New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Pelor

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Anti-Pelor

Is there a god somewhere that is like an evil Pelor? Similar power, but dark and evil? I'm trying to find one, but I can't find any that's a really good fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Anti-Pelor

Nerull could do it - Darkness and Death vs. Light and Life, and all that - and I'm rather certain he's NE vs. Pelor's NG.

Similar power levels, too.
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.
    Homebrew 3.5 base class: The Iron Chef

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Anti-Pelor

There is no such god in the Greyhawk/"Standard D&D" pantheon of which I am aware.

Personally, I think gods are some of the easiest things to homebrew. All you really need starting out are an alignment, four or so fitting domains, a portfolio, and a small handful of basic tenets. Everything else can be fleshed out during play as the campaign evolves. So, if you can't find what you want, just make it up.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MandibleBones View Post
    Nerull could do it - Darkness and Death vs. Light and Life, and all that - and I'm rather certain he's NE vs. Pelor's NG.

Similar power levels, too.
    Yup, Nerull is probably the closest match for a rival. Both primal Flan pantheon greater powers, Healing vs Death, Light vs. Darkness, NE vs. NG.

On the not strictly evil front, there's the rival Oeridian sun god Pholtus (LG/LN) of the Blinding Light, (Light, Resolution, Law, Order, Inflexibility), with worshippers commonly of the Lawful Annoying alignment. Imagine an entire flock of Miko Miyazaki clones, that's what his church is like.
    Last edited by jamroar; 2007-07-07 at 11:02 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moon-faced Assassin of Joy

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

I think he means an evil sun god, which is a great idea--but doesn't seem to be well-represented in D&D. Try Sandstorm--there's a lot of sun-related deities there, I'm sure there's an evil one.

For how the sun could be bad, well, pick up Stephen R. Donaldson's The Wounded Land.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Actually, there don't appear to be any evil sun gods anywhere.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inyssius Tor View Post
    Not even in Athas?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Dark Sun has no gods.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Lorelei View Post
    Try Sandstorm--there's a lot of sun-related deities there, I'm sure there's an evil one.
    There's ten deities in the book, and only one of them actually has the portfolio of the Sun. (He is Neutral, by the way.) Go figure.
    Last edited by Attilargh; 2007-07-07 at 12:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Attilargh View Post
    There's ten deities in the book, and only one of them actually has the portfolio of the Sun. (He is Neutral, by the way.) Go figure.
    Well. Um. So much for that then?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Well, keep in mind that the D&D Sun domain has to be able to channel positive energy to do its thing. It'd be relatively easy to house rule in such a way as to allow clerics of evil gods to use the Sun domain, but by RAW, while you can choose Sun as an evil cleric, it won't do much for you.
    "I don't know why everyone always complains about being overshadowed in combat. I've always found it very relaxing."

Avatar by Threeshades. Thanks Threeshades!

12. - Top - End - #12

Deities and Demigods almost has one, the Destroyer aspect of Taiia, but not quite.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MandibleBones View Post
    ...Similar power levels, too.
    they're both over 9000!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well considering it's the source of energy for all life on a planet, that's to be expected. You're not going to cast something as evil in your mythology when you're ultimately dependent on it, because that would mean you're constantly accepting life supporting gifts from the evil side.

I agree with Nerull being the most opposed deity, although the Flan-origin pantheon seems more primal and less rigid, so you wouldn't necessarily have them as dire enemies as you would with Hieronius and Hextor.
    Last edited by Thanatos; 2007-07-07 at 01:21 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

You could take the Aztec pantheon and run with it:

"The sun god requires a constant stream of human sacrifices to keep it burning!"

Of course, in the context of Aztec mythology, that shouldn't be considered evil, since everything required sacrifices, some of them human. But that's why you have to run with it.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

16. - Top - End - #16

It would be an interesting situation if the Sun God really did need the sacrifices, and the sun would die without them...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Well, if you're looking to keep Pelor and just have a rival for him that's sort of his opposite, that would be pretty easy to homebrew.

I'd call him Rolep (NE Greater deity), and then give him domains like Evil, Moon (I think there's a Moon domain somewhere), Death, and maybe Destruction.

I think Pelor already has a beard, though, so Rolep might not have the goatee customary to evil identical twins.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2007-07-07 at 02:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Alternately, just homebrew an Eclipse domain and stock it with darkness/shadow/vision related spells.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Well, if you're looking to keep Pelor and just have a rival for him that's sort of his opposite, that would be pretty easy to homebrew.

I'd call him Rolep (NE Greater deity), and then give him domains like Evil, Moon (I think there's a Moon domain somewhere), Death, and maybe Destruction.

I think Pelor already has a beard, though, so Rolep might not have the goatee customary to evil identical twins.
    Forgotten Realms does have a Moon Domain, and I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up in other divine books as well

And Rolep sounds awesome by the way

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

It's been 10 years since I last read a Forgotten Realms book, but wasnt there a Touareg-like-tribe in Anauroch that had an evil Sun Goddess?

Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    You could take the Aztec pantheon and run with it:

"The sun god requires a constant stream of human sacrifices to keep it burning!"

Of course, in the context of Aztec mythology, that shouldn't be considered evil, since everything required sacrifices, some of them human. But that's why you have to run with it.
    Actually, Huitzilopochtli (major deity of War and the Sun) would probably qualify as NE.
    He killed his sister Coyozhautli (the Moon), and demanded that their followers wage wars against their enemies with regularity in order to provide him with human sacrifices from the enemy soldiers captured in battle.
    -

Is it evil, Evil, Evil or EVIL?
    Expanded Alignment Rules (PEACH)

-

Playing a Paladin? Don't fall into the traps of casuistry or excessive rigourism!

Instead of that, read Peregrine's lesson

-

"It's almost like the universe is trying to deliberately force some form of arbitrary equality between those of us who can reshape matter with our thoughts and those who cannot!"

21. - Top - End - #21

Pelor must die. I say we feed him too the tarrasque along with Jozan (like in Ali's avie).
    Own it, pwn it, nuke it, sheep it, eat it, quick re -right it, Joe it, turn it, turnip, pimp it, gimp it, dot it, rock it, spec re - spec it...

I'm bringing smexy back

As a Warblade, I'm pimp as hell.

Big up kpenguin for the chronic Avatar.

Powergaming - because you can't roleplay when your dead.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him dominate the World

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Evil sun god? Desert campaign, anyone? Aside from that, what would Orcs make of the sun? It hurts their eyes. Much better to go by moonlight. If orcs aren't always evil, I can see a good tribe of Moon-worshippers who sustain themselves in the woods where the light isn't too harsh, and an evil tribe dedicated to the Sun-god who go out and murder and pillage. They might even adapt to sunlight and take over human communities, using the people as slaves. Change some basic assumptions about "people" and you can change all manner of things.
    Ralien, my elf soulknife, by Magioth.

23. - Top - End - #23

Well, I think the Sun is always considered good due to the fact it gives light and life.

But what about its evil parts? We're talking about a giant ball of fire orbiting dangerously close to the planet here.

I imagine an evil Sun cleric would focus on dehydration, fire, burning, and such.

Avatar and sig-banner by Mr_Saturn.

24. - Top - End - #24

course if you wanted to go anti-sun and not go moon... could always custom make some sort of Blackhole domain since a blackhole is made from a sun

Only the mad may judge what is sane

"I swear... I'm going to kill you, raise you back to life... kill you again and than raise you as a zombie to do stupid demeaning things for the rest of your unatural undeath!" ~My necromancer to a cohort

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphimir Míriel View Post
    Actually, Huitzilopochtli (major deity of War and the Sun) would probably qualify as NE.
    He killed his sister Coyozhautli (the Moon), and demanded that their followers wage wars against their enemies with regularity in order to provide him with human sacrifices from the enemy soldiers captured in battle.
    Well, the first part of that (murdering family members) is practically typical in polytheistic pantheons. Look at Zeus, for instance.

As for demanding that his followers wage war and provide him with sacrifices, again, that was normal in the Aztec context. Human sacrifice was a very recurrent theme in Aztec mythology, and one that they considered to be necessary and appropriate.

So if you approach the Aztec pantheon from an Aztec perspective, ther would be plenty of neutral and good deities who requested or required human sacrifice.

On the other hand, if you approach the Aztec pantheon from the more standardized perspective of a D&D setting, you come to the conclusion that practically all their deities are evil.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    Not even in Athas?
    No, Clerics worship Patron Elements (ones that saved them somehow) or the Sorcerer Kings, Templars worship the Sorcerer Kings
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

27. - Top - End - #27

course when I created a pantheon for my world I made I think 22 or 23 gods in total to cover most everything including a god that was an elemental

Only the mad may judge what is sane

"I swear... I'm going to kill you, raise you back to life... kill you again and than raise you as a zombie to do stupid demeaning things for the rest of your unatural undeath!" ~My necromancer to a cohort

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    On the other hand, if you approach the Aztec pantheon from the more standardized perspective of a D&D setting, you come to the conclusion that practically all their deities are evil.
    Not true, there were several Mexica (AKA Aztec) deities that asked for flower sacrifices, or agricultural sacrifices (Xochiquetzal, Centeotl), or no sacrifices at all (Quetzalcoatl)

The fact that spaniard missionaries all painted the Mesoamerican peoples as bloodthirsty savages does not necessarily mean it's all true...

...and yes, the Sun and War god Huitzilopochtli was the main god of the aggressive and expansionistic Mexica nation, but that doesnt mean all the pantheon was the same
    -

Is it evil, Evil, Evil or EVIL?
    Expanded Alignment Rules (PEACH)

-

Playing a Paladin? Don't fall into the traps of casuistry or excessive rigourism!

Instead of that, read Peregrine's lesson

-

"It's almost like the universe is trying to deliberately force some form of arbitrary equality between those of us who can reshape matter with our thoughts and those who cannot!"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by reorith View Post
    they're both over 9000!
    I hate you. So very much.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Is there a god somewhere that is like an evil Pelor? Similar power, but dark and evil? I'm trying to find one, but I can't find any that's a really good fit.
    Why, Pelor of course.. I mean my personal favorite idea, is that Pelor is actually an evil deity, biding his time until he can take over the world from the other deities. Sort of like Thakisis. I mean it's the perfect disguise really, who actually cares about Pelor? So he just sits around waiting for the opportunity to strike, and then BAM! He'll take over the world. Or destroy it, I'm particularly fond of the notion that he's Therizdun (sp?).

But, you say, Pelor turns undead, how can he be evil? Pelor is obviously just anti-undead, like St. Cuthbert. Especially if he's Therizdun, then he's anti-undead because they represent a step backwards in the destruction of all things.

And what's this you say? Access to the domains that Therizdun doesn't possess? The answer lies in Deity-less clerics. They can use domains of their choice, obviously Clerics of Pelor are deity-less clerics who believe in the same "false" deity, the Persona of Pelor.

And there's my crack-pot conspiracy theory that Pelor is evil, boiled down to the shelliest, nuttiest, nutshell.