New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Regarding Obtain Familiar...

So, I'm making a Human Warlock (Level 12) for a campaign and I wanted to add lovely flavour to him by giving him a Pseudodragon familiar.

Does Obtain Familiar and Improved Familiar (Level 3 and level 9 feat, respectively) work for Warlock?

Also, if so, using Spell Share, can the Warlock cast Giant Size (Wu Jen) from a Scroll onto the Familiar only?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Regarding Obtain Familiar...

No, a warlock cannot gain the benefit of Obtain Familiar, as the feat requires an arcane caster level. If it just required a caster level without a caster type, then the warlock could take Obtain Familiar.

With that said, I think it is well within the flavor of the Warlock to have a familiar, so it wouldn't be out there to house rule an exception to the normal caster level rule.

I'm not certain if you can use Share Spell when using a Spell Completion or Spell Trigger item, though, as using a magic item is a different type of action from actually casting the spell.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2007-06-28 at 03:54 PM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alright. Thanks. I should be able to get it house-ruled in for Obtain Familiar and I'll see more into the Share Spell thing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

If RAW and the path to the most fun clash, fun always wins.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    No, a warlock cannot gain the benefit of Obtain Familiar, as the feat requires an arcane caster level. If it just required a caster level without a caster type, then the warlock could take Obtain Familiar.
    Wait, Warlocks aren't arcane? I thought they were... If they're not then WotC need (another) slap for printing them in Complete Arcane(!!!!!).
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

6. - Top - End - #6

I have to disagree with Shhalahr Windrider.

Warlocks are an arcane caster and they do possess an arcane caster level. They do NOT have the ability to cast spells of any level so feats that require the ability to cast X level spells won't work, but something that relies on caster level will work.

And if you have a familiar and the required caster level, you can take the Improved Familiar feat as well.
    The easy I do before breakfast,
    The difficult I do all day long,
    The impossible achieved during the workweek,
    Miracles performed when possible.
    People call me the Fixer,
    and I am here to help you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fixer's Guide to Neutrality
    Fixer's Fighter Fix
    (Campaign) Characters:
    Searching For... Goldenrod
    Survival... Gelder

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
    Warlocks are an arcane caster and they do possess an arcane caster level. They do NOT have the ability to cast spells of any level so feats that require the ability to cast X level spells won't work, but something that relies on caster level will work.
    Meh. I think I got confused with the Shadowcaster rules, which do have that "qualify for generic caster level, but not specific caster level" thing going for them.

So, yeah, though it's not exactly explicitly stated as an arcane caster level, a Warlock's caster level is clearly treated as such by the text.

Sorry 'bout that.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.