New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

biggrin "Crab people, crab people..." err, I mean Mirelurk stats

I'm sure many of you know the hideous humanoid mutant crab-like creatures from the Fallout series. My better half made me watch the South Park episode with the Crab People song, and I had an instant association with Mirelurks (I know, I know, I had a huge hole in my "Common Knowledge").

It had me thinking though... what if I made stats for the thing so I could "pay back" someday when they end up face to face with a group of "crab people".

I'm just not sure how should I progress with this idea. Maybe make an amalgamation of some humanoid creature and crab stats?

Spoiler: MIRELURK!
    Show
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-03-03 at 04:05 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: "Crab people, crab people..." err, I mean Mirelurk stats

First up, you need to figure out just what do you want to do - a humanoid crab, ala the Fallout 3 Mirelurk and AD&D's Crabmen? Or something closer to the Fallout 4 Mirelurks, which are more bestial in appearance?

Although hopefully another user here has a better grasp of the rules to help you with, for the Crabman style, I'd personally start from a basis of:
    • Medium Size
    • Monstrosity type
    • High Armor Class
    • Claw Smack Attack - Decent but not especially high damage bludgeoning attack
    • Pincer Attack - Less accurate than the Claw Smack, but a much higher amount of Slashing damage and perhaps can chain into a Grapple check; if you want to really make these guys nasty, consider adopting the decapitation rules from the Vorpal Sword
    • Rending Pincers - Can inflict constant Slashing damage on a grappled victim, representing the pincers pulling & cutting whatever they've seized

But I've never really studied the monster-making rules for 5e, so I can't say how helpful this is.
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

World-Building: Malebolge Campaign Setting (5e), Star-Fantasy Campaign Setting (5e)
    Homebrew Material Index: Misty Shadow's Stupid-Huge Homebrew List

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_in_the_Mist View Post
    First up, you need to figure out just what do you want to do - a humanoid crab, ala the Fallout 3 Mirelurk and AD&D's Crabmen? Or something closer to the Fallout 4 Mirelurks, which are more bestial in appearance?

Although hopefully another user here has a better grasp of the rules to help you with, for the Crabman style, I'd personally start from a basis of:
    • Medium Size
    • Monstrosity type
    • High Armor Class
    • Claw Smack Attack - Decent but not especially high damage bludgeoning attack
    • Pincer Attack - Less accurate than the Claw Smack, but a much higher amount of Slashing damage and perhaps can chain into a Grapple check; if you want to really make these guys nasty, consider adopting the decapitation rules from the Vorpal Sword
    • Rending Pincers - Can inflict constant Slashing damage on a grappled victim, representing the pincers pulling & cutting whatever they've seized

But I've never really studied the monster-making rules for 5e, so I can't say how helpful this is.
    Any help is welcome, and even if it only means compiling "iconic" abilities, it's still help.

So, thanks for your thoughts. I suppose I could make two variations of the same creature. The bestial, nigh mindless creature that looks more like the ones in Fallout 4, and the more humanoid-like from Fallout 3, which could be nesting in a tight-knit community, like primitive people might.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-03-04 at 06:33 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't personally have much to offer on this but there was a fan-made playable race with a similar concept that can be found at http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Brachyura_(3.5e_Race).

I think they even used the Mirelurk image for them. Im not sure if you are wanting something playable. The example cited above is LA +2 but there is a lot of superfluous stuff that could be cut to bring that down. I think the stat mods are a bit much as well.