New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [d20 Dune] Voice from the Outer World

Caladan: year 10,191, just a week or so before House Atreides is scheduled to take over Arrakis.

Each of you has received a communiqué from your immediate superior in Cala City after dinner. The message is short, explaining only that your superior has recommended you to Thufir Hawat for a select mission. You are to report to the Duke‘s Command Center, at the heart of Castle Caladan.

Castle Caladan is a short distance from Cala City. The weather is overcast, promising rain, as the sun nears the horizon. Upon receiving your summons, you depart for the Command Center at the heart of Castle Caladan.

The entire Castle bustles with activity as soldiers, technicians and servants prepare for the journey to Arrakis. The low rumble of nearby thunder echoes through the long, dark hallways. No natural light penetrates this deep into the complex, but your way is lit by Glowglobes. At more than one point, guards stop you to check your security clearance.

Journeying ever deeper in to the ancient keep, you come at last to the Command Center. Knots of high ranking strategists purposefully move about, exchanging information. Your identity is checked one final time, and you are led to a waiting room. Inside the next room is, presumably, Thufir Hawat, the Duke‘s Mentat and Master of Assassins. You each see a few others there, apparently also waiting to see Thufir about this mission.

One of them is a Bene Gesserit, who is dressed in the typical black robe of the sisterhood, with her hood pulled back. She carries no visible equipment, though it would be fairly easy to conceal things within her robe. She has deep blue eyes, platinum blond hair tied up in an elaborate bun at the back of her head. Her face is smooth and pleasantly attractive, but she is not overly beautiful. The loose robe prevents any assessment of her body, but it is well known that all Bene Gesserit witches are well conditioned and tone, at least in their youth. She appears to be in her early 20s.

As each of you enters you notice that a serene look graces her visage, her eyes closed, as if in a trance. After a moment she opens her eyes to look at you, that freakishly penetrating gaze seeming to see right through to the deepest part of your being. She stares at you for a moment, a slight smile curling the edge of her lips before she closes her eyes again.

As the last person enters her eyes remain open as she stands and bows slightly in respect. In a soothing, smooth, very feminine tone she says, “Greetings, my name is Juladia. Apparently I am to accompany you on this mission. Very well do I know the reputation the sisterhood has in the minds of many Imperial citizens. I can only hope that we can overcome any negative connotations this may hold for any of you. If not, well, I understand. I am sure we are all professionals, and mature enough to work through any personal feelings about each other. I will state up front that my loyalties lie completely with House Atreides, the Duke Leto and the Lady Jessica. I would not be here if Thufir Hawat had not approved.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Roll Sense Motive if you wish.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-03-01 at 06:12 PM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: [d20 Dune] Voice from the Outer World

Freya read her notice, which told her to report to the command center. This must be big she things as she quickly gets herself together. She then heads to the command center with was much haste as was practicable. However in the end she was slowed down by constant checks to verify her identity. It didn't help that she was young. Many were adults, she was a teen, and not particularly old for a teen either, based on appearance. She looked every bit of 16 and no older. That said she wasn't likely to reveal her true age.

No one need wonder why the security was so high. Moving to arrakis was a trap, and a readily visible one. But as far as she had deduced, no one had a choice in the matter. She figured the only reason she was of any significance here was that, despite her young age,appearance based at least, she was on we way to becoming a full mentat. She's been trained practically from birth, not that she'd known it until a year ago. That was how it went, potential mentat were not supposed to know until they were ready. She'd even been trained by her "witch" mother, to a small degree at least.

When finally she had pased enough security clearences, she came to a room. She tried to be as quick and arrive as soon as she could. But there was already at least one person in the room, a girl whose robes made it clear what she was. She seemed to be gazing at her with a strange intensity, analizing her no doubt. While she had only the tiniest fragment of been gesseret training, she was a mentat, and had one of them as her mother, so she was somewhat used to piercing looks.

Freya sat in a corner, or as close to one as she could get, and gazed at her in a similar way for quite a while. It might even become a mild contest of who could haze most piercingly. Depending on the "witch"s experience, she might easily win. "Nice to meet you. You may no who I am, or not.. But it's only polite to introduce myself right? I'm Singer, Freya... Theircs an interesting story behind that surname... But now's not the time." People were always suspicious of "witches" but mentat were not better off. When you have unusual mental talents like that... It could creep people out. So Freya tried to be friendly, to ease any such tension. That said the logical mentat mindset said people talked more with friendly people, and more talk was more data. When people came in she'd be as friendly as she could. But she's quickly go silent when the woman spoke.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

So I believe you about her, but she's a mentat, this is just her being a mentat. XD So to forfill my characters roll...

Sense motive check! (1d20+15)[33]

+8 (ranks in the skill) +3 (Wis) +4 (Int) The Truthsayer feat let's me add my int now to this skill.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Waiting Room of Thufir's Office

As their eyes lock in a moment of mutual recognition of some shared skill, Juladia smiles knowingly at Freya. She nods once and says, "
    Indeed, I do know a bit about you, mentat. I am very pleased to finally meet you, Freya Singer. Yes, I believe we will have time to discuss such personal things later, if you wish it. I think I would find that particular conversation fascinating and illuminating."

Knowing that she was dealing with a mentat, Juladia needed to use no other skills to understand that Freya spoke the truth. Deception only served to muddle their data, and clarity of input was vital to their very existence. She also knew very well that all mentats constantly sought data, and that anything they experience could likely be easily recalled at any time for further computation.

"So tell us if you will, mentat, have you sufficiently calculated a viable reason for our presence here yet? Certainly you have accumulated some points of data already. But is it sufficient for such a projection?" As she finished speaking the hint of a sarcastic smile crossed her face momentarily. Obviously this human was very well trained at projecting exactly what she wanted others to know, and absolutely nothing else.

Clearly, just from her words and the way she spoke them, Juladia knew a good deal about mentats and how their mind works. As far as Freya could tell, nothing spoken by the Bene Gesserit had even the slightest hint of deception. Given their prana-bindu training, there was no body language to add more data points to that conclusion beyond her facial expressions. Indeed, while different in many ways, the Bene Gesserit and Mentats shared quite a bit, being two of the schools who trained their students to be advanced humans.

It occurred to Freya to wonder if Juladia had also trained as a mentat. It was well known that some in the sisterhood underwent such training. But few of them ever left the school on Wallach IX, Could she be one of those few? Time and exposure to her, along with careful observation, would certainly bring a clear answer to that.

Show
    Remember that this all happens after everyone arrives. So I will pause there and wait to see if any other players post anything before continuing. Unless, of course, Freya does, says or asks something that Juladia would respond to immediately. Others may find it interesting to simply observe this exchange, or be completely oblivious to and uncaring about it.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-03-02 at 11:30 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

4. - Top - End - #4

NecromancerGirl

Freya listened carefully, no doubt her mentat mind prosessing things. She spoke and Freya listened, not listening with a blank face and a piercing glare, but like a normal person. She disliked her attitude though, mostly the second part. "No. I don't know, and I'd be a fool to declare my ideas without more information. But... Why the sarcasm? Is it aimed at me nor rather the mental training itself? I know I was, as you obviously know, trying to get a read on you. But you were me as well. I doubt your angry because I tried to get a feel for you and your motivations, because if that was rude you wouldn't have done it yourself. My guess then is simply I'll feelings regarding all this training and observing and analysing. Understandable. You should know though that I don't suspect you because of what you are. I have no hatred or dislike of them." By them it was clearly meant to be the so called "witches". "Despite the training, we are both still people. Besides, biase obscures the thirty, and muddied the data." She spoke the last bit in a detached, clam, almost robotic tone, and smiled. The joys of self depreciating humor.

Show

Sorry I meant to wait but I couldn't get my mind if my response and need to sleep. Again running a sense motive check to see if I can get a grip on the sarcasm and it's meaning. I'm also (I meant to do this last post and forgot) entering mentat focus. I'll also roll constitution in case you seem something very distracting in while we are here.

(1d20+11)[17]
    Sense Motive (4 ranks, 3 wks, 4 int.)

(1d20+8)[9]
    Autohypnosis (4 ranks, 4 int)

(1d20+8)[13]
    Concentration (4 ranks 4 int)

To specify in case it was necessary, she's just inwardly focusing on her motivations and whatnot of her sarcasm and the like. Thanks for being understanding with a newbie!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

The door behind them swings open, and Daniel Fabris walks through, straightening the hem of his tunic."Thufir, ah...Reverend Mother, I apologise for being late," he says, offering the two of them a bow. "Your summons caught me at a bad time, and I wasn't able to extricate myself from my duties as quickly as I thought I would."

The Atreides armsman stands to attention besides the mentat, towering nearly a full head over her. "So, should I assume we are here to be introduced to each other and then briefed?"
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Waiting Room of Thufir's Office

With a blank expression, and in a tone devoid of any emotion, Juladia replies to the mentat, "The sarcasm was only projected in the smile as a test of sorts, to learn the depth and efficiency of your training and your skills at observation. But you have mistakenly concluded that there is any anger involved. I have utmost respect for mentat training, but not all mentats use that training wisely. Indeed, I think the same of the sisterhood, perhaps more so."

With a slight bow of her head to the armsman she adds, "It is a pleasure to meet you. Your assumption seems valid to me. Introduction is in order, I believe. We two have already introduced ourselves. Would you be so kind as to share your name with us? I am certain Thufir will admit us soon and brief us all about our mission."
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-03-02 at 11:30 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Thufir's Office

Show
    You may each post once more before the following occurs. You can also just include that in one post, your reaction to Juladia's last post and your reaction, if any, to this one.

Only a few minutes of waiting after the last person arrives, an older, grizzled man with medium-length white hair and a garish, inkvine scar running down his right cheek emerges from Thufir‘s office. You all recognize him as Gurney Halleck. He leaves the door open and, before leaving the waiting room, he says jauntily to the characters, “Well, go on inside. Mustn‘t keep the old man waiting!

You all enter Thufir‘s office, where he sits at a large desk working. It‘s a spartan place with no decorations. A glowglobe hangs over his left shoulder and three chairdogs are arranged in front of his desk. They are in the room for several seconds before Thufir finishes his work, and examines them for the first time. If they haven’t already he says, “Close the door.

Thufir reviews his new recruits a moment, “I personally handpicked each of you for this very special mission,” he says, “at the recommendation of your superiors. I have reviewed your performance individually, studied your backgrounds, and watched you at your jobs. I have observed your initial interaction and I project that you will work well together.

Juladia, your skills of observation and ability to determine the truth are shared to an extent with Freya. These will prove very useful in this mission. Also, your stealth will serve you well in Arrakeen.

Freya, being a young mentat has obvious advantages, though I admit to some bias in this view. However, in cold calculations I foresee your skills being invaluable to this mission and those with whom you share it.

Daniel, your martial skills and devotion will doubles be indispensable when dealing with Harkonnen treachery. While these other two can certainly handle themselves in a fight, your training and efficiency at martial skills surpasses them, and will likely only get better as you gain experience using them.

After a brief pause he begins to explain their mission, “House Atreides has been granted the CHOAM contract to mine spice, and the governorship of Arrakis that goes with it. Planning for the crossing began weeks ago. Our rivals - House Harkonnen - ruled Arrakis for 80 years. They will use this opportunity to attack House Atreides with traps and sleeper agents left behind from the Harkonnen Regime.

The Duke has declared Kanly against the Baron. I suspect it may escalate into a War of Assassins soon after we arrive, if not before. Enemies wait around every corner, hidden in every secret place on Arrakis. I am sending you, as one of many, advance teams to Arrakis to prepare for the Duke‘s arrival. The first of these troops arrived just two days ago.

You are being dispatched as a special team at the request of the Coordinator, Aidan Bosque. He is a Mentat-Strategist who made Count Hasamir Fenring‘s former palace at Arrakeen his base. I believe Arrakeen is the most defensible city on the planet, and the plan is to base all of House Atreides‘ operations there initially.

Initially you will be working for Bosque, clearing out the Imperial Palace. You will have many duties, and will eventually be dispatched into the city surrounding the palace to search for Harkonnen spies, agents, and sympathizers. Bosque will give you all the support you need, but you will be operating independently most of the time. Bosque already has all the soldiers he needs. He needs Agents. Special operatives who can move about unseen and quickly respond to any emergency. The Harkonnens are devilishly clever, not to be underestimated.

In a gruff voice, with a clearly dismissive tone, he says, “Now, go report to Dr. Yueh. He has more information for you, and will be able to provide you anything else you need.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

8. - Top - End - #8

"Of course." Daniel dips his head to the witch, and says, "My name is Daniel Fabris, an Armsman of the House. Presumably here to watch your backs while you accomplish the important tasks that need to be done."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGirl

Freya has already introduced herself, but she payed special attention to names, commuting them to memory. Freya said nothing to her response, though through body language showed that she understood and agreed. She just wasn't sure what to verbally say at this point. Freya considered for a moment. "My apologies then, for missunderstanding your meaning. Though I can wholeheartedly agree with that statement. And it's nice to meet you as well." The second sentence she said to Daniel.

Freya would sit relatively silently for a moment, before some emerged. Gurney, of course he would be in contact with Hawat. Gurney was, as Freya understood it, one of the good duke's most trusted men. She smiled softly and gave a slight now towards Gurney, nothing great but a show of respect. She would move to close the door after anyone was in, and, unless Hawat made any indication that she should stand. If he by gesture or words indicated they should sit, she would, but would turn the chair sideways so she could turn her head for easy viewing of the door. If he didn't gesture to sit, she would stand similarly.

She was a still not an experienced mentat yet, but with her training, it went against her instincts to sit or stand with her back to a door. She doubted that He sat, as the most experienced mentat She's ever seen, would have any problems with her standing or turning a chair sideways before sitting.

Freya focused, concentrating mentally to absorb all of his words and commit them to memory, her face mostly blank, with a mild, friendly smile and a look of concentration. She had surmised much of this, to a degree, but not the details. She hasn't been expecting this job though. She had expected any look at her profile to dismiss her due to her age. She tried to avoid divulging that but He sat definitely knew. You can't hide such things from such a skilled and experienced mentat, so she didn't even try. Focus.... Commit it to memory this is a lot of valuable information.

When Hawat finished she would do as ordered and Head to Dr. Yueh. Perhaps he wanted to imunize them against the planet's more common viruses as well? That wouldn't be surprising. It made sense that the doctor was to see them before they headed out.

Show

(1d20+8)[18]
    Autohypnosis to help with the mentat trance

She'll remark or respond if He sat does or says anything in response her behavior or something next post, of course. I had to make note of things instead of just assuming she'd walk in, listen, and leave. XD

Please.. Not another nat 1...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Thufir's Office
    There's a little more time to talk as you walk to the doctor's offices. So feel free to continue if you wish.

Thufir acknowledges the wise precaution taken by Freya by not sitting with her back to the door with an ever so slight smile and nod at her. It was one of his pet peeves, actually, though he said nothing about it.

Yueh's Office
    After leaving Thufir, you journey through the Command Center to the Duke‘s surgical theater and Dr. Yueh‘s offices. As with the rest of the Command Center, the theater is bustling with activity. There are few injuries to treat, but much research to do. Lots of plants are being tested, along with drugs and substances to prolong life in the desert. Dr. Yueh‘s office is guarded, and you must be announced. After identifying yourselves to the guard, and having your identity checked again, an escort leads you inside.

Yueh is a slight man, nowhere near as imposing as Thufir. The telltale diamond tattoo on his forehead symbolizes the Suk conditioning, meaning he is entirely trustworthy. His black and oversized uniform emphasizes his small frame. His long black hair is tied back and looped through a silver ring, another symbol of the Suk.

Yueh is soft-spoken, commanding respect through his station and the wealth of his knowledge. He greets you by name and says, “I am the Duke‘s expert on planetary ecology for Arrakis. I have studied the filmbooks extensively and briefed all the commanders who already left.

Using a solido projector to project a 3-D image of Arrakis, he explains, “Rain never falls on the planet. All the water is locked into the rocks and the extremely small polar regions. So there is a great need for water rationing. We know what the Harkonnen ration limits were, but I suspects these were too tough. The first wave will be testing my new numbers, and your inspection of the House Water Facilities will be key in my understanding of the needs of the troops in this barren place.

Yueh adds, “There is a Suk doctor named Loikan serving with Aidan Bosque on Arrakis now. Seek him out if you have any medical needs.

As he gives each of you an inoculation, he says, “This will protect you against any pathogens or viruses you might encounter on the ship or on Arrakis. It will also lessen the harsh effects of the hot and dry environment on your body for a short period. Thufir tells me you‘re to leave immediately. There‘s a lighter leaving this evening. Pack your things and be on it. Aboard you will find a filmbook with more information about Arrakis and melange. It also includes what little we know of the sandworms and the Fremen. Any questions? Do you have everything you need?

Juladia shrugs, "Any drugs or poisons you have that could help us on our mission would be much appreciated. A few vials of acid, a bullseye lantern, and maybe a poison sniffer? Also a paracompass, oil-lens binoculars, some rope, a grappling hook and a few sets of manacles would serve us well."

Yueh raised an eyebrow at this list and considered for a moment before he replies, "Aidan Bosque can supply you with some of that equipment once you arrive. I will provide you with a poison sniffer and a vial of acid for each of you. Though I suspect you will not need it, I will also give you one dose of truth serum." He turns to his supply cabinets and drawers to collect those things and hands them over, "Anything else?"

Juladia shrugs ever so slightly as she takes her vial of acid. Taking a small box from her robe she adds it to the small collection of vials securely stored within and replaces the box in her robe. She makes sure the armsman has the poison sniffer and truth serum as she says, "This will suffice. Thank you, Doctor Yueh."

She moves toward the door but waits for the others if they have other questions or requests.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-03-05 at 09:42 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

11. - Top - End - #11

NecromancerGirl

Freya walks along to Dr. they rather quitely. Not so much still, formal silence as a simple lack of words being spoken from her. Her head filtering through things the Rules mentat and master of assassin's had said. So it was kanly... War of assassin's... The need for such strenuous security was obvious. And they were just meeting with the duke's mentat and doctor. If they had to meet the duke himself the security checks would no doubt be 10 fold worse. Kanly... Vendetta. What a time for this, to go be forced into such a hostile planet. She needed more information. "Clearing out the palace" clearly didn't mean they would be decorating and dusting. More like looking for traps and making sure no harkonnen was his i 92nd in the palace. This could be dangerous. But she'd rather die than be responsible for missing something and some trap killing the duke of his family. But wait... No... That didn't make sense. They wouldn't leave a job so vital purely in their hands. This might be a test. Aidan Bosque would be their commander while they were there. Hawat had mentioned he was a mentat as well... Could this then be a test? No doubt Hawat or some superior would searched after them as well. Kanly...

Freya would procede with them to the doctor, still sorting through information, still trying to file every little scrap of information for future recall.

Freya listened and watched, without responding much. She had already surmised rain wasn't a thing there for the most part, but never? He continued. "Your inspection" that was some useful intell. They would be doing that then? Fair enough. Meeting the water needs of the duke's forces would be key. If they were too dehydrated they would be unable to work effectively.

She listened as Jules is requests provisions. Acid? Why acid? It would do you no good unless you had a good grip of chemistry and chemicals. Still... She wouldn't refuse it. The poison snooker made perfect sense. No one wanted to risk poison, and considering kanly had been declared, they should expect poison. "Yes doctor, do you, or anyone else happen to have information on the native people's? Any additional information on theirs customs, traditions, standard diet, typical values, and any religious or moral beliefs common among the people would be invaluable. No doubt your information on the fremen will be incredibly useful. However there could be hsrkonen agents hidden among the city folk. If we had a good grip of the city film's culture, beliefs, and any religions common for them, it could help us identify any Harkonnen who don't know such things."

Spoiler: OoC, aka the sense motive list
    Show

(1d20+8)[15]
    Autohypnosis, 4 ranks+not Now sure if you want me to roll this every turn to mainly the effect but in till I am sure I'll ere on the side of caution.

(1d20+11)[18]
    Dr Yueh (4+3+4, ranks+wis+int)

(1d20+11)[23]
    Juladia

Again, I trust what you said about her, but acid sounds like enough of an abnormal request to make Freya curious. She'd not staring her down or something, just mulling it over. As for doctor Yueh... Just because she's a mentat and analysis is her job.

Edited to specify IC what she meant. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
    Last edited by Mai; 2017-03-02 at 02:38 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Yueh's Office

I know the mentat would not miss the bit about "what little we know about the sandworms and the Fremen", but you seemed to. Yueh mentioned there being a filmbook aboard the ship, which includes this. He wrote it, so would know nothing else.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-03-05 at 09:40 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gryndel View Post
    I know the mentat would not miss the bit about "what little we know about the sandworms and the Fremen", but you seemed to. Yueh mentioned there being a filmbook aboard the ship, which includes this. He wrote it, so would know nothing else.
    I didn't. I meant specifically non few men locals as well. He seemed to specify Freeman only when saying that. Thier culture could differ dramatically for all she knows, and if they want agents that can blend and, she needs cultural information on the non freemen natives as well. Sorry I should have clarified in the OoC section. Thanks though, for catching that. It's inevitable that mistakes will be made. In addition the non few men natives have been living under the Harkonnen as well, and may have strong views about them. In addition there may be Harkonnen agents hidden am o by them and a good grip on their culture and ideology could help expose someone who was not aware of such things.
    Last edited by Mai; 2017-03-02 at 02:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Yueh's Office

After a moment's thought, Freya realizes that acid could be used as a subtle and delicate tool for metal and other materials, such as opening locks and such. It could also be used as a crude weapon, burning into flesh ruthlessly. The fact that Juladia had asked for it, and that Doctor Yueh had provided it without question also hinted at how useful it could be. There may well be other reasons for this, but the Bene Gesserit was very adept at hiding her motives, all but impervious even to the powers of a mentat.

The education of a mentat was wide and varied, including knowledge about a great many things. While it was well known to her as a mentat that the sisterhood also taught their initiates many things, chemistry was not typically one of them. (Freya knows they are taught about behavioral sciences, civics, history, theology & philosophy.) Of course, Juladia could know a bit about it, or be an expert in it due to personal interest. Or maybe she was simply applying general knowledge about the usefulness of acid in many situations.

Of course, she could always just ask Jualdia; maybe she would get a satisfactory answer.

Yueh is being open and honest, and is providing as much help as he could.

Juladia, once again, was hard to read. Freya strongly suspected that she always would be. But her simple deduction concluded that Juladia's motives and intent seemed focused on making sure the group she was part of succeeded. As to why she requested acid, that remains inconclusive.

Spoiler: Autohypnosis
    Show
    I presume she's using it for the mentat trance thing. This is something you could maintain while taking no actions beyond moving and other simple physical tasks, but you would need a concentration check to maintain it during other activity, including talking and gathering new data. So you can end it, talk and such, then start again, or you can maintain it with a concentration check. For a mentat that should be fairly easy, so DC 10 for maintaining it while talking or otherwise gathering data, DC 15 if you're running or climbing or such, DC 20 during combat, and some extreme circumstances might require DC 25. For this, DC 10.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-03-05 at 09:39 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Yueh's Office

Quote Originally Posted by Mai View Post
    She listened as Jules is requests provisions. Acid? Why acid? It would do you no good unless you had a good grip of chemistry and chemicals. Still... She wouldn't refuse it. The poison snooker made perfect sense. No one wanted to risk poison, and considering kanly had been declared, they should expect poison. "Yes doctor, do you, or anyone else happen to have information on the native people's? Any additional information on theirs customs, traditions, standard diet, typical values, and any religious or moral beliefs common among the people would be invaluable. No doubt your information on the fremen will be incredibly useful. However there could be Harkonnen agents hidden among the city folk. If we had a good grip of the city folk's culture, beliefs, and any religions common for them, it could help us identify any Harkonnen who don't know such things."
    Doctor Yueh thinks for a moment, then replies, "The only true natives there are Fremen. All the others are a collection of people from across the Imperium. While I suspect they do have some Fremen customs in Arrakeen, since some few Fremen are reported to live in the city, the other locals likely have only a loose collection of customs unique to each group. I think this would also apply to traditions, religions, diets, values and moral beliefs. Sorry I can't be more help in this, but so little is known about Arrakis. I have little doubt that the locals have some very deeply held resentments toward the previous rulers, as do most who deal with that vile House."

Juladia says, "We will simply have to rely on our wits, skills, powers of observation, and Freya's ability to come to logical conclusions to glean such information ourselves. Perhaps Aidan Bosque will have more useful information for us concerning these things."
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-03-05 at 09:37 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

16. - Top - End - #16

"Yes, I actually have one other question," Duncan chimes in. "What sort of environmental hazards are we expecting to face? Obviously, it is a desert planet, so we'll presumably be needing hot weather gear, but is there any specialized equipment we will need? Or anything that is going to be rendered non-functional by the environment there?"

I have a quote!
    I like you.

17. - Top - End - #17

NecromancerGirl

Freya acknowledged the doctor with a nod and a quick thank you. She had hoped more detailed information was known. Sure immigrants brought thiet own culture... But when you live in a place for decades, your culture and view start to chance from one generation to the next. This is how many stable cultures began. That said 80 years wasn't much, and no doubt the Harkonena weren't into building the people up.

Freya isn't quite sure how to respond to that last bit. Responding would just make it... Awkward. So she doesn't speak. It felt like saying much here could come across badly so she tried to pay attention to Daniel. He had asked a good solid question she was ashamed she hasn't asked. Freya would listen to the doctors every word on the subject. It could impact what kind of equipment she would bring herself, there might be some useful information for the taking.

Show
    (1d20+8)[10] Concentration

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Yueh's Office

Doctor Yueh nods once at Daniel (not Duncan), "Heat is one of the biggest concerns there. Without some protection it taxes the body of a normal person quickly, draining their vitality. Also, armor and other restrictive clothing exacerbate this effect. Loose robes or cloaks with hoods can lessen the effects of the heat (All temperature cloak, cost 150 solaris). The inoculation I gave you will grant you some protection, but only for about a week. Doctor Loikan will be able to renew this as needed.

The heat should not have much of an affect on your equipment. Though leaving certain materials out in the direct sunlight for extended periods will certain degrade some things. The dust and sand, blown by the winds, can foul mechanical items such as projectile weapons. Breathing mask
    (cost 200 solaris) filters (25 solaris each) must be changed often, if worn. With water being such a valued commodity means that bathing is all but forbidden, so sand and grit can be irritating at least, and over time could cause other health issues.

As he talks of these items he pulls them from his locker and offers them to each of you. You get up to 5 mask filters each. Juladia accepts a mask and filters, but she already has a robe that includes the same protection.

And of course, the melange is found everywhere on Arrakis, including microscopic particles suspended in the air. Over time this will likely cause exposure sufficient to saturate the blood with it, and possibly cause addiction to it. That should not be a concern, from all the data we have collected, for many months in the city. Properly maintained breathing masks will extend this period significantly. I would presume this would be accelerated in the desert, being the source and having much less protection from the elements.

Reports indicate that out in the desert the worst of the sandstorms can flay the flesh from a person very quickly. This should not be a concern for you, at least initially. If, for some reason, you find yourself there, you should certainly be well equipped for that.

So stay covered, avoid daylight exposure as much as possible, wear a breathing mask and change the filters often, and above all stay hydrated. Anything else?
    "

Show
    There are rules for the heat exposure, which we will get into if/when appropriate. Suffice it to say it is a fort save, the all temperature cloak grants +2 to this, and the hotter it is the harder the DC will be. Failure would mean some vitality point damage, and the check would be each hour, which gets harder for each failure you have.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-03-05 at 09:37 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

19. - Top - End - #19

NecromancerGirl

Freya took some time to think. She took the items he offered. "Thank you, I would be only to happy to pay... I'd rather you not be out money. Or is this kind of thing something to duke of Hawat wanted kfor the forces and it doesn't cost you?" Freya takes out a wallet to offer to repay him. "What expense was this on you or the the Atredies?"

"You mentioned equipment trouble, how do shields fare? Could they help stop the brunt of any such winds, or are the sand and dust likely to somehow get inside the mechanism? I have thought of buying one but now that you mention equipment troubles I thought I should ask." Freya would smile somewhat and listen. If no one asked any questions to provoke his response after this, Freya is ready to leave.

Show

I know shields cause issues and don't work so well OoC, but was heavily debating buying one anyway because Freya didn't know that. XD but... Now that Daniel steered the conversation into these waters and Yueh mentioned equipment issues, I have the excuse to ask IC. I'd he doesn't know anything I'm probably buy one just for the sake of that's what Freya would do.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Yueh's Office

Doctor Yueh smiles at Freya, "All this is provided by the Duke for his loyal subjects free of charge. As to the shield, it is yet unknown to what extent they work or have trouble in that environment. I'd suggest taking it, you can always deactivate it."

Juladia shrugs ever so slightly, "I am certainly taking mine, Freya."

Show
    This is one of the pieces of equipment that would be considered standard issue to all members of the Atreides many troops and support staff. So you would have a standard model without cost. If you want to upgrade it you would have to pay the difference in cost.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-03-05 at 09:36 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Yueh's Office

Once again doctor Yueh asks, "Anything else I can help with before you depart?"

Juladia had been waiting patiently by the door, "Nothing else for me."
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-03-05 at 09:36 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGirl

Freya smiles and thanks the doctor again before taking his place next to Juladia by the door. It was time to set off, and get this started, and she didn't want to delay such a mission any further. Everyone knew how important preparing the new hope for the final family was. They had to act fast.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Yueh's Office

Doctor Yueh smiles at the group as they leave, “While I’m confident that you know this already, I was instructed to make it explicitly clear that given the nature of your mission you should not tell any of your companions, friends or family why you are going to Arrakis early. Good luck to you!

The Star Searcher

Each of you go to your respective quarters to gather the rest of your belongings, with an agreement to meet at the restaurant in a hotel called The Star Searcher near the spaceport in an hour. By the time you all gather there the cold rain has started to fall. The Star Searcher is a large building that contains a bar, a restaurant, and floors above filled with rooms to rent to visitors to Caladan. It is somewhat upper class, but not exotic or overly expensive.

Inside the restaurant you find Juladia sitting at a table in the back corner with a man. Her back is against the wall and he is sitting so that he can see the main door and the kitchen door. She has the hood of her robe pulled back, half a drink on the table before her. Those piercing eyes of hers dart from alertly scanning the room and those within to lock onto you as you enter. She subtly raises a hand to make sure you see her, then returns to observing her surroundings.

When you join them, Juladia continues her visual observations of the room, her hands held in front of her in what you have observed is her habit of lightly touching the fingertips of each hand together, with the fingers slightly spread. She speaks in a volume intended for only those at the table to hear, “The lighter is scheduled to leave in less than an hour. A groundcar is waiting outside for us, and it will take only a few minutes to get to the ship, so we have a little time to talk. This is Rafa, for those of you might not know him. Rafa, this is Freya and Daniel. Rafa will be joining us, and I have been informed that Thufir Hawat approved his inclusion in our mission. I leave it to him to explain why he was not at the meetings.

She raises her voice a little and adds, “I advise you both to eat something. While the food on the Lighter is likely to be good, this might be the last exquisite meal we get in some time. Rafa and I have already eaten; the grouper is outstanding tonight, and comes with fresh bread, spiced baked potato wedges and green beans. Just show your identity card and there will be no charge; the Duke takes such good care of the people in his service.

After a sip of her drink, which seems to be iced tea, she looks casually at each of you and speaks in a jovial tone, “I intend to form a bond of trust and friendship between us, so I will be as forthcoming as possible.

She pauses to sip her tea, then continues in an emotionless tone, “I will start by telling you that I have served Lady Jessica for a few years now. At first I was primarily a House servant, a maid, until she learned to trust my loyalty to her and motivations beyond what they drill into us in the sisterhood. In recent years I have served her exclusively, and she has often utilized the talents I honed while training with the sisterhood on Wallach IX for security and other purposes for House Atreides. She now trusts me implicitly, and has divulged more than a few closely held bits of information about the family and the House to me in confidence. Out of loyalty to her, I cannot share those with anyone.

She smiles broadly, a genuinely friendly gesture, as she concludes in that jovial tone, “But I will answer any other questions you might have about me, my particular talents and skills, my past, or my time here on Caladan.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-03-07 at 07:23 PM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

24. - Top - End - #24

Daniel slides into the table opposite Juladia, notably not in his uniform and instead clad in a long leather jacket. "If Thurfir Hawat trusts him, that's good enough for me," Daniel says. "Good to have you along, Rafa."

He flags down a passing waiter, muttering an order to her before settling down in his chair. "You know, if this actually is 'exquisite', I think it'll be my first meal paid for by the Duke that is. And while I have no doubt, Reverend Mother, that a mutual trust in each other's abilities will be very neccessary to surviving our mission, I'm afraid the reputation of your order does...somewhat precede you."

"As for myself, I'm a soldier of the Duke, with all the training that entails, though I am fairly new to the job. But if Gurney and Duncan have enough trust in my capabilities to recommend me for a mission like this, I must have been doing something right."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

The Star Searcher

Juladia replies, "I am not a Reverend Mother, Daniel, merely a Bene Gesserit Adept. I possess all the training that the school always provides. I am trained in martial arts, which is enhanced by what is known as the Prana Bindu conditioning of the sisterhood. I also posses a maula pistol and a dagger, both of which I know how to use proficiently. I am also somewhat adept at stealth."

With a slight shrug she adds, "As to the reputation of the sisterhood, I wholeheartedly agree. I will reiterate that my loyalties lie completely with the Atreides. My view of the sisterhood is that they practice a form of slavery, especially with their breeding program, which I abhor vehemently. However, I am aware that this is not an attitude easily acceptable to those who are aware of the sisterhood's history. I can only ask that you try to view me as an individual with her own motivations and goals in life, not an indoctrinated and enslaved sister in servitude to the Bene Gesserit."

She smiles at Daniel and says softly, "I am confident that your military training will lend itself to brave actions against any Harkonnens or their agents. I see that you carry a sword, so presumably you are a trained swordsman. Are you also trained in the use of explosives?"
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-03-07 at 07:22 PM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

26. - Top - End - #26

NecromancerGirl

Freya heads in and notices Juladia, who no doubt came noticeably early considering Freya had intended to be slightly early and still arrived later than her. She headed over and took a seat in as similar a fashion as possible, trying not to again, leave her back to a door. She listened and nodded politely to Rafar, with a simple word of welcome as well. Freya closed her eyes for the briefest moment and concentrated, tipping herself into a sort of trance used by the mentat.

She listened to Juladia and Daniel mostly silently, trying to absorb all this information. However 91st the bit about her view of the sisters, Freya smiled. ”My mother would like you.” she said, her voice low enough to avoid carrying to other tables. ”She was a sister too… but she left when she found out about that but… the idea of being unknowingly bred with a relative wicked her. Needless to say she never wanted me to join the sisters. But my dad… being loyal to the duke, wanted me trained as a mentat. Supposedly because of career opportunities I would guess.” Freya smiled at the half joke.

Freya was currently struggling with herself. You see she had some non mentat abilities due to a small degree of training from her mother. But did she reveal those? If the “witches” didn’t know she didn’t want to risk letting them know. She had no desire to be used by the group her mother abandoned.

Spoiler: OoC and Contengency.
    Show

(1d20+11)[31]

(1d20+11)[23]

The first is for Juladia, the second for Rafar. I am also going to use an action point to invoke the secondary ability of Freya's Weirding ability.

”Truthsaying [Weirding]
    You have been trained to notice the minute signs of deception, and
    recognize the truth when you hear it.
    Prerequisites: Wis 13+, Weirding Way.
    Benefit: You may add your Intelligence modifier in addition to your
    Wisdom modifier to any Sense Motive checks to determine the
    veracity of a statement.
    Additionally, after a successful Sense Motive check, you may
    immediately spend an action point to determine if the character is lying
    outright, telling a half-truth, or if the target truly believes what they are
    saying.

Normal: You add your Wisdom modifier to all Sense Motive checks.”
    Assuming my sense motive check is successful, I spend said action point to use the above ability, as underlined. Not for any out of character reason, but because Freya feels she has to be absolutely sure that Juladia is being truthful and isn’t reporting to the sisters.

If Juladia isn’t lying or telling half truth, Freya will do the following. If she is, she won’t.

Freya smiles awkwardly and considers for another moment, before trying to meet eyes with Juladia, then lower her gaze towards her hands, off to her side. Freya motions somewhat with her hands, in what wouldn’t be incomprehensible to most, but which she knows to be benne gesseret sign language. She doesn’t give any elaborate message, but the fact that she is even a losing Juladia to know that enough trust has been established for Freya to feel somewhat secure enough to alert her to her ability to use their sign language. She would explain more openly, but having just met radar and not having any grip on his personally… Freya elected to only clue Juladia in, because none of the others would understand, and explaining verbally in front of Radar?.... Not a good idea.

Show

Again, she will only do the above if she gets no sense that Juladia is lying or telling half truths. Sorry for not posting earlier.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

The Star Searcher

From what Freya can tell, Juladia is being completely honest and open. Of course, ooc she could've just rolled a high bluff vs the sense motive. But with the action point, the mentat is 99.999% sure of the veracity. It all fits into her personality, story (which is verifiable), and everything she has said and done so far.

Juladia returns the smile, then signals for the waitress. In doing so she flicks a finger subtly to simply acknowledge understanding to Freya. She orders more tea and honey, this time with cinnamon, as she returns her hands to their finger tent on the table.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-03-06 at 09:13 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

28. - Top - End - #28

"I hope you will forgive my mistake. I was under the impression everyone the sisterhood let off of their planet was a Reverend Mother," Daniel replies. "As for my training, yes, I can serve as demolitions if the need arises, as well as a medic, a pilot, and a guide in most areas of the wild. However, I am not primarily any of those things, and am first and foremost just a soldier."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

The Star Searcher

My correction of your misunderstanding is my forgiveness, Daniel," Juladia shrugs once and continues, “Usually I would not bother, allowing someone to believe that erred conclusion. But since I desire your trust and friendship, I think it best to be truthful at every opportunity.

Pausing to acknowledge the waitress who brought her fresh tea, the witch adds, “You see, the sisterhood purposely fosters such beliefs among the general population of the Imperium. Indeed, most of those who offer their services to leaders of noble houses and other influential political and business leaders are Reverend Mothers. But in truth, most sisters who venture forth from Wallach IX are loyal Adepts.

Lowering her voice a bit she sighs softly and admits, “In my case, I will very likely never have the opportunity to attempt the transformation into a Reverend Mother. I abandoned the sisterhood and left without permission, so the Mother Superior of the order officially banished me in the public record so I could not sully their reputation. Typically, I do not bother to explain, since I find it much simpler to allow people to believe their mistaken assumptions. Lady Jessica has always advised me to continue doing so, but the Duke and his trusted inner circle have always known the truth.

After a sip of her tea, she says cheerfully, “So you possess a well-rounded skill set. That is excellent Daniel. I suspect that we will all come to rely on you heavily in this mission. Indeed, the skills we each possess will doubtless be important to our overall success, as projected by Thufir.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-03-07 at 07:20 PM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGirl

Freya smiles and listens as they speak again. "I agree. I don't know the fight thing about piloting... Anything really. My training has been relatively focused so far on things I needed to learn most by my tutor and mother. Things like creating chemicals and poisons, concentration skills, awareness, behavioral sciences, and the ability to sense others motives. And I guess... Since no one here has been dishonest as far as I can tell... Truthsaying. It's uh... Juladia might be the only one to really know what that is... I don't have much training in Weirding abilities from my mother, but I've developed the ability to detect lies, half truths, and the like. I'm more a mental skills than physical skills type of person to be honest." Freya smiled. It had taken her a while... But she had finally felt sure enough that her team would function better if they were more aware of her skills and weaknesses.

Freya went back to eating her meal, and finished it for the most part after a few minutes. She listened and nibbled on potato wedges as she absorbed the conversation)

Show

(1d20+8)[26]

Concentration check to maintain it. If I recall you said that's all I needed to maintain the mentat trance. I'll double check when I post. But just to be sure, I'll roll and Auto hypnosis too. Sorry for the delay!

(1d20+8)[14]