New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default I've figured out what 4th edition will be!

In 4th edition, the Player's Handbook (always shrinkwrapped at the store so you can't browse through it) will be ... randomized! You won't know what classes are in each book, so you may have to buy many handbooks to get the class you want to play. Something like:

Fighter ... common
    Barbarian ... common
    Rogue ... common
    Sorcerer ... uncommon
    Paladin ... uncommon
    Cleric ... rare
    Druid ... rare
    Wizard ... rare

See? Class balance is achieved because the full memorization casters are rares. See???

Also the spells are randomized too. Polymorph is now fixed (!), because it's ... rare.

Maybe they'll even go the extra mile, and at 1st level and every time you level up you have 200 character points to spend. Maybe the rare classes cost more points to take. Maybe the really good feats are rares too and also cost more.

I can't wait to order a case of 4th edition Player's Handbooks. I just hope one of the books in the case has a warlock. Been looking forward to playing one.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: I've figured out what 4th edition will be!

LOL

this is a joke right?
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

This is the aftermath of two WotC planning executives, arms full of papers, colliding in an intersection and then scrambling to pick up just any armful of papers, isn't it?

(Also, the next edition of Magic: The Gathering will feature a new mechanic - Experience Points!)
    Last edited by Indon; 2007-05-11 at 07:37 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well since I download all my books thsi won't bother me at all.

Spoiler
    Show
    yes I know its satire.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Will there be booster Player Handbooks? Maybe they'll bring the PrCs, with new PrCs in every booster edition.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Bards and Monks will not only be very rare, but foiled!

Those that get the monk will be sorely disappointed.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

While I like this, I hope there's a bit more 'generalization' going with the core classes...

Fighter
    Magic User
    Rogue
    Priest

Gish, Arcane
    Gish, Divine

Trickster, Arcane
    Trickster, Divine

Rogue Warrior

Then the different books could have various talent trees, some rare, most common... so only the very lucky might have the Transmutation talent tree for their Magic User or Arcane X character.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    In 4th edition, the Player's Handbook (always shrinkwrapped at the store so you can't browse through it) will be ... randomized! You won't know what classes are in each book, so you may have to buy many handbooks to get the class you want to play. Something like:
    I remember making this prediction about 3e back in the 90s when WotC bought TSR.

Maybe they'll even go the extra mile, and at 1st level and every time you level up you have 200 character points to spend. Maybe the rare classes cost more points to take. Maybe the really good feats are rares too and also cost more.
    It would be almost like balancing the classes by having a seperate experience table for each that was set up to have some classes take more more experience to level up than others -- but where would they get a crazy idea like that?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ocato View Post
    Bards and Monks will not only be very rare, but foiled!

Those that get the monk will be sorely disappointed.
    And unless they drastically change the bard, so would any people who got a foil

10. - Top - End - #10

Fighter ... common
    Barbarian ... common
    Rogue ... common
    Sorcerer ... uncommon
    Paladin ... uncommon
    Cleric ... rare
    Druid ... rare
    Wizard ... rare

See? Class balance is achieved because the full memorization casters are rares. See???

Also the spells are randomized too. Polymorph is now fixed (!), because it's ... rare.

I can't wait to order a case of 4th edition Player's Handbooks. I just hope one of the books in the case has a warlock. Been looking forward to playing one.
    Please delete this before someone at WotC sees it. It's only a matter of time.
    Don't give them ideas.
    TopSecret's First Ever Two Page Tabletop Contest
    If you have any questions, want to talk about the contest entries, or you just want to hang out with cool people, visit our forums.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by MaxKaladin View Post
    I remember making this prediction about 3e back in the 90s when WotC bought TSR.
    You da man. To think, that was before randomized minis too.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxKaladin
    It would be almost like balancing the classes by having a seperate experience table for each that was set up to have some classes take more more experience to level up than others -- but where would they get a crazy idea like that?
    Oh, I can see it now. 4th Edition is released, and lo and behold, they just decide to reprint the 2E books and call them 4E (but with the armor classes going up, weapon proficiencies renamed to feats, and non-weapon proficiencies renamed to skills). Then they'll start putting out new adventures like "Return of the Speaker In Dreams" and "Expedition to Heartfang's Spire" where they've translated those old 3E modules back/forward into 2E/4E lingo.