New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Default ...Huh? Cold Iron?

Okay, I was flipping through my DMG last night, and paused on the section for Special Materials. I know most of them pretty well (at least in DMG/SRD).

One of them is Cold Iron. The only things listed in the DMG about Cold Iron are that it is found deep beneath the earth, it is oddly effective against fey creatures, it is forged at lower temperatures, and it costs a boatload of cash.

NO GAME BENEFITS LISTED. What does Cold Iron do? It's the same in the SRD.
    You may think of me as:
    Struggling amateur author #3284728

Book one is on the Kindle now. It's a mix of hard science fiction and fantasy. How's that work? Surprisingly well.

I share the ebook version of it freely. Link to download it is at the top of that page.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: ...Huh? Cold Iron?

Bypasses DR/cold iron.

So things with that DR get fully affected by hits.

Most fey have DR/cold iron.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

There are monsters with DR/cold iron. there are a handful of monsters that take extra damage from cold iron, IIRC, but I can't remember where from.

This would have been a good question for the Q&A thread.

EDIT- Wow, quadruple-post. Way to go guys!
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2007-05-30 at 02:22 PM.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Cold iron defeats the damage reduction of fae and other outsiders with DR X/Cold Iron.

Or really, anything with DR X/Cold Iron, so I guess you could beat up Warlocks with it, too.

Edit: And it's not expensive unless you want a magic Cold Iron weapon.
    Last edited by Indon; 2007-05-30 at 02:22 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

It penetrates some creatures' damage reduction. For example. sprites and most other fey have DR/cold iron. Some demons also require cold iron to bypass their DR.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

What it says. It works against the damage reduction of fey and, if I'm not mistaken, Tanar'ri.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Demons, Devils and Fey have DR -- / Cold Iron. So no game play affect unless you go into combat with one of those.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Because Cold Iorn sounds so much cooler than Hot Iron, just like Cold Fusion is cooler than superheated fusion that is created by high magnetic fields and/or lasers and contained in a magnetic coil.

I think this thread is now answered
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

9. - Top - End - #9

Cold iron is a both a real world metal and a symbol of logic and industrial skill and acumen. Hence both fey and demons are easily harmed by it.
    On the issue of killer or sadistic DMs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    That sort of person is not worthy of being a Game Master of any sort. The GM is there to entertain and bring enjoyment to the player group, thus being entertained and enjoying himself likewise. Soneone that finds pleasure in making others unhappy is a sad case indeed. That kind of GM should be left alone to lurk in online MMP games to ambush newbies' characters as they enter the setting :]

Cheers,
    Gary

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Malagigi View Post
    Cold iron is a both a real world metal and a symbol of logic and industrial skill and acumen. Hence both fey and demons are easily harmed by it.
    Not entirely; the reason it bypasses DR is that Cold Iron was said to ward off magic and evil spirits; this is why it hurts the inherently magical fey and the evil spirt Demons, it is also why it costs 2000 gp extra to enchant.
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by ArmorArmadillo View Post
    Not entirely; the reason it bypasses DR is that Cold Iron was said to ward off magic and evil spirits; this is why it hurts the inherently magical fey and the evil spirt Demons, it is also why it costs 2000 gp extra to enchant.
    Good point ArmorArmadillo.
    On the issue of killer or sadistic DMs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    That sort of person is not worthy of being a Game Master of any sort. The GM is there to entertain and bring enjoyment to the player group, thus being entertained and enjoying himself likewise. Soneone that finds pleasure in making others unhappy is a sad case indeed. That kind of GM should be left alone to lurk in online MMP games to ambush newbies' characters as they enter the setting :]

Cheers,
    Gary

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yes, it has some anti-magic properties, hence it is harder to enchant. Afaik it is also the only of the three core DR-beating metals (Adamantine, (Alchemical Silver, Cold Iron) that you can't temporarily change your weapon to with a spell or item (i.e. the Touch of Adamantine spell or Silversheen). However, you could change a weapon to Cold Iron if it has the Metalline enhancement.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course, the way cold iron is described in D&D is entirely different from what cold iron is in real life. You'd have a hell of a time trying to make a sword out of real cold iron; you'd have to enchant the thing just to keep it from snapping in half the first time you hit bone.

14. - Top - End - #14

*forehead whap* Ah yes. DR/Cold Iron. Can't believe I forgot that.
    You may think of me as:
    Struggling amateur author #3284728

Book one is on the Kindle now. It's a mix of hard science fiction and fantasy. How's that work? Surprisingly well.

I share the ebook version of it freely. Link to download it is at the top of that page.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dausuul View Post
    Of course, the way cold iron is described in D&D is entirely different from what cold iron is in real life. You'd have a hell of a time trying to make a sword out of real cold iron; you'd have to enchant the thing just to keep it from snapping in half the first time you hit bone.
    Not true, there is a 'cold forged' process by which one can make an extremely deadly blade which will not snap, which is similar to the damascus layered steel method, only without the extra layers of carbon and without the heating element. I have a friend who is a smith (does varous RenFaires and Conventions to sell his wares) who has learned this process. It's time consuming, and hard to do, but it does make an extremely nasty weapon. It's price, however, is generally prohibitive compared to a conventional high-carbon steel blade due to the extra work involved, and is not significantly better than aforementioned high-carbon steel blade, although not significantly worse either.

Also, there's a forge called Angel Sword which produces a blade called a Cryo-Avatar which uses cryogenic forging methods to create one of the world's nastiest blades. In fact, the Cryogenic-treated Avatar won a world record for being able to cut through more material than any before. Video Demonstration. However, I believe the cryo-avatars are first forged in a damascus type process then cryogenically treated, so these would likely not qualify as true cold-iron.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yvian View Post
    Demons, Devils and Fey have DR -- / Cold Iron. So no game play affect unless you go into combat with one of those.
    I can't think of one devil with DR X/Cold Iron. When a material bypasses a devil's DR at all, it's silver. Demons and fey you are correct about.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yvian View Post
    Devils are linked to silver rather than Cold Iron.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmorArmadillo View Post
    There's a little bit of both going for that. Creatures that have DR vs. cold iron tend to be Chaotic. Demons have DR vs. cold iron while devils are vulnerable to silver. Fey tend to be Chaotic. Warlocks must be either Evil or Chaotic. And so forth.

So yeah, Cold Iron is associated with both Order and Anti-Magic.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. Would cold iron surpress spellcasting abilities? Just a thought.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Not as written.

But it would be great flavor to create items that can supress spellcasting or grant spell resistance out of cold iron.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I think both Bears With Lasers and I have created feats/class abilities that disrupt spellcasters hit by cold iron weapons.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I remember BWL's anti-caster fighter abilities being powered-up by cold iron weapons. I was mostly thinking about cold iron disrupting magic by itself, which would, for example, render spellcasters wearing it weakened- like what Shhalahr said. I feel a homebrew coming on.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

I allowed a PC to make a custom Morningstar with an Adamantine shaft and ball, and Alchemical Silver and Cold Iron spikes, which he then enchanted. It bypassed virtually every damage reduction. By RAW it doesn't work, but I thought it was very clever of him and a cool idea, so I allowed it.

There's also a magic item property that specifically bypasses any non-Epic form of damage reduction. It's a +3 enchantment. I can't remember what its called though.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Metalline+ sure striking?

Bypasses all alignment/metal DR...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I remember BWL's anti-caster fighter abilities being powered-up by cold iron weapons. I was mostly thinking about cold iron disrupting magic by itself, which would, for example, render spellcasters wearing it weakened- like what Shhalahr said. I feel a homebrew coming on.
    I remember making up something like this a while ago. If I remember correctly, armor and shields made of the metal added their AC for magic touch attacks.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    I remember making up something like this a while ago. If I remember correctly, armor and shields made of the metal added their AC for magic touch attacks.
    At this moment, I'm thinking about two items: a set of two bracers and a collar that renders spellcaster powerless, and lock made of cold iron that is immune to Knock spell. I'm aiming more for out of combat uses.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-05-30 at 04:24 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Also, there's a forge called Angel Sword which produces a blade called a Cryo-Avatar which uses cryogenic forging methods to create one of the world's nastiest blades. In fact, the Cryogenic-treated Avatar won a world record for being able to cut through more material than any before. Video Demonstration. However, I believe the cryo-avatars are first forged in a damascus type process then cryogenically treated, so these would likely not qualify as true cold-iron.
    *drools over swords*

Man, if only I had about twenty thousand dollars to spare...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

So for many of these things...

Cold iron does none of this on its own. And, while doable, some of them don't really feel right if they are magic items themselves.

Seems to me we could make 'em alchemically instead.

Boy, this is drifting into a homebrew thread...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

At this moment, I'm thinking about two items: a set of two bracers and a collar that renders spellcaster powerless, and lock made of cold iron that is immune to Knock spell. I'm aiming more for out of combat uses.
    I got the same idea, reading this thread.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

29. - Top - End - #29

Is there any mundane (Ex) property that could be applied to cold iron? Silver and adamantine both have properties unrelated to their damage reduction, leaving cold iron as the odd material out. I've thought of something for mithral, but nothing comes to mind for cold iron.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sutremaine View Post
    Is there any mundane (Ex) property that could be applied to cold iron? Silver and adamantine both have properties unrelated to their damage reduction, leaving cold iron as the odd material out. I've thought of something for mithral, but nothing comes to mind for cold iron.
    Mithral has a very good property. It increases max dex bonus, reduces ASF and Dex Penalties, reduces effective armor category, and in general is about the best thing to make armor out of ever.

Cold Iron is used primarily to bypass the DR of fay and certain demons. Considering how many various demons there are, depending on the GM and what is being tossed your way, that in and of itself can be good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora