New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Your favo(u)rite D&D edition?

As the title says. Which do you prefer?

Mine is probably 4e. All PCs are heroes from level 1, movement and actions in combat, pretty balanced but still enough options etc.

I enjoy both 3.5e for the cool options and 5e because it is just simple and balanced but 4th is unique and awesome from level 1.

Curious what you all think
    Last edited by PoeticDwarf; 2016-04-03 at 02:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Your favo(u)rite D&D edition?

2nd edition due to that is what I originally played. 3.5 runs a very close second
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Your favo(u)rite D&D edition?

5e. 3x is a #s game & 2nd has THACO
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

3.5, for the sheer number of options available.

Seriously, go to dndtools or something and look at the number of pages of classes, feats, and spells. A few of them are duplicates (updates in later books and such), but most of them are unique. Then remember that dndtools doesn't include Dragon Magazine content, which has a 100 or so issues for 3.5 and 3.0 (which is compatible with 3.5).
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2016-04-03 at 05:38 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

2e. Nothing else gives the "Classic D&D" feel like it does (and it's better made than 1e)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

5e. 2e-ish simplicity, 3e-ish options and 4e-ish balance wothout sacrificing too much of each. Its also the one i get a good chance to own all the books for, what with my age at the time of previous editions and more controlled rate of releases.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #7

3.5 and it's younger brother Pathfinder.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The Rules Cyclopedia. Just the right amount of rules, interesting character paths and clear guidelines on what players are supposed to be doing and what kinds of stories we're creating. Also a surprising amount of coherent world information in the rules themselves, resulting in a world that is pretty weird without going full-on surreal.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

B/X, the rules light D&D. Specifically retroclones like Basic Fantasy or Lamentations of the Flame Princess that replace the calculation of attack rolls with something sensible. With a different magic system it would even be my favorite RPG.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

BExCM/Cyclopedia for me (I don't really think either Immortals rules set is that good).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

5e, then pathfinder, then 4e.

5e and 4e because they're the most accessible/simple for my friends, and pathfinder because complexity is good sometimes.

12. - Top - End - #12

ClericGuy

1e, primarily because I've never played 2e or higher. (Yes, I still mess around with 1e).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

AD&D 2e with Player's Options. It's a versatile system with a modicum of sense and somewhat workable balance design (with a lot more organic XP/leveling systems), most significantly lacking in the free customizability, but Player's Options does at least bring some customization onto the classes themselves, and there are multi/dual classes. The system is full of all sorts of cool, weird stuff. I particularly like the spell design: very powerful but very dangerous. Be it calculating angles for bolts on the fly or praying against the system shock (or for it, if Polymorphing an enemy), spells have the sorts of strengths and weaknesses you'd probably expect them to, and things are much less homogenous than later in general.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #14

It's a tie depending on what my goals are for the campaign. Either 5th edition or Pathfinder.

5th edition replaces 1st to 2nd for me and Pathfinder replaces 3rd through 4th.
    “You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies - all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.” Davis. -Steve Martin- Grand Canyon

Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

The short and easy answer is whichever edition the people you want to play with use!
    Longer answer:
    From a used book store I recently picked up "The Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game Rules and Adventures Book" which I am guessing came from a 1994 basic set. As a Dungeon Master (unless the players insist otherwise) I would probably choose those rules as they are close to the rules I memorized in the 1970's and look real easy to learn, plus the 1e modules I have look easily compatable. While I still remember 1e pretty well, I simply don't know 2e, 4e, and the post 1977 and pre 1994 "Basic" editions so I can't speak on them. The 3e and 3.5 rules just have way to many options to keep track of, so all else being equal, as a player I would probably chose 5e because it looks close enough to the 1970's rules I remember for me to jump into. Playing a "Champion" Fighter looks nicely rules light while still being effective, plus compared to Oe and 1e, more of the other 1st level classes look powerfull enough to survive more then a few sessions.
    But really whatever the edition, if it has dragons in dungeons I want to play it!
    Last edited by 2D8HP; 2016-04-04 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spelling

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

2e for me. Zeb and Greenwood. Them's my dudes.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

1st place: 4e by far. It's the edition I've run the longest*, and been the happiest with.

2nd place: Close, but I'll go with BECMI/RC/BX ... the "Basic" line.

3rd place: Like I said, close - AD&D 1e. Yeah, it's wonky, but it's what I grew up on. The adventures are top notch.

4th place is probably 5e.

I don't really care for 2e or any of the 3.x's, so they're down at the bottom.

* Yeah, that's weird, but I think it's accurate? No idea; I've been playing since 1982ish, but I don't think I've run continual campaigns without significant breaks as long as I have with 4e. In the 80's and 90's we experimented around with all kinds of games; Marvel FASERIP in the 80's and Earthdawn in the 90's, for example. I ran 3.x on and off for its entire lifespan as a product, but was dissatisfied so I ran a whole lot of other stuff, too. With 4e, we're mainly doing one-shots with other systems instead of longer campaigns.
    Last edited by obryn; 2016-04-04 at 01:11 PM.
    PAD - 357,549,260

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

4th > 3rd/pf > 2nd ed > 5th ed

4th ed gives the best "adventurers doing adventurer things" experience, it could use some cleaning up, but the same can be said of all D&D editions and 4th ed does what I want from D&D the best and has the cleanest system to boot.

3rd/pf is probably the game i have have the most issues with but with the right group we can make it work and the game's options are it's strong suite

2nd is a mess, but a familiar one and does the weak/nobodies who strap up their boots and grab some old somewhat-sharp piece of metal and adventure. works for the more lethal games.

5th is probably the game i'm least familiar with but also the one i currently have the least amount of issues with. problem is, i don't have any motivation to learn more about the game. it's so... bland, so vanilla, so safe... and doesn't really do anything i want in particular that i don't already have. the game doesn't do anything to pique my interest.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

3.X

I love the complexity, I love the lore, and it all just sorta 'clicks' with me. I don't particularly like PF because it made too many fiddly little tweaks and dropped the ceiling on maximum power accross the board. I -may- occasionally backport a piece here and there, though I haven't found anything worth the effort yet.

4e is too simple and I'm not much familiar with the rest to make judgements.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

1E.

Warts and all.

21. - Top - End - #21

DrowGuy

My favorite edition at the moment is 5th, with 4th behind - they're the editions I've had the most experience with, 4e as a player and 5e as a GM. Great times on both regards.
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

It's basically a tie for me.

On one hand there's Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st and 2nd edition which I consider as being parts of the same basic edition since they're similar enough to use most rules interchangeably. I like its complexity and its options, as well as the fact that it's modular and customisable enough to change things out without breaking anything.

On the other hand there's Classic Dungeons & Dragons, as embodied by the B/X, BECM and Rules Cyclopedia, which has a few differences I don't quite like but I enjoy the system as-is for its surprising level of elegance. That it's similar enough to the above for certain spells, rules, magic items, monsters, and other such to be used as an interchangeable note doesn't hurt.

Naturally my current approach is to take some cues from the B/X retroclone Labyrinth Lord (and more specifically its Advanced Edition Companion) and merge in some of the ideas there to create a hybrid.

I have a close second place adoration for the Original 1974 Dungeons & Dragons, and think it's a pretty underrated classic, especially when used with the Greyhawk and Blackmoor supplements. Granted at that point it's basically the missing third piece of the above puzzle given its own benefits.

I like some of the stuff that 5th edition does, but it has a few minor annoyances that stop me from really getting into it.

I also have a distant fourth place like for Pathfinder, albeit far more for its lore and background information than for its actual rules at this point.
    Last edited by Scots Dragon; 2016-04-04 at 07:50 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Of just D&D:

2e > RC > 1e > 4e > 3.x

5e I haven't played, aside from the early playtest stuff.

2e improved on the design of 1e, clarifying a lot, clearing up some of the weirder bits, and creating more options, without overwhelming you. Rules Cyclopedia is simply a joy to read and gather information from. 1e has more warts than I want, and some wonky bits of logic, combined with a relative inflexibility compared to 2e. 4e I do not enjoy making characters, but it plays smoothly and is relatively solid design. 3.x is an annoying mess.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

2e's the edition I started with and still my favorite. It's certainly not without its flaws, but I have the most fun with it, both as a player and DM. It also had a vast library of great setting material to draw from. As a bonus, material from 1e and BX/BECMI/RC (up to 20th level anyway) can be used with 2e with very little effort to convert.

5e has been a pleasant surprise thus far, and is my second-favorite. I'm not as fond of it as 2e, but it has a lot of the classic "feel" despite the mechanics being quite different. It's easy to use, quick, and flows well, too. In some ways it's even easier to DM; 2e didn't really have much of anything in the way of encounter-balancing guidelines, for instance.

While I've played some BX/BECMI/RC modules, I've never played a game with BECMI/RC characters or rules, so I can't truly evaluate them. I've never used Holmes Basic at all.

Never liked 3.X or 4th, for a variety of different reasons. (It'd take too long to get into all my gripes with either edition, so I'll just leave it there for now.)
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Tough question... If I had to choose, I'd say 5th edition when DMing and 3.5 when playing. 4e's great too, but the system requires a number of tweaks to make it work.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

26. - Top - End - #26

3.5 for the heavy customization allowed for characters, monsters and just about everything! I love the way you're invited in 3.5 to really go under the hood and not just "refluff" but really change the way something works, so THIS ogre isn't like THAT ogre and so-on.

27. - Top - End - #27

HalflingPirate

5e is my favorite, 3.x is a close second, but I started with 3rd. 4e is like the star wars prequels of D&D, a lot of cool ideas with poor execution, and very few redeemable qualities.

Or you could say its the Aquaman of D&D for the comic fans.
    Last edited by EvilestWeevil; 2016-04-05 at 01:27 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

5e. I dislike the D&D line in general, but I've found 5e more tolerable than most.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    5e. I dislike the D&D line in general, but I've found 5e more tolerable than most.
    Heresy!
    (actually while I still look forward to playing D&D for a long time I've wanted to play Pendragon even more and while I don't really remember or care about the rules, the Castle Falkenstien setting looks great)
    But if you don't like D&D what is the attraction of "Order of the Stick"?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Pathfinder metaphorically. 3E technically.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.