New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 264142434445464748495051
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 1520
  1. - Top - End - #1501
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery II

The Dashing Swordsman was pure invention. I'm more inclined to think this is, too. Imp Crit on a Greatsword isn't going to cut any decent enemy in half in one blow, since it never gets better than a x2 Crit.

2. - Top - End - #1502
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure that evil caster counts as a "decent enemy"
    Here is a numbering of all character appearances in OOTS

3. - Top - End - #1503

A Clr 9 has 8+8D8 hp without Con bonus. That's 44 average. To kill, he neds to do 54 damage.

A Masterwork Greatsword (Magic Weapons can't be Shattered, like Xykon does to that very sword) deals 4D6+Strx3.0+4 (assumes Greater Weapon Spec). Average is 14 for 4D6. So, Strength needs to do 36 damage. That makes his Str bonus 12, for a Strength of 34. That can be achieved by some, but I find it very hard to believe in OotS world where magic items are few and limited in potency. even with a max damage crit of 28+Strx3, we're looking at a Str bonus of 9, for Str 28. Still unlikely, though barely achievable with a +6 Str item and 4/5 of level attributes put in Str.

Additionally, there's the fact Roy actually comments on it. If it was just a Crit, Roy would just have thought it was a normal roll of 19-20, and wouldn't have commented.

4. - Top - End - #1504
    Titan in the Playground

There's also the possibility of a massive damage kill, which only requires 50 damage. It still requires a bit of luck (the cleric failed his save, and Horace probably needed a crit and at least decent rolls), but it happens occasionally.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #1505
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kreistor View Post
    A Masterwork Greatsword (Magic Weapons can't be Shattered, like Xykon does to that very sword) deals 4D6+Strx3.0+4 (assumes Greater Weapon Spec). Average is 14 for 4D6. So, Strength needs to do 36 damage. That makes his Str bonus 12, for a Strength of 34. That can be achieved by some, but I find it very hard to believe in OotS world where magic items are few and limited in potency. even with a max damage crit of 28+Strx3, we're looking at a Str bonus of 9, for Str 28. Still unlikely, though barely achievable with a +6 Str item and 4/5 of level attributes put in Str.
    If he power attacks (as he should) that gives +4 damage for each -1 to hit (on a critical with a two handed weapon).
    -5 to hit gives +20 damage reducing the strength required to 20 for an average damage crit.

6. - Top - End - #1506
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    A scroll doesn't know what class its creator was, only whether it's arcane or divine. If the class of the creator were significant, then that'd have to be included in those tables in the DMG for randomly created scrolls, too.
    Exactly.

The DMG does specify caster level for arcane scrolls when it is important, because (for example) there's a big difference between a magic missile cast at first level versus one at seventh level.

OTOH, the DMG does not specify "cleric-created CSW" or "4th-level CSW." So, inferentially, it must be the caster's level, and the not scroll scrivener's level, that controls.

As for "more bonus languages than me" implying that Elan must have at least one bonus language, any bonus language is greater than having none. While it would be more precise if Elan had said, "I know you have bonus languages and I do not...", I think it is just an economy-of-words issue. The joke is funnier the way it is written, compared to a verbiager-but-more-precise alternative.

7. - Top - End - #1507
    Dwarf in the Playground

wink Re: Class and Level Geekery II

28 from dice+20 from pow. ATK= 2 dmg from STR

8. - Top - End - #1508
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dear Mr Wrecan.

It is now time for the Class and Level Geekery thread III

And I think I'd answer the points that get raised every page in a FAQ in the 1st (or 2nd) post... Then it just needs 1 post to point someone to the answer.

Probably
    Avatar by Sneak (a long, long time ago)

What Hayley Said

9. - Top - End - #1509
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sc00by View Post
    Dear Mr Wrecan.

It is now time for the Class and Level Geekery thread III

And I think I'd answer the points that get raised every page in a FAQ in the 1st (or 2nd) post... Then it just needs 1 post to point someone to the answer.

Probably
    I was under the impression that threads no longer get locked after 50 pages. Do I need to start Class and Level Geekery III, or do we just keep going with the current format?

10. - Top - End - #1510
    Dwarf in the Playground

The SMBGs all seem to be reincarnated @ 50 pages still. So it looks like that's still the rule.

indeed the rules over there are quite clear.

I'm sure that a mod will happen along some time soon and inform us all as to what the current rules on 50 pages outside of SMBG are
    Last edited by Sc00by; 2007-10-26 at 07:18 PM.
    Avatar by Sneak (a long, long time ago)

What Hayley Said

11. - Top - End - #1511
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecan View Post
    I was under the impression that threads no longer get locked after 50 pages. Do I need to start Class and Level Geekery III, or do we just keep going with the current format?
    I just hit the "Replies" column, and with this post, this thread will be the longest one in this section of the forum, pushing past the Oots Quiz III thread. So, yeah, when you have some spare time it's probably time for Round 3.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

12. - Top - End - #1512
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Ugh, crazy varying spell levels and vague magic item rules....Here I was honestly hoping I had just missed something that made the situation clearcut.
    Whether Belkar has average or better Wisdom (or even marginally, rather than severely, below average) has always been clear-cut.
    Last edited by Kish; 2007-10-27 at 09:34 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1513

It's probably easier for all concerned if you just continue it with the current format. Why switch to a new thread while the current one is working?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zentei's Law
    1. As an online discussion on the Order of the Stick forum grows longer, the probability of Miko Myazaki being mentioned approaches unity.
    2. He who mentions her in a disparaging way when irrelevant to the thread topic loses the argument.
    Fanclubbery list:

Miko fanclub.

Roy fanclub.

Hinjo fanclub.

The Chief fanclub.

The Xykon fanclub. Because Evil is just that cool.

14. - Top - End - #1514

A Masterwork Greatsword (Magic Weapons can't be Shattered, like Xykon does to that very sword)
    Actually, yes, they can be broken. Just takes some doing.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

15. - Top - End - #1515
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    Actually, yes, they can be broken. Just takes some doing.
    Magical Items aren't be broken with a Shatter spell, which is what used. Therefore, the sword was only Masterwork at best at that point.
    Treasurer of the Fan Club. (And in desperate need of donations).

A fan before it was cool.

Probationary conscript of the Fan Club.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

16. - Top - End - #1516

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy_Jenkins View Post
    As for "more bonus languages than me" implying that Elan must have at least one bonus language, any bonus language is greater than having none. While it would be more precise if Elan had said, "I know you have bonus languages and I do not...", I think it is just an economy-of-words issue. The joke is funnier the way it is written, compared to a verbiager-but-more-precise alternative.
    Not to mention, we are talking about Elan after all.

A Clr 9 has 8+8D8 hp without Con bonus. That's 44 average. To kill, he neds to do 54 damage.
    He could easily be below average. And it didn't look like his luck improved much.

17. - Top - End - #1517

Personally, I think a new thread is due. I'd suggest adding a FAQ at the front to point out the common topics nobody notices because they are 20 pages back. Belkar's Wisdom, current character level, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballman
    He could easily be below average. And it didn't look like his luck improved much.
    Characters with PC levels gain the elite array. Only 1/6 stats is below 10: and for clerics it is very rarely Con, since it helps with Concentration. Possible, but highly unlikely.
    Last edited by Kreistor; 2007-10-27 at 10:30 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1518
    Ogre in the Playground

I have started the Class and Level Geekery III thread. I ask that all discussion be directed there. Thanks!

19. - Top - End - #1519
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Belkar no longer posseses the mark of justice.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJesus View Post
    Plus, with the UMD check, I could just threaten to blow the world up using stonehendge.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I love how it never crosses anyone's mind that the author may know less about astronomy than they do.

I WENT TO ART SCHOOL, OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    From what you described, you were dying.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
    Brendan Gill

20. - Top - End - #1520

Wrong thread, heres the newest one: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95005
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    There is no mind control, citizen. Please go back to your fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corm View Post
    Kroy speaks the truth.
    Avatar courtesy of Shades of Grey.