New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default What "other" games are you playing?

This is titled the "d20 and General RPG" forum, yet there's precious little of anything besides d20 being discussed. So in the spirit of generating some alternative conversation, what other things are people playing?

Are you demigodding it up with Exalted? Riffing off Reign? Performing acts of derring-do with Spirit of the Century? Trading around the galaxy in Traveller? GURPS-ing your way through a setting or three? A spot of Savage WOrlds?

If you're looking for something non-d20 and haven't had a chance to get some suggestions, here's the thread to pitch your requirements. Maybe someone can match a system up to some or all of them.

If you're just looking to see what's out there, John H Kim's bigass list of RPGs is one potential starting point. There's about a thousand games on there.

So what have you got?
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What "other" games are you playing?

I play Exalted as well, but what's there to say about that? No one ever has questions about Exalted, thus what is there to talk about? The majority of people play d20 systems because it is more mainstream and seems to have the greatest amount of support for the system.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
    I play Exalted as well, but what's there to say about that? No one ever has questions about Exalted, thus what is there to talk about? The majority of people play d20 systems because it is more mainstream and seems to have the greatest amount of support for the system.
    If no one's talking about games you want to talk about, you start threads about them. That said if you did want to talk lots about Exalted, there's always RPGnet for that.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

WHFRP atm, ocasionally Space rat, True20, M&M, among a host of others
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I never played DND. I think it's an outdated system, good maybe for a computer game.

Games I play or played:
    Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (first edition)
    Earthdawn
    homebrew (my Final Fantasy game for example)

Games I really want to play one day:
    Fading Suns
    Exalted
    non-emo White Wolf (Mage for example)
    Deadlands

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm playing in an Unknown Armies game, and running a game in Palladium's Nightbane setting using the Unknown Armies rules, because I'll throw myself down a staircase before I use the Palladium system, but they give good setting.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    non-emo White Wolf (Mage for example)
    You have no idea what anything from World of Darkness is about if you think any of the games aren't 'emo', which in and of itself is a gross oversimplification.

Games I play:
    Warhammer 40k(I have D&D for fantasy)
    D&D (3.0+)
    Star Wars d20
    World of Darkness(Everything from new and old)
    Exalted

Games I'd like to play:
    Star Wars Saga.

Games I refuse to play:
    Freakin' GURPS.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    You have no idea what anything from World of Darkness is about if you think any of the games aren't 'emo', which in and of itself is a gross oversimplification.
    Even accepting that "emo" is an oversimplification, given one of the core themes in Mage: the Ascension was hope, it doesn't easily sit with the other lines.
    Wushu Open Reloaded

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Warhammer 40k(I have D&D for fantasy)
    There is RPG system for W40k?

As for system I play: I once planned to play WFRPG 2nd edition, but potential players turned out to be jerks so I ended up playing D&D -that I like, BTW- with different people. Now I'll have to wait until it's my turn to DM and I'll run WFRPG. I prefer low-powered fantasy, and WFRPG represents it better. Also, I'm playing my homebrewed low-powered d20 system.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    There is RPG system for W40k?
    Not an official one, yet, though Black Industries have one/three in the works. Plenty of fan-made conversions out there, though.
    Last edited by Kiero; 2007-07-16 at 10:27 AM.
    Wushu Open Reloaded

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Mage: The Ascension focused on re-designing the 'average' human's belief that magic existed. They existed to literally crush the existing concept of reality.

M0rt: Technically it's homebrew, but it's a Warhammer d20 system that our DM found online. It's floating around somewhere.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Mage: The Ascension focused on re-designing the 'average' human's belief that magic existed. They existed to literally crush the existing concept of reality.
    There was a big old grab-bag of themes in the corebook for both 1st and 2nd edition (less so Revised) which basically said pick the ones you're interested in. "Crushing existing reality" was by no means the only way in which it could be played, nor the only theme that could be explored.
    Wushu Open Reloaded

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kiero View Post
    There was a big old grab-bag of themes in the corebook for both 1st and 2nd edition (less so Revised) which basically said pick the ones you're interested in. "Crushing existing reality" was by no means the only way in which it could be played, nor the only theme that could be explored.
    Yet without doing so, your magic would be disbelieved rather easily.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

M0rt: Technically it's homebrew, but it's a Warhammer d20 system that our DM found online. It's floating around somewhere.
    Well, I've once seen rules for 40K set in D20 Modern. Is that it?
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-07-16 at 10:32 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. Ten character limit..

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kiero View Post
    So what have you got?
    Use to play the non d20 Call of Cthulhu

The most dreaded two words to players - "Sanity Check"
    Do NOT get attached to your characters because if you play long enough. your character will go insane

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

how is arcana unearthed / evolved not on the list?

HOW!?!?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I almost always play homebrew. Every gameplay issue aside, DnD is just too much paperwork.

What I'd love to play (in spite of DnD) however, is Planescape. And White Wolf Mage, primarily because I want to see that in action.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Outside of D&D, the only games I've played more than once are the old Star Wars D6 (I like it better than the D20 Star Wars) and Metabarons.
    Angel golfer avatar by Elrond.

Spoiler
    Show
    You are a d10: You are analytical, rational, and logical. You see the world around you as a succession of problems that can only be navigated via insightful and elegant solutions. You are not so interested in doing the right thing, as you are in finding the best way to do it. In other words, you're a complete nerd.
    Take the quiz at dicepool.com

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by new1965 View Post
    Use to play the non d20 Call of Cthulhu
    I very much want to try that. Very very much. Anybody in SW Ontario with the original Call of Cthulhu game?
    *Evil grin* "Snip snip."
    Kayru, City of Ancients (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    The wizard sleeps the fighter, and/or greases him for sneak attack, and/or uses color spray. And/or makes him too weak to use his armour. And does the laundry.

Avatar by Starwoof! Thank you kind sir!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

I have never played DnD. Ever.

Our group is totally and solely interested in GURPS, they find the classes of DnD make it too linear and uninteresting to play, and make character stereotyped.

It's served us well, we play rather rules-lite sometimes, storyline first (didn't used to be that way, long story [shudders]) and rules serve it. Despite this GURPS always seems to contain the rules for what we need, and caters well to whatever we seem to want to run, which is pretty much everything you can think of!
    You know, I've been thinking...
    I've had nightmares that start this way

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

My group has played Mage and GURPS. Apparently we're eventually going to play some Exalted, too.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

I play GURPS. I bought GURPS 4th edition early this summer, and now I'm running a Sci-Fi adventure with a couple friends. I don't own any other books (having deleted all of the illegally downloaded D&D books, for ethical reasons), though I played in a couple of really weird and short lived D&D campains, and one Star Wars D6. I liked that system, because it was simple, but I do like GURPS, on account of it's versatility, and more freedom with characters than D&D. (though maybe my players would complain less about not having enough character points.)
    This above message may or may not
    reflect the views of the message board,
    the poster, or any given individual.
    GiantITP is not responsible for the
    actions or beliefs of the above poster.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Old WoD, 7th sea, Exalted, Cyberpunk, FL4... thought that's in the past, mostly. Nowadays just War of the Ring and some MUDs ;)
    A bard, eh? What's your saving throw against things that don't get a saving throw?
    "Mourn if you must, but mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don."
    "Trollocs coming! Up axes and clear the fields! Trollocs coming!"

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticSheeple View Post
    Paint the chromatic dragons.
    I no longer post here due to moderator bias.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I'd say the Technocracy material isn't the least bit emo. You could play it a bit dystopically, I guess, but that's not the same thing.

That said, I'm presently running an Exalted (1ed) campaign, I'm in a D10 zombie-survival campaign (don't remember the ruleset name) and I've played Old WoD in the past, as well as a few other excellent games such as Kobolds Ate My Baby! and Ninja Burger.

Edit: Oh! And Mechwarrior and Shadowrun. I could never forget you, FASA.
    Last edited by Indon; 2007-07-16 at 02:47 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

our lot is having fun in the dark ages mage (WoD) game, same general themes as DnD with about a gazzillionth of the paperwork, plus a magic system that makes some kind of intergrated sense.

have also played WoD most games, Serenity, Angel/Buffy (not anywhere near as bad as some people on this forum seem to think) and Shadowrun (yay working for Dragons!!!!!)
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

ALL HAIL KING TORG!

Yes, from Kobolds Ate My Baby ... a very good tongue in cheek roleplaying game. =) Has anyone played Land of Og before? Fun times, fun times!

I've been playing the following RPGs:

• Savage Worlds' 50 Fathoms campaign - we just killed Blackbeard, my character died but we're going after the Sea Hags anyways!
    • d20 D&D - just finished DMing the Red Hand of Doom module (excellent, btw!) and playing in a Rappen Athuk campaign
    • Hackmaster - just dropped out of this group, but it was a blast!

Dizlag

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

I've played

Rolemaster
    Most of White Wolf setting
    Harn
    WHFRPG
    Deadlands
    Gurps
    Palladium Heros

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by clockwork warrior View Post
    how is arcana unearthed / evolved not on the list?

HOW!?!?
    It's a d20 game, and is for all intents and purposes, a reskinned dnd. It's a good game, but when asked what non d20 games i play, I would have no reason to mention it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

mostly GURPS, though i'll be running a Shadowrun 4th ED gaem soon, and we have an Arcanis game that we play twice a month.
    when i lay me down to sleep,
    i pray Cthulhu my soul to keep

I play WoW, do you?

Zulajas - Troll Hunter - Doomhammer
    Taelsyne - Blood Elf Warlock - Fire Tree
    Manmosurenja - Draenei Shaman - Kil'Jaden