New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default When Did D&D Become "Cool"?

I Was wondering when DND became Cool, 'cause I started Liking it around...Second edition, I want/need to know if its cool or not so I can say "I liked DND Before it was cool."
    Often Stroller of Gamer Flux
    http://heroofthepeople.proboards79.com/index.cgi
    Please Join...Please, Its about Video Games... Its great!
    to
    Don't click Here, Don't do it.!

don't click this link either!...
    I was A horribly Demonic Monster from hell in the great Link Vs Sephiroth Wars

Characters
    Xaal Truya

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: When Did D&D Become "Cool"?

Do you mean cool by our personal standards or by the standards of teh general public?
    from,
    EE

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Geekery in general has become a fair bit more mainstream over the last few years with the rise of the Internet...although D&D generally still remains outside that mainstream by a slight bit.
    Last edited by Talya; 2007-05-12 at 10:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

well, theres several celebrities that play regularly now, and generaly play rpg's too, and 3.5 for all its flaws has made it a much more video-gamish game. people that go to every tourney are still geeks tho.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

D&D is not cool, or I would have been able to find a group this year. D&D is merely acceptable. :P

6. - Top - End - #6

since i started to play

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's not exactly cool but it has come far from the days when most people thought it was devil worship and wanted to "reform" you if you played it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

When will D&D become cool?
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein

sugar (to be consumed by Thog.)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Yeah, tabletop roleplaying games has never been cool... In fact, if the name "Dungeons and Dragons" has gotten any sort of recognition, it is as a synonym of geekery...

Of course, being a geek nowadays its not as bad as it was on my day... On those days, no one could imagine that nerds could one day become millionaires and have trophy wives...

...and we had to go barefoot to the nearest hobby store, 10 miles! In the Snow!

Bah, who am I kidding, there's no snow in Mexico city
    -

Is it evil, Evil, Evil or EVIL?
    Expanded Alignment Rules (PEACH)

-

Playing a Paladin? Don't fall into the traps of casuistry or excessive rigourism!

Instead of that, read Peregrine's lesson

-

"It's almost like the universe is trying to deliberately force some form of arbitrary equality between those of us who can reshape matter with our thoughts and those who cannot!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    It's not exactly cool but it has come far from the days when most people thought it was devil worship and wanted to "reform" you if you played it.
    For the most part, anyway...

Anyway, I think what you're seeing is merely the fact that D&D has come to be more accepted for what it is - "a game" - more than "some weird thing that smelly geeks do". I wouldn't say D&D is 'cool', just a bit more...understood.

I think things like the LoTR movies that have brought the genre into the mainstream spotlight have contributed to this a bit.

~PS
    Last edited by Penguinsushi; 2007-05-12 at 10:54 PM.
    "One Penguin To Rule Them All..."

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm invisible...I'm invisible...I'm baby mice-ing invisible!" ~ Diva De

The Boot. Fear it.

Thanks to Trog for OotK icon
    Also, thanks to El J, Kubb Ambassador

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

D&D is not cool. It never was. Not from a mainstream point of view. The normal response I get when I mention D&D in public is, "What's that?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

The 3rd edition has seen it's own rise in popularity, but that's to be expected from such an intuitive system. I don't think D&D will ever hit the mainstream like it did in the 80s. ONly because it requires so much player effort to enjoy. The reason RPGs are so popular is because they have visual aids, and straight forward goals. D&D is the closest thing to that in a roleplaying game. That's why D&D seems to be so mainstream.
    I'll race you to the top of the spire.

HOW TO ROLL ON THE FORUM SITE:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Orlove View Post
    For example: [roll=Spot ]1d20+5[/roll ] would show up (without the extra spaces) as a normal roll.
    There's also [rollv=NameOfRoll]xdy+z[/rollv] which will show you all the individual rolls, eg: [rollv=strength ]4d6[/rollv ] gives you 4 rolls, and their sum.
    [roll=strength ]4d6b3[/roll ] gives you the best 3 of the 4 rolls

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Never. You're a dork. A super dork since you know what "second edition" means in that context.

14. - Top - End - #14

Like, dude, isn't second edition what they used to play before D&D?
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Dońa, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

NO! If DnD was cool geeks wouldn't play it, you just think so because people don't hate us like they used to, and on a plus side few think us devil-worshippers, on the downside they think we are powderkegs ready to lose perception of reality and attack anyone who is mean to us.
    Love=evil
    Love leads to chaos
    Chaos leads to heartbreak
    Heartbreak leads to stalker
    Magic leads to invisible stalker
    Love, increasing evil's forces one
    dope at a time.

Looking for players for my star trek game, its in recruitment under, The ultimate voyage.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yechezkiel View Post
    When will D&D become cool?
    Hopefully never. Cool = mainstream, and mainstream = lowest common denominator. Stay geeky, people.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Hopefully never. Cool = mainstream, and mainstream = lowest common denominator. Stay geeky, people.
    Good point. Anyway, I think that's what computer/console rpg's are for...

~PS
    "One Penguin To Rule Them All..."

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm invisible...I'm invisible...I'm baby mice-ing invisible!" ~ Diva De

The Boot. Fear it.

Thanks to Trog for OotK icon
    Also, thanks to El J, Kubb Ambassador

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Not even Vin Diesel could make D&D cool - so that pretty much means it'll never happen. Ever. Anywhere. In the entire universe. Or any others.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

D&D's always been cool! Everything else is just uncool.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

20. - Top - End - #20

the classic geeks are gone these day no coke bottle glasses suspenders look at me i play d&d 1 of the bes kids in gym chicks dig me on track team in my school besides the jocks and the preps the d&d nerds are a big group

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by de-trick View Post
    the classic geeks are gone these day no coke bottle glasses suspenders look at me i play d&d 1 of the bes kids in gym chicks dig me on track team in my school besides the jocks and the preps the d&d nerds are a big group
    The classic geek is a myth these days; no coke bottle glasses and suspenders.

Look at me, I play D&D, am one of the best kids in gym, chicks dig me, and on the track team in my school the D&D nerds are a large group - along side the jocks and the preps.

/Translated by Tippy Industries: So you don't have to waste any points in Decipher Script.

------
    Yes, D&D and being a nerd has changed a lot in the past 15 years but D&D still isn't "cool". It is just not something that gets you beat up or causes the court to order a psych evaluation any more.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post

Look at me, I play D&D, am one of the best kids in gym, chicks dig me, and on the track team in my school the D&D nerds are a large group - along side the jocks and the preps.

/Translated by Tippy Industries: So you don't have to waste any points in Decipher Script.

------
    Yes, D&D and being a nerd has changed a lot in the past 15 years but D&D still isn't "cool". It is just not something that gets you beat up or causes the court to order a psych evaluation any more.
    Ah, thank you Sir, I never did put any ranks in that skill.

As for DnD being cool....nah. It's acceptable, maybe neat to those who've heard of it but don't play, but like others have said, cool = mainstream, and mainstream it is not.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

It's cool in certain circles. Being a geek no longer has the negative connotations it used to, so those that otherwise never would have touched tabletop gaming are starting to come in full force. Where I live only the trendiest play D&D, since it was started by a few of us as privledged and mildly popular children with an abundance of money, spare time, and imagination. It's grown since then so that you aren't really cool if you aren't invited to D&D nights with other cool kids, much like partying.

But our town is loopy anyway.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of adventurers, for you are expendable and full of EXP.

Overblown fantasy action/adventure/comedy/drama/spoof. Updates M/W/F

24. - Top - End - #24

You Americans and you're 'Cliques'

a geek never had negative cannotations here

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy

Okay, not to derail the thread, but I'm getting pretty sick and tired of people pretending that others' posts need "translating." Nobody who's smart enough to spell it right in the first place would have trouble understanding even the sloppiest posts on the board. To show precisely what I think of anal-retentive grammer nazis, I'm going to make this the last grammatically correct sentence I post on GitP.

sos this one times sees i haed a job workin there as a parkin attendant see.and i had to baskly waetch baskly a streetkronur 4 leik ayt hrs a day ok, and this grrl was w/me and we got 2 talkin an i mentund i leik 2 play d&d.so she gets all this big consurnd look on hr faes n she says she says "ono, iv herd a lot of peepul get in2 taht n tehy stops goin outseid n doin nrmal fings an tehy tink ter sum1 else" n im leik "y on erf wud u fink taht?" n she says she saw it on an epusoed of LIZZY MAGUIRE, sheesh.... i fink teh medya is doin a lot 2 bash "nurds" n in2lectual/imaganatif typs in genurul wich feeds in2 things leik teh sur-cuss w/teh Virginia shootins n dat Jack Tompson crctr tryin to portrae us as a dangr.i wudnt fink its a big deel but my X-pear-anses sho a lot of peeps rly do bai in2 dat....

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In singapore, nerd culture is prevalent and from what I've seen, DnD has either neutral or positive reactions here. Haven't seen any "OMG! You play DnD! Satanic occultist" or anything like that. Thank god...

Summary: DnD rather mainstream due to commercial success of RPGs and prevalence of computer gaming here
    Last edited by Ragna; 2007-05-13 at 02:34 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Meh. Back in the day I used to not study, and still get decent grades. The kids who spent their time buried in schoolbooks come exam time tended to be the ones who would also want to convert you from "devil worship". "RPGs" and "Role Playing Games" were considered "dirty words".
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

@Piedmon

The main reason you see this grammar nazi phenomenon is mostly from one cause. People treating it like chat rooms. Furthermore its annoying to a significant population of people to see this warping of the language. For the fact that this is a forum, more time can be spent on writing the post. Thus, better grammar is expected from most people on the aforementioned forums.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmon_Sama View Post
    Okay, not to derail the thread, but I'm getting pretty sick and tired of people pretending that others' posts need "translating." Nobody who's smart enough to spell it right in the first place would have trouble understanding even the sloppiest posts on the board. To show precisely what I think of anal-retentive grammer nazis, I'm going to make this the last grammatically correct sentence I post on GitP.

sos this one times sees i haed a job workin there as a parkin attendant see.and i had to baskly waetch baskly a streetkronur 4 leik ayt hrs a day ok, and this grrl was w/me and we got 2 talkin an i mentund i leik 2 play d&d.so she gets all this big consurnd look on hr faes n she says she says "ono, iv herd a lot of peepul get in2 taht n tehy stops goin outseid n doin nrmal fings an tehy tink ter sum1 else" n im leik "y on erf wud u fink taht?" n she says she saw it on an epusoed of LIZZY MAGUIRE, sheesh.... i fink teh medya is doin a lot 2 bash "nurds" n in2lectual/imaganatif typs in genurul wich feeds in2 things leik teh sur-cuss w/teh Virginia shootins n dat Jack Tompson crctr tryin to portrae us as a dangr.i wudnt fink its a big deel but my X-pear-anses sho a lot of peeps rly do bai in2 dat....
    I'll admit that Tippy's translations are rather passive-aggressive, but I'm frankly about ready to stop reading de-trick's posts entirely. Only the fact that he's promised to try harder has kept me reading. I'm reasonably certain that you're being facetious with the second half of your post, but if you were seriously to start posting like that full time, I don't think I'd ever read another post of yours. I don't think I would be alone. It's each person's responsibility to make their point clearly. If de-trick (or you) aren't willing to do that, then there's no reason why we should care about anything you say. If you don't care enough about your posts to make them legible, then we shouldn't have to care enough to decipher them. By posting in that fashion, you're implying that we aren't worth the effort to communicate with. If you don't want to communicate with us, then don't post. If you don't want to play here, then find something productive to do with your time. Read a book. Get some exercise. Learn to cook. Or take the time to make yourself understood, as you've done in the past. But don't waste our time and yours by posting gobbledygook. It will only annoy people.

We aren't demanding perfection. We just want some effort to be understandable. Not even that much effort. A good spell check program would do wonders.

And think about those people who truly do have problems with English. Think about the people who have dyslexia. I have a friend with severe dyslexia. He has a hell of a time when other people make too many spelling errors. That's why he's very careful of what he types. He still makes mistakes, but he makes the best effort he can to be understood. Think about the people for whom English is a second language. They're already having to deal with our jargon on top of having to translate everything. They don't need to deal with chatspeak and persistent spelling errors too.

All we ask is that you think of others when you type. That's all.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Dońa, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

30. - Top - End - #30

Indeed; thank you Jack.

For the Record, English is not my first language--nor even my second.