New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default ONE.... MORE... ARGUMENT.... (v's gender thread)

We have literally heard hundreds, if not thousands of one time definitive "proof" on his/her gender. Although it can be references by other characters, size by the rule book, and different actions V has made in response to something a character has commented on revolving around gender, there is always something someone can find.

Here is my quick idea of proof to V's gender.

Although many characters might call V one gender or another, I am just focusing on one of them, Sabine. in a brief conversation of comic 385, Sabine calls V "sister." I personally feels this is far more proof than all of the other characters calling V different genders, because this is a several-thousand year old devil/demon nymphomaniac. As noted in multiple comics, this devil/demon has tried nearly every form of entertainment possible, and can destinguish thousands of evil outsiders, whom to us make no difference. To say the least she has associated with zzy'dtri, and most likely found out his gender somehow (as Nale comments). I feel that there is an incredibly high chance that she is right, as someone who deals with different genders (and has sex several times a day) should know.

What is your theory?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: ONE.... MORE... ARGUMENT.... (v's gender thread)

Credits to half-halfling for my adorable avatar.

Come visit the Discussion Thread Index II.
    Looking for a new webcomic to read? Take a look at the Webcomic List.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lira View Post
    It seems to me that she is talking about zzdtri, because nale just commented "elf chick" about V, and we know that Nale takes her advice on things besides planning/fighting.
    Last edited by silversaraph; 2008-12-30 at 12:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lira View Post
    Aha. Nale says "elf chick," Sabine says "elf dude."

Quote Originally Posted by silversaraph View Post
    Although many characters might call V one gender or another, I am just focusing on one of them, Sabine. in a brief conversation of comic 385, Sabine calls V "sister." I personally feels this is far more proof than all of the other characters calling V different genders, because this is a several-thousand year old devil/demon nymphomaniac. As noted in multiple comics, this devil/demon has tried nearly every form of entertainment possible, and can destinguish thousands of evil outsiders, whom to us make no difference. To say the least she has associated with zzy'dtri, and most likely found out his gender somehow (as Nale comments). I feel that there is an incredibly high chance that she is right, as someone who deals with different genders (and has sex several times a day) should know.
    Looks like somebody forgot something.
    Sabine was, at that moment, sloshed. Thwacked. Hammered. Boozed. Inebriated. Did I already say hammered?
    Point is, she was drunk. Perhaps beer goggles skewed her perception, leading her to make a quick assumption?
    Interestingly enough, Sabine calls V a "dude" in 252, then calls V "sister" in 385.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Aha. Nale says "elf chick," Sabine says "elf dude."

Looks like somebody forgot something.
    Sabine was, at that moment, sloshed. Thwacked. Hammered. Boozed. Inebriated. Did I already say hammered?
    Point is, she was drunk. Perhaps beer goggles skewed her perception, leading her to make a quick assumption?
    Interestingly enough, Sabine calls V a "dude" in 252, then calls V "sister" in 385.
    Actually, I think that would actually increase the odds of her making the correct assumption, because she has been getting hammered and whatnot for thousands of years, and I would say she is probably dependent on it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems to me that she is talking about zzdtri, because nale just commented "elf chick" about V, and we know that Nale takes her advice on things besides planning/fighting.
    That was not Zzdtri Sabine was talking about. Nale is sticking to the evil opposites theme for members of the Linear Guild. There are two ways to determine V's gender:
    1) set up an antimagic field and check for gender directly
    2) polymorph V into an animal with definitive sexual dimorphism
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, I think that would actually increase the odds of her making the correct assumption, because she has been getting hammered and whatnot for thousands of years, and I would say she is probably dependent on it.
    Well, you really have to thin of it this way:
    The Giant is doing this on purpose.
    He's throwing hints in either direction. And why?
    Because he can.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Well, you really have to thin of it this way:
    The Giant is doing this on purpose.
    He's throwing hints in either direction. And why?
    Because he can.
    Actually, I kind of agree with this idea. the giant probably didn't go too in-depth about this particular instance, and just used it as another scene to throw people off.

Still, I have other ideas on why V is female, so I'll just start calling her a she.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

you are right.. the Giant is able to keep this "discussion" on for years.
    If he wants us to know V's gender, he'll give us a hint (big enough hint) for us to notice that once and for all.
    Aaanyway.. we are not gonna discover the gender, not at this rate.. there are too many chances either ways; male or female.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Vaarsuvius is not a "he" or a "she". Vaarsuvius is a "V". that is the proper pronoun to use when talking about vir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I kind of wonder if the Giant even has decided what gender V is, or if he purposely didn't decide.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    I kind of wonder if the Giant even has decided what gender V is, or if he purposely didn't decide.
    Actually, V was meant to be a guy, but some argument started on the forums if V was male or female so the giant decided to make it a recurring joke.

As noted in multiple comics, this devil/demon has tried nearly every form of entertainment possible, and can destinguish thousands of evil outsiders, whom to us make no difference.
    Could you provide some links to these "multiple comic" examples.
    Last edited by Berserk Monk; 2008-12-30 at 01:35 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Whether or not he's decided on V's gender, I'd be willing to bet the Giant has decided that the elven language in Stickworld doesn't actually use genders in its pronouns or grammar. Hence, when V hears virself called "he" or "she" in Common, ve automatically translates these terms as gender-neutral, perhaps not even noticing there's a discrepancy between what ve's called by one PC or another.

Come to think of it, it'd be extremely funny if V didn't know that vir gender has been a subject of doubt and debate among vir allies, all this time.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ok, so this is probably the typical newbie mistake: Making one's first post on a topic that has been a source of controversy for years, and I'll bet I am rehashing an old arguement that you've heard for a while. But with that said, my own guess would be that V is more likely male than female. My reasoning is that Vaarsuvius is a psuedo-Latin sounding name, as V is meant to be a scholarly type... and if Vaarsuvius were a real Latin name, it would be masculine.

Except, of course, it's in a made up language, so that theory is not exactly sound. Just like all other theories on the topic, no doubt...
    Last edited by MadScientistMat; 2008-12-30 at 06:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Why would Sabine compare prospective members to Zz'dtri when they are discussing finding an opposite for V?

In any case, Sabine's been depicted as more or less Pansexual. So even if she is a sexpert, it doesn't seem gender matters much to her.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    In any case, Sabine's been depicted as more or less Pansexual. So even if she is a sexpert, it doesn't seem gender matters much to her.
    QFT. She seemed quite attracted to Miko, and she can also polymorph into a male form (which presumably has all the appropriate male attachments--see Sabine's comment at the end of strip #365).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

I laugh at your feeble attempt to make sense of the chaotic universe we live in.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the most probable explanation is that the Giant threw this in - had the "literal incarnation of illicit sex" seem unable to make up her mind about what gender V is - in order to further confuse us. Apparently not without success. XD
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    I think the most probable explanation is that the Giant threw this in - had the "literal incarnation of illicit sex" seem unable to make up her mind about what gender V is - in order to further confuse us. Apparently not without success. XD
    This. The fact that V's gender is so ambiguous as to make the resident OotS sexpert unsure is all part of the gag. None of Sabine's statements are conclusive evidence.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

I'd suggest that someone who is fairly fast and loose with gender identity herself may have even more trouble figuring out V's gender. Belkar, having a clearly masculine bent, might be the closest we can get to a hint and he was drunk when kissing Elf.

Perhaps next New Year it will all be cleared up by Belkar and in a fit of rage....

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

yuk Re: ONE.... MORE... ARGUMENT.... (v's gender thread)

Quote Originally Posted by EyethatBinds View Post
    I'd suggest that someone who is fairly fast and loose with gender identity herself may have even more trouble figuring out V's gender. Belkar, having a clearly masculine bent, might be the closest we can get to a hint and he was drunk when kissing Elf.

Perhaps next New Year it will all be cleared up by Belkar and in a fit of rage....
    What do you mean next new year?
    Have you already forgotten what the oracle said?

"Belkar will draw his last breath-ever-BEFORE the end of the year"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by runekiri View Post
    What do you mean next new year?
    Have you already forgotten what the oracle said?

"Belkar will draw his last breath-ever-BEFORE the end of the year"
    The problem is that there's some confusion over which calendar's year to which the Oracle is referring. There's a several month offset between the marking of years on the Northern and Southern calendars. If Belkar will die by next year on the Southern calendar, there's always the possibility of him having a good Northern New Year celebration before then.

And that's just thinking about two different calendar systems. It's likely Belkar will be making a trip to the Western Lands. And who knows what they do for a calendar?
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2008-12-31 at 01:49 PM. Reason: URL now included
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.