New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Dinner with the OotS

For some odd, inexplicable reason, I find myself craving whatever food is mentioned in the comic.

With this comic, I suddenly felt the need for some chicken.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0467.html

And with the most recent one, I just cracked open a can of Dinty Moore for lunch.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0476.html

I know that this isn't just with me (Lloyd Alexander had this sort of habit when he was a kid, like eating honey when reading Winnie the Pooh, or a chicken leg to stand in for the prize turkey in A Christmas Carol).

I was wondering, does anyone else have this problem?
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dinner with the OotS

It's not something to worry about.

Now, if you'd said that every time you see Belkar kill someone you have to go out and replicate that, then I'd be worried.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kreistor View Post
    It's not something to worry about.

Now, if you'd said that every time you see Belkar kill someone you have to go out and replicate that, then I'd be worried.
    HAHAHA, good one.

Hey, I wonder, if a midget dressed up as Belkar and went on a killing spree, a real killing spree, screaming, "I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!" or "Hold still! I just need to defeat you!" or "Run, my pretty little chunks of XP, run!" or, "Bwaha! I have deep-seated emotional problems! Die! Die!" or any other quote of that sort, could Rich get sued? Or treated as an accomplice or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    Just checking... you do realize that when someone puts a funny hat on, they don't instantly split into two separate people, right?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

It's not a problem - trust me. I don't know how many times my mum asked my dad what he wanted for dinner and was told "something nice." You've got a huge advantage, suggestibility aside, in that you're inspired to choose specific foods based on what you read. As long as you never make chunky salsa out of lizard meat (which seems pretty grim anyhow) you should be OK.

Mockingbyrd, I suspect he'd be just fine... Games and movies have had to face this sort of thing to an extent, but they're far more universally popular - whatever we might feel - than the OotS. And even there, it takes an awful lot to establish that the media item actually drove the psychosis, rather than merely being a convenient addendum.
    Don't bother trying to appeal to my better nature; I don't have one.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGirl

Well, when I was re-reading the extra-chunky salsa strip, I did find myself wishing that I hadn't finished off the tortilla chips several days before. Can't say I particularly care for salsa, though - kobold-flavored or otherwise.
    Is it a bad sign when the team cleric decides
    he wants to burn the peasants?

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, I play WoW.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold-flavored salsa? Fine-chopped steak tartar with mole' on chips? Oh dang't, that sounds good...
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

7. - Top - End - #7

WhiteWizardGirl

yuk Re: Dinner with the OotS

When Belkar was preparing stew I flashbacked to the nasty, salt-free, "healthy" stews my mother makes. They have the driest beef or chicken in the world, and somehow I think Belkar's vulture soup would be like that, or better.
    Now every gambler knows that the secret to survivin
    Is knowing what to throw away and knowing what to keep.
    cause every hands a winner and every hands a loser,
    And the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep.

8. - Top - End - #8

I came in this topic thinking we'd guess what each ones favorite foods are...Lol.

Anyway, as to Belkar's tendencies....I'm told I can act like him at times.... should I be worried?
    how thog's pants turn purple?
    and then they punched a clown!

Soon: Only the honor of a Paladin is unbreakable, even in death, Ghost Martyrs of the Sapphire Guard, ATTACK!
    :O_O

Thanks so much to Shattersnap for the awesome Avatar

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Not until the authorities manage to apprehend you.

10. - Top - End - #10

(hides bloody daggers)
    Now now...there's no need to alert the authorities!
    >_>
    <_<
    how thog's pants turn purple?
    and then they punched a clown!

Soon: Only the honor of a Paladin is unbreakable, even in death, Ghost Martyrs of the Sapphire Guard, ATTACK!
    :O_O

Thanks so much to Shattersnap for the awesome Avatar

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mockingbyrd7 View Post
    HAHAHA, good one.

Hey, I wonder, if a midget dressed up as Belkar and went on a killing spree, a real killing spree, screaming, "I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!" or "Hold still! I just need to defeat you!" or "Run, my pretty little chunks of XP, run!" or, "Bwaha! I have deep-seated emotional problems! Die! Die!" or any other quote of that sort, could Rich get sued? Or treated as an accomplice or something?
    Now the better question is, if you were there when it happened, would you laugh, run away, or join in the carnage?
    Last edited by Wonton; 2007-07-20 at 11:36 PM.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Wonton2006 View Post
    Now the better question is, if you were there when it happened, would you laugh, run away, or join in the carnage?
    I personally would run away, get a disguise, and then join the carnage while laughing.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Every time I see Belkar kill someone I have to go out and replicate that.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

It's not like it's some overriding compuslion or anything. And most of the time I don't have the food specified in the comic anyway. I just happened to have three cans of beef stew when I read the most recent comic, and it was lunch-time anyway. Also, great! Now I need to buy some tortilla chips and salsa!
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2007-07-21 at 01:43 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

15. - Top - End - #15

Unfortunately, fireball-roasted barbecue dragon and ever-multiplying hydra heads are not available in my area.

I blame the distributors.

<Squire Cohort of the Roy Fanclub>
    <Loyal Parishoner of the Durkon Fanclub>
    <Merciless Avenger of the Miko Fanclub>

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

So sad, but so true. Are you sure those were dragons though? Dragons are supposed to uber-powerful and majestic. Those things just looked like giant snakes.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

I kind of want some stew now.