New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Poison, I don't want to break this chain...

Cutting right to the question.

Most members of my dearest party wear gloves, magical and not magical.

The doorknob is poisoned. What happens when one of them touches the doorknob?

I'm planning NOT to count him as if he contacted poison, but wherever he touches next, he'll spread the poison there. I hope he doesn't drink a potion with his poisoned glove, or gives one of his buddies a hand... ...snicker..
    FUGO ERGO SUM
    I run; therefore I am.

http://demlikposeti.com

My Rincewind avatar by the Dr.Bath, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Miko is made of fail, fail and error, error and sins, and an almost fanatical devotion to the 12 gods...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Poison, I don't want to break this chain...

Cutting right to the question.

Most members of my dearest party wear gloves, magical and not magical.

The doorknob is poisoned. What happens when one of them touches the doorknob?

I'm planning NOT to count him as if he contacted poison, but wherever he touches next, he'll spread the poison there. I hope he doesn't drink a potion with his poisoned glove, or gives one of his buddies a hand... ...snicker..
    What kind of Poison is it? I'm assuming contact, but if it's injury, then things are much different.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martyboy74 View Post
    What kind of Poison is it? I'm assuming contact, but if it's injury, then things are much different.
    Why would I, or anyone smear a doorknob with injury poison, pray tell??
    FUGO ERGO SUM
    I run; therefore I am.

Miko is made of fail, fail and error, error and sins, and an almost fanatical devotion to the 12 gods...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

cover the doorknob in many, many very small needles.

People have been assassinated in the past by poisons that were on needles embedded in the sealing wax on a letter.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

It could work if the doorknob was sharp enough...

I'd suggest you give the character that opens the door a 20% probability that he'll poison himself with the glove every time he does something with his hands and that the poison remains effective for a max of two hours. Also drop the save DC a bit since the ammount of poison has been reduced.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

If it is contact poison, you have to decide whether to have it seep through the glove or hurt the next person he touches. (I say hurt the next person.) This can get kinda confusing, so I will rule it that it loses potenty after 2 touches. So if you touch a cloth, and use the cloth to wipe a lamp, and someone else without gloves picks up the lamp, they will not get poisioned. You also have to decide if it is magical or non-magical poison, and if it is magical, non-magical gloves do nothing.

Edit: Kinda Ninja-ed by 5 ppl!
    Last edited by asqwasqw; 2007-06-28 at 03:08 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    cover the doorknob in many, many very small needles.

People have been assassinated in the past by poisons that were on needles embedded in the sealing wax on a letter.
    Well if that was the case, I wouldn't ask the question emphasizing the gloves.
    FUGO ERGO SUM
    I run; therefore I am.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by The SRD
    One dose of poison smeared on a weapon or some other object affects just a single target. A poisoned weapon or object retains its venom until the weapon scores a hit or the object is touched (unless the poison is wiped off before a target comes in contact with it). Any poison smeared on an object or exposed to the elements in any way remains potent until it is touched or used.
    So yes, the poison will spread, but can only be on one object at any time.

As for the comment about the gloves, they could've been part of a set of armour, and thus would've protected him.
    Last edited by martyboy74; 2007-06-28 at 03:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

See what happens next: he does something that would result in the poison rubbing off (like, combat or lots of looting), he touches a party member's skin, he touches an opponent's skin, or he takes a leak.

10. - Top - End - #10

This is 100% GM call area.

For me, I would decide if I wanted the poison to be stuck to the knob or not. For ease of bookkeeping, I would vote that if the poison has only one use, it stays on the knob. If it affects everyone that touches the knob, it will be on the person's hand for 1d4 rounds and at a save DC-6 from the original potency for there being less of it. After that it simply gets 'dried off' or something.
    The easy I do before breakfast,
    The difficult I do all day long,
    The impossible achieved during the workweek,
    Miracles performed when possible.
    People call me the Fixer,
    and I am here to help you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fixer's Guide to Neutrality
    Fixer's Fighter Fix
    (Campaign) Characters:
    Searching For... Goldenrod
    Survival... Gelder

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I would say that gloves give you a circumstance modifier to your fort save to resist the poison, say +2 for cloth gloves, +4 for leather, and +6 for gauntlets. The fact is that the poison can still seep through, but you'll be exposed to much less of the poison so you are less likely to be affected by it.

Contact poison on the door knob wouldn't be a great adventurer deterant, as adventurers always wear gloves, in such a dangerous profession hand protection is a given.
    Last edited by TheOOB; 2007-06-28 at 04:42 PM.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LotharBot View Post
    blah, blah blah, or he takes a leak.
    That would be the most embarrassing death EVER!
    Great Maps courtesy of Tantolian Map Factory. See some of his works here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=13
    http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ket/TOB-MC.jpg

13. - Top - End - #13

It could always be inhaled poison (if it was recently applied), in which case, it would be inhaled next sneeze, cough, itch etc.

14. - Top - End - #14

If his gloves are permeable (likely) and the poison is water soluble (likely), then the next time his gloves get wet, it's time to make a fort save.

On the other hand, a glove may simply not be wet or sticky enough to pick up a large enough dose of poison (if there was only one dose of poison on the knob), and when it later transfers the poison to another object, and THAT object is handled, nothing happens. Not enough poison.

Entirely a DM area, though.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

The characters are wearing gloves so that they don't get contact poison onto their skin. If you do some gimmick that ignores that precaution (your gloves aren't waterproof, the doorknob is sharp...) your players might kill you. I like the idea of having the poison stick to their gloves though. It shows them that investing in that bit of protection paid off.

Go for some other type of poison if you really want to pose that challenge to them. I'm just saying from a players perspective, when you go out of your way to try and protect yourself against some badness and your DM inflicts it on your anyway, it's a little disheartening.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

If the player doesn't know his gloves are now poisoned, he would be infected sooner or later... he may scratch himself, wipe his brow, or otherwise touch himself. I would roll a random number of turns then tell the player he was poisoned by something on his gloves. If you're feeling generous, allow the player a spot check to notice something on his gloves just before he touches himself.

If the player does suspect something is on his gloves, recommend to him that he should remove them as soon as possible... otherwise the poison may soak through the gloves. If the player ignores the warning, wait a couple of rounds then have him save vs poison with a bonus... he wouldn't be affected by the full strength of the poison by it seeping through his gloves. Ignore this if the gloves were waterproof or offered magical protection.
    Beware the ghost in the machine.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwraith View Post
    before he touches himself.
    Eww.

Decision falls to the DM. Make it SPECIAL poison that LEAPS through gloves.
    Adsum!

To every action force there is an equal, but opposite, reaction force. So somewhere, in the D&D universe, there is a bunch of law abiding, well spoken people who don't urinate on their enemies, burn down pubs, or commit genocide when bored.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haikiah View Post
    Eww.

Decision falls to the DM. Make it SPECIAL poison that LEAPS through gloves.
    Yeah, I'm think of making it a "Black Astral Shadow Leaping Locust Venom Extract"... But I don't think something like that would stay on a doorknob, no sir. This guy will leap out of the doorknob, attack the nearest player, surprise round, everybody rolls initiative, the poison escapes back into his plane of existence...

Which happens to be the "doorknob dimension"... Endless adventures await... Buy the extended poison and doorknob dimension core rule book.

Have a nice day.
    FUGO ERGO SUM
    I run; therefore I am.

19. - Top - End - #19

This is EXTREMELY BAD precedent. If you say that the poison can be transfered to the glove (and presumably remain on the knob) then you just gave them free unlimited uses of that poison. I'd cut off the knob and keep using it... In fact, get cheap (poison proof) gloves and sell the envenomed gloves to anyone that needs that poison.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

I'd say the poison can be transferred maybe three times, and if it comes into contact with skin in that time then it does it's poison thing, and if it doesn't then it loses its potency.

Example: the rogue opens the door (poison goes doorknob >> glove, 1 transfer), then scratches his head (poison goes glove >> skin, 2 transfers, roll a fort save please Mr. Rogue.)

Alternatively: the rogue opens the door (poison goes doorknob >> glove, 1 transfer) then picks up a torch (poison goes glove >> torch, 2 transfers) then puts the torch on the table (poison goes torch >> table, 3 transfers, poison wears off.)

At each possible transfer, you rule which of the items the poison stays on so you can't create infinite poisoned items.
    de·fen·es·tra·tion (dē-fĕn'ĭ-strā'shən)
    n.

An act of throwing someone or something out of a window.

[From DE– + Latin fenestra, window.]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Joe View Post
    This is EXTREMELY BAD precedent. If you say that the poison can be transfered to the glove (and presumably remain on the knob) then you just gave them free unlimited uses of that poison. I'd cut off the knob and keep using it... In fact, get cheap (poison proof) gloves and sell the envenomed gloves to anyone that needs that poison.
    That's one of the absurdest things I have heard since Oscar Wilde's corpse. Which DM would be that naive? No one. Not me especially, no.
    Try something like that in my game, and you'll end up in so much trouble, you'll cry of frustration in real life.
    Anyhow, that's what a basic player's mind works, thanks for demonstrating.
    FUGO ERGO SUM
    I run; therefore I am.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valdyr View Post
    The characters are wearing gloves so that they don't get contact poison onto their skin. If you do some gimmick that ignores that precaution (your gloves aren't waterproof, the doorknob is sharp...) your players might kill you. I like the idea of having the poison stick to their gloves though. It shows them that investing in that bit of protection paid off.

Go for some other type of poison if you really want to pose that challenge to them. I'm just saying from a players perspective, when you go out of your way to try and protect yourself against some badness and your DM inflicts it on your anyway, it's a little disheartening.
    Agree.

This is the smartest idea here.
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!