New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Stupid things found in the core books

Ever find something really stupid in the core books that makes no sense whatsoever? I didn't find this one but...

barbarians and rage
    according to my downloaded copy of the SRD, barbarians can
    "use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats"

why would a barbarian try and create items while raging? rages don't last that long. assuming a 20th level barb, a barbarian does not learn how to create items anyway. he may have craft as a class skill, but who in the nine hells or the infinite layers of the abyss ever sink precious skill ranks into Craft on their barbarian. my barbarians sink ranks into survival and jump. unless the barbarians try to sink ranks into Craft (scars), I don't think anyone is going to bother to sink ranks into craft.

post the stupidest things you have found in any SRD books
    Last edited by knightsaline; 2007-05-07 at 02:20 AM. Reason: removing 3 letters that caused most of the posts to be about misquotes
    Quote Originally Posted by knightsaline View Post
    Living Vengeful Gaze of God/Contingent True Resurrection: Kills you, kills itself, True rezzes itself, kills again, kills itself again, true rezzes itself again..........
    "On the other hand, maybe all of this could have been prevented if you had just managed to get laid once in a while. You can't tell me you would have been as tightly wound if you had been getting treasure type O once in a while"

Roxas avatar made by Adghar. The keyblades are Diamond dust and One Winged Angel

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Stupid things found in the core books

Well, to be fair, this prevents them from raging then using the Craft skill to produce infinite quarterstaves, which they could then lob with their high strength score.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Which is another silly thing in and of itself.
    The "Hugging your friends makes you go faster"-loophole is another thing I thought was really stupid.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Anyone see the "Variant: No variant sidebars" sidebar in the DMG? I really hope that was a joke.
    After some x length of time, the charge in the capacitor went down to 0.1e-17[mV]. After writing the answer on the board, my professor turned to the class, pointed at it, and said "What's this number?" We said "That's one times ten to the negative 18 millivolts" when he interupted us and said "Wrong! The answer is zero. If you can't accept that 0.1e-17[mV] is equal to zero, you need to change your major to math right now, or you will hate the rest of your career."

5. - Top - End - #5

what about the ever popular quarterstaff railgun! just get 196 million commoners to ready an action to hand a quarterstaff to the next person in the line.
    Last edited by knightsaline; 2007-05-05 at 06:58 AM.
    Living Vengeful Gaze of God/Contingent True Resurrection: Kills you, kills itself, True rezzes itself, kills again, kills itself again, true rezzes itself again..........
    "On the other hand, maybe all of this could have been prevented if you had just managed to get laid once in a while. You can't tell me you would have been as tightly wound if you had been getting treasure type O once in a while"

Roxas avatar made by Adghar. The keyblades are Diamond dust and One Winged Angel

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Diplomacy. Using only the Core rules, one can build a 4th-level character who can talk anyone into being his friend in a minute.

Ooh, the 5-foot metal coffin bomb! Get a metal box with a 5-by-5 feet square floor. Then get N people, and have all of them grapple each other inside the box. Seal the box, go somewhere safe, and tell the people to stop grappling.

The osmium - anti-osmium bomb! All you need is Major Creation, Eschew Materials and some knowledge of natural sciences, and you can blow up Earth!

The mount-unmount method of traveling around the world: To perform this trick, you need a few ranks in Ride. Use Ride to mount a horse as a free action. Use Ride to unmount the horse as a free action, but go to the other side of the animal. Mount the next horse. Et cetera ad nauseam (or at least until you run out of horses).
    Last edited by Attilargh; 2007-05-05 at 06:50 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

That mount-unmount thing is beyond ridiculous. Can you seriously expect people to legislate for player idiocy of that calibre?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Samurai base class from Complete Warrior. I think that validates as stupid.
    Libras D'lnar avatar by CSK

9. - Top - End - #9

I agree with you about the CWar samurai. i mean the ability to fart a MW katana and MW short sword at 1st level is just wrong.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

But CWar isn't core...

11. - Top - End - #11

barbarians and rage
    according to my downloaded copy of the SRD, barbarians cannot
    "use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats"

why would a barbarian try and create items while raging? rages don't last that long. assuming a 20th level barb, a barbarian does not learn how to create items anyway. he may have craft as a class skill, but who in the nine hells or the infinite layers of the abyss ever sink precious skill ranks into Craft on their barbarian. my barbarians sink ranks into survival and jump. unless the barbarians try to sink ranks into Craft (scars), I don't think anyone is going to bother to sink ranks into craft.
    Actually, if you check that again carefully (unless it's a really terrible copy of the SRD), it reads "can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, ...etc." Or so sayeth my PHB, which trumps any SRD.

EDIT: Nevermind, I now get the impression you knew this already and just misworded your OP. I appear to have misunderstood your initial point, being that specifying the Item Creation feats as an [unlikely] exception is absurd, since they are so very unlikely to be used under such circumstances. Or have I?
    Last edited by The White Knight; 2007-05-05 at 09:18 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The White Knight View Post
    Actually, if you check that again carefully (unless it's a really terrible copy of the SRD), it reads "can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, ...etc." Or so sayeth my PHB, which trumps any SRD.

EDIT: Nevermind, I now get the impression you knew this already and just misworded your OP. I appear to have misunderstood your initial point, being that specifying the Item Creation feats as an [unlikely] exception is absurd, since they are so very unlikely to be used under such circumstances. Or have I?
    Yeah, I think the OP was a misquote and no one else even noticed it. The point is that it's absurd to ban Item Creation during a rage, because honestly
    1) It generally takes much longer than the rage duration to craft something
    2) How many Barbarians take Item Creation feats anyway?
    3) Rage wouldn't help you at all (craft is an Int-based skill)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Well, pegasi lay eggs, diplomacy is ridiculous, setting someone on fire is basically harmless after a few levels, why so many oozes?, when you prc a wizard or sorceror your familiar does'nt get better, the time it takes to forge an adamantine full plate, a lot of things actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    when you prc a wizard or sorceror your familiar does'nt get better
    Why should it? Former class' features don't improve when you go into PrC.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Darkness doesn't actually create darkness. It creates shadowy illumination (and prevents brightening the area further). So you could literally cast Darkness in the middle of darkness and end up with more lighting.

Talk about a misnamed spell....

I do have a theory for this one. The spell rage behaves like a barbarian's range, and can last a bit longer then the caster concentrates.

I can see a scenario where one caster cast rage on another, then proceeds to concentrate for days while the other caster works on a magic item, taking advantage of the increased Con and hit points when the inevitable assassination happens.

And then the designers add a clause about "can't use item creation feats" to the barbarian's rage.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2007-05-05 at 02:57 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought you couldn't cast spells while raging, so why ban metamagic feats?
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Attilargh View Post
    The mount-unmount method of traveling around the world: To perform this trick, you need a few ranks in Ride. Use Ride to mount a horse as a free action. Use Ride to unmount the horse as a free action, but go to the other side of the animal. Mount the next horse. Et cetera ad nauseam (or at least until you run out of horses).
    I can already see the future of all D&D worlds: instead of roads there will be long rows of horses between the cities and messengers will be heavily trained in riding so they can travel halfway across a continent within 6 secons.

Same for the quarterstaff railgun. rows of millions of commoners next to the horserows to directly send small items from one town to the other.

18. - Top - End - #18

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    I thought you couldn't cast spells while raging, so why ban metamagic feats?
    Because if they didn't, them some munchkin would say

"hey, it doesn't say I can't use meta-magic feats, and since you need to be casting a spell to be using meta-magic feats, that means that I can cast spells while raging, but only if I use a meta-magic feat with them!"

though what that would accomplish, I don't know.

19. - Top - End - #19

One thing I think is really stupid? An empty 1-pint flask weighs 1.5 pounds, but a flask that contains a pint of oil weighs 1 pound.

EDIT: Hey, it gets more useful with feats like Energy Substitution, which doesn't raise spell levels.
    Last edited by Inyssius Tor; 2007-05-05 at 03:28 PM.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

The way Monks technically aren't proficient in Unarmed Strikes.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

21. - Top - End - #21

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    The way Monks technically aren't proficient in Unarmed Strikes.
    I thought creatures were always proficient with their own unarmed strikes..?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ikkitosen View Post
    i thought so too. otherwise NO ONE is proficient with unarmed strikes or any natural weapons

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ikkitosen View Post
    Nope. Most creatures are proficient with their Natural Weapons (and therefore Unarmed Strikes, if they are monks and therefore their unarmed strike counts as a natural weapon in some ways), as a function of their Type. But Humanoids are the exception.

The only creatures proficient in their own unarmed strikes are those whose classes say they are proficient in all simple weapons.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2007-05-05 at 03:59 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Otto's Grog and Gruel - finest fried elf in the land

Buy an iron pot, melt it down, sell the iron for profit.

But a 10' ladder, break it into two 10' poles, sell them for profit.

No creature ever survives winter in D&D, they all die of exposure due to the way damage is dealt.

25. - Top - End - #25

The rules are written with the assumption that your DM is a person, not a computer, and will go upside your head for trying something stupid.

Item creation and metamagic feats are written into the rage description because you might have multiclassed.

26. - Top - End - #26

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OttotheBugbear View Post
    Buy an iron pot, melt it down, sell the iron for profit.

But a 10' ladder, break it into two 10' poles, sell them for profit.

No creature ever survives winter in D&D, they all die of exposure due to the way damage is dealt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corolinth View Post
    The rules are written with the assumption that your DM is a person, not a computer, and will go upside your head for trying something stupid.
    Exactly. Any DM that lets you pull off the ladder = two 10-ft poles trick needs to read rule 0, and get some brains.

Quote Originally Posted by Corolinth View Post
    Item creation and metamagic feats are written into the rage description because you might have multiclassed.
    Yes, but the point is that item creation feats are mentioned, even though there's really no reason that you would craft an item while enraged (crunch-wise).

As I said before,

Quote Originally Posted by myself
    1) It generally takes much longer than the rage duration to craft something
    2) How many Barbarians take Item Creation feats anyway?
    3) Rage wouldn't help you at all (craft is an Int-based skill)

27. - Top - End - #27

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Nope. Most creatures are proficient with their Natural Weapons (and therefore Unarmed Strikes, if they are monks and therefore their unarmed strike counts as a natural weapon in some ways), as a function of their Type. But Humanoids are the exception.

The only creatures proficient in their own unarmed strikes are those whose classes say they are proficient in all simple weapons.
    In fact yes, and only humanoids with classes aren't proficient - humanoids without classes are proficient in simple weapons. Silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

The so-called fact that monks supposedly aren't proficient with the unarmed strike is a complete load of bilgewater. While there isn't much that can match up to the infinite-horses/travel-around-the-world-as-a-free-action rubbish, this one is pretty close.

29. - Top - End - #29

Humans are not humanoids. In fact, they don't even have a type. Therefore, they do not need to eat, sleep, or drink, and are also immune to effects that only target certain types.

Thank you fictional powergaming webcomic characters!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

What? They're Humanoid (Human).