New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Spell compendium - Yay or nay?

I was considering buying the SC, but I was wondering if it was worht it or just a waste my money. I don't have any of the Complete books, but we have most of them in my group...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Soepvork? Bang freakin' on. A cookie must be doled out, though I fear its chocolate chip-deliciously-infected substance is far too lacking of grandeur to be a prize of the appropriate scale.

So you get two cookies.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Spell compendium - Yay or nay?

If you ever wish to play a caster, this book is for you. 'Caster' in this context is anyone who can cast spells, not just Cleric/Druid/Sor/Wiz.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

I like it. It's a lot more convenient to have the spells in one book than to page through half a dozen trying to remember where greater mage armour was originally printed. Plus some of the spells are updated.

I'd say it's worth it if you play spellcasting characters heavily.

- Saph

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    I like it. It's a lot more convenient to have the spells in one book than to page through half a dozen trying to remember where greater mage armour was originally printed. Plus some of the spells are updated.

I'd say it's worth it if you play spellcasting characters heavily.

- Saph

Its one of the best books that I have ever used in 3.5. Its so good that if I didn't already have a copy I would actually pay for it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Totally worth it. Of course, you have to filter good spells from junk and crap, but you have to do that with core and all splatbooks anyway. It's a must-have for everyone who likes to play casters.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-05-11 at 08:02 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well if you play noncasters dont get it. A ranger dosent need it, a palladan dosent need it, a bard..... well maby. Sorcerer/Cleric/Druid/Wizard Needs it. Just for the lightning arc spell.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bottom Line: It's exactly what's promised; lots and lots of new spells.
    Generally the first and most often thing I open when I'm building any character who casts spells.

And this isn't just for cheese casters: the greater options really helps you create a flavorful sor/wiz/druid spell list.
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Now can Rhino Charge and Smite Evil stack?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yea. A must have for every spell caster, and fewer books to break your back. If I am looking at core +, that would be one of the books.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    Sure, all flat damage bonuses are multiplied ... only bonus damage dice are not.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    Yes, our Pally does it all the time.

I love the SpC. It's a must have for full casters, and even the half casters get quite a few neat spells that actually makes their spellcasting somewhat worth it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan_Scott82 View Post
    ...From an in character perspective, being one who knows they're about to face emminant demise, it makes every bit of sense to pursue the course of greatest power...To not try to make your character as effective as possible within the confines of the rules and the characters background, and surrounding environment is to be decidely out of character.

Credit to Ceika for the awesome avatar (which happens to be Norril, my Nomad).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWiz View Post
    Well if you play noncasters dont get it. A ranger dosent need it, a palladan dosent need it, a bard..... well maby. Sorcerer/Cleric/Druid/Wizard Needs it. Just for the lightning arc spell.
    There are good spells for ranger and paladin as well. It turns their casting from a useless annoying bit of extra book-keeping to being somewhat helpful sometimes.

13. - Top - End - #13

Yay.
    I dislike 10 character limits with great intensity.
    TopSecret's First Ever Two Page Tabletop Contest
    If you have any questions, want to talk about the contest entries, or you just want to hang out with cool people, visit our forums.

14. - Top - End - #14

Just remember that there are spells in there that are unbalanced. But that's no different from the Player's Handbook. There may be a tad more though. I haven't meticulously gone through it.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    Just remember that there are spells in there that are unbalanced. But that's no different from the Player's Handbook. There may be a tad more though. I haven't meticulously gone through it.
    Wraithstrike and energy transformation field come to mind immediately.

On the whole, though, there isn't too much cheese.
    Spoiler
    Show

...From an in character perspective, being one who knows they're about to face emminant demise, it makes every bit of sense to pursue the course of greatest power...To not try to make your character as effective as possible within the confines of the rules and the characters background, and surrounding environment is to be decidely out of character.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Wind View Post
    Wraithstrike and energy transformation field come to mind immediately.

On the whole, though, there isn't too much cheese.
    Mass resist energy at only level 3 for clerics comes to mind, as do most of the new ray spells. Most glaring might be ray of stupidity. Intelligence damage, yay! So pretty much any encounter with a monster of type animal is ... over. Then there's ray of dizziness. Any monster who relies on multiple attacks, like say ... a dragon ... is out of luck. There's also some new clerical 4th level spell moon something or other that can do ridiculous amounts of strength damage.

I can't wait to check out energy transformation field!
    Last edited by ken-do-nim; 2007-05-11 at 03:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    Mass resist energy at only level 3 for clerics comes to mind, as do most of the new ray spells. Most glaring might be ray of stupidity. Intelligence damage, yay! So pretty much any encounter with a monster of type animal is ... over. Then there's ray of dizziness. Any monster who relies on multiple attacks, like say ... a dragon ... is out of luck. There's also some new clerical 4th level spell moon something or other that can do ridiculous amounts of strength damage.
    Ack, I forgot about ray of stupidity/ It's an auto-kill vs. animals (goodbye dinasaur encounter).
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I thought Ray of Stupidity was a penalty and therefore couldn't reduce below 1?

19. - Top - End - #19

One of the most powerful spells in D&D is in that book. The 9th level wizard spell programmed amnesia. With it you can take over the entire world in about 2 weeks without anyone realizing it. Even the people who do exactly what you want them to.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    I thought Ray of Stupidity was a penalty and therefore couldn't reduce below 1?
    Negative; it's int damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    One of the most powerful spells in D&D is in that book. The 9th level wizard spell programmed amnesia. With it you can take over the entire world in about 2 weeks without anyone realizing it. Even the people who do exactly what you want them to.
    Ooh, I'll check that one out too tonight.
    Last edited by ken-do-nim; 2007-05-11 at 04:03 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    You think that's bad? Check out mindrape from the BoVD.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Wraithstrike isn't really that broken. It's powerful, but it's also only really useful for gishes (cause it's personal range), and they have issues of their own. The brokenness comes when you make, say, an item of continuous wraithstrike - and then you might as well add continuous True Strike too, because you're already abusing the rules.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. Not only do you know their entire life history now, you can rewrite it to better suit you. Or just leave them insane. And it's a standard action to cast. The only disadvantage is that you can't set a trigger like with Programmed Amnesia.

Assay Spell Resistance and Owl's Insight have problems too. Overall, though, it's a handy book, even for paladins and rangers.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

24. - Top - End - #24

I let people make all the items of continuous true strike that they want. It only activates once.

The broken item is the use activated item of truestrike.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Assay Spell Resistance and Owl's Insight have problems too.
    The way I see it, if Druid's can get a crazy high insight bonus to their primary casting stat, then Wizards should, too. It's only fair. I want my +10 insight to INT spell! [/Wizard Bias]

Honestly, though, the book really is good, even if it has a couple of overpowered spells. What book doesn't, after all?
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

The only advantage to mindrape is the standard action. Otherwise Programmed Amnesia is better.

It gives you total access to their mind and you can add multiple "builds" at once each wit ha different triggering condition. So you rebuild a guy from the ground up to think he is a spy working for you and has been his whole life. Make him a true zealot who will do whatever you say (easily done). Now make what is essentially a copy of his current mind but remove the part about you editing him. Leave this as a self updating regular build, it in effect backs up his mind. Key this build to a different triggering condition

Now use a permanent telepathic bond with him. Whenever you want something send the triggering word and he si all the sudden the loyal zealot who does whatever you want. Then send the other triggering condition which restores him to normal.

Its like giving a guy multipel personality disorder and having the regular personality not know about the one that does whatever you want.

27. - Top - End - #27

RedSorcererGirl

Thumbs up Re: Spell compendium - Yay or nay?

One of the most powerful (or most broken, depending on your viewpoint ) spells in the Spell Compendium is Revivify, a 5th level Cleric spell that let's you True Resurrect someone (i.e. no XP loss) for only 1000 gold. The only limitation is that it must be cast within one round of the person's death, but most of the time the Cleric can get to a fallen companion within one round. Note this means a Wizard 13 can True Ressurect for just 300 XP by casting Limited Wish and duplicating Revivify (you don't even have to pay 1000 gold there, because Limited Wish covers any material component worth 1000 gold or under).

If it's been more than a round since your ally's death, you can still True Ressurect them for 1000 gold. Wait until the battle's over, and cast Revenance, a 4th level Cleric spell, which temporarily True Ressurects them for free. Wait next to them until that spell wears off and they die again, and then immediately cast Revivify to bring them back permanently. Of course, a Wizard can do this too, by also duplicating Revenance with Limited Wish.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I definately say yay. Not having to cart round all the Completes, Libris Mortis and the Draconomicon is worth it just for that.

(Y'know, unless you were theoretically daft enough to write a conversion of Dragon Mountain and include at least one of virtually every base class and use most of the feats or something).

29. - Top - End - #29

I'm not much of a caster player, but I've found it to be very effective while DMing when creating caster enemies. My caster players (all of them, not just the full guys) likewise love it. This is certainly up there with some of the more legendary supplements in 3.5.

As to programmed amnesia and mindrape- I have both books and a player (wizard) that's been salivating at using these in later levels. I'm just lucky that there's actually a second evil player in the group (cleric) that opposes him merely because both are too arrogant to ever team up. Though I feel very sorry for the other six players who picked good alignments...
    Do not meddle in the affairs of adventurers, for you are expendable and full of EXP.

Overblown fantasy action/adventure/comedy/drama/spoof. Updates M/W/F

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PinkysBrain View Post
    Sure, all flat damage bonuses are multiplied ... only bonus damage dice are not.
    Yes, our Pally does it all the time.

I love the SpC. It's a must have for full casters, and even the half casters get quite a few neat spells that actually makes their spellcasting somewhat worth it.
    I guess it's my fault for not stating it was rhetorical question -_-'.