New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Building classes

I was thinking about starting a game featuring the players in adventurer's academy. Instead of being :Rougue, I was wondering if the combined heads here could instead create a system for mix-and-matching abilities. So, a rogue could have sneak attack, monk unarmed strike, rage, and a d4 hitdie to balance it. What are your opinions?
    "I reject your reality, and subsitute my own" -Adam Savage

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Building classes

i had one started.....it gets ugly but if you want help im onboard. Im sure my thread is way way back but might as well make a system with more heads put togather
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2007-05-10 at 05:30 PM.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm going to say right here that that looks like a bad idea. A rogue with unarmed strike, rage and sneak attack is going to want to get up-close and personal to start hitting pressure points and vitals while acting in a mad frenzy. With a d4 hit die, however, he'll just die. Really easily. Even with the rage constitution boost.

Any character meant to spend a significant amount of time on the front lines should have a d8 or d10 hit die. Melee rogues can do terrific damage, but even with the d6 hit die they're still quite frail. D4 would ensure that they don't live through most encounters. Those other factors make them more effective at hitting things but only marginally more effective at not dying, and that with the d4 hit die is suicidal.
    Last edited by Behold_the_Void; 2007-05-10 at 05:44 PM.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's a to a similar project that was attempted by some at wizards. It ranks all abilities, gives them a point value, and at each level you get a certain number of points.
    http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=205053

It is extremely complicated, as something on that scale needs to be.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

You could try the ninja from complete warrior. He has Skirmish (Sneak Attack variant), and some Monk based abilities, like AC bonuses.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I was giving an example, not something serious. I was showing how the mix-and-matching could work. don't get hung up on the example.
    "I reject your reality, and subsitute my own" -Adam Savage

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball.Man.Guy. View Post
    I was giving an example, not something serious. I was showing how the mix-and-matching could work. don't get hung up on the example.
    I was operating under the assumption that that was what you were looking to make.

So, if you'd like help, what exactly are you trying to have made, class-wise? We can't help you if we don't know what you want.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Generic Classes Might be similar to what you are looking for, possibly not quite the level of customization you are looking for, but it's a start.

I've also heard True d20 from Green Ronin does something similar to that. From what I understand it acually has many improvements over the D&D system.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion