New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moon Base

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Moon Base

How would a wizard set up some sort of base on the Moon? what level would he have to be and what sorts of spells could one use for construction and space travel? I'm imagining a lot of constructs, bigby hands, and wall of force spells, but what else could be used?
    --------------------------
    Marten, make a wiggle check
    {[[[(((o((EE[\\
    =================

Gold contributer to the Avatar Project
    Firebender avatar by Shades of Gray

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Moon Base

i don't think you could.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Just cast Genesis.

It's easier.

Otherwise;

You'd need a spell to let you live without breathing. Or maybe 100 odd of that Ioun Stone.

Teleporting onto the Moon is the safest bet. If you don't have the range then you could fly really high up first.

Wall of Stone is the best way to build a base really quickly.

Before you go make sure you'll be able to build a portal between the planet and the moon.

Then use the portal to transport air into your new base.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Hire a Dwarven Cleric with the Earth Domain. Get him to the moon and have him cast Elemental Swarm to summon a ton of Earth Elementals to move stone/earth while he follows up with wall of Stone. In just a few rounds your base is constructed. ( I did this in a game once when I was the Dwarven Dirt Cleric, I constructed a massive subterranian base in just a day.)

As for air...well you might have to go find some 2nd ed Starjammer books for ways to keep air in space. Or form a permanent dome of force around your base and open a permanent gate to the elemental plane of air inside it.
    Got Gouda?

-Ninja of the Crescent Cheese

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

You're very likely going to need a decanter of endless air (I got nothing for book citation, sorry). It generates air, uh, endlessly, when the stopper is removed.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

A necklace of adaption specifically says it allows you to breath in a vacuum. That's the easy part.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

22 Steps - 13th to 17th level (depending on which options you choose).

1) Necklace of adaptation to let him breathe up there.
    2) Greater Teleport (or possibly some sort of divination followed by a regular Teleport) to get him there.
    3)Wall of Stone repeatedly to put a dome over a crater.
    3a) Alternatively, for the stealth base, Disintegrate a hole in the ground, sit in it, Wall of Stone. Expand slowly with further Disintegrates. Can also work with Transmute Rock to Mud, Move Earth and Dispel Magic.
    4) Install Bottle of Air.
    5) Use Summon Monster IV to summon a Lantern Archon and dot the inside of the dome with Continual Flames.
    6) If allowed, craft an item of x/day Permanency.
    7) Put a Permanent Wall of Fire in an out-of-the-way corner to provide some heat.
    8) Cover the inside of the dome with a Permanent Mordekainen's Private Sanctum, or multiple overlapping MPSs if necessary.
    9) Reinforce the stone work with Permanent Walls of Force. Unfortunately Wall of Force won't do floors or ceilings. Either research (and homebrew) an new spell or try to convince the GM that Sculpt Spell should do it. Arguments based on Einstein's Theory of Relativity may also work, depending on the GM.
    Leave one gap in your Walls (See points 10 & 13).
    9-1/2) Optionally demolish some stonework now for some nice views. Not advised for a stealthy base; just leave large alcoves which you can cast Hallucinatory Terrain in, to simulate rolling countryside beyond.
    10) Embed a Wall of Iron in the stone walls above the gap.
    11) Cover the dome in Permanent Symbol spells, set to go off when some one uncovers them, or on various triggers related to breaching the dome.
    12) Cover the Symbols with another layer of Stone, for safety.
    13) Put a Permanent Phase Door through the gap. Add Leomund's Phantom Trap for the hell of it.
    14) Use Disintegrate to tunnel a deep pit below your dome.
    15) Get a friendly (or bribable) cleric to cover the inside of the dome with Forbiddance. Be sure to have the material components on hand.
    16) Optionally, create Permanent Teleportation Circle's between the outside of your base and somewhere planetside you like.
    17) Put a Permanent Prismatic Sphere at the bottom of the pit. If 9th level is too high, try an item the casts Disintegrate 1/day.
    18) Add internal walls, stairs, etc. Add more lighting as necessary. Include a large water tank near the top.
    19) Unless you have ranks in Craft(Plumbing) pay - or possibly Charm- someone to come in to do that for you. Water comes from the tank and goes to the pit. Include overflows.
    20) Optionally, use Permanent Prismatic Walls to box in an area you don't want guests and/or servants to wander into, like a private study or a shrine to your favourite country and western singer.
    21) Install a Decanter of Endless Water in the water tank and a Cabinet of Heroes Feasting in the dining room.
    22) Decorate and furnish to suit your whim. Illusory Wall makes a novel replacement for doors and screens.
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

yeah but space is negative some odd hundred degrees, you'd freeze unless you were protected. plus the moon is hundreds of thousands of miles away, i think that's outta range of teleport.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by the_tick_rules View Post
    yeah but space is negative some odd hundred degrees, you'd freeze unless you were protected. plus the moon is hundreds of thousands of miles away, i think that's outta range of teleport.
    Greater teleport has no range.

Throw in an item enchanted with endure cold until you get your permanant wall of fire set up.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by the_tick_rules View Post
    Uhm... magic?

Come on, elemental resistance spells are some of the lowest level ones.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know of any divination spell which is really a sure thing to get a detailed description of a location on the moon necessary for greater teleport. In epic getting to the moon is easy though, just have someone with distant shot throw you there.
    Last edited by PinkysBrain; 2007-05-22 at 12:30 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by PinkysBrain View Post
    I don't know of any divination spell which is really a sure thing to get a detailed description of a location on the moon necessary for greater teleport. In epic getting to the moon is easy though, just have someone with distant shot throw you there.
    Just get a telescope. Even if they don't have the glass-making technology to make a decent enough lens you can create one with Greater Creation.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

The skill check DC necessary to get a good enough lens is up to the DM. Also if you wanted to get down to a resolution of a meter or so it would have to be pretty damn huge. Getting the resolution necessary to say recognize the moon lander on the surface of the moon isn't something you can do with any old telescope either.
    Last edited by PinkysBrain; 2007-05-22 at 12:43 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Legend Lore or Vision could get you a detailed enough description of the location on the moon if need be.

Also... if you can actually see a location, I think that's a good enough description to utilize a greater teleport, and anyone can see the moon just by looking up.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Legend lore does not give you pictures, there needs to be something legendary about a location to get information about it ... because legends is what you get.

A moon sized chunk of rock is a valid but rather broad interpretation of the term "place". It's not one I would use in this context.
    Last edited by PinkysBrain; 2007-05-22 at 12:49 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Getting to the moon is easy.

Wait for a full moon and then just look up. If you can see it you can port to it with greater teleport.

And even if it takes a few ports to zero in on the exact spot on the moon you want, it's not that hard.

And as was said above, its fairly easy to make the base.

17. - Top - End - #17

You could teleport onto the moon rather easily. Choosing where on the moon would be harder but just getting up there is quite easy. Once your there you can walk to the right place for your base and then you'll be familiar enough with it to teleport whenever you want. Or you can just set up a portal.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Wait for a full moon and then just look up. If you can see it you can port to it with greater teleport.
    Why stick to traveling to the moon? Just greater teleport somewhere close to another star, be careful that you select a spot far enough removed not to get burned, repeat till you are in planetary orbit. Finding planets would take a long long time, but a warforged wizard has all the time in the world.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

well with so much effort needed to get there, create and maintain a base there, survive there, travel to and from and everything else necessary it'd be so much easier to go somewhere else, but i suppose with enough invested in it you could do it.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

What's with all of this technical stuff? The moon is a Wizard's natural habitat. It's made of cheese.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by PinkysBrain View Post
    Why stick to traveling to the moon? Just greater teleport somewhere close to another star, be careful that you select a spot far enough removed not to get burned, repeat till you are in planetary orbit. Finding planets would take a long long time, but a warforged wizard has all the time in the world.
    See my next game on these boards. Recruitment opens June 1st.

I made an entire setting that I am play testing and the main empire is made up of over 100,000 worlds. Travel is done like that. Greater teleport Warp engines. It takes time to zero in but it is incredibly fast.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

See my next game on these boards. Recruitment opens June 1st.

I made an entire setting that I am play testing and the main empire is made up of over 100,000 worlds. Travel is done like that. Greater teleport Warp engines. It takes time to zero in but it is incredibly fast.
    Is it a modified Spelljammers or something?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

For added security, make a wall out of permanent Phase Doors which trigger for anyone but you, then enchant them to look like an extra room in the lair. Fighter walks through; ejected into space!

24. - Top - End - #24

I've never read spell jammer.

So no.

It is me taking a bunch of different things from a bunch of different Sci-Fi and fantasy books, movies, video games and RPGs for inspiration. Some things (and a few names) are just lifted straight from books because it solved story balance issues quite nicely.

I took the D&D rules for magic and applied them in a logical manner to a real society.

The empires government is largely based on that of the Tsurani from Raymond E. Feist's books. The millitary has a lot of stuff grabbed from Sci-Fi.

I used Star Wars as the basis for what an empire made up of trillions of people and hundreds of thousands of solar systems would look like.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

I've never read spell jammer.

So no.

It is me taking a bunch of different things from a bunch of different Sci-Fi and fantasy books, movies, video games and RPGs for inspiration. Some things (and a few names) are just lifted straight from books because it solved story balance issues quite nicely.

I took the D&D rules for magic and applied them in a logical manner to a real society.

The empires government is largely based on that of the Tsurani from Raymond E. Feist's books. The millitary has a lot of stuff grabbed from Sci-Fi.

I used Star Wars as the basis for what an empire made up of trillions of people and hundreds of thousands of solar systems would look like.
    Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. Where can I read more about it?

26. - Top - End - #26

I haven't posted the recruitment thread yet. It will go up June first and we will start July first in all likelihood. The only one guaranteed a place in the game is Jack Mann and he is playing the party wizard. I'm allowing a cleric as well but that will be the extent of the full casters in the party. ToB is allowed. And so are some of the half caster's are stuff like the warlock.

I have about 2 dozen worlds fully done up, the entire social structure of the empire, 1 other empire, and a rebellion done. I also knwo generally how the story is going to go.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Depends on if the moon IG is like the moon IRL or if it has an atmosphere/plant/animal life like Endor or something.

Teaching ewoks to cast fireball would be fun.

28. - Top - End - #28

Thanks a lot, guys! convincing the DM of anything shouldn't be a problem, its me. I was just trying to figure out a way to make a feasable moon base for my players' enemy. this is all very helpful!
    --------------------------
    Marten, make a wiggle check
    {[[[(((o((EE[\\
    =================

Gold contributer to the Avatar Project
    Firebender avatar by Shades of Gray

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can't you just use wish to allow you to survive in vacuum?

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    What's with all of this technical stuff? The moon is a Wizard's natural habitat. It's made of cheese.
    It's true.
    Veryn's Sliver, by Talfrey:
    Spoiler
    Show