New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground
    Default confused about attacks

just like the title says.

i've looked over the rules in PHB a couple times and i still can't make sense of it.

full attack= how many attacks? (right now i give two for each weapon equipped at the same attack bonus, plus a 5-foot step if they want it)

double weapons=how many attacks for one action? (right now i give two (both ends) for one attack action at the same bonus)

i am working off 3rd edition books here, so perhaps it's covered more thoroughly in 3.5

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: confused about attacks

Um..

Full attack: +1 attack per every +5 BaB after +1 (note this is the base attack bonus, unmodified by your Strength, Dexterity or whatever), at -5 per extra attack. So, a character with a BaB of +6 gets two attacks: one at +6, and one at +6. Someone with a BaB of +11 gets a third attack, with one at +11, one at +6 and one at +1. Finally, as +16 BaB, you get a fourth; +16, +11, +6, +1.

If you're wielding two weapons, you get an extra off-hand attack, but take a huge penalty unless you have Two-Weapon Fighting.

Double weapons count as either a single two-handed weapon or a one-handed weapon and a light weapon as if wielding one in each hand.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

That sounds pretty much totally wrong; likely one of the rules fanatics will have more specifics, but the # of attacks is based off of BAB, even at 20 BAB you only get 4 attacks, with each iterative attack at a lower attack bonus (20/15/10/5). Two weapon fighting gives one additional attack, and you take a penalty to all attacks if you twf

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Well, the number of attacks you can make is based on your Base Attack Bonus. If your BAB allows more than one attack, than you can make more than one attack in a full attack action. You can also make additional attacks with an off-hand weapon, but you take penalties to all attacks made if you do so. A double-weapon is a combo primary weapon and off-hand weapon.

In general, if you move more than 5 ft, you can only make one attack.

Whoa, simu-ninja attack FTW.
    Last edited by silentknight; 2007-06-06 at 12:20 PM. Reason: simu-ninja
    A silent knight is better than a holey knight.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jayabalad is correct, except for monsters whose attack and full attack are in their description.

So, for example, let's say you are a Fightere level 15. Your BAB is +15/+10. If you make a standard attack action, you attack at +15. If you take a full attack action, you get your entire BAB, so one attack at +15 and a second at +10.

If you have a second weapon and elect to make a full attack, you may take an additional attack with your offhand weapon, but with the penalties described in the TWF section of the PHB. Note that certain feats (such as Two Weapon Fighting and Improved Two Weapon Fighting) lessen this penalty or add additional attacks per round.

Hope that helps.

(Simu-Simu post)
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2007-06-06 at 12:25 PM.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I hope we are helping, because there are some minor errors in the "advice" above.

Yuki's first example should have been +6 and +1.

Gaurd's example should be +15, +10, and +5.
    A silent knight is better than a holey knight.

7. - Top - End - #7

so somebody with less than +6, would not get anything out of a full attack?

and two weapon fighting gives you your second attack NORMALLY without full attack?

and with a double weapon you can only make 1 attack without full attack?

and normal 2-handed weapon never come into this? (ie, not slower or anything?)

PS: the examples are great

just to walk you guys on to the target here;

of the 2 PCs we have, the one for whom this applies is;

jon; a level4 fighter with a BAB of +4, 2-weapon fighting and weapon focus on bastard sword and short sword. he is proficient in both and both are master work, giving him an attack of +7 with each
    Last edited by beachhead1973; 2007-06-06 at 12:36 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by beachhead1973 View Post
    so somebody with less than +6, would not get anything out of a full attack?

and two weapon fighting gives you your second attack NORMALLY without full attack?

and with a double weapon you can only make 1 attack without full attack?

PS: the examples are great
    Not to sound like i jerk (because that's truly not my intent) - but do you own a copy of the PHB? If so - I'd suggest re-reading some sections. Specifically, the combat section. I answers all of your questions (basics pg135, full attack pg143, two-weapon fighting pg160).

As some have mentioned already, the number of attacks per round (using the full attack action) is based on BAB. The character class level tables show you how many attacks each gets at what level.

You are correct, someone with a BAB less than +6 only gets one attack even on a full attack action.

If this seems "underpowered" to you, you should keep in mind as it states in the rules that each 'attack' does not mean a single swing of the sword - rather, it is the probability of a solid hit during a given round. More experienced characters will hit more often, thus have 'more attacks'.

The two-weapon fighting section tells you that you only get the off-hand attacks when taking the full attack action. Fighting with both ends of a double weapon counts as two-weapon fighting, and thus operate by the same rules (in this regard).

~PS
    Last edited by Penguinsushi; 2007-06-06 at 12:49 PM.
    "One Penguin To Rule Them All..."

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm invisible...I'm invisible...I'm baby mice-ing invisible!" ~ Diva De

The Boot. Fear it.

Thanks to Trog for OotK icon
    Also, thanks to El J, Kubb Ambassador

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

For the most part, no, they don't get any benefit, unless they have some other way of getting extra attacks, such as flurry of blows or two-weapon fighting.

You still have to make a full attack to use your second weapon. You need a special ability to be able to, say, move and hit with both. So two-weapon fighters get a benefit from the full-attack option, as do monks.

You can get more attacks with your off-hand weapon, but they require taking the improved and greater two-weapon fighting feats. Generally, these become available after you gain another attack with your primary weapon.

Also keep in mind that natural weapons never get iterative attacks, no matter how high your BAB goes up.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

To reply to your example:

Jon, a 4th level fighter with a BAB +4 and wielding a bastard sword and short short, each with a +7 attack could do the following in a round:

Take a standard action to attack with the bastard sword at +7 attack
    OR take a standard action to attack with the short sword at +7 attack
    OR take a full-round action to attack with both the bastard sword and short sword each at a +5 attack (-2 to both attacks because fighting with two weapons, two-weapon fighting feat, and using a light weapon in the off-hand)

One more thing, if you're using a weapon in your off-hand, you only apply half your Strength bonus to damage.

And here's Two Weapon Fighting on the SRD.

Dizlag

EDIT: added the TWF link and 1/2 Strength
    Last edited by Dizlag; 2007-06-06 at 12:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

ah! thankyou! this is very helpful.

now what if, say we have guy with some kind of large 2-handed weapon, it doesn't matter what and spiked guantlets?

could he benefit from full attack?

swing with the 2-hander then lash out with one of the gauntlets?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

OK, so this is complex, but in a real game its pretty straightforward.

Standard Action: One Attack, unless you have some sort of special ability (Whirling Frenzy) or feat (Snap-Kick). You generally use this if you need to take a Move action and then attack (or attack and then Move).

Full Attack: Based on your BAB, plus any bonus attacks that you might get from other sources, such as Two Weapon Fighting, Flurry, Speed effects, etc. Generally, you should just ask a more experienced player how many attacks you get, write down the modifiers for your full attack routine, and then refer to it whenever you need to make a full attack.

Charge: Up to double your movement speed in a strait line through non-difficult terrain directly towards your enemy, followed by one attack at the end of your movement. This is a full round action. A Charge can be modified in a bunch of different ways (for example, there are thirty something different ways to get a more then one attack at the end of a charge, several ways to multiply the damage, etc), and is generally the best source of melee damage in D&D.

Natural Attacks: Players usually don't have to deal with this. But if you have natural attacks, like a bite, claws, tentacles, etc., you can sometimes use these attacks instead of or in addition to your normal attack routine. Don't bother with this if you're new to the game.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Wielding a two-handed weapon with spiked gauntlets wouldn't benefit a fighter with less than +6 BAB. Now, a fighter with +6 BAB or more would have at least two attacks. The first attack could be made with the two-handed weapon at +6 BAB and the second attack a punch from the spiked gauntlet (considered an armed attack) made at +1 BAB.

Again, without a second attack ... someone wielding a two-handed weapon would have to choose to swing the weapon or punch with their spiked gauntlet.

Dizlag

EDIT: little clearer now
    Last edited by Dizlag; 2007-06-06 at 12:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

great, but now back to 2-weapons

once this guy get above BAB+6 (if he lives that long, i swear to the dark gods)

he'll get 2 attacks normally (6/1) and 3 with full attack?

or am i still thinking single-weapon here?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

great, but now back to 2-weapons

once this guy get above BAB+6 (if he lives that long, i swear to the dark gods)

he'll get 2 attacks normally (6/1) and 3 with full attack?

or am i still thinking single-weapon here?
    Correct. The BAB numbers are for your primary weapon, so at BAB +6, he has one attack at +6 (before strength, masterwork, ect), and a second at +1 (same deal). Due to his two-weapon fighting feat, he'll ALSO get a single attack with his off-hand weapon at +6 (same, blah blah blah). He'll take a -2 penalty to ALL attacks made in the round for fighting with two weapons. This is all assuming he makes a full attack, anything less than that only gives a single attack.

If he picks up Improved Two-Weapon Fighting at level 6, he'll also get a second attack with his off-hand weapon at +1 (Ditto, same, blah blah blah).
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

A Character with a Two Handed Weapon could, however, make a Two Handed Attack and an Off Hand Attack with Armour Spikes (or perhaps an Unarmed Strike, such as a Head Butt or Kick) - as could a Two Weapon Fighter or a Weapon and Shield Fighter.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-06-06 at 01:18 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

17. - Top - End - #17

when you're doing it right, that off-hand weapon doesn't get used alot, eh?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Jon is now a 6th level Fighter with +6 BAB. His options are now:

Standard action single attack with bastard sword at +9 attack
    OR a standard action single attack with short sword at +9 attack
    OR a full-round action full attack with bastard sword at +9/+4 attack
    OR a full-round action full attack with short sword at +9/+4 attack
    OR a full-round action full attack with bastard sword +7/+2 and short sword at +7 attack

If Jon, picked up Improved Two-Weapon Fighting at 6th level, then his last option above would change to this:

OR a full-round action full attack with bastard sword +7/+2 and short sword at +7/+2 attack

Dizlag

EDIT: simul-ninja'd!
    Last edited by Dizlag; 2007-06-06 at 01:22 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

when you're doing it right, that off-hand weapon doesn't get used alot, eh?
    Depends on the build, really, but two-weapon fighting is generally seen as .. suboptimal.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    Depends on the build, really, but two-weapon fighting is generally seen as .. suboptimal.
    why is that? it would seem to be an advantage when facing low-AC enemies
    Last edited by beachhead1973; 2007-06-06 at 01:32 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Power Attack and Cleave, mainly. It can be an advantage, but usually not. Getting a Full Attack is difficult to do. That's why many DMs House Rule it so that an On Hand and Off Hand Attack can be made as a Standard Action. I use a Home Brew Feat called Mobile Two Weapon Fighting, which helps, but doesn't do enough by itself.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-06-06 at 01:36 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Two weapon fighting can get some good use out of Shocking weapons, Keen weapons with decent critical ranges, Sneak attack, flaming swords..

Anything that adds extra damage DICE to two weapon fighting can be a huge boon. Sneak attack in particular, as you want to get into flanking positions to pick up that nice +2 bonus. And then, you sneak attack with 3 or 4 attacks!