New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default If you were a god...

I'm playing in an epic campaign and our ultimate goal, so I've been told, is godhood. Our DM wants us to come up with profiles for the gods we aspire to be. My only requirements for said profile thus far is that they be lawful good and battle oriented.

I'm just looking for some suggestions or just interesting ideas.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: If you were a god...

Weapon orient it, and have the priests use the weapon as part of thier everyday life.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Be the god of pre-battle monologues. (Though I'm not sure that should belong to a lawful good god, what with the abundance of monologuing BBEGs.)

Alternatively, pick a bunch of really, really narrow focuses for your portfolio:

(Your god here), Lawful Good
    Portfolio: Fire arrows, Mithril axes, Death from above, Reckless charges (only reckless ones), Spinning side kicks to the face.

For a more serious suggestion... how about the god of clever fighting? Your weapon could be a disarm/trip weapon (I like the idea of having it be the whip--then your clerics could wear cowboy hats and sing hymns to the tune of Indiana Jones, while still kicking ass.)
    Last edited by ClericofPhwarrr; 2007-05-21 at 06:25 PM.
    Veryn's Sliver, by Talfrey:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Indiana Jones is slightly unlawful if you ask me. He's honorable and he does what is right, but I think his methods are a bit less than lawful from time to time.

As for the deity situation, I would consider your ideal cleric or druid. Just think about the coolest cleric you can, then what kind of god would that cleric have. What kind of Domain spells would be instituted. Then, become that god. Then, for the rest of your time with that DM, make Clerics that worship your previous character.

hehe, I didn't mean to take that in such an exploitative direction initially. So it goes.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Unfortunately for me, my coolest god portfolio is most certainly not lawful good.

I'm slightly more sneaky and underhanded. OK, I'm considerably more sneaky and underhanded.

Silly lawful good people. What's so great about law or good?

Though I did proffer the idea of the god of small blue furry creatures from Alpha Centari my DM subsequently shot it down and suggested I go think about it some more.

As for my personal choice, I might just worship ClericofPhwarrr.
    Last edited by lillitheris; 2007-05-21 at 06:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

The pantheon is overflowing with lawful good battle-oriented gods.

Shiny-Light All-Smiter, Lawful Good
    Portfolio: Blinding evil with shiny holy light, shiny armor, the special ability smite evil, shiny swords, punching evil things very hard.
    Shiny-Light is the god of hitting evil things until they die. Though it would be efficient, Shiny-Light never hits evil in the groin, because he is too honorable for that. Hiding from things, waiting for reinforcements, and attacking enemies before they are prepared are also dishonorable acts that will cause clerics of Shiny-Light to lose their clerical powers. Shiny is exactly like Stabby McAxeforface, except with the opposite alignment.
    Worshippers: paladins
    Favored weapon: shiny sword of smiting
    Battlecry: Leeeeroy... JENKINS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Yeah, I know. That's actually what I came up with. Not everyone needs to be Pelor or wants to be Palor.

Frankly, if I had my druthers I'd rather be Loki. But that's just me.

However, I have to have a lawful good fancy-pants. Which is why I need help from people who might not have an unnatural rogue-type affection like I do.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I second the call for you to worship ClericofPhwarrr
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Stabby McAxeforface? Sounds like the best god to ever exist, ever.

If I had to pick a God, I think I'd go with the God of Lawful Hypocrisy. A whole clergy of people like OOTS's Miho, who don't see any problem with committing atrocities, as long as it's against evil.

Also, my spell list would not include Detect Evil.

Battlecry: "Burn their village to the ground! For justice!"
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Seffbasilisk View Post
    Weapon orient it, and have the priests use the weapon as part of thier everyday life.
    Hammerites?

11. - Top - End - #11

Hmm, initially I had no ideas, but ocato's post about finding the best domains has given me some ideas. After some quick searching, it's my personal opinion that the following are pretty good domains (some are better than others):

Core:
    Travel
    Luck
    Strength

Spell Compendium:
    Time
    Preparation
    Celerity
    Mind
    Mentalism

There are other good domains, like Trickery, but I'm not sure they fit in well conceptually with a lawful good warrior type. Anyway, looking at these domains, I was reminded of the time monks from Terry Pratchett's Discworld, who use their minds to alter their perception of time.

So for portfolio ideas, perhaps:

-Strategy, Warrior's Focus. The mental state for being ready for combat and anticipating your opponent, as well as thinking of the best way to take him down. I'm not sure what exactly you'd call it, but being ready for anything in the chaos of battle (Preparation domain, Mind domain, Knowledge domain).
    -Speed. Victory goes to the swift, and being able to alter your perception of time gives warriors a definitive edge in combat. (Time, Celerity, Mind, Mentalism domains)
    -Probability. There' always the unpredictable nature of combat, and your warrior philosophy embraces this. Warriors know the risks, and don't let things like chance or Fate worry them. (Luck Domain)
    -Power. Power is important in battle, no disputes here. (Strength Domain)
    -The search for new trials, the desire to constantly test one's resolve and become stronger through adversity. (Travel Domain. Didn't think I could get this one in, did ya? )

So what do we have out of this? We have a god for heroes, that's what! You're lawful good, the stuff of a true hero (or so I'm told). Upright, virtuous, and always willing to lend a hand in need. Also, it's implicit from your domains that your followers are wandering warriors, who travel constantly both to give protection where it's needed, but also to keep themselves alert and their skills sharp. And there's a code of discipline intertwined in all of this to stop them from abusing their powers, and to make them stronger still. Think wandering samurai types here, who usually travel alone to test their skills wherever they go.

Your followers may not be a large number, but they will be focused and devoted, worth more than a hundred ordinary men in battle each. They'd be honorable people, who'd usually try to get into single combat and duels whenever possible, but who could work as a team to devastating effect, especially with their advanced knowledge of tactics. They'd also be confident, and probably somewhat gung-ho due their embracing of Fate.

So the portfolios in my mind, at least, go together to form a kind of god modeled after the kind of warrior you see in old samurai films. If you like this concept, but your DM needs selling on it, show him a bunch of Toshiro Mifune films as a way of introducing the ideas.

I'm assuming this is the same guy as in your other thread, the Warblade right? Flavor wise, these portfolios probably mesh really well with the Diamond Mind discipline, for what it's worth.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by lillitheris View Post
    As for my personal choice, I might just worship ClericofPhwarrr.
    If that's the case, just remember that I'm the god of vengeance. And horror. And action.
    Veryn's Sliver, by Talfrey:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dyslexicfaser View Post
    You win. You just win.
    After some x length of time, the charge in the capacitor went down to 0.1e-17[mV]. After writing the answer on the board, my professor turned to the class, pointed at it, and said "What's this number?" We said "That's one times ten to the negative 18 millivolts" when he interupted us and said "Wrong! The answer is zero. If you can't accept that 0.1e-17[mV] is equal to zero, you need to change your major to math right now, or you will hate the rest of your career."

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by dyslexicfaser View Post
    Stabby McAxeforface? Sounds like the best god to ever exist, ever.

If I had to pick a God, I think I'd go with the God of Lawful Hypocrisy. A whole clergy of people like OOTS's Miho, who don't see any problem with committing atrocities, as long as it's against evil.

Also, my spell list would not include Detect Evil.

I love it. Now would that god be Lawful Neutral? Or would they step over into Evil? Personally I'd say Neutral, thereby allowing worshipers of either Good or evil alignment.

I think it would be nice to give one of their domains the at-will ability to Detect "Foe." That wouldn't be based on alignment at all, but would have to do with declared Enemies of the Church, which could either be designated by the character, or drawn from a lengthy "divine hate list."

These guys would walk into the tavern, Detect Foe, and bash anybody in there that pings. Sure, they kill the evil demon-worshiping cleric, but Joe over there just stole from the poorbox when he was 17...
    "'To know, to do, and to keep silent.' Crowley had the first two down pat."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

That would be hilariously awesome and awesomely hilarious.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, task mage

STFUitP

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

This is the Deity I want to be.

Levakross, King of Fiends
    Levakross is the little known of lord of all evil outsiders, most dominantly those of the abyss and the nine hells. He appears as a tall thin man in black robes and light metal armor with long luxurious brown hair tied back with sinister cold eyes of the same color. His face is handsome and pale but never shows emotion, even in the most dire or stupendous accasions. He is never without his unholy longsword in his belt or on his back. He also sports a small goatee, a thin pointed tail and small curved horns on the top of his head curving backwards. His diabolic nature is also very subtle, it is said that he's had a hand at every major event in the nine hells and abyss for millenia, the rise of Asmodeus, the fall of the erinyes and indirectly, the blood war. But for many centuries he was in exile, cast out of the realms by the other gods for slaying his beloved Naphia. For these many centuries he stewed in guilt and loathing at all those who betrayed him. Until recently he rose back to power and back to his throne in the hidden fortress of Ghaa'rhuul in his doman of Levenkradd. Levakross' holy symbol is a curved dark brown horn on a blood-red background.
    His temples are always hidden fortresses of sinster beauty, most often hidden in dark forests or in the middle of a forboding desert and his clerics wear dark red robes and incrruicuit and beautiful armor looking to be of hellish craft.
    Clerics of Levakross often lack noticable emotion and sport long hair and short clean facial hair(if male) and always carry a wicked looking longsword in their belts or on their backs. Levakross is nuetral evil and clerics of levakross have acess to the Evil, War, Diabolic* and Demonic* Domains. His favored weapon is the longsword. His Heralds are erinyes and many other fiends, aswell as many fiendish orcs and his prize herald is a half angel/half demon 20th level fighter named Nigh.

*Diabolic and Demonic domans from the Book of Vile Darkness
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    *snip*
    His temples are always hidden fortresses of sinster beauty, most often hidden in dark forests or in the middle of a forboding desert and his clerics wear dark red robes and incrruicuit and beautiful armor looking to be of hellish craft.
    *snip*
    what is incrruicuit?
    "'To know, to do, and to keep silent.' Crowley had the first two down pat."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

I think it's a typo of intricate.

19. - Top - End - #19

It occured to me that, instead of going the Stereotypical Lawful Good route, another option would be to try to find a way to mesh the sneaky, roguish approach that you enjoy with the Lawful Good alignment.

I started trying to think of ways of merging "sneaky and underhanded" with Lawful Good and martial, and I came up with the Goddess of Overprotective Mothers. Spy on the kids (to make sure they stay out of trouble) and bash anyone who looks at 'em funny. And then make sure they brush their teeth.

That's a somewhat comical take on the subject, but the Protection and Knowledge domains (or something of a similar flavor in the non-core supplements, with which others are more familiar than I am) and some Sneak Attack with a Merciful weapon would be right in line with the expressed concepts, I think. The God of Guardians?
    Spoiler
    Show

Zöe Althira in When On Olympus
    Ratri Aeval in Double Major
    Mercedes Swift, Scion of Hermes, in ???
    Haiiro Mariko in The Scarlet Shadow
    Kris "Krash" Ashton in Colony
    Karen Mallory in Changing Breeds

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Gods:

Stabbity McAxeforface,
    Alignment: evil, chaotic
    Domains: fear, chaos, destruction
    Portfolio: fear: death, destruction, stabbing things until they die, headbunting
    Weapon: Mithral helmet shaped like an axe, used for head bunt smite attempts.
    Granted power: fear as a spell like ability, 3/day. unarmed strike (head bunt only) as a bonus feat at 1st level.

Heally McNiceNice
    Aligment: lawful good
    Domains: good, healing, protection
    Portfolio: healing, being nice, making nice
    Weapon: Heally McNiceNice doesn’t believe in using weapons
    Granted power: healing spells are treated as being +1 caster level. charm person as a spell like ability 3/day

Apathy Von Doesn’tcare
    Alignment: true neutral
    Domains: any 2, apathy doesn't care enough to pick his domains
    Portfolio: apathy, neutrality, not giving a damn, indecisiveness
    Weapon: any 1 weapon, Apathy doesn’t care enough to pick one
    Granted power: Priests of Apathy receive 1 XP/level every hour they spend doing nothing at all.

Note: Apathy doesn’t care enough to choose a gender, which has caused a rift in the church of Apathy. One faction believes apathy to be male, another side female but the third side (and the true side) doesn’t care.

edit
    edit to fix some stuff on apathy's domains and granted powers... not that i care.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2007-05-23 at 02:34 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    Gods:
    Apathy Von Doesn’tcare
    Alignment: true neutral
    Domains: any
    Portfolio: apathy, neutrality, not giving a damn, indecisiveness
    Weapon: any 1 weapon, Apathy doesn’t care enough to pick one
    Granted power: Priests of Apathy receive 1 XP/level every hour they spend doing nothing at all.

Note: Apathy doesn’t care enough to choose a gender, which has caused a rift in the church of Apathy. One faction believes apathy to be male, another side female but the third side (and the true side) doesn’t care.
    Think this way is better.
    Last edited by Draken; 2007-05-21 at 08:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Think this way is better.
    HAahah, perfect

23. - Top - End - #23

RedSorcererGirl

Lightbulb Re: If you were a god...

My current character is a lawful good Evoker Wizard who focuses on item crafting. As a battle deity, he would be the god of siege warfare, using tactical strategy and powerful items (e.g. catapults, alchemists fire, magic) to rain destruction upon evil. Here's his portfolio:

Alignment: lawful good
    Domains: knowledge, magic, fire, law, good
    Weapon: Heavy Crossbow
    Granted power: Gain proficiency with Heavy Crossbow. Gain Rapid Reload (Heavy Crossbow) as a bonus feat.
    Last edited by Cruiser1; 2007-05-21 at 08:51 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Head bunting? Is that, like... tying festive streamers to your head?
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Stabbity McAxeforface does not do festive streamers. You shall die via axe helmed head butt!
    head butts dyslexicfaser

Last edited by TheThan; 2007-05-21 at 09:13 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    Stabbity McAxeforface does not do festive streamers. You shall die via axe helmed head butt!
    head butts dyslexicfaser

He might do festive streamers of intestines or something...
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

27. - Top - End - #27

Argh! My precious intestines!

I need those for living!

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

If I were a god?

I would be "The Mighty MC" with the favored weapon Hammer. Just to mix it up I would be god of War, Destruction, and... Pants?
    TopSecret's First Ever Two Page Tabletop Contest
    If you have any questions, want to talk about the contest entries, or you just want to hang out with cool people, visit our forums.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DnDestruction View Post
    If I were a god?

I would be "The Mighty MC" with the favored weapon Hammer. Just to mix it up I would be god of War, Destruction, and... Pants?
    You mean war destruction puffy pants, dancing and "bustin' out"

30. - Top - End - #30

i would say to be the god of not dieing or sucking in battle

eg nonucus suckekess
    profile living , surving winning
    worshipers anyone who wants to live in battle