New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery II

Smilies added for villains, where applicable.

Any chance we could get this thread stickied?
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!" -- Conan, on what is best in life

"A good plan, executed violently now, is better than a perfect plan next week." -- George S. Patton, Jr.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You know we could just wait for OOTS to be finished and ask the Giant for character sheets. He has stated that he couldn't make them because that would restrain too much on his imagination. But if OOTS iwas finished, he shouldn't have a problem making character sheets.
    But ofcourse for the meantime speculation is fun.
    'nuf said

JOIN THE WAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!
    Paste this banner into your sig and aid in the TOTAL DOMINATION OF THE ORKS!

3. - Top - End - #123

DwarfFighterGuy

We're doing this because it's fun, not because we're dreadfully curious.

In the meantime, I've upped Redcloak's level to at least 13 because of the Destruction spell.
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!" -- Conan, on what is best in life

"A good plan, executed violently now, is better than a perfect plan next week." -- George S. Patton, Jr.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Banned

Okay, I know there's no Miko entry, but I gotta know how she was able to one-hand-smite. I bet there's an Extra Smite feat somewhere (I may have seen it before), but her first Smite just couldn't have worked.

5. - Top - End - #125

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Brickwall View Post
    Okay, I know there's no Miko entry, but I gotta know how she was able to one-hand-smite. I bet there's an Extra Smite feat somewhere (I may have seen it before), but her first Smite just couldn't have worked.
    Hm? Smite Evil just adds extra damage to your attack- there's no stipulation that it must be a two-handed weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    How about the fact that humans can apparently breed with anything on two legs (or even four legs if you count dragons)?

Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
    Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
    Human: What?
    Elf: Half-orcs, half-ogres...
    Human: ... shut up.
    Dwarf: Half-dragons, half-kobolds.
    Human: I said shut up!
    Elf: ...
    Dwarf: ...
    Human: ...
    Elf: Centaurs.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Banned

You have to hold it in 2 hands. Okay, you did in 3.0. But I did check up on the extra/day thing. It just increases with levels. No biggie there.

Still, I distinctly remember a rule that one had to hold a weapon in 2 hands to smite. Somewhere, in some game manual, it says that.

7. - Top - End - #127

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brickwall View Post
    You have to hold it in 2 hands. Okay, you did in 3.0. But I did check up on the extra/day thing. It just increases with levels. No biggie there.

Still, I distinctly remember a rule that one had to hold a weapon in 2 hands to smite. Somewhere, in some game manual, it says that.
    Smite Evil (Su)
    Once per day, a paladin may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack. She adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per paladin level. If the paladin accidentally smites a creature that is not evil, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that day.

No requirement for using two hands.

8. - Top - End - #128

DwarfFighterGuy

I do believe we need to credit Elan with some ranks in Escape Artist.

My evidence: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0156.html

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runolfr View Post
    I do believe we need to credit Elan with some ranks in Escape Artist.

My evidence: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0156.html
    His hand is glowing. I took that to be "animate rope" more than escape artist.

Still, it wouldn't be surprising for him to have that, it is a bard skill after all.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Um, guys...

Durkon is at LEAST level 13. Call Weather is a 7th level spell, so the lowest cleric level he could be is 13 to cast a 7th level spell.

You might wanna revise that.
    Founder of the Order of the Stick Fan Club
    The one club, to rule them all.

All of your clubs bow to mine! MWAHAHAHA!

Proud Member of the Xykon Fan Club

President of the Vaarsuvius Fan Club.

If you wish to join any of my clubs, PM me.

11. - Top - End - #131

GnomeWizardGuy

He can cast it from a scroll at a lower level, provided that his wisdom is at least 17. And he used a scroll to cast it.
    Real wizards use staves

12. - Top - End - #132

DwarfFighterGuy

Additional spells-known have been added for Xykon.

Should I drop Pompey, Leeky, and Yok-yok from the Villains entry? I'm thinking that characters who haven't rated a Smiley are probably minor enough to leave out.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    His hand is glowing. I took that to be "animate rope" more than escape artist.

Still, it wouldn't be surprising for him to have that, it is a bard skill after all.
    Although his hand is glowing, this must imply that Elan has sorcerer levels!

Why? Cause bards can't cast silent spells, which is what Elan was doing if that were a spell. And he is known to not have wizard levels (besides, who would prepare a silent animate rope?). So it's either sorcerer, or it isn't a spell. (Of course, it might be another class if it were a spell. Just not bard.)

14. - Top - End - #134

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yzorth View Post
    Um, guys...

Durkon is at LEAST level 13. Call Weather is a 7th level spell, so the lowest cleric level he could be is 13 to cast a 7th level spell.

You might wanna revise that.
    He cast it off a scroll, which doesn't require he be 13th level, but only that it be on his class spell list.
    Don't bother trying to appeal to my better nature; I don't have one.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Should I drop Pompey, Leeky, and Yok-yok from the Villains entry? I'm thinking that characters who haven't rated a Smiley are probably minor enough to leave out.
    I don't see much need. The work's already been done, and I'm sure some people would like to see them.

I'd put Yokyok as at least non-evil - "I would normally never stoop to travel with scoundrels such as the Linear Guild," strip 357. Additionally, he stated that he had taken an "oath to destroy" Belkar, which makes me think LN or LG.

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by Khantalas View Post
    Although his hand is glowing, this must imply that Elan has sorcerer levels!

Why? Cause bards can't cast silent spells, which is what Elan was doing if that were a spell. And he is known to not have wizard levels (besides, who would prepare a silent animate rope?). So it's either sorcerer, or it isn't a spell. (Of course, it might be another class if it were a spell. Just not bard.)
    Perhaps Giant forgot to write out Animate Rope...

If this is the only instance implying sorcerer levels for Elan, I would rely more on his own statement to Nale on being a Bard.
    There aren't really any exclusive or original ideas on TVTropes. That's kind of the point.
    - Nerd-o-rama.

Avatar by kpenguin, who is gratefully acknowledged!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Banned

I'd change Yok Yok's entry to this

Class: DEAD
    Ability Scores: DEAD
    etc.

Keep Pompey, though. He's been around a while now.

18. - Top - End - #138

confused Re: Class and Level Geekery II

As of #373, can we conclude Miko has some points in Knowledge (the planes) (considering her knowledge of demons)?

Edit: It is a cross-class skill for both her classes tho'...

Edit 2: Just noticed there's no Miko entry in this thread
    Last edited by Soepvork; 2006-11-10 at 11:06 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Soepvork? Bang freakin' on. A cookie must be doled out, though I fear its chocolate chip-deliciously-infected substance is far too lacking of grandeur to be a prize of the appropriate scale.

So you get two cookies.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

That seems reasonable
    Here is a numbering of all character appearances in OOTS

20. - Top - End - #140

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Soepvork View Post
    Edit 2: Just noticed there's no Miko entry in this thread
    Oversight corrected

21. - Top - End - #141

Is it possible that V has taken Spell Reprieve as one of his bonus feats? Evard's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion would be a variation of Evard's Black Tentacles right? Which are a conjuration(and thus barred) spell? Spell Reprieve lets you learn one spell barred to your school of magic. This would mean he has at least two ranks of Knowledge(History) as well as you need two ranks to take the feat.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Bugbear in the Playground

Why are Leeky and Pompey under spoiler tags?

23. - Top - End - #143

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TinSoldier View Post
    Why are Leeky and Pompey under spoiler tags?
    Because, as characters who weren't important enough to rate their own smilies, I have demoted them to "minor" characters who shouldn't take up a whole lot of space in the post. Putting them in spoiler tags was the easiest way to compress them without losing the actual content.

24. - Top - End - #144

DwarfFighterGuy

gratuitous thread bump

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's strange that Nale (LE) consorts with a CE fiend... however, I can't find any devils that can change shape or use an energy-draining attack. The comment in #349 about
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine
    Hey, you know, these wounds actually hurt. I don't suppose that's a starmetal sword there, is it?
    is consistent with a succubus' DR of 10/(cold iron/good), assuming that starmetal is basically the same flavour as cold iron. It's worth noting that in #365, she talks about flying to Azure City, even though succubi have greater teleport as a spell-like ability (self plus 50 pounds of objects only).
    "I think I just had an evilgasm."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Starmetal deals an additional 1d6 damage to outsiders if I'm correct.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Azure City might have wards against unauthorized teleporting. Just a thought.
    Here is a numbering of all character appearances in OOTS

28. - Top - End - #148

Miko Miyazaki
    Lawful Good, Human Female, Monk 2+ / Paladin 10+ (may be well above character level 12)
    Attributes:
    Str ~10 (no evidence)
    Dex 15+ (required for 2-weapon fighting)
    Con ~10 (no evidence)
    Int ~10 (no evidence)
    Wis 13+ (minimum for Stunning Fist)
    Cha 14+ (effective Divine Grace and substantial Laying On Hands)
    Feats (7+): Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, (Combat Reflexes or Deflect Arrows).
    Skills (40+): Ride, Survival +1, Handle Animal (not demonstrated, but likely), Knowledge (the Planes)
    Abilities: Evasion, flurry of blows, aura of good, detect evil, divine grace, lay on hands, aura of courage, divine health, turn undead, special mount (Windstriker), remove disease 2/week, smite evil 3/day, spells (1/1).
    Items: Armor, Katana, Wakizashi, known to carry Cure potions
    Please also note:
    Miko was able to take on the entirety of OOTS by herself on two separate occasions.
    Granted, the first time was due to surprise, Durkon's surrender, and driving rains - and the second was due to a railroad plot structure, but that notwithstanding - she DID in fact take them all out.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that she's packing some fairly vicious magic weaponry.
    Her position would support this, as well.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

^ I've always thought of Miko as level 15 or so.

She gets 5 attacks, so her BAB is between +11 and +15, assuming she has greater two-weapon fighting. 2 Monk levels gives her +1, 13 paladin levels gives her +13 more, making it +14 total BAB. Tack on her (probably) magical equipment, she's got at something like 17/17/12/12/7 for attacks. Seems pretty consistent with Giant's description of the fight.

Using this logic, Miko is at a minimum of level 12 (2 monk, 10 pally) and max 17 (monk 7, pally 10). Being between 15 and 17 also explains how she took 150 + 10d6 damage and was able to heal herself effectively enough without a cure spell.

All of the above is assuming Greater Two-Weapon fighting. If she doesn't have that, the numbers will be a bit different. I say it's safe to assume Greater Two-Weapon Fighting because there's always two small slashes and three big ones when she full attacks.

If I'm off on some of this, please correct me.

Ah, she also said that she'd "attack with more power" the next time she whipped some moves out on the MitD. This *might* mean she has power attack, which would put her Strength at 13+. Either that or she would two-hand her katana with a smite evil tacked in.

Oh yeah, and monks can take Stunning Fist as a feat at first level without meeting the prereqs. She doesn't necessarily have 13+ Wis, but it's likely because she seems to use more than Lay on Hands to heal.
    Last edited by HomerHT; 2006-11-14 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Left some stuff out.

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by HomerHT View Post
    ^ I've always thought of Miko as level 15 or so.

She gets 5 attacks, so her BAB is between +11 and +15, assuming she has greater two-weapon fighting. 2 Monk levels gives her +1, 13 paladin levels gives her +13 more, making it +14 total BAB. Tack on her (probably) magical equipment, she's got at something like 17/17/12/12/7 for attacks. Seems pretty consistent with Giant's description of the fight.

Using this logic, Miko is at a minimum of level 12 (2 monk, 10 pally) and max 17 (monk 7, pally 10). Being between 15 and 17 also explains how she took 150 + 10d6 damage and was able to heal herself effectively enough without a cure spell.

All of the above is assuming Greater Two-Weapon fighting. If she doesn't have that, the numbers will be a bit different. I say it's safe to assume Greater Two-Weapon Fighting because there's always two small slashes and three big ones when she full attacks.

If I'm off on some of this, please correct me.

Ah, she also said that she'd "attack with more power" the next time she whipped some moves out on the MitD. This *might* mean she has power attack, which would put her Strength at 13+. Either that or she would two-hand her katana with a smite evil tacked in.

Oh yeah, and monks can take Stunning Fist as a feat at first level without meeting the prereqs. She doesn't necessarily have 13+ Wis, but it's likely because she seems to use more than Lay on Hands to heal.
    She also took one hell of a brutal hit, flew an indeterminate distance and hit the ground hard enough to crack it, THEN had her horse fall on her head and GOT UP, and STILL had enough strength left to drink a pile of health potions.

Again going out on a limb, she has some crazygonuts damage reduction, OR some rock-solid armor, or just a metric ton of hit points.