New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Homebrew Design Request Thread

I'm currently working on three major homebrew projects--my setting, a new magic system, and a book--but I find that I do better when I make something unrelated to all three. Freshens the mind, I suppose.

So, that being said, here's the idea of the thread:

1. You can't figure out a way to make that monster/PrC/spell/item/what have you. So! You post what it is you want here (ie: "I'd like a cleric spell that can raise my allies for a limited amount of time.").

2. I--and anyone else who decides to grab your idea--ponders it, and makes it mechanically sound (ie: "Here's the Arise spell").

3. The result will be posted in this thread, free for you to use.

[hr]

Now, a few limitations:
    • 3.5 D&D only for now.
    • Monsters, spells, races, feats, and PrCs preferred.
    • Please don't ask for something you're not going to use.
    • Please don't ask for "humor" PrCs. I take my homebrewing very seriously.
    • Creations via this thread are probably ineligible for VT's contest, or for the forum contests, so be warned.

And that's it!
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2007-04-06 at 11:08 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Homebrew Design Request Thread

INDEX
    I: Serpentfolk
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2007-04-06 at 11:09 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I'm sorry it's not a monster per say...but I'm having trouble thinking up the stats for a sort of lizardy/snakey race -- simmilar to the yuant-ti, but without the level adjustment(or only a +1) or hit die. basic physical aspects are that, like the yaun-ti, they are largely humanoid with probably a few scaley patches, slit pupils, and a sort of snake-tail, in addition to human legs (the tail would extend from the tailbone). Unlike the yuan-ti, they would have no particular affinity for magic/psionics...I don't need any fluff, just the racial traits, and I can build fluff around those.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

well i would like to see a race designed for favored class bard, not just a race that was designed for something else that bard was tacked onto (in looking at you gnomes)

Edit: also a monster with abilities like a spellthief would be nice (sorry if there is one and i haven't seen it)
    Last edited by Kultrum; 2007-04-06 at 10:57 AM.
    Every time you overpower a character an angel loses its wings... and implodes.
    If I were a pie I would be Lemon Morang A little sweet a little sour and a lot of fluff
    Catgirl Murderer of the Club of Gaming Reason

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    No Kultrum you win the internet today, you deserve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethklok
    I'd rather you be dead then consider not opening a restaurant

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    Well, I'm sorry it's not a monster per say...but I'm having trouble thinking up the stats for a sort of lizardy/snakey race -- simmilar to the yuant-ti, but without the level adjustment(or only a +1) or hit die. basic physical aspects are that, like the yaun-ti, they are largely humanoid with probably a few scaley patches, slit pupils, and a sort of snake-tail, in addition to human legs (the tail would extend from the tailbone). Unlike the yuan-ti, they would have no particular affinity for magic/psionics...I don't need any fluff, just the racial traits, and I can build fluff around those.
    Serpentfolk
    Con +2, Int -2. Serpentfolk are tough, but they have a harder time dealing with advanced mental concepts than most people.
    Medium Size
    Humanoid (Reptilian): As humanoid reptilians, Serpentfolk are affected by spells and effects that specifically target reptiles.
    30' Land speed
    Prehensile Tail: Due to their prehensile tail, Serpentfolk have a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground). Further, their tail gives Serpentfolk a +4 bonus on Swim and Balance checks.
    Darkvision: Serpentfolk can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight.
    Natural Attacks: Serpentfolk have three natural attacks: two claws, which are used as a primary attack, and a secondary bite. The claws deal 1d4 damage, while the bite deals 1d6. Any round in which a Serpentfolk attacks with a manufactured weapon, it cannot attack with its claws.
    LA +0

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kultrum View Post
    also a monster with abilities like a spellthief would be nice (sorry if there is one and i haven't seen it)
    Silverborn Whisperthieves, for all your spellthieving needs.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Just a minor question: does this thread include 'finishing' PrCs/Monsters/spells that someone started to design, but have no idea how to finish?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kultrum View Post
    well i would like to see a race designed for favored class bard, not just a race that was designed for something else that bard was tacked onto (in looking at you gnomes)
    Ekahapana are human-like fey who live in deep forests and jungles. They are related to the other Kolumakan races through ancestral relations to the Kolumaka, but have diverted into their own species. They appear as beautiful human females (all Ekahapana are female and reproduce asexually) with two distinguishing characteristics--a third eye in the middle of their forehead and long, pointed ears. They have light skin ranging from light green to peach. Ekahapana have a natural predilection towards the natural world.

Alignment: Most Ekahapana tend towards neutrality or good, occasionally both. However, this is by no means a requirement.

Language: Ekahapana speak Common and Sylvan, as well as their own racial language, Kolumaka.

Player Character Ekahapana
    *Strength -2, Constitution -2, Charisma +4. Ekahapana prefer social combat to physical combat, and are naturally inclined towards such.
    *Ekahapana are medium sized.
    *A Ekahapana's base land speed is 30 feet.
    *Fey: Ekahapana are fey with the (Kolumaka) subtype.
    *Third Eye: An Ekahapana's third eye is not a vestigal organ and provides the following benefits:
    :*Trinocular Vision: An Ekahapana receives a +2 racial bonus to Spot checks and a +1 racial bonus on ranged attack rolls due to their unique depth perception.
    :*Beguiling Glance: An Ekahapana's third eye allows them to charm others, augmenting their natural beauty with magical compulsions. An Ekahapana can use charm person as a spell-like ability, usable a number of times per day equal to one-half their hit dice. In addition, during the use of this ability, an Ekahapana loses their racial bonus to Spot checks and ranged attack rolls.
    :*An Ekahapana's third eye also grants them low-light vision.
    *Natural Voice: An Ekahapana receives a +2 racial bonus on Perform (Song) checks. In addition, when determining the effects of bardic music, an Ekahapana's bard level is considered one higher than normal.
    *Automatic languages: Common, Sylvan, Kolumaka
    *Bonus Languages: Auran, Gnomish, Dwarven, Elven
    *Favored Class: Bard
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2007-04-06 at 11:12 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Just a minor question: does this thread include 'finishing' PrCs/Monsters/spells that someone started to design, but have no idea how to finish?
    Yes. If you have a "homebrew hangup" and can't finish something, post what you've got and I'll see what I can do.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, here it is:
    It's PrC for my setting that I started making, but I can't seem to be able to finish it- I've got concept, but I'm not particulary mechanically experienced. Here's the table:

Demonhunter

Demonhunters are the order of skilled, agile warriors trained and dedicated to hunting down and killing outsiders of all types- but in fact they're killing mostly demons and devils, as they're most dangerous for society. At the beginning, demonhunters mere meant to be as an order of noble warriors protecting people from demonic danger, but now the're mostly just ruthless mercaneries, killing both evil and good outsiders for money. Basically, warrior becomes Demonhunter by discipline, training and drinking a special elixir from outsiders blood- it doesn't matter what type of outsider it was. Training and outsider's blood make them powerful, but it kills most of higher emotions of demonunter- though there're exceptions. Demonhunter are feared by common people, but everyone appreciates their skills in dealing with outsiders and other monsters. Demonhunters are usually fighters, rangers or warblades, and in most cases humans- elven or dwarven demonhunters appear from time to time, but that's all.
    Requirements:
    Alignment: any Neutral
    BAB: +6
    Skills: Knowledge (Planes) 5 ranks, Survival 6 ranks, Concentration 5 ranks
    Feats:
    Special: Must drink special elixir made of outsider's blood, made by skilled alchemist.

Class skills: Climb, Concentration, Heal, Knowledge (Planes), Survival, Tumble
    Skill Points at each level:4 + Int modifier
    Hit die: d8

DEMONHUNTER
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    | Outsider blood

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    | Emotionless

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    | Smite Outsider 1 time/day, Favored Enemy +2

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    | Shield Mind

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    | Stronger Outsider Blood

6th|
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    | Smite Outsider 2 times/day, Favored Enemy +4

7th|
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    | Dimensional Anchor

8th|
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    | Banishing Strike

9th|
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    | Dimension Door 1/day

10th|
    +10
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    | Superior Outsier Blood, Freedom Of Movement 1/day [/table]

Outsider Blood: Demonhunters drink an elixir from outsider's blood, which gives Darkvision and ability to detect outsider 3 times/day. If character have had Darkvision before, he gets additional 10 ft. of darkvision.
    Stronger Outsider Blood: As the Demonhunter's outsider's blood becomes stronger, he gets True Seeing 2 times/day.
    Superior Outsider Blood: Demonhunters are never fully humans(or whatever race they belong to), but most powerful Demonhunters are only partially humanoids, as outsider's blood grows stronger. It futher changes treir apperance, and they're treated as native outsiders rather than humanoid in case of spells like Hold Person or Charm Person. They can't be banished though, and can still be ressurected. They still need to breathe and sleep.
    Emotionless: Due to their training, discipline and blood, Demonhunters are cold-blooded and emotionless. Therefore, they get +4 bonus to saves against fear and are immune to everything that grants morale bonus or penalty.
    Shield Mind: Demonhunter can make himself immune to all mind-affecting spells and effects for number of rounds equal to his class level, 2 times/day. Not sure on which level should they get it.
    Banishing Strike: Using one of his Smite Outsider uses, Demonhunter may attempt to banish an outsider by succesfully hitting it with melee weapon. Otherwise, this ability works like the Dismissal spell, caster level as Demonhunter's class levels. You have to declare Banishing Strike when you attack, if you miss the use of smite is lost.
    Dimensional Anchor: Two times/day, a Demonhunter may use Dimensional Anchor spell as spell-like ability.
    Smite Outsider: Demonhunter can perform powerful attack against an outsider. He adds his Wisdom modifier to attack and his class levels to damage. This ability stacks with Paladin's Smite Evil ability.
    Favored Enemy: This ability works exactly like Ranger's Favored Enemy ability- Demonhunter has a choose between Good and Evil outsiders. This ability stacks with Favored Enemy bonus, if the character has one.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-04-06 at 01:08 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Awesome thanx for both
    If I were a pie I would be Lemon Morang A little sweet a little sour and a lot of fluff

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Alright, here it is:
    It's PrC for my setting that I started making, but I can't seem to be able to finish it- I've got concept, but I'm not particulary mechanically experienced. Here's the table:

Demonhunter

Demonhunters are the order of skilled, agile warriors trained and dedicated to hunting down and killing outsiders of all types- but in fact they're killing mostly demons and devils, as they're most dangerous for society. At the beginning, demonhunters mere meant to be as an order of noble warriors protecting people from demonic danger, but now the're mostly just ruthless mercaneries, killing both evil and good outsiders for money. Basically, warrior becomes Demonhunter by discipline, training and drinking a special elixir from outsiders blood- it doesn't matter what type of outsider it was. Training and outsider's blood make them powerful, but it kills most of higher emotions of demonunter- though there're exceptions. Demonhunter are feared by common people, but everyone appreciates their skills in dealing with outsiders and other monsters. Demonhunters are usually fighters, rangers or warblades, and in most cases humans- elven or dwarven demonhunters appear from time to time, but that's all.
    Requirements:
    Alignment: any Neutral
    BAB: +6
    Skills: Knowledge (Planes) 5 ranks, Survival 6 ranks, Concentration 5 ranks
    Feats:
    Special: Must drink special elixir made of outsider's blood, made by skilled alchemist.

Class skills: Climb, Concentration, Heal, Knowledge (Planes), Survival, Tumble
    Skill Points at each level:4 + Int modifier
    Hit die: d8

DEMONHUNTER
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    | Outsider blood

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    | Emotionless

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    | Smite Outsider 1 time/day, Special Training +2

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    | Stronger Outsider Blood

6th|
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    | Smite Outsider 2 times/day, Special Training +4

7th|
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    | Banishing Strike

8th|
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    | Dimensional Anchor

9th|
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    | Special Training +6, Dimension Door 1/day

10th|
    +10
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    | Superior Outsier Blood, Freedom Of Movement 1/day [/table]

Outsider Blood: Demonhunters drink an elixir from outsider's blood, which gives them ceratin powers and drawbacks. I'll specify them later, they'll probably depend on which type of outsider was the blood from.
    Stronger Outsider Blood: As the Demonhunter becomes stronger, his outsider blood grants him new abilities- again, I'll specify later, I've got few abilities about that already.
    Superior Outsider Blood: Demonhunters are never fully humans(or whatever race they belong to), but most powerful Demonhunters are only partailly humanoids, as outsider's blood grows stronger. It futher changes treir apperance, and they're treated as outsiders rather than humanoid in case of spells like Hold Person or Charm Person. They can't be banished though, and can still be ressurected. They still need to breathe and sleep.
    Emotionless: Due to their training, discipline and blood, Demonhunters are cold-blooded and emotionless. Therefore, they get +4 bonus to saves against fear and are immune to everything that grants morale bonus or penalty.
    Shield Mind: Demonhunter can make himself immune to all mind-affecting spells and effects for number of rounds equal to his class level, 2 times/day. Not sure on which level should they get it.
    Banishing Strike: Two times/day, Demonhunter may attempt to banish an outsider by succesfully hitting it with melee weapon. Otherwise, this ability works like the Dismissal spell, caster level as Demonhunter's class levels. You have to declare Banishing Strike when you attack, if you miss the charge is lost.
    Dimensional Anchor: Two times/day, a Demonhunter may use Dimensional Anchor spell as spell-like ability.
    Smite Outsider: Demonhunter can perform powerful attack against an outsider. He adds his Wisdom modifier to attack and his class levels to damage.
    Special Training: Demonhunter is trained in hunting outsiders, therefore he gains bonuses to hit and damage against all outsiders. It stacks with ranger's Favored Enemy and all similiar abilities.
    Shield Mind at fourth.

Superior Outsider Blood should probably change the character's type to Outsider (Native).

Are you looking for more mechanics, replacement mechanics, or something else?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

How about a parasitic monster based on those freaky wasps that preform brain surgery.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Mostly for advice if its abilities are balanced. Beside that, I'd like to give it some more anti-outsider abilities. I've got flavor, roleplaying, place in setting etc. in mind, so only mechanics.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Have Smite Outsider stack with Paladin's Smite Evil ability: if the player has both, he can smite one or the other (and gets double effect on evil outsiders). Flat replace "Special Training" with Favored Enemy (Evil Outsiders). Swap the gain of Banishing Strike and Dimensional Anchor, and make Banishing Strike a Smite modification instead of a unique ability.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks, done. Actually, when I think about that, I've mostly had troubles with Outsider Blood abilities- I'm not entirely sure what they should give.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps Darkvision? Detect Evil? Detect Outsider? True Seeing? A touch attack versus outsiders?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Umarth View Post
    How about a parasitic monster based on those freaky wasps that preform brain surgery.
    I could do something with this.

Lets see...

Ampulex
    Tiny Magical Beast
    Hit dice: 1d10 (5 hp)
    Initiative: +9
    Speed: 10 ft, fly 30 ft (good)
    AC: 17 (touch 17 flatfooted 12)
    Bases attack/ Grapple: +1/-11
    Attack: touch +8 Melee (sting)
    Full attack: touch +8 Melee (sting)
    Space/ reach: 2 1/2/ 0
    Special Attacks: Sting, Poison, Charm sting, lay eggs
    Special Qualities: Low light vision, dark vision 60ft
    Saves: Fort: +2 Ref +7 Will +1
    Abilities: Str: 3 Dex: 20 Con: 10 Int: 1 Wis: 12 Cha: 6
    Skills: +17 hide
    Feats: Weapon Finesse, Improved Initiative
    Environment: Forests
    Organization: Solitary
    CR: 1
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Neutral

Sting: if the Ampulex surprises the party or wins initiative it will attempt to sting the least armored opponent. If its succeeds on a melee touch attack it delivers its poison as a free action. If it does not surprise the party or win initiative it will fly away in search of easier prey (on its turn)

Poison: DC 15 fort save initial paralyzed for 1 round, secondary none

Charm sting: (Su) If the Ampulex begins its turn in the same space as a paralyzed opponent it may deliver a charm sting, this functons as the spell charm person except that the DC is a flat 15, only effects one enemy at a time and the stung person only becomes indifferent toward them instead of friendly.

Lay eggs:f the Ampulex begins its turn in the same space as a Charmed opponent it may lay eggs it lays them under the skin of the enemy this causes no pain or discomfort. After laying eggs the Ampulex flies away and dies. The eggs incubate for 1d6+4 days before hatching and eating their way out (this deals 2d10 damage) for all intensive purposes the eggs are considered a disease and can be removed in all the same ways (if the party knows they are there)
    That what I got (any changes or improvements are welcome)

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

First off, I love this thread already. :3

Secondly; I'm creating a homebrew spell-casting class called the Rune-rhymer.
    Its essential feature is scribing special 'Runes'; these runes can be kept on the skin to provide multiple minor effects, or expended to produce a greater effect- somewhat similar to the effects of a psionic focus.
    As I've currently conceived of the class, it's a secondary/primary healer, with a good selection of 'toolbox' abilities, some capability as a face, and a few offensive spells.

My questions are as follows:
    1. What would be the best source for effects to duplicate via Runes? Presently, I'm drawing a small number of effects from the Druid spell list, and the majority from the Psion/Wilder power list- however the Rune-rhymer 'casts' these effects as arcane spells.
    Would Psychic Warrior be better? Or perhaps a combination of Psion and Bard?
    2. Presently, the Rhymer has proficiency with a few martial weapons, notably the Longbow and Greataxe; should I eschew this?
    3. A Rhymer, as presently written, can "re-scribe" his runes in combat by using a number of full-round actions equal to the Rune's grade/the spell effect's level (maximum seven), and a Spellcraft check against DC 10+2x Rune Grade. There is presently no limit on this action except for his supply of ink- should I change this? What would be necessary to balance the class if re-scribing is kept?
    4. The Rhymer casts 'expending' effects of his Runes as if they were spells, but employs 'non-expending' uses as SLAs; is this balanced?
    5. The Rhymer's Runes are not affected by armor; is this balanced? Also, Runes cannot be counterspelled- should this be changed?
    6. I'd like specific commentary on the following abilities:
    A. Tale-runes: When scribing their Runes for the day, the Rhymer can choose to link up to three of them into a coherent 'Tale'. Runes linked in this manner activate in succession; the first is activated normally, and the second and third can be activated as free actions the following round.
    B. Pass-rune: A Rhymer of this level can pass one of their Runes (and the continual or non-expending, but not expending, benefits thereof) to a willing ally by touching them; the inked symbol slides across the skin-to-skin contact and onto the appropriate spot on the recipient's flesh.
    C. Runeblade: A Rhymer of thirteenth level or above can choose to transfer the benefit of any of their scribed runes that deals direct HP or ability damage to a melee weapon they wield as a standard action; the benefit so transferred is expended or unexpended as usual, and is considered to be activated when the weapon strikes. Any weapon so imbued deals both its normal damage (including any magical enhancements) and the Rune-damage.
    D. Finger-runes: An eighteenth-level rhymer can scribe any rune normally placed on the hand on one of their fingers; thus, they can make use of up to ten hand-based runes.

For purposes of reference, here is the section on Runes from the unfinished Rhymer class:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Runes:Each day, the Rune-rhymer chooses and scribes a number of Runes on his skin (as per the table in spoiler 01); his Runes known are drawn from the Rhymer lexicon (spoiler 02).
    To unravel the truth and tale of a Rune and scribe it, a Rhymer must have a wisdom score equal to 10+ the Rune's grade; for this purpose, Seed-runes equal one, Runes of First Growing two, Root-runes three, and so on.
    The difficulty class of a saving throw against those Rune effects that require one is equal to 10+ Rune Grade+ the Rhymer's wisdom modifier.
    A Rhymer can only scribe a limited number of Runes to his skin per day, detailed on the table in Spoiler 01; the toxic nature of The Substance and the arcane energies latent within it prohibit greater concentrations until a tolerance is achieved.
    Scribing a rune requires a small amount of The Substance and a tapper-kit (standard equipment for a Rhymer); the process requires approximately ten minutes per each rune to be initially inscribed. Inscribing a Rune deals 1 point of damage per grade of the rune inscribed; a fortitude save against DC 10+ Rune Grade negates the damage.
    A Rhymer does not recieve additional Runes known for having a high Wisdom score; his runes known are determined using the values on the table in Spoiler 01.
    For purposes of qualifying for feats and prestige classes, the Rhymer's arcane caster level is equal to 3/4 class level; Runes of the appropriate grade function as spells of the appropriate level for purposes of qualifying for such.
    Runes have two kinds of ability: expending abilities, which generally cause the Rune to vanish (and necessitate re-scribing to use again) and constant abilities, which are considered usually 'always active' and require no action to use (with some exceptions).
    A Rune-rhymer must concentrate to employ the more spectacular powers of a Rune; whenever using a Rune ability that would expend that Rune, he must make concentration checks as appropriate, as if he were casting a spell. Expending abilities of a Rune cannot, however, be counter-spelled as if they were spells.
    Activating the expending ability of a Rune is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity unless otherwise noted.
    Non-expending or constant abilities of a rune function as Spell-like abilities, and are generally entirely mental actions; activating a non-expending ability or a Rune is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; non-expending abilities cannot be disrupted as spells can be unless otherwise noted.
    All powers of a Rune are subject to spell resistance unless otherwise noted.
    Rune activation is not encumbered by armor as is usual for spells; however, if the area in which the Rune is located is covered by armor, it cannot be re-scribed until the area is exposed.
    Once expended, a Rune can be re-scribed by the rhymer; this requires a number of consecutive full-round actions in combat equal to the Rune's grade, and provokes attacks of opportunity. Re-scribing a rune requires a Spellcraft check against DC 10 + 2x Rune Grade. A rhymer cannot replace an expended Rune with another Rune he did not initially repair; he must re-scribe the original Rune.

Also for purposes of reference, the Runes Known/Max Runes Scribed Table:
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Level|Rune Grade|Runes Known|Runes Scribed
    1|Seed|2|3
    2|-|4|5
    3|-|6|7
    4|First Growing|10|7
    5|-|11|7
    6|-|13|12
    7|Root|15|14
    8|-|17|16
    9|-|20|19
    10|Branch|21|21
    11|-|24|21
    12|-|27|21
    13|Second Growing|28|23
    14|-|30|25
    15|-|32|28
    16|Thousand Seed|36|28
    17|-|38|28
    18|Forest|39|31
    19|-|40|33
    20|-|42|35
    [/table]

The Rune-rhymer is intended to be balanced as compared to the Shaman (OA), Spirit Shaman (CD), Warlock (CA), Shadowcaster (ToM), Binder (ToM), Bard (PHB), and any/all Psionic or Incarnum Classes; in other words, alternative, hybrid/pseudo-melee or second-tier casters.
    Last edited by Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick; 2007-04-06 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Grammatical Error.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    Perhaps Darkvision? Detect Evil? Detect Outsider? True Seeing? A touch attack versus outsiders?
    Aye, Darkvision's ceratinly good for the start. It's outsiderish thing and it fits PrC's literary archetype. Detect outsider is good too, as well as True Seeing.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-04-06 at 01:08 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

I'd like to see a Wizard/Cleric spell (different by level if you think it needs to be) that prevents 1 target from casting spells for as long as the caster concentrates.

Go crazy with anything else that augments the spell/limits it/enhances it or whatever comes to your imagination.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick View Post
    First off, I love this thread already. :3

Secondly; I'm creating a homebrew spell-casting class called the Rune-rhymer.
    Its essential feature is scribing special 'Runes'; these runes can be kept on the skin to provide multiple minor effects, or expended to produce a greater effect- somewhat similar to the effects of a psionic focus.
    As I've currently conceived of the class, it's a secondary/primary healer, with a good selection of 'toolbox' abilities, some capability as a face, and a few offensive spells.

My questions are as follows:
    1. What would be the best source for effects to duplicate via Runes? Presently, I'm drawing a small number of effects from the Druid spell list, and the majority from the Psion/Wilder power list- however the Rune-rhymer 'casts' these effects as arcane spells.
    Would Psychic Warrior be better? Or perhaps a combination of Psion and Bard?
    2. Presently, the Rhymer has proficiency with a few martial weapons, notably the Longbow and Greataxe; should I eschew this?
    3. A Rhymer, as presently written, can "re-scribe" his runes in combat by using a number of full-round actions equal to the Rune's grade/the spell effect's level (maximum seven), and a Spellcraft check against DC 10+2x Rune Grade. There is presently no limit on this action except for his supply of ink- should I change this? What would be necessary to balance the class if re-scribing is kept?
    4. The Rhymer casts 'expending' effects of his Runes as if they were spells, but employs 'non-expending' uses as SLAs; is this balanced?
    5. The Rhymer's Runes are not affected by armor; is this balanced? Also, Runes cannot be counterspelled- should this be changed?
    6. I'd like specific commentary on the following abilities:
    A. Tale-runes: When scribing their Runes for the day, the Rhymer can choose to link up to three of them into a coherent 'Tale'. Runes linked in this manner activate in succession; the first is activated normally, and the second and third can be activated as free actions the following round.
    B. Pass-rune: A Rhymer of this level can pass one of their Runes (and the continual or non-expending, but not expending, benefits thereof) to a willing ally by touching them; the inked symbol slides across the skin-to-skin contact and onto the appropriate spot on the recipient's flesh.
    C. Runeblade: A Rhymer of thirteenth level or above can choose to transfer the benefit of any of their scribed runes that deals direct HP or ability damage to a melee weapon they wield as a standard action; the benefit so transferred is expended or unexpended as usual, and is considered to be activated when the weapon strikes. Any weapon so imbued deals both its normal damage (including any magical enhancements) and the Rune-damage.
    D. Finger-runes: An eighteenth-level rhymer can scribe any rune normally placed on the hand on one of their fingers; thus, they can make use of up to ten hand-based runes.

For purposes of reference, here is the section on Runes from the unfinished Rhymer class:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Runes:Each day, the Rune-rhymer chooses and scribes a number of Runes on his skin (as per the table in spoiler 01); his Runes known are drawn from the Rhymer lexicon (spoiler 02).
    To unravel the truth and tale of a Rune and scribe it, a Rhymer must have a wisdom score equal to 10+ the Rune's grade; for this purpose, Seed-runes equal one, Runes of First Growing two, Root-runes three, and so on.
    The difficulty class of a saving throw against those Rune effects that require one is equal to 10+ Rune Grade+ the Rhymer's wisdom modifier.
    A Rhymer can only scribe a limited number of Runes to his skin per day, detailed on the table in Spoiler 01; the toxic nature of The Substance and the arcane energies latent within it prohibit greater concentrations until a tolerance is achieved.
    Scribing a rune requires a small amount of The Substance and a tapper-kit (standard equipment for a Rhymer); the process requires approximately ten minutes per each rune to be initially inscribed. Inscribing a Rune deals 1 point of damage per grade of the rune inscribed; a fortitude save against DC 10+ Rune Grade negates the damage.
    A Rhymer does not recieve additional Runes known for having a high Wisdom score; his runes known are determined using the values on the table in Spoiler 01.
    For purposes of qualifying for feats and prestige classes, the Rhymer's arcane caster level is equal to 3/4 class level; Runes of the appropriate grade function as spells of the appropriate level for purposes of qualifying for such.
    Runes have two kinds of ability: expending abilities, which generally cause the Rune to vanish (and necessitate re-scribing to use again) and constant abilities, which are considered usually 'always active' and require no action to use (with some exceptions).
    A Rune-rhymer must concentrate to employ the more spectacular powers of a Rune; whenever using a Rune ability that would expend that Rune, he must make concentration checks as appropriate, as if he were casting a spell. Expending abilities of a Rune cannot, however, be counter-spelled as if they were spells.
    Activating the expending ability of a Rune is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity unless otherwise noted.
    Non-expending or constant abilities of a rune function as Spell-like abilities, and are generally entirely mental actions; activating a non-expending ability or a Rune is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; non-expending abilities cannot be disrupted as spells can be unless otherwise noted.
    All powers of a Rune are subject to spell resistance unless otherwise noted.
    Rune activation is not encumbered by armor as is usual for spells; however, if the area in which the Rune is located is covered by armor, it cannot be re-scribed until the area is exposed.
    Once expended, a Rune can be re-scribed by the rhymer; this requires a number of consecutive full-round actions in combat equal to the Rune's grade, and provokes attacks of opportunity. Re-scribing a rune requires a Spellcraft check against DC 10 + 2x Rune Grade. A rhymer cannot replace an expended Rune with another Rune he did not initially repair; he must re-scribe the original Rune.

Also for purposes of reference, the Runes Known/Max Runes Scribed Table:
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Level|Rune Grade|Runes Known|Runes Scribed
    1|Seed|2|3
    2|-|4|5
    3|-|6|7
    4|First Growing|10|7
    5|-|11|7
    6|-|13|12
    7|Root|15|14
    8|-|17|16
    9|-|20|19
    10|Branch|21|21
    11|-|24|21
    12|-|27|21
    13|Second Growing|28|23
    14|-|30|25
    15|-|32|28
    16|Thousand Seed|36|28
    17|-|38|28
    18|Forest|39|31
    19|-|40|33
    20|-|42|35
    [/table]

The Rune-rhymer is intended to be balanced as compared to the Shaman (OA), Spirit Shaman (CD), Warlock (CA), Shadowcaster (ToM), Binder (ToM), Bard (PHB), and any/all Psionic or Incarnum Classes; in other words, alternative, hybrid/pseudo-melee or second-tier casters.
    1. I would actually have to say three sources: there's Forgotten Realms rune magic, and there's the Binder, who scribes a seal and summons a vestige. Those'd be where I'd go to. The other one I'd go to is the Runescarred Berserker, which sounds remarkably similar to what you're looking for.

2. No. As a secondary combattant (like a Bard) instead of a tertiary one (like a wizard), it should have proficiency with a few martial weapons.

3. I would say that the mechanic you have makes sense, particularly since it's limited by a material component.

4. Yes.

5. As long as he doesn't have full casting and it's limited to specific types of armor (say, medium or lighter), I'd say there's no problem there.

6. I'd rather read it as "activate one in the first round; the second automatically activates as a free action on second round; the third automatically activates as a free action on third round." I'd also rather limit the max number in a tale by, say CHA mod as a maximum. Pass-runes look fine, limited to a max number of, say, WIS mod passed maximum. Runeblades and Finger-Runes look fine too; they're of sufficiently high level to not be an issue.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    I'd like to see a Wizard/Cleric spell (different by level if you think it needs to be) that prevents 1 target from casting spells for as long as the caster concentrates.

Go crazy with anything else that augments the spell/limits it/enhances it or whatever comes to your imagination.
    Hmm.. something lke this?

Mental Stiffness
    Illusion [mind effecting]
    Level: Sorc/Wiz 3, Cler 3
    Components: V,S
    Casting time: 1 standard action
    range Close (25 ft +5/2 levels)
    Target: One enemy Spellcaster
    Duration: Concentration
    saving throw: Will negates
    Spell resistanes: Yes

Your enemy feels as though their hands and mouth are stiffened to the point of uselessness. They are unable to cast spells that require verbal or somatic components, nor can they manipulate anything other that the most simple objects with their hand (if they had a weapon, wand or similar object in their hand before the spell the may still use it and have a +4 to any roll to avoid being disarmed). They also cannot speak other than grunts for the duration of the spell.

once again any comments/ critics are welcome

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

1. The Runecaster isn't much help; their spellcasting is +1 of any divine class, and the Rhymer emphatically shouldn't gain, say, Cleric spells. Druid spells maybe, Bard spells yes, Cleric spells definitely no.
    Also, it's a ten-level PrC, so the considerations are somewhat different there.
    Rune Magic in general might work okay, but I'd rather not lift it wholesale.
    The Rhymer already uses a limited form of Binder-like mechanic, in the form of three 'Greatrunes' that permanently grant some of the capabilities of another class, gained at three widely separated levels.
    There is some merit to looking over vestige-granted powers for rune inspiration; thanks there.
    I don't have the necessary source-book for Runescarred Berserker; and I'm also not sure it fits the flavor of the class...they're not directly eager to engage in combat.

3. The material component is pretty inexpensive/simple to make, however..in fact, here's the relevant ability:
    Substance: Inscribing a Rune requires the application of a special material known as 'The Substance'. Composed of a mixture of vitriol, oak galls, and other ingredients less well-known, its precise composition is a secret among Rhymers. Creating a flask of The Substance requires a DC 10 Craft (Alchemy) check, and can only be attempted by a Rhymer. One flask is sufficient for the application of 100 Seed-runes; each additional grade of Rune requires an additional application (thus, only around fourteen Forest-Runes can be scribed with such a flask). The material components of The Substance cost 10gp per flask. The Substance is embedded into the skin through the many fine needles of the Tapper-kit.
    While the basic composition of the Substance is always the same, various components may be added to it for the composition of specific Runes (for instance, Cinnabar or Nightshade for the Rune of Twilight).

6. That does make considerably more sense, actually, thanks.

I'm starting to think this is beyond the scale of this thread by a bit; I'm going to go ahead and complete it, give it its own thread, and submit it for more detailed comment there...thanks for all your help.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Well the Runescarred Berserker actually carves runes into his flesh that release spells at a later time. It sounds remarkably like what you're trying to do, just more self-mutilating.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post

===Arcane Mind-Block===
    Enchantment (Mind-Affecting)
    Level: Cleric 4, Sorceror/Wizard 4
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close
    Target: One creature
    Duration: Concentration + 3 rounds
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

You concentrate and suppress the magical abilities of your target. Your target forget show to cast spells for as long as you concentrate on the target, plus three rounds, making it unable to cast spells or use spell-like abilities.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Those Channeled spells in your Wiki are brilliant - but in our PnP group, I'm 9/10 of the time the party's divine caster. What about some Channeled healing/buffing/debuffing/necromantic spells?

Also, what about some feats that would allow a non-cleric the use of certain staple healing spells a token number of times per day, but more importantly would also allow the use of Wands/Scrolls of those spells? If I could convince one of our DMs to let me use something like that, maybe I could finally get to use something out of ToB:BoNS, instead of ripping it up as CoDZILLA all the time.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Could some of you guy look this class i made over and till me what you think?
    The Singing Knight

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

I'm making some small tweaks to the Half-Giant as presented in the XPH- mostly flavor, but I'd like to make one change to rules; namely, their favored class (in the vein of all my homebrew races) is either Psychic Warrior or Totemist.
    In view of this, I might be replacing their naturally psionic ability with an extra point of essentia (as Dusklings) for those Half-Giants who choose Totemist as their favored class.
    I don't think that's too powerful for their LA, obviously, given that it's dandy with the Dusklings, but I could be wrong.
    Also; should nominally 'non-psionic' Half-Giants keep the stomp power?
    I'm leaning towards 'no', but having never gamed extensively with Half-Giants, I don't know how much use people get out of it.

So: are my tweaks reasonable?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick View Post
    I'm making some small tweaks to the Half-Giant as presented in the XPH- mostly flavor, but I'd like to make one change to rules; namely, their favored class (in the vein of all my homebrew races) is either Psychic Warrior or Totemist.
    In view of this, I might be replacing their naturally psionic ability with an extra point of essentia (as Dusklings) for those Half-Giants who choose Totemist as their favored class.
    I don't think that's too powerful for their LA, obviously, given that it's dandy with the Dusklings, but I could be wrong.
    Also; should nominally 'non-psionic' Half-Giants keep the stomp power?
    I'm leaning towards 'no', but having never gamed extensively with Half-Giants, I don't know how much use people get out of it.

So: are my tweaks reasonable?
    They are. You can even seen an example of a psionic/incarnum based race here.