New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default The Best Arcane Spells

Hey,

which are the best arcane spells? It surely depends on what you wanna do, but lets leave this kind of disscussion for later, lets talk about any type of arcane spell. Don't limit yourselves in the high levels! :)

Thanks.

PS.: if there is a similar thread, please point it out to me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Best Arcane Spells

Prestidigitation, Slow, Stinking Cloud, Cloudkill, Timestop, Glitterdust, Gate, Forcecage, Phantom Steed, Overland Flight.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

You will almost certainly be directed to TLN's guide to wizards at some point, might as well mention it now.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18500

EDIT: Hm, third isn't bad. I'm normally so far behind when I try to jump in answering this question.
    Last edited by Ditto; 2007-05-26 at 07:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Level 1 - Grease. So many uses.

Level 2 - Glitterdust. Blind enemies and stop them attacking you! Reveal invisible creatures! Stop enemies from hiding! Allow the rogue to sneak attack them! All this and it's No-SR, too.

Level 3 - Haste. Haste is awesome. You could be a wiz/sorcerer who cast nothing at all but Haste, and you'd still be worth your weight in gold to the party.

Level 4 - Charm Monster. Charm Person is great, but many enemies aren't humanoids, and the 1/hour duration can be an issue. Charm Monster fixes both these problems.

Level 5 - Baleful Polymorph. Because nothing's more fun than turning your enemy into a hamster or a chicken.

- Saph

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

So nobody else can say it.... Fireball

Face it have we met a wizard that doesn't know it. And blowing enemies away by the boat-load. That's the whole purpose of being a mage right there I think.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

The following two lists don't cover all possible spells, but are really, really good otherwise (note: both contain profanity, although some words are slightly masked):

Spells that Kill People

Utility Spells

Fireball is on the latter list, mostly because you can hit targets 600' away with it.
    Last edited by Jacob Orlove; 2007-05-26 at 07:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Sage View Post
    Fireball

Face it have we met a wizard that doesn't know it.
    Every wizard that I have ever played.
    Dub Club in the Playground
    I need a new signature.

9. - Top - End - #9

PirateGuy

Compared to what you could be doing with 3rd level spells, Fireball just seems kind of silly, dunnit?

And that's just in Core...
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

The greatest core 3rd level spell: Dispel Magic
    Close 2nd: Phantom Steed

Outside Core: Shivering Touch From frostburn

11. - Top - End - #11

Devil

silence cast with its center being the enemy caster...If you yourself keep your distance of 30 ft he can also be an annoyance to other casters especially at low levels.

Against a single enemy, antigravity or if you have a familiar transfer the concentration to it. Now you have effectively made useless a barbarian/fighter/rogue.

Polymorph the other into a human being with no legs or arms...you have now effectively made him useless without killing him...

mirage arcana or illusory terrain to make armies jump if cliffs.

sphere of invisibility and silence, now your party can get past the guards all together without rolling checks.

arcane sight- tell you who is a caster and who's not, see invisibilty, see what is a magic item and what it not, see magical auras to cast dispell or not

gate--position a gate to the fire plane horizontally over the city you want to destroy. Designate the position of the gate in the fire plane within a lava river. Wave goodbye to the town.

Fly-->Invisibility-->Flaming sphere and just guide it to whatever you want to set aflame without becoming visible...

Mirage arcana the gate of the castle that the enemy army is trying to take out of existence.

Arcane mark the symbol of nerrul on the cleric of pelor's back just to laugh at him...or inversely the symbol of pelor on the cleric of nerrul's back if you wanna kill him without actually doing anything...

Deser Binding from sandstorm, make you enemy into the sand of the desert and let him roam aimlessly for 1year per caster level or turn him into sand in an hourglass and keep him with you. He can speak and hear everything but can't do anything...so you can ask him anything you want and use his knowledge for 1 year/ caster level. When you're bored of him break the hourglass to kill him
    Last edited by kemmotar; 2007-05-26 at 09:04 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kemmotar View Post
    Polymorph the other into a human being with no legs or arms...you have now effectively made him useless without killing him...
    Baleful Polymorph (? You didn't specify which...) can do a lot of "save-or-suck" things, but surprisingly, this isn't one of them. Even if you go by Polymorph Other from 3.0 ed., you still only turn them into "an average member of the species". This is so you can't polymorph into a bodybuilder human with 18 STR, but it also means that you can't polymorph your enemies into a limbless fellow.
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

13. - Top - End - #13

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by kjones View Post
    with 3rd level spells, Fireball just seems kind of silly, dunnit?

Indeed fireball isn't the solution to everything but you easily destroy everything you need to. Fly at a high altitude and "air bomb" the enemy camp...alternatively stand at the top of a nearby hill/mountain overlooking the bombing site and kill everything that moves while they sleep. Have the rest of the party be around the camp so they can kill off the weakened enemies and you can dimension door closer when needed.

Also with multiple permanent symbols of death you can make the perfect trap for anything you wanna keep there...for example you phylactery...Jut cast them around the room with the phylactery in the middle. Set the "password" as anything touching that goes within 5 feet of the phylactery or the symbols or casting a spell will detonate them. Thus 150 damage per symbol going off at the same time and then recharging 10 minutes later. Just failing one or two of the saves can be fatal...imagine having ten of those in a single room...besides, looking for traps won't help since there are none...just make sure that they cannot be seen from outside the room.

14. - Top - End - #14

Devil

Baleful Polymorph (? You didn't specify which...) can do a lot of "save-or-suck" things, but surprisingly, this isn't one of them. Even if you go by Polymorph Other from 3.0 ed., you still only turn them into "an average member of the species". This is so you can't polymorph into a bodybuilder human with 18 STR, but it also means that you can't polymorph your enemies into a limbless fellow.
    Polymorph as per the 4th level spell. It doesn't specify what you can to turn the recipient into. It just says another form of living creature. A legless-armless human is another form of living creature...Alternatively you can make it permanent (by making it an armless-legless member of its own race) and then promise to polymorph them back (with a normal polymorph) and then laugh your way back when he goes back to being helpless after the normal polymorph wears off...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

For wizards (but not sorcerers), Fireball is a great spell. It's hard to make a wand of fireballs and then never, ever, memorize the spell again without knowing the spell in the first place. Wands of Fireball are great. Fireball only actually sucks when it takes up one of your spell slots.
    Last edited by Droodle; 2007-05-26 at 09:33 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

BarbarianGuy

Prestidigitation, Shivering Touch, Gate.

17. - Top - End - #17

Compared to what you could be doing with 3rd level spells, Fireball just seems kind of silly, dunnit?

I don't care for summons much as spells. The others are fine spells to have, but don't put enemies in the ground. Simple yet always useful, blasting for damage is something that can be used in any fight. As enemies level up they make saves, and Haste doesn't improve leveling up. Fireball levels up and only saves for half.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Fireball si worthless as anything but a utility spell.

When you need a distraction it is good, do to the long range.

But it is not something a sorcerer should ever take and wizards should rarely if ever prepare it (take it and scribe a few scrolls each level to up the CL)
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"Arcane" is kinda of a meaningless distinction, what matters it what class list a spell is on, not if it's arcane or divine.

That said I find the most useful sorc/wizard spells to be the mental control ones, primarly the charm, suggestion, and dominate series. A good charm spell can save you a lot of time and energy, and avoid many fights. A good suggestion or dominate spell can remove a foe and possibly create an ally (net bonus +2 for team good :P).
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Sage View Post
    I don't care for summons much as spells. The others are fine spells to have, but don't put enemies in the ground. Simple yet always useful, blasting for damage is something that can be used in any fight. As enemies level up they make saves, and Haste doesn't improve leveling up. Fireball levels up and only saves for half.
    Haste doesn't need to improve as it levels up, the things your hasting are leveling up. Haste is one of those spells that makes everyone better. Melee types can get in another swing with higher accuracy, Rogues can tumble into flanking positions etc. The amount of extra damage your allies can do with a haste spell overrides any damage a fireball can do. Combined with Fire being a damage type most creatures have immunities and resistances to, Fireball doesnt make a good showing. Like others have said, its good in wands or scrolls, but dont bother preparing it when other spells can take its place.

Good Arcane Spells? Wall of Stone, Stoneskin, Dispel Magic, Ray of Exhaustion/Enfeeblement. Shatter.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, the boards went insane on me.
    Last edited by Godhand; 2007-05-27 at 02:54 PM.
    "Yes, I am shaking in my omnipotent boots at their new outfits. I am helpless against the powers of fashion."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Fireball si worthless as anything but a utility spell.
    You win the "most contradictory statement of the post" award!
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

22. - Top - End - #22

To quote from the second thread I linked, talking about Fireball:
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankTrollman
    It's long range and does about 21 points of damage to a big area, ignoring the hardness of flamable stuff.

That means that it is often structurally the same as invisibility for the whole party - there's a group of sentries way over there and you can either run forward and engage them, try to sneak past, or you can just fireball their camp and not have to worry about it.

Things that you use to remove enemies when they are too far away to bother rolling initiative are not combat spells in any meaningful way. Indeed, actually using fireball in combat is madness. But a 6th level Warmage can throw that bad boy at targets over 600 feet away - making it an overland damaging spell. The thigs you hurt with it aren't even miniatures on the battle map.

-Frank

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

The only time I have use fireball to deal good damage was on a white dragon (double damage), who failed their save, and the fireball melted the ice they where climbing on, causing them to fall and take more damage, and become prone.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

24. - Top - End - #24

Silent Image. All the other Image spells, while we're at it. Create concealment, enclose an area with an illusion to block out the sun, create distractions, or just use it to freak people out with the strangest thing you can think of. Images are pure imagination in spell form.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Godhand View Post
    Haste doesn't need to improve as it levels up, the things your hasting are leveling up. Haste is one of those spells that makes everyone better. Melee types can get in another swing with higher accuracy, Rogues can tumble into flanking positions etc. The amount of extra damage your allies can do with a haste spell overrides any damage a fireball can do. Combined with Fire being a damage type most creatures have immunities and resistances to, Fireball doesnt make a good showing. Like others have said, its good in wands or scrolls, but dont bother preparing it when other spells can take its place.
    While your party levels up Haste doesn't so becomes proportionately smaller a benefit as time passes. Still very useful but hey that's why you prepare more than one spell. But when you don't have a party with you, there are other running spells and melee is not something any mage should be in really. And haste as a lasting enchantment can be countered, not as much to do on damage. Also fire resistance at later levels is so, but less so earlier and I've never found total fire resistance to that common.

And good in wands or scolls still counts as that's just a different way to prep a spell now isn't it?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the bonuses of haste become slightly less useful as time goes on, but the extra attack becomes more useful as time goes on.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by prufock View Post
    You win the "most contradictory statement of the post" award!
    Not if you're playing a useful wizard.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

28. - Top - End - #28

Cantrip (now known as Prestidigitation)
    Melf's Minute Rice
    Magic Missile
    Stick
    Mage Hand

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

shadow conjuration, most versitile spell ever (except for wish, but they have an xp cost)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Catch View Post
    Not if you're playing a useful wizard.
    Kaboom! How many heads can we make explode?
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum