New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Str rules supreme

I think that the role of strength is way to significant in the d20 system. The fact that you get to add it to both, melee attack bonus and damage seems a bit strange. The barbarian's rage is a good example. It's perfectly understandable, that a person should be able to swing a weapon really hard when they're extremeley angry, but that the weapon's chance of hitting should increase is unrational. In my opinion dex bonus, and dex bonus only should be added to all melee and ranged attack rolls(well, and BaB and other bonuses..). I know this may overpower dex-relaying characters, but if you think about it, it really makes sense. A giant's swing is sureley going to sqush you like an ant if it hits you, but giants are not that quick by nature and there's a good chance you'll avoid the blow. The variant armor rules in unearthed arcana could be applied too, so that part of the armor bonus would convert into damage reduction. That would balance the new str/dex usage a bit and would make a fight appear much more realistic.

So, what do you think? Would it work? Has it ever been tried out?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Str rules supreme

No, it doesn't make more sense. It does make about the same sort of sense (i.e. not much). Dexterity already has more than enough uses, but if you need an explanation, Strength is required for Speed (and also to smash through armour that cannot be bypassed). I usually fall on the other side of the fence, though, I think Strength should be used for Ranged Attacks as well as Melee.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Well, strength may add to melee attack and damage rolls, but...

Dexterity adds to Armor Class, Ranged attack rolls, and Reflex saves;

Constitution adds to Health and Fortitude saves;

Casting stats add to both spell counts and spell save DC's.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Reminds me of old world of darkness, where you would roll dex+weaponry to hit, then strength + extra successes for damage. I don't think it would work very well in D&D, because it really hurts heavy armor wearers, and knights in armor are kind of an iconic figure in D&D.

And have you ever tried to swing a sword? Strength is definitely a factor there, unless the weapon is light.

Of course I'm mostly comparing my experience fighting in the SCA (fighting in plate armor with ritan weapons), to fighting in NERO (fighting in heavy armor with pvc pipe wrapped in foam).
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

The problems;

Armour based characters lose out on accuracy because wearing armour makes their dex useless.

Dex already adds to loads of skills, initiative, reflex saves and armour class.

A lot of large monsters will lose the ability to hit anything.

Some solutions;

Let monsters use strength for natural weapons. Since the weapons are part of the monster you can rationalise things.

Change initiative to intelligence or wisdom. This would make some sense and would stop dex becoming the ultimate stat.

Make sure that characters don't need heavy armour to get anywhere or give your armoured characters better equipment.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    No, it doesn't make more sense. It does make about the same sort of sense (i.e. not much). Dexterity already has more than enough uses, but if you need an explanation, Strength is required for Speed (and also to smash through armour that cannot be bypassed). I usually fall on the other side of the fence, though, I think Strength should be used for Ranged Attacks as well as Melee.
    I can understand dexterity being used for melee attacks, but I do not see how strength would add to ranged attack bonus.

In any case, I feel for class balance every character should have to rely on 3 or more attributes to be effective. Everyone already has Con (so they don't have a tasty dose of death).
    Last edited by Piccamo; 2007-06-07 at 04:17 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I usually fall on the other side of the fence, though, I think Strength should be used for Ranged Attacks as well as Melee.
    Like, for thrown weapons?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Piccamo View Post
    I can understand dexterity being used for melee attacks, but I do not see how strength would add to ranged attack bonus.
    For bows, it would be a more detailed version of the rule which penalizes attack with a composite bow if you lack the required strength; the easier it is to pull an arrow, the more steady you can hold it, the easier it is to fire reliably.

But still, dex makes more sense for ranged attack modifier.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Or perhaps drawing a bowstring farther back.

Edit: both beaten and topped.
    Last edited by dukexx; 2007-06-07 at 04:22 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Strength makes sense when the assumption is that hitting is all about overcoming armour.

In an armour as DR game dexterity makes more sense, in the original edition of DnD strength made some sense and it has gone down from there.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2007-06-07 at 04:21 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The rationale in the d20 system is that Armor Class represents both the enemy's chance to miss and the chance that one's armor will deflect the blow. Strength adds to Attack because it represents the ability to penetrate armor. Also, in general, stronger people have more control when they're swinging a long or heavy weapon like a sword or axe.

Out of game, there's something of a balance issue. Strength adds to melee attack, melee damage, carrying capacity (which no one really pays attention to), and about three skills and a couple of special combat moves. Dexterity, on the other hand, adds to ranged attack, Armor Class, about a dozen or more skills. My point here is, Strength is already nigh-useless to anyone who's not engaging in melee combat. Skillmonkeys, archers, casters, even melee druids don't need it. However, everyone likes Dex, although melee fighters in full plate can live without it. Take one more thing away from Strength and give it to Dex, you risk Dex becoming an uberstat that everyone wants.

Finally, for light weapons and anything else that can be used with precision, there is the Weapon Finesse feat.

That is a lot of simu-posts.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2007-06-07 at 04:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Well, in True20 dexterity is used to determine your melee to hit, while strength is used for the damage part. Works fine.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Strength makes sense when the assumption is that hitting is all about overcoming armour.

In an armour as DR game dexterity makes more sense, in the original edition of DnD strength made some sense and it has gone down from there.
    Yeah, I agree completely. A lot of new players get confused about what the attack roll actually is... it's not do I hit or not, it's does this attack land in a significant way. Pleanty of "misses" in melee combat should be seen/narrated as clanking of weapons against armor, shield or just plain falling without enough strength behind them... it's not always broad swinging misses and dodges.
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein

sugar (to be consumed by Thog.)

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    The problems;

Armour based characters lose out on accuracy because wearing armour makes their dex useless.
    Not really, wearing heavy armor only makes Dex useless as far as AC is concerned:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Maximum Dex Bonus

This number is the maximum Dexterity bonus to AC that this type of armor allows. Heavier armors limit mobility, reducing the wearer’s ability to dodge blows. This restriction doesn’t affect any other Dexterity-related abilities.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/...aximumDexBonus
    So even in heavy armor a high Dex score can be useful
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Soepvork? Bang freakin' on. A cookie must be doled out, though I fear its chocolate chip-deliciously-infected substance is far too lacking of grandeur to be a prize of the appropriate scale.

So you get two cookies.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soepvork View Post
    Not really, wearing heavy armor only makes Dex useless as far as AC is concerned:

So even in heavy armor a high Dex score can be useful
    But unless the character can't possibly get Strength or Constitution higher, it's almost always going to be better to boost one of those, for a heavy-armor wearer.

Also, using Dexterity to hit only makes sense when you're thinking about a rapier or longsword; something that can be twirled about. Instead, let's look at it applied to a greatsword. Being fast is only going to help you so much; to swiing the sword fast, you're going to need a lot of arm strength. Add that to the already-presented point that a lot of misses are actually just failures to penetrate the armor or shield... yeah.

Obviously, Dex is better for some lighter weapons. That's why there's Weapon Finesse. If you like, you could allow characters to use their Dex or Str with finessable weapons, to make it an easier style to use, or expand the list a little to include a few other appropriate one-handed weapons.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed. Strength = Speed, as Thomas was fond of pointing out. The idea is that Strength contributes in D&D in both that way and in it's ability to overcome Armour. Bows and Thrown Weapons benefit from Strength in these ways, Cross Bows are obviously the exception.

Well, Dexterity does make sense, in its capacity as measure of spacial awareness and aim.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-06-07 at 05:26 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    But unless the character can't possibly get Strength or Constitution higher, it's almost always going to be better to boost one of those, for a heavy-armor wearer.
    I agree, I just wanted to point out the common misconception about the Max Dex bonus of an armor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Soepvork? Bang freakin' on. A cookie must be doled out, though I fear its chocolate chip-deliciously-infected substance is far too lacking of grandeur to be a prize of the appropriate scale.

So you get two cookies.

18. - Top - End - #18

So what about if bigger weapons had additional restrictions? I.e. with a greataxe you use dex or str, whichever is the lowest. In this case someone with a high str but low dex wouldn't be hitting stuff because his swings would simply not go in the desired direction, while someone with a high dex and low str simply isn't able to swing the weapon properly. I know it's getting a bit complicated, but the goal here is to make stuff more realistic, and complications are sadly a must.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by weenie View Post
    I know it's getting a bit complicated, but the goal here is to make stuff more realistic, and complications are sadly a must.
    Excuse me, but why on {someone}'s green Earth would you want to make D&D realistic?! It isn't, and it's not a good system for realism. Go play GURPS for realism. Play D&D for slaying a dragon while eating a sandwich. A MAGIC sandwich.
    I think, therefore I am... I think...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by weenie View Post
    I know it's getting a bit complicated, but the goal here is to make stuff more realistic, and complications are sadly a must.
    Or you could just go with the system that's already in place. <_<
    Last edited by OzymandiasVolt; 2007-06-07 at 06:15 PM.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, task mage

STFUitP

21. - Top - End - #21

Throw in "Improved Weapon Finesse"

Removes the restrictions for what melee weapons can take advantage of the weapon finesse feat, instead allowing dexterity to apply to the hit bonus for any melee attack.
    Last edited by Koji; 2007-06-07 at 06:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Seriously. D&D combat is fun as a tactical challenge, but as a simulation, it's pretty much worthless.

And I'd also like to add that dexterity and nimbleness aren't really a factor with any rigid weapon weighing more than a couple pounds. You need a lot of force behind a heavy weapon, not precision.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    And I'd also like to add that dexterity and nimbleness aren't really a factor with any rigid weapon weighing more than a couple pounds. You need a lot of force behind a heavy weapon, not precision.
    EXACTLY. When you're waving around a heavy metal object, increased STRENGTH lets you wield it with more precision because you aren't fighting gravity and the object's inertia all the time.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, task mage

STFUitP

24. - Top - End - #24

Actually I think I read it explained (somewhere, can't remember where) like this.

Strength affects how much your weapon 'hurts' of course. However, it also affects how fast you can swing a sword. Dexterity isn't speed like most people think, dexterity is how nimble you are and how good your reflexes are.

This same logic can be applied to many things. Jump is strength because you need to move yourself fast in order to jump far. Swim is strength because of the same thing.

Strength affects how often you can 'hit' someone because your sword is moving faster, thus penetrating armor more and making it harder for someone to get out of the way.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll argue that strength being overvalued doesn't even stand as an argument outside of D&D. Other d20 settings aren't as melee oriented as D&D, and strength doesn't necessarily have to be a focus stat for combat characters in, say, a Modern setting.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The real problem is it forces melee types to have good stats in all three physical attributes. We already have problems with players ignoring mental stats because they often don't benefit them enough. Making it even harder to put high rolls in mental stats? It just... doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

its called weapon finesse already thought of

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Ok, here's how this works in my mind:

Using Str for attack rolls:
    Using your Strength, you are able to swing large metallic objects at lethal velocity. You do this while still maintaining both your balance and a semblence of accuracy do to your training and ability to keep your weapon's inertia in check. Your opponent's defenses are bypassed by you 1) landing the blow before they have time to gather them, 2) you batter your opponent's sheild/weapon away with your superior strength or 3) your blow packs enough power to get through your foes' armor. This is essentially a quick, violent attack targeted at the general region of your foe's body.

Using Dex for attack rolls:
    Using your finesse, you are able to attack in a different manner than your greatsword weilding peers. They attack in broad, furious strokes filled with nothing but power, but none the less effective. At Dexterious attack is powered not by the broad powerful motions of the arms and body, but by a simple flick of the wrist. In this fashion, you are able to attack from different angles than those of your peers, and even if your foe gets their sheild up in time, you twist your wrist and now strike at their unprotected thigh. These are essentially precise, almost surgical strikes at any weakness your opponent has. You do not break their defenses, you merely go around them.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I dunno, to be honest, a thrusting weapon requires a lot of Strength to penetrate armour, so the whole 'broad strokes' thing doesn't really wash with me. Driving a Sword (whether Short, Long or Great) or Spear into a large Animal or Monster also requires significant Strength, though precision must play a role somewhere along the line (but surely that's represented by skill, i.e. BAB and Weapon Focus, etc...).
    Fact is, most Actions and Skills really require a combination of 'Attributes' to be successfully executed. Hiding is as much about Wisdom and Intelligence as it is about Dexterity. Tumbling is a Skill that really requires Strength as much as spacial awareness. Indeed, pretty much any physical action is a combination of Strength and Dexterity, and each could be justified in some way, but in the end, this is a mechanical issue.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Well, I look at the Weapon Finesse feat as partly training in aiming for vulnerable spots; the joints in armor, near-surface tendons on large animals, etc.
    Spoiler
    Show