middle ground, but we'll see.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show
    The Sphere Tactician, a Tactician archetype for Spheres of Power.
    The Bullet Witch, a Gunslinger archetype also for Spheres of Power

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D+1 View Post
    Nonsense. WEG d6 system is perfect for it. BUT...
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Try the Star Warriors game for WEG's SW d6 game. That is if you want to get in to more detailed space combat. Otherwise the d6 rules handle space combat just fine....no juggling shield pools and hull points.

Seriously...why try to re-invent the wheel?
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

18. - Top - End - #18

I don't see why juggling shields and hull damage is 'inevitable' in Star Wars games anyway? I don't see the source material caring much about the difference; damage is pretty much damage, set-piece missions to take down battlestation shields notwithstanding.

(Expanded universe also notwithstanding, as I've only seen the movies and bits of Clone Wars.)
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show
    The Sphere Tactician, a Tactician archetype for Spheres of Power.
    The Bullet Witch, a Gunslinger archetype also for Spheres of Power

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Bountyhead Bebop has some pretty good rules for quick space combat. Only issue with it is that you'd have to Brew up some Jedi rules. The current 'magic' system for telekinetic psychics and feng shui masters could mix well for Jedis. Awesome simple rules system.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dark Heresy with some homerules

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D+1 View Post
    Nonsense. WEG d6 system is perfect for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Try the Star Warriors game for WEG's SW d6 game. That is if you want to get in to more detailed space combat. Otherwise the d6 rules handle space combat just fine....no juggling shield pools and hull points.
    I downloaded the free d6 Space rules and it looks interesting. Lots of skills, but the character sheet looks very tidy. And while I usually hate dice pools, adding up the total instead of counting successes doesn't seem too unfamiliar.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Savage Worlds yet. It’s inexpensive, the core rule book can handle pretty much anything you would want in a Star Wars game, but there is also a Sci-Fi Companion book that is a really good resource.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I'd go with Fudge, personally. With that said there's a number of systems which could work pretty well, taking varying degrees of tweaking. A modified ORE system could be particularly good, but that's getting into heavy tweaking territory.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

This.

Seriously...why try to re-invent the wheel?
    Thirded. D6 Star wars was well designed and well balanced. Taught me to add numbers quickly too. The first edition had a few minor bugs, but was fixed in 2nd edition. Handled space combat really well too (at least as shown in SW)

I downloaded the free d6 Space rules and it looks interesting. Lots of skills, but the character sheet looks very tidy. And while I usually hate dice pools, adding up the total instead of counting successes doesn't seem too unfamiliar.
    I am running a D6 fantasy campaign, and built one heck of a character builder / sheet in EXCEL that handles some of the math. It was easy. I prefer the Multiple dice over one D20- I love bell curves.
    Last edited by lt_murgen; 2015-08-27 at 01:44 PM.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Fate, easily.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

GURPS, maybe. It would be necessary to look over the psionics rules and take out powers that are not known to be of the Force, but it could make for an interesting story if a villain or a world population had powers not normally associated with the Force.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Oh, look. Another chance for me to shamelessly plug GURPS...

Only need d6s, space battles are included, characters are interesting. And while characters themselves are rather complex, the character sheets rarely are...

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    GURPS, maybe. It would be necessary to look over the psionics rules and take out powers that are not known to be of the Force, but it could make for an interesting story if a villain or a world population had powers not normally associated with the Force.
    There is actually a whole Star Wars Sourcebook for GURPS. It was an unofficial endeavor, but a quality one.
    Last edited by BootStrapTommy; 2015-08-28 at 11:26 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I love the spaceship rules for d6. They are really just the regular rules for movement and combat. The only major difference are the lists for possible penalties when a ship gets damaged. Strange idea to have a space combat system that is almost entirely only critical hit tables, but it looks really fun to play.
    I like the movement rules in general. It's made for chase scenes either on foot or in vehicles.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Strange idea to have a space combat system that is almost entirely only critical hit tables, but it looks really fun to play. I like the movement rules in general. It's made for chase scenes either on foot or in vehicles.
    If you have ever get to look close up at your "average" jet fighter, you will understand the "almost entirely only critical hit tables" thing. I, personally, have accidentally put my hand through the fuselage of an F-14, after slipping on some spilled JP-5 (jet fuel). Think how easily Luke and Han blew up the Tie-Fighters that chased them out of the Death Star....
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    Never heard of "TIE Fighter"?
    Its a dedicated space combat sim, not an RPG.