New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Half Elves of a Different Stripe

So we are all familair with the player's handbook half-elf, which to my knowlege results from a combination between a humans and high elves. My question to you is what happens when other elven subraces mate with humans?

First, are there any books that deal with this issue?

Second, if there aren't, how would you handles such a thing? Would you keep all the mechanical aspects the same? Or give different abilties based on the elven componet. I'm thinking of all the elven subraces but especally aquatic elves, since they seem the most different from high elves and humans.
    The Historian: This DM has the history of his world written out millenniums back. It is intricate, complex, and most importantly, incredibly long. Moreover, everything your characters are doing is based on the previous history. It also tends to lead to loudmouth NPCS who will explain hundreds of years of history at a time while the players try to gouge their eardrums out with mechanical pencils.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default Re: Half Elves of a Different Stripe

Quote Originally Posted by TheElfLord View Post
    So we are all familair with the player's handbook half-elf, which to my knowlege results from a combination between a humans and high elves. My question to you is what happens when other elven subraces mate with humans?

First, are there any books that deal with this issue?

Second, if there aren't, how would you handles such a thing? Would you keep all the mechanical aspects the same? Or give different abilties based on the elven componet. I'm thinking of all the elven subraces but especally aquatic elves, since they seem the most different from high elves and humans.
    There are half-drow. And I think Stormwrack has aquatic half elves.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Races of Faerun has half-elves of the non-standard elven races, though I don't remember any major mechanical changes (except maybe half-drow having darkvision or something) and I don't have a copy of the book to hand. I think the human lineage washes out any of the special elven traits...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Half-drow have darkvision 60ft instead of Low-light vision, and that is the only change from regular half-elves (mechanically). I couldn't say for the others.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Half-Aquatics gain a swim speed, and can get water breathing with a feat.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Usually it's assumed that, apart from the exceptions already noted, a half-elf of a given elven subrace has no mechanical differences from any other subrace. After all, a half-elf's "elven" traits are pretty universal to most elves (low-light vision, Elven blood, heightened senses, immunity to sleep).

The differences are only superficial. In the Forgotten Realms, say, a half-moon elf may have very pale skin, possibly even silvery or bluish; a half-sun elf will likely have a somewhat golden complexion.