New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Relationship Woes And Advice, Part Two (Read First Post)

Quote Originally Posted by Alarra View Post
    Been there, done that. Well, in any case, I've tried to break up with someone, had them threaten suicide, guilt me into staying another 3 months, try again, same threat, 1 more month, finally actually stick to my convictions and break up with them....have them actually attempt it and wind up in the hospital for awhile, leaving me feeling like it's entirely my fault.
    Don't feel guilty about that sort of thing. Harming yourself to make someone else feel bad is the height of selfishness. It's unforgivable, in my book.
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2007-08-08 at 09:47 PM.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

2. - Top - End - #332
    Colossus in the Playground

leaving me feeling like it's entirely my fault.
    It never, ever is. The most you could've done is suggest that if his happiness depended so heavily upon you, then he should have booked himself into a psych ward, and even then it's not your job to coddle him.

But as far as the idea of massages as a form of flirting....even the slightest touching can have the same effect. Placing a hand on someone's arm while talking to them, or even casually moving your hand so that it's somewhat against them. However, keeping this in mind, I'm a rather touchy person in the majority of my relationships, friendships, boyfriends, flirtations in general. I touch and hug and pet people, just part of my personality I think. But really, I'm a very flirtatious person.
    Ah, which brings me to...

Lesson 3: Take any opportunity to touch or get close to them. Okay, don't go around squeezing their buttocks (unless that's the sort of friendship group you have...), but try to sit next to them when you can, share arm-rests, "accidently" touch their toes or fingers with yours... Um... oh, I don't know. Use your imagination. My now housemate and I once ambushed my now boyfriend when walking back from town, each of us claiming an arm. You might not want to be so bold, but you get the idea.
    (of course, all this ties in to Lessons 1 and 2)

3. - Top - End - #333
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post

Lesson 3: Take any opportunity to touch or get close to them. Okay, don't go around squeezing their buttocks (unless that's the sort of friendship group you have...), but try to sit next to them when you can, share arm-rests, "accidently" touch their toes or fingers with yours... Um... oh, I don't know. Use your imagination. My now housemate and I once ambushed my now boyfriend when walking back from town, each of us claiming an arm. You might not want to be so bold, but you get the idea.
    (of course, all this ties in to Lessons 1 and 2)
    Yes. And even if you aren't touching them, just standing or sitting near them whenever they are a member of the crowd you are with is a good indication of interest.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

Yep. My lady friend ended up taking the initiative by grabbing my hand as we were walking in a salt mine.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

5. - Top - End - #335

Yes. And even if you aren't touching them, just standing or sitting near them whenever they are a member of the crowd you are with is a good indication of interest.
    Oi, you! Who's the Professor of Practical Flirtation around here?! =.=
    ...well, alright then, I've heard of your amorous conquests You can be Assisting Professor, I guess.

A salt mine... How romantic.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe, but I don't see why so many people think this circumspect behavior is a good indication of anything. If a person likes me and is just near me all the time I'm not going to get the hint... at all.
    Last edited by SDF; 2007-08-08 at 11:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #337

That's just part of the fun, and why there's more than one lesson in my curriculum.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine
    Lesson 2: Offer/request massages, and/or/including hands or feet when, for example, sitting around or watching a movie (I used to do this when watching horror movies. Helped to distract me). This is helped by actually having some education in massage.
    Massages = win. Receiving is better than giving. Am I right, or am I right? (I'm kidding, both are good)

You've got some education in it, eh? Coolness.

(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻
    Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You're still in the fire. Why are you in the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You died.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ick I've got a wonderful hereditary problem where the muscles in my shoulders get tight. A few years ago i went to the doctor and the problem was so bad it was starting to pull my spine out alignment (who knew?).
    So now I bug my male friends and my boyfriends for massages. Sooooo much better.
    Back/shoulder massages...well I'd end it but it's kinda dirty.

10. - Top - End - #340

Quote Originally Posted by SDF View Post
    Maybe, but I don't see why so many people think this circumspect behavior is a good indication of anything. If a girl likes me and is just near me all the time I'm not going to get the hint... at all.
    I'm usually guilty of needing a clue bat but I'm getting better. It started when I was once told by a woman friend of mine that many of our mutual acquaintances had tried demonstrating an interest and I was oblivious. So I turned most of my "naah, couldn't be" observances into "hey, might be" and if I was also interested would try to return the favor. Worst case is misinterpreted gestures since this kind of stuff, even if unintentional, would at least indicate that they aren't repulsed by you, eh?

It worked with Alarra. I noticed occasional furtive glances. I noticed her being near me more often than all the other very fun and engaging people. (The bold print 'Dude, I think she's interested' was the couch incident at The Igloo/Rabbit Hole/Bunguin's Place*.) Sure, it could've been just shyness or the fact that I was doing the same thing. But when I asked my thought process was "hey, she doesn't hate you, right? even if she says 'sorry, no' she'll at least be kind about it."

The point of this? Maybe you're missing more flirting than you realize. Oh, and a dozen polite refusals is worth it for one enthusiastic 'yes'.

*What are they calling it these days?
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    The point of this? Maybe you're missing more flirting than you realize.
    Maybe, even so I like initiative. If I like someone I can usually tell them. If they like me and don't say anything their loss I suppose.

@V: And I probably wouldn't end up dating them. It isn't that I wouldn't it is a problem of communication.
    Last edited by SDF; 2007-08-08 at 11:54 PM.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ettin in the Playground

Some people (yours truly included) are WAY too shy and/or low-confidence to do this.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Some people (yours truly included) are WAY too shy and/or low-confidence to do this.
    I am one of the extremely shy types as well, and most females are not as agressive with me as I would like.

All but one of my girlfriends were way more outgoing than I was, and I only initiated it with the most shy of them. But then again, I thought she needed a clue bat to get my flirting, truth be told, she got it even before I had figured it out, she was waiting for an actual "Hey, I like you" message.
    Last edited by Logic; 2007-08-09 at 12:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

14. - Top - End - #344

Shy people need a clear message...otherwise we just kind of guess as to "maybe??".

15. - Top - End - #345

(The bold print 'Dude, I think she's interested' was the couch incident at The Igloo/Rabbit Hole/Bunguin's Place*.)
    Wait.....what was the couch incident?

Spoiler
    Show

Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

16. - Top - End - #346

Wait.....what was the couch incident?
    Let me set the scene...

We're at PenguinSushi and BardicBunny's place on the last day. We have much good cookout food and are congregating in the living room. I take a seat on a fairly uncomfortable footstool thing at the end of the coffee table. You and Gitman00 were sitting on the couch.

Zeb: Damn, Sushi, this thing isn't very comfortable.
    Sushi: Well, why are you sitting on it then, goober?
    Zeb: I didn't feel like standing any-
    Alarra: (presses up against the arm of the couch to make room) There's plenty of room here, Zeb! (pats the cushion next to her)
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

Everyone - one, two, three:

AWWW!

18. - Top - End - #348

Oh right, that 'couch incident'.
    I wouldn't say I 'pressed against the arm to make room'....there really was plenty of room next to me. and I believe my actual words were..."You could sit here you know.."

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #349
    Dwarf in the Playground

Awww....darn...I missed the count...

To make up for it! Double awww!
    XF: Operating on 95% insanity since 1337 B.C. Because every event needs an insane werewolf noble.

Blissfully proud owner of a Ceikatar!

Undead Wannabee and Poster-Boy for the Fanclub

20. - Top - End - #350

Oh right, that 'couch incident'.
    I wouldn't say I 'pressed against the arm to make room'....there really was plenty of room next to me. and I believe my actual words were..."You could sit here you know.."
    Whatever. You remember it your way and I'll remember it mine.

21. - Top - End - #351

Ah but see, mine's right.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah but see, mine's right.
    Zeb, you have already lost. Just aknowledge this, and things will be easier until she declares a win at a later date.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

23. - Top - End - #353

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    Zeb, you have already lost. Just aknowledge this, and things will be easier until she declares a win at a later date.
    Au contraire, mon frer. I've won. It doesn't matter whose recollection is the more accurate. What matters is that I perceived a reciprocated attraction, which I acted on and that action received a positive response. To that end, so has she, whether her action was intentional or not, since we're now together and are very happy about it.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Dwarf in the Playground

To all you guys out there who worry that you don't get flirting, and can't talk to girls/women. Have faith, it will come to you in time. Flirting is not meant to be serious. It is all for fun. Have fun with it, and pay attention to the responses to your phrases. It takes practice, but it does all work out.

Take me for example. More than once, I have had female friends remark to me that I was "utterly clueless" and "how could you not notice that she was flirting with you". Most of it stemmed from a belief that I still partially hold today that I am simply not that attractive. However, things change.

Spoiler
    Show

This is inside my wife's tummy. We don't know whether it is a boy or a girl, it kept spinning and moving too much, but it certainly is active.

S/he is supposed to make an appearance near the end of october sometime.
    MudBunny

My PM box is open for questions for the Relationship Woes and Advice thread, whether you want a private answer, or want me to post it anonymously to the thread.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm this close to crying right now...
    Congratulations to ye, congratulations to ye, you're having a babeeeeeee, congratulations to ye.

I want a baby
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

26. - Top - End - #356

Too... many jokes... Clogging brain... causing... Shatner-like speech... patterns.

Mudbunny, I count... 5 excellent points in your post. Bravo.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Dwarf in the Playground

I mentioned this in the previous thread, but it was shortly before it got modded so I will repost it here.

I was shy in high school. I was the nerd in high school. I was the geek in high school. I was teased, until people needed help with homework, then I was a temporary friend.

My first date, ever was at my high school prom (17 years old was I, no kiss was there).
    My second date was 6 years later, in my first year of grad school. We went out for about 4 years, before she decided that she needed some time to find out who she was. (Fair enough)

While I was recovering from the devastation (I had just dropped $1.5k on a trip to see her over christmas), I learned a couple of things about meeting women.

Women notice if you are desperately looking for a relationship. Most women will avoid you in this situation. While soap operas show women going out with really needy guys and it working, real life isn't a soap opera.

The next stage I got to, after you are done being desperate, is the "I don't care if I don't have a girlfriend." While this is slightly more attractive to women, it still tends to turn a number of them off. Women want someone who will want them.

The ideal stage to get to is "I am happy with myself, whether I have a girlfriend or not." Confidence in yourself, and a knowledge of who you really are, will get women interested in you more than most other techniques combined in my opinion.

Another important point. Go out and do things. Ultimate Frisbee, pick-up soccer, ball-room dancing, latin dancing (you have no idea how much being able to dance a foxtrot/salsa/mambo/waltz/etc helps).

Meet people. Women will not come knocking on your door to ask you out. They don't know that you are there. You say you are uncomfortable doing that sort of thing. Oh well.

Deal with it!! It is very close to a binary solution set:

If you go out, you meet people.
    If you don't go out, you don't meet people.

Your friends will help, but you need to take steps yourself as well.
    Last edited by mudbunny; 2007-08-09 at 09:28 AM.
    MudBunny

My PM box is open for questions for the Relationship Woes and Advice thread, whether you want a private answer, or want me to post it anonymously to the thread.

28. - Top - End - #358

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Oddly, I get this behavior almost exclusively from my married female friends. I really don't think they're coming on to me! But, y'know, who am I to say for sure...
    Hmm, well, I guess them being married could change things, since they might also do that kind of hug if they view you in a brotherly way. But I still maintain that if a single girl gives that kind of hug to a single guy, it seems like obvious flirting.

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    For my part, there's no way the breasts aren't going to get in the way of a hug. They're not detachable.
    True, but some girls are very conscious about this, and so either give sort of side hugs, or hugs where she sort of leans forward so you're touching near the shoulders, but your chests have space between them.

Pick-pocketing while hugging is definitely flirting in my book. I mean, come on, you're touching their butt! At least every time I've done this I've certainly been flirting.
    Actually, I keep everything in my front pockets rather than my back ones... so yeah, that would come across as pretty flirtatious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Okay, guys, so I think I mentioned that my dad wrote me a song after my mom told him about my problems...and played it for me...well, last night he wrote me an email telling me to look in a certain folder on the desktop. Turns out he recorded an mp3 of the song. I just about started crying, it was so sweet of him.

Spoiler
    Show
    I know you're lookin' around
    And things don't look all that good to you
    But don't go back underground
    You've still got plenty of good to do

You know in all the wide world
    There ain't no place like home
    And people out there are scared
    They're gonna end up alone

I know you set your sights high
    You've been fillin' your heart with love
    You're doin' all the right things
    Sometimes it's just not enough

You've created a friendship
    That can last your whole life
    Though it don't seem like it now
    It's worth this moment of strife

Though all the signs of the world
    May say you're on the wrong track
    Don't think of going back

Keep the word in your heart
    Keep your feet on the road
    Keep your eyes on the horizon
    You can carry this load

Putting each brick in its place
    One day you'll have a whole wall
    Be confident there's no waste
    Should even some of them fall

The ediface that you build
    Will be a beauty to see
    Though it will come at a cost
    You know that nothin' is free

Yeah, you may lose what you want
    Yeah, you may lose what you want
    Though you may lose what you want
    You'll surely find what you need
    You'll find what you need

I know you're lookin' around
    And things don't look all that good to you....

I guess it's kind of weird...I mean, my parents and I have always gotten along really well, but it's really cool to suddenly realize how much they care and that they really are there for me.

It's not like when you're young, and you think that your mom and dad can solve any problem with a snap of their fingers...but they can make your life a lot easier. This is kind of how my dad always communicates, through songs...when I was younger he and I used to fight a lot, and we got through it because he wrote me a song that made me go ...oh. Anyway, the advice he gave makes me feel a lot better.
    That's really cool, Dragonrider. It sounds like you have a great relationship with your parents.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Skenardo View Post
    Yep. My lady friend ended up taking the initiative by grabbing my hand as we were walking in a salt mine.
    Wait--you were really in a salt mine?

I'm usually guilty of needing a clue bat but I'm getting better. It started when I was once told by a woman friend of mine that many of our mutual acquaintances had tried demonstrating an interest and I was oblivious.
    Heh, one time I was semi-bemoaning the fact that I was single, and my friend starts telling me how I've got plenty of prospects: "I mean, I've seen lots of girls giving you 'the look'." So of course, I was like: "What?! why didn't you tell me?" Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbunny View Post
    Meet people. Women will not come knocking on your door to ask you out. They don't know that you are there. You say you are uncomfortable doing that sort of thing. Oh well.

Deal with it!! It is very close to a binary solution set:

If you go out, you meet people.
    If you don't go out, you don't meet people.

Your friends will help, but you need to take steps yourself as well.
    I don't know, what about that commercial where the guy is telling his friend he feels lonely, and the girl falls into his outstrectched arms? That could probably totally happen all the time in real life.

Anyway, congratulations on the new addition to your family, mudbunny.
    HUMANS....... ARE....... SUPERIORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But she was naked! And all... articulate!!

29. - Top - End - #359

Quote Originally Posted by Holy_Knight View Post
    Heh, one time I was semi-bemoaning the fact that I was single, and my friend starts telling me how I've got plenty of prospects: "I mean, I've seen lots of girls giving you 'the look'." So of course, I was like: "What?! why didn't you tell me?" Ah well.
    Me too. Dammit people, if someone's paying attention to me, I want to know! Don't think it happens very often though, anyway.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Dwarf in the Playground

Women notice if you are desperately looking for a relationship. Most women will avoid you in this situation. While soap operas show women going out with really needy guys and it working, real life isn't a soap opera.
    This is very true. Everytime I was around looking for a girl I wasn't getting anywhere. But when it did happen, there were loads of opportunities directly after it. Example: After I first kissed my current girlfriend, I got four other pretty direct opportunities in that same week (I don't know why, my hair probably looked GREAT that week). And it has happened at other times as well. Good thing I didn't fall for those, cause my girlfriend is totally awesome. ("ewww, you slimeball!")

I've seen it happen to friends of mine as well. So, since this seem to happen so often, I was wondering, do women actually have a radar to know when a guy is nearly committing himself to someone else? And if so, what makes that guy suddenly so hot?
    I have no sig