New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Warlocks, they only want to be loved.

I am getting really tired of hearing people claiming that warlocks are under powered and useless.

I officially declare the debate of the century, a competition between the warlock faithfull, and those who would dare mock their powers,

Open!!!!!!!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Warlocks, they only want to be loved.

I've wanted to play a warlock ever since I got Complete Arcane, but every time I start to make one, I also make backup characters so I can choose my favorite. The limited number of Invocations known is a hindrance. As well as the very small list to choose from.

That's why I don't play them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    Like holding your palm to your temple and blasting your brains out with magical force.
    Congratulations, you just conjured up the greatest mental image ever.

Spoiler
    Show

My Not So Humble [Villain]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Comparison of a warlock to a wizard of comparable level:

1st level to 4th level: advantage: Warlock. Unlimited d6s is far better than what a 1st to 4th level wizard can do.

5th level and beyond: advantage: Wizard. More spells to choose from, better damage, and things to do that aren't damage.

4. - Top - End - #4

Warlocks are definately worth playing.

the invocations known can be annoying, but after all, they aren't casters. Their lack of versatility early on in the game is made up for with infinite casting you get. A first level wizard will run out of spells per day and hide in a corner, while the warlock keeps on going.

sorry, posted too slowly. It's true, the wizard can definately do better at high levels, but then again, the fun of the warlock class isn't the range of abilities, it's the way you mix and match them.

eg 20ft blast of demonic fury + minus 2 levels to all enemies hit = Fun
    Last edited by Vuzzmop; 2007-05-23 at 10:57 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's mostly a question of what they can do for a party in a given round. They're good at surviving, but they're not great for a lot else. Their damage output, round for round, just doesn't amount to much, touch attack or no. Their invocations aren't generally powerful enough to help, even if they are all day long.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Warlocks are kinda weak. But I still love them.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

7. - Top - End - #7

Warlocks are good for almost all play styles as well.

infinite "charm person" and rediculously high Charisma is good for diplomatic games (especially without a bard or beguiler in the group), while in kick in the door style games the choice of damaging and self buffing abilities is good for a persistently useful back up blaster character. After all, they are aren't meant to be primary casters, and they're definately not meant for melee, so they easily fit in backup roles.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Warlocks are weak, except in the Worlds Largest Dungeon (Which is where their infinite use can be used to the full degree)

Warlocks are weak for a number of reasons, but mostly due to their damage output. It is much less then any other archer. The "balance" of infinite uses only comes into play when you have more then 5 or 6 encounters in a day.

9. - Top - End - #9

True.

However, no other class can match it for shear fun of playing it. I myself have become prone to yelling "Kamehameha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! quite frequently.

Although I suppose that might just be a sign of insanity.
    Last edited by Vuzzmop; 2007-05-23 at 11:18 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

i planned to say something, but i've grown so weary about these debates about why anyone who isn't a wizard stinks that these threads bore me.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I love my evil warlock. She gets to take the high ground, blow off the rest of the party (except the healer), and keep as far away from the swords/talons/claws/teeth/death touch/nose of whatever they're fighting. Archers are a pain, but she can actually run up and melee with them to an extent.

Technical stuff aside, I just like her because of the character. No other class would suit her, really, and that's just what she was built to be. Though, in my opinion, it doesn't matter how "powerful" a class is. It's going to have weak points, but it all depends on what weaknesses you're willing to deal with. I guess with my warlock baby, I'm just willing to deal with the lack of variety and classics like Magic Missle and Fireball.

Besides, I don't think I've found a class yet that someone hasn't claimed was either weak or overpowered. Warlocks just happen to be debated more often than others. Yay Warlock love!
    Because bad guys who love their mothers should be respected.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Warlocks are not underpowered, they are underpowered in comparison to wizards. You can be a good deal less powerful then a wizard and still be useful. People still play rangers and paladins, and neither class is especially powerful.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

13. - Top - End - #13

It's like people are playing for character interest and story involvement rather than sheer damage output/combat effectiveness or something....

Last edited by Erk; 2007-05-24 at 01:00 AM.
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.

14. - Top - End - #14

Are warlocks horridly gimped? Hardly. After all, they're still somewhat like a caster. There are even some "nasty optimization tricks" that depend on warlock abilities. But of course a wizard is better.

The reason the "weakness" of the warlock tends to get overstated is that there are a seemingly neverending number of people whose first reaction is that the class is ridiculously overpowered. Which it isn't.
    "'To know, to do, and to keep silent.' Crowley had the first two down pat."

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    Warlocks are not underpowered, they are underpowered in comparison to wizards. You can be a good deal less powerful then a wizard and still be useful. People still play rangers and paladins, and neither class is especially powerful.
    But the warlock is also underpowered compared to a ranger or a paladin.
    Spoiler
    Show

Owl-atar by KingGolem

16. - Top - End - #16

the warlock is not a caster!

Pretty much every class has been debated over, but everyone has to understand that you cannot compare the warlock to a full caster like the wizard or druid. It could be justified to compare it to other backup type classes like the bard or rogue.

17. - Top - End - #17

See, that's the thing. We're not comparing the warlock to the full casters. We know that's not their role. We're just looking at what they can do for a party. And it isn't as much as a rogue, say, or a ranger. Their greatest contribution is probably imbue item, and that doesn't kick in until level 12.
    Spoiler
    Show

Owl-atar by KingGolem

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

They aren't spectacular, usually, but they're useful. They provide a steady ranged damage output, and invocations can get you effects that are useful to a party. At low levels, they can render enemies shaken or sickened, as well as shatter weapons and obstacles. At higher levels, they can charm, curse, dispel, act as a scout with mobility/stealth invocations, create walls of fire, and debilitate enemies.

A warlock with an eye towards tactics and utility can be a useful party member. And that's without Use Magic Device, either. They're not all that powerful, but they're playable... and fun to play, at that. I've always loved at-will abilities.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

19. - Top - End - #19

I'd say that the only well-defined party roles are "tank", "healer", "versatile caster", and "skillmonkey", and nearly anything that doesn't fit into one of those is going to be a bit hazy in its party role. Doesn't mean it's useless. I haven't looked at them closely but Warlocks always seemed basically like a fun kind of archer, using elemental damage instead of arrows. And if you want to play a spell-free blaster, that is just plain great.

Diss blasters as you will and tell me to ban evocation: it's not going to change that shooting fireballs is fun.
    Last edited by Erk; 2007-05-24 at 04:28 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

See, the problem is that most combats don't last very long, so the ability to do damage over a long period of time isn't useful to a party. It's good if you're solo, and can use your invisibility and flight to keep them from hitting you, but it doesn't work well in a party situation. The round-to-round damage a warlock does is absolutely negligible compared to what a good archer can do. Some of the invocations are kind of nifty (especially the newer ones), but they're often too situational or too weak to really serve the party better than another rogue, say.
    Spoiler
    Show

Owl-atar by KingGolem

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Warlocks are a great class for a 1 person party. Hard to kill, can have social skills, have mobility and can go on forever. They just don't play well with others, at least not until they get Chilling Tentacles/Perilous Flame.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Warlocks are crappy casters. They're a Sorcerer stuck in Blaster mode with a handful of utilities. If you're looking to compare a warlock to Wizard/Sorc/CoDzilla, forget about it.

Warlocks are good archers, however. Free (1/2 level)d6 every round shapable in a number of ways isn't bad, and since they can't full-attack it anyways, Warlocks make awesome moving artillery. Especially since they get stuff like Fly for free. They can also double as a rather specialized skill monkey if they take the right incantations. Stuff like DR is mostly fluff, but useful fluff.

But perhaps their biggest boon is their godly ability with magic items- both using them and making them. Sure, my Warlock blasted and fulfilled a bit of stealthy sneak, but when he had to get serious, it wasn't my elderich blast or my incantations, but my wands and such that get pulled out- I took a number of the wand combat feats, and they paid off big time- Warlocks dual-wielding wands is a lot of fun.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by LordLocke View Post
    dual-wielding wands is a lot of fun.
    PPPPLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSSSE tell me you named your wands Hurt and Burn?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

I really like Warlocks, mostly for the variety of character concepts that it opened that were not previously available. As a class, it's abilities can be flavoured in many more ways than the caster classes, yet it retains a mystical kind of flavour that fits a lot of characters that "casting" doesn't.

Even with the really very limited number of Invocations available from Complete Arcane (I don't own Comp Mage), I've managed to create several distinctly different characters, each with it's own very unique concept/background using only the Warlock class. Given more Invocations, I'm sure that I could make even more, with the only similarity being the mechanical rules used for the class. O.k. so the same can be said for pretty much all the classes, but unlike the Wizard or Fighter or any other class, the Warlock doesn't really have a stereotype (IMO) to live up to (the mighty Wizard, the Full-Plate Fighter, the Sneaky Rogue-Adventurer, etc.), which means that you have a little more room for your own imagination when it comes to characters with the Warlock class.

That's how I see it anyway and that's the primary reason that I like the class (the secondary reason is that I've never been happy with spells/day and the Warlock is how I view what a "caster" should be..just my opinion though).
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

In the 3.0/3.5-hybrid campaign I'm playing in, warlocks can have a serious damage output. At lvl 6:

"Mortalbane, maximized, empowered eldritch chain frightful blast, followed by a mortalbane, maximized, empowered, quickened eldritch chain frightful blast, sucka!"
    That's 270 damage to be distributed between 2-4 opponents with added fear-effects at lvl 6 :D
    However, he can only do this once per day, so it takes some of the fun away. Can really make you feel like emperor Palpatine for a few seconds, though :)

Baleful Utterance is also very powerful. I mean, come on. Shatter at will?! With deafness and dazing included? BAM! There goes your weapon! BAM! Your shield! It's totally overpowered fun :)

Unlimited charm is also, as mentioned, very powerful. Especially in any campaign which isn't a dungeon-crawl.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You have... 4 feats at level six, all of which you used on metamigic spelllike abilities, some of which are illegal as your CL is too low?

Cos you're using an effective 8'th level spell like ability there... And you need CL 16 to do that with spell like changes. Your effective caster level is 6.

27. - Top - End - #27

My buddy is about to start a monster game and took one look at my evil pixie warlock, shook his head, announced that she would be the most annoying character ever, and that she would have to die. Something about 8d6 a round, forever, with improved invisibility at will, while flying, and using a ranged touch attack from about 250 feet away.

Let the giant slog it out with the fighters down there, I'll take the bolt from the blue approach.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vampire Ninja Death Squirrel by Jacklu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    Frankly, we're a bunch of nerds here, and we like to argue.
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger
    Grishak, Blue Psion Nomad
    Otheym, Warforged Ashworm Dragoon

28. - Top - End - #28

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    You have... 4 feats at level six, all of which you used on metamigic spelllike abilities, some of which are illegal as your CL is too low?

Cos you're using an effective 8'th level spell like ability there... And you need CL 16 to do that with spell like changes. Your effective caster level is 6.

I think he is using sudden metamagic (if you can use those with spell like abilities).
    Johannes factotum of the Bard Defense League

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one."

The main question that any DM should ask before making a house-rule or exception is, "Is it balanced?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

The list of invocations is pretty large. The amount you're allowed to select is small.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    The list of invocations is pretty large. The amount you're allowed to select is small.
    the list of invocations that are usefull (specifically usefull often or in more than one situation) is also small. as the warlock usually takes about 8 non-blasting invocations, they really need to be of jackknife like qulaity. Shatter, flight, invisiblity are well worth it, you can use them anywhere, anytime, but a darkness that surrounds you and is filled with bats or a 'sending' spell that damages you really don't come in handy very often. even the "stone fist" line of spells are pretty one trick and lackluster. If it isn't usefull in at least two or three uniquely differen situations, its shouldn't be on the list, and yet alot of them still are....
    Chaos is the friend of those who make no enemies and form no alliances.