New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default I'm not entirely sure I understand bonus spells...

Is there a minmum level you have to be, or can a first level wizard with 18 Int really cast level 4 spells? If so, that makes it possible to qualify for the prestige class Master Tranmogrifist at second level. (Although, since it's centered around Polymorph, which has an HD restriction, it;s kinda useless to take it then.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: I'm not entirely sure I understand bonus spells...

If you can cast spells of the correct level already, or the "Spells per Day" line has 0 for that level, then you can cast bonus spells of that level. Otherwise, you can't cast those bonus spells.
    Elina d'Lyrandar, Bard 4/Dragonmark Heir 4/Windwright Captain 5/Storm Sentry 2

"Arise, my children. Only the honor of a paladin is unbreakable...... even by death itself." -Soon, OOTS #449

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: I'm not entirely sure I understand bonus spells...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics....ndSpellcasters

In addition to having a high ability score, a spellcaster must be of high enough class level to be able to cast spells of a given spell level.
    Note the bard:
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm
    At level 2, he has 0 level 1 spell slots. He knows 2 level 1 spells, with the following proviso:
    1. Provided the bard has a high enough Charisma score to have a bonus spell of this level.
    At the same level, he has <blank> level 2 spell slots. He knows <blank> level 2 spells. Regardless of his charisma, he does not know, and therefore can not cast, any spells of level 2 or higher.
    Last edited by Corolinth; 2007-06-25 at 09:41 PM.