New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Default Anyone know any good monster PC rpgs?

Pretty much what it says on the title. I've been wanting to play a game with weak monsters (like kobolds and goblins, or stranger things), but nothing seems to work really well.

Kobolds ate my baby has annoying mechanics, pathfinder and d&d are too high powered, and I'm bad at making rpgs.

So, does anyone know any games that could help for this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Anyone know any good monster PC rpgs?

Palladium Fantasy has monster play available as a core aspect... the mechanics are meh, but they're there.

You might also look at older editions of AD&D, or, my go-to game for "I want to play a thing without having to fight the mechanics", Savage Worlds. It would be relatively easy to create a kobold or goblin race, assuming the fantasy supplements haven't already done that for you.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

There are also a few games (that I've admittedly not played) such as Window which might prove useful simply because they're so flexible. A rather interesting choice might be Paladin. I'd rather not link you directly to a pdf, but Google "Paladin RPG game" and you'll find it easily. And yes, I see the redundancy.
    Last edited by Jenrock; 2016-03-15 at 02:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I suppose Lost Souls counts - usually everyone is playing some form of undead (it is possible to play a living medium).
    It is pushing it as everyone is an ex-human rather than a genuine monster, but it just about slips in.

3.0 D&D had the book Savage Species which was all about playing other races.

And then we come to BECMI/RC D&D - or some of the expansions for it:
    Gaz 10: The Orcs of Thar - Orcs, Kobolds, Goblins, Ogres etc - the basic monstrous humanoids
    PC1: Tall Tales of the Wee Folk - sprites and other small fey
    PC2: Top Ballista - set on a flying city this had a weird race selection, many of which are not even in 3.5: pegaturs, nagpa, gnomes, gremlins
    PC3: The Sea People - Tritons, Shark Kin, Merfolk, sea giants etc
    PC4: Night Howlers - all sorts of lycanthropes, though you also had to be a more conventional (demi-)human as well.

(Yes, gnomes were not playable before PC3 in BECMI, on the other hand they got Time Travel.)
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2016-03-15 at 02:17 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

In Toon you can be whatever

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Kobold

Monsterhearts does this, except not as weak monsters. You're generally pretty hardcore (it's a PbtA system, after all). But it could work if you scale up everything else.

It achieves the general feel you may want, though. (The whole world seeks your death.)

It is very narrative-based, though, and so low on numerical crunchyness and high on conceptual crunchiness. (The latter is much more nebulous and can be hard to get used to, but is a lot more flexible.)