New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Aasimar + tieflings = ?

Ok, there's something thats been bugging me recently. I was playing Planescape Torment and a question cropped up. What would you call the spawn of an Aasimar and a tiefling?

Sorry if the answer to this is ovrewhelmingly obvious but I've only ever played computer RPGs, so I guess I'm stupid because of that. O and is this the right forum for this question?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Aasimar + tieflings = ?

i guess human i think they cancel out each other
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Tis the right forum. I have no idea what you'd call it. Why Mr. Half-good would be mating with Mrs. Half-evil is beyond me, but I'd blame it on their human halves - the child would be yet *another* kind of half-human, and further testament that humans should stop breeding with everything that moves.

EDIT: Nah, you'd have to come up with some new name. It'd be 1/2 human, 1/4 Aasimar, 1/4 Tiefling still... if they cancelled each other out, you'd be left with half a baby. Obviously.
    Last edited by Ditto; 2007-06-16 at 08:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

4. - Top - End - #4

WhiteWizardGirl

There are four valid answers. The first I propose is a human. The fluff on Aasimar and Tielings is that they are mostly human with a bit of distant good/evil outsider ancestry. Another bit of fluff is that the traits can appear seemingly out of nowhere from parents that, besides one of them having this same ancestry, are ordinary humans. However, many people interperet Tieflings as only one step removed from a full-blown half-fiend, if even that.

The next easiest would be that the offspring takes after one parent more than the other, resulting in an Aasimar or a Tiefling.

Otherwise, it's homebrew time. I might actually whip something up, though it'd be based on my own Tiefling/Aasimar homebrews.

Edit: As for what you'd call it... unless was human or it displayed enough of both traits or had something else obviously special about it to set it apart, it would probably be labeled either a Tiefling or an Aasimar by characters in-game, even if it was a hybrid. What to actually call it to be more clear, I have no idea. I have no idea where the names Tiefling, Aasimar, or Genasi come from in the first place.
    Last edited by Dark Knight Renee; 2007-06-16 at 08:58 PM. Reason: adding something
    Quote:
    One of the hardest parts of DMing is to give players a reason to railroad themselves.
    (Originally Posted by Rockphed)

Quote:
    You're making a reasonable and rational argument here, instead of pandering to the extremists on either side. Stop it. I'm pretty sure that's a banning offense on the internet.
    (Originally Posted by Swordguy)

5. - Top - End - #5

I don't think it's overwhelmingly obvious...rules on exotic cross-breeds generally just aren't out there, unless the designers decided to make one up. If they did in this case, I don't know about it...

Assuming there isn't something lurking in the depths of the monster books, the answer is DM's choice. It wouldn't make much sense to lose the native outsider traits and revert to a human. The easiest thing would be for no offspring to be possible. You could have the children be some Aasimar and some Tieflings, which wouldn't make all that much sense, but is still easier than the other option of homebrewing a hybrid race.

(I'd note that a half-elf cross with either human or elf is supposed to produce mechanically pure-breed children, if I remember right.)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Ooooh Oooooh! I know this one!!!

Mongrelfolk, Complete Destiny! (not really but makes some perverted sense)

7. - Top - End - #7

Why does everytone think every race can cross breed with another? Look at the mule... they are sterile.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Races of Faerun, page 112, says
    The offspring of two planetouched is always a planetouched. Mixed-heritage planetouched of this sort take after one or the other parent (seemingly equal chances) but carry the traits of the other parent, which may show up in their own children.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Leroy
    Oscar: I'm bakin' fireworks.
    Oscar: Something's different about these mashed potatoes.
    Emma: That's because it's RICE.
    Brent: That's right, Wes is nuts. This coming from a guy who once punched a skunk.
    Oscar: He had it comin'.
    The world needs more Corner Gas.

9. - Top - End - #9

WhiteWizardGirl

Aasimar and Tieflings are a mite differant in the fluff, though. At least as I read it, they're mostly human and can breed with humans normally (with some planetouched cropping up randomly in a family tree over generations). Why the two couldn't breed under those asumptions is a mystery.

Granted, I can't remember whether this fluff is standard stuff or setting specific. Faerun probably (see above).
    Last edited by Dark Knight Renee; 2007-06-16 at 09:18 PM.
    Quote:
    One of the hardest parts of DMing is to give players a reason to railroad themselves.
    (Originally Posted by Rockphed)

Quote:
    You're making a reasonable and rational argument here, instead of pandering to the extremists on either side. Stop it. I'm pretty sure that's a banning offense on the internet.
    (Originally Posted by Swordguy)

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Joe View Post
    Why does everytone think every race can cross breed with another? Look at the mule... they are sterile.
    Hee-hee, half-elves are sterile. Its not as funny for some reason when you think about half-orcs, maybe its easy to think that its a good thing. But the halflings don't seem to have any problems. Hrmm, I think that if you bar the "sterility" idea and the "= human" notion, then you might actually get something with human, good outsider, and bad outsider stuff. Why not have darkness and/or light as SA? That'd be just about it, unfortunately, except maybe little horns and vestigial wings.

edit: Is PS: Torment in faerun?
    Last edited by nooblade; 2007-06-16 at 09:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

In my opinion, the baby would explode due to conflicting good/evil halves. Assuming both trait passed, of course.

12. - Top - End - #12

1: The baby would either inherit one or the other.

2: The baby would not inherit either, and be simply born a human. Simple as that.

3: The baby would not be born.

4: Freaky homebrew.

That's what I think would happen, in order of likelyhood.

Avatar and sig-banner by Mr_Saturn.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vespe Ratavo View Post
    1: The baby would either inherit one or the other.

2: The baby would not inherit either, and be simply born a human. Simple as that.

3: The baby would not be born.

4: Freaky homebrew.

That's what I think would happen, in order of likelyhood.
    Hmmm well I don't want to kill cat-girls today but it seem that this order would be more accurate

1a: Freaky homebrew

1b: No baby would be born (parents are sterile)

2a: The baby would either inherit one or the other.

2b: The baby would not inherit either, and be simply born a human. Simple as that.

1a and 1b are both are far more likely then 2a and 2b.

I'm leaning towards Freaky homebrew as both combination of genes would be past down to the child. If both genes are incompatible with each other the result of not having a child would be far more likely then having a human or one trait or the other.
    Last edited by Suzaku; 2007-06-16 at 09:38 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nooblade View Post
    edit: Is PS: Torment in faerun?
    Officially, I don't think so. Unofficially, they've been putting Planescape material into the Forgotten Realms setting for a while now - especially in PC games - so I think that Faerun technically is in Planescape.

A friend of mine played a half-celestial half-fiend druid once. We just gave her all the features of both templates and had the level adjustments stack. The +8 level adjustment kind of completely gimped her until we were in epic levels, though. I'd do the same for a tiefling/ aasimar - give it the stat modifications (the charisma bonus and penalty would cancel out)and special abilities of both races, with a +2 level adjustment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    Officially, I don't think so. Unofficially, they've been putting Planescape material into the Forgotten Realms setting for a while now - especially in PC games - so I think that Faerun technically is in Planescape.

A friend of mine played a half-celestial half-fiend druid once. We just gave her all the features of both templates and had the level adjustments stack. The +8 level adjustment kind of completely gimped her until we were in epic levels, though. I'd do the same for a tiefling/ aasimar - give it the stat modifications (the charisma bonus and penalty would cancel out)and special abilities of both races, with a +2 level adjustment.
    Ok what about Lesser Aasimar and Lesser Tiefling?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

You could wind up with this.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    Ok what about Lesser Aasimar and Lesser Tiefling?
    I'd make it a +1 LA, using the same 0 = 1/2 math as is used for level 0 spells.

Also, AtomicKitKat wins a free tieflimar.
    Last edited by SurlySeraph; 2007-06-16 at 09:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

There is always rule 0 for any campaign.

The Players Guide to Faerun introuduces +0 Planetouched.

IMO there are three ways to consider the planetouched. Normally it's the planar bloodline thinning out. Taking two opposing templates could weaken each other enough to do the same thing and make the child just planetouched or it could make the child a half-fiend or half celestial along the lines of a celestial or fiendish planar union with a prime material creature from the Monster Manual.

So Plane touched +0 works best IMO taking both templates but without all the planar aspect bennies of a two +0 templates:

Humanoid whatever race Planetouched and not Native Born Outsiders with Darkvision, +2 Dex, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +0 Char, Light 1/Day, Darkness 1/Day, +2 to Bluff, Hide, Listen and Spot checks, Cold and Electricity Resistance 5 and either No other Elemental Resistances or Acid and Fire Resistance 2 and carrying a physical trait of each ancestry.

Taking the level in one side to gain outsider benefits negates the benefits of the other heritage as you are effectively purging it from the being unless you want the worms of stack celestial and fiendish templates on each other.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2007-06-16 at 10:51 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also, AtomicKitKat wins a free tieflimar.
    Teifimar? It's obviously an Aasiling.
    Last edited by thehothead; 2007-06-17 at 01:12 AM.
    I'm not lazy, just efficient

Town-ness

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by thehothead View Post
    Teifimar? It's obviously an Aasiling.
    Yes. I vote for Assling.

Now:

Fiendish or Celestial creatures who mate with other creatures do not produce sterile offspring. Half-fiends/Half-Celestials are quite fertile. Their outsider parent is quite magic, mundane genetic rules of breeding do not apply.

Tieflings or Aasimar are many generations removed from even half-outsiders. They are manifesting recessive traits that have lain dormant in their family for a long time. Their children will likely not have those traits. Even an aasimar who mates with an aasimar typically has a human child. An aasimar and a tiefling would be similar, although there would be a small chance the child would be either.

(Other notes: In D&D, half elves are not sterile. Neither are half-orcs, as proven by the town of Palischuk.)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    What about the tail?

Where does that fit in?

Was one of the parents half-dragon?

22. - Top - End - #22

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    Yes. I vote for Assling.

Now:

Fiendish or Celestial creatures who mate with other creatures do not produce sterile offspring. Half-fiends/Half-Celestials are quite fertile. Their outsider parent is quite magic, mundane genetic rules of breeding do not apply.

Tieflings or Aasimar are many generations removed from even half-outsiders. They are manifesting recessive traits that have lain dormant in their family for a long time. Their children will likely not have those traits. Even an aasimar who mates with an aasimar typically has a human child. An aasimar and a tiefling would be similar, although there would be a small chance the child would be either.

(Other notes: In D&D, half elves are not sterile. Neither are half-orcs, as proven by the town of Palischuk.)
    indeed, biology counts as science and is thus ignored completely, magic: it makes everything work.

23. - Top - End - #23

d&d wiki had a homebrew race about them, called them "forbidden".
    although that specific version was rubbish there was a valid point, because of the veriety involved with their heritage it worked on a "make your own sunday" style race. you chose one attribute (horrible uglyness) which gave you a minus to the score, then chose a positive (negative energy affinity) which evened the score, by adapting this you could create a scale allowing for different LAs in accordance to peoples tastes. someone who dispises LA could have a perfect balance, someone who doesn't mind LA could have it a bit more powerful etc.
    but as i said the one on d&d wiki was rubbish
    I'm back... possibly... any minute now... brb.

Horny Halfing Avatar by Anna Molly

24. - Top - End - #24

I believe that the result would be something like a Draenei (link to description and a few pictures). They are a perfect mix of something both holy and infernal at the same time, and I don't see why it wouldn't work in D&D too.

For racial traits, however, I have no clue at all.
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Setra View Post
    What about the tail?

Where does that fit in?

Was one of the parents half-dragon?
    Most fiends have tails...
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Most fiends have tails...
    I reject your statement as reality.

Well honestly that kinda slipped my mind for a bit.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, actually, aren't gears some sort of biological constructs?

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Ok, there's something thats been bugging me recently. I was playing Planescape Torment and a question cropped up. What would you call the spawn of an Aasimar and a tiefling?
    A Mary Sue?

. . . sorry, you'll probably only get that if you've read as many bad fan-fictions as I have. ;)

- Saph

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Faerun is in Planescape, as are all Primes. Some have become 'cut off', though.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Setra View Post
    What about the tail?

Where does that fit in?
    ...do you really want to know that?
    "'To know, to do, and to keep silent.' Crowley had the first two down pat."