New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Default How to handle cheating.

There's a current thread thread of a person asking to get loaded dice and I shared the fact many people I have played with, now and in the past, alter their dice.
    I get it, I really do. You've been looking forward to the game all week, and you're in a position where if you fail this one skill check all hell is about to break loose. You REALLY need to make it and you look at that 1 and *flip* Hey, it's a 17.
    But as a GM you should call it out. How do you guys handle it?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: How to handle cheating.

Play with better people.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Everyone i play with rolls in the open. Dont mess with the dice after it lands. Cheaters lose the privilage to roll dice & will instead be rolled by me. After a bit i may return your privilage. No one has ever done this in my games yet.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I would offer to roll the players' skill checks for them, if doing an honest job is just too much to handle.
    Rule Zero is not a House Rule.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

If it's a player, ask them to please leave. They are not welcome at my table.

If they are the DM, not return to the table. I also won't play with a DM that rolls in secret, since so many use that as a way to hide that they're fudging the dice.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    Play with better people.
    The people are great. The atmosphere is fun, everyone, including me, has a great time.
    It seems rather silly to me to walk away from a table where everyone is enjoying themselves because of a fudged die roll.

As for the GM doing it, sometimes it's best that way. Letting a tpk happen because the die you were using decided to roll a nat 20 4 times in a row seems a tad harsh to me.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    As for the GM doing it, sometimes it's best that way. Letting a tpk happen because the die you were using decided to roll a nat 20 4 times in a row seems a tad harsh to me.
    Never acceptable to me. I find that the worst way, never the best way. A DM that doesn't play with fair dice is robbing me of my chance to win the game by playing smart.

And TPKs happen. But if that's a problem, either don't use the dice, or don't put the characters in a situation where 4 nat 20s will TPK the party. Don't roll the dice then say 'oops'. Or worse, try to keep it a secret. That's how you remove meaningful player decision making.

Edit: obviously this is my personal opinion. But it's why I won't play with a DM that fudges the dice. He's removed the ability for me to enjoy the game, to have my play experience be challenging and meaningful.
    Last edited by Tanarii; 2017-03-19 at 12:58 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

The people are great. The atmosphere is fun, everyone, including me, has a great time.
    It seems rather silly to me to walk away from a table where everyone is enjoying themselves because of a fudged die roll.
    Cheating is completely unacceptable to me. If it's not a big deal to you then just don't make a big deal of it. Make dice rolling a ritual. Get a box, put it in the middle of the table, and call for all dice to be rolled in the box and left there, untouched.

If the GM can break the rules when they want to then all the rules are meaningless and the players' accomplishments mean nothing. If an unlucky TPK would ruin the fun for the entire group then consider just playing a different RPG where that sort of thing doesn't happen.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Cheating is completely unacceptable to me. If it's not a big deal to you then just don't make a big deal of it. Make dice rolling a ritual. Get a box, put it in the middle of the table, and call for all dice to be rolled in the box and left there, untouched.

If the GM can break the rules when they want to then all the rules are meaningless and the players' accomplishments mean nothing. If an unlucky TPK would ruin the fun for the entire group then consider just playing a different RPG where that sort of thing doesn't happen.
    Actually, in D&D, rule zero is precisely "The gm can break, alter, fiat, ban or otherwise ignore any rule." The gm literally CAN'T break the rules, because he MAKES them.
    So yeah.

10. - Top - End - #10

Actually, in D&D, rule zero is precisely "The gm can break, alter, fiat, ban or otherwise ignore any rule." The gm literally CAN'T break the rules, because he MAKES them.
    So yeah.
    And it's a horrible idea that's badly damaged tabletop gaming for decades and needs to be ripped right out of the hobby's genetics. The sooner we can exorcise it the better off we'll all be.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I've cheated on a few rolls. Not because I like a good power trip or anything. I never cheat in video games... I just cheat when I reaaally want an encounter to just be over, lol. Like if nobody's having fun. (shrug)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

And it's a horrible idea that's badly damaged tabletop gaming for decades and needs to be ripped right out of the hobby's genetics. The sooner we can exorcise it the better off we'll all be.
    We'll just have to continue to disagree there. A game designer can't be expected to catch every possible flaw.
    Nor can they be expected to extrapolate everything that will work for every possible group. It kinda sounds like you want tabletop to turn into video gaming... which many, if not most, would think sucks.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Only if your GM can't handle power trips/is an *******. No matter what the rules actualy say about it, you can't remove that kind of power from the GM's hand because the GM is the one creating encounters and managing the environment and NPCs. If you have that much trouble with your GM, find a better one.

Rule zero is about enabling the GM to be creative, not about making him allmighty. He already is.
    Last edited by Cazero; 2017-03-19 at 02:55 AM.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

14. - Top - End - #14

We'll just have to continue to disagree there. A game designer can't be expected to catch every possible flaw.
    Nor can they be expected to extrapolate everything that will work for every possible group. It kinda sounds like you want tabletop to turn into video gaming... which many, if not most, would think sucks.
    There are, in fact, RPG rulesets that will work as written 100% of the time.

However. There's nothing wrong with changing rules when they don't work for what you're trying to do, there's nothing wrong with adding new rules when you want to do a thing that the game doesn't cover, and there's nothing wrong with changing a rule when it's flat out broken because you're playing a game that's badly designed. The problem comes when a GM is doing it unilaterally by fiat, or even worse when he's doing it stealthily and lying about it (like cheating on dice rolls). The rules are not the GM's job, the rules are the group's job and the group can, as a whole, decide to change things. But if the group is routinely deciding to change things it's at least worth considering the possibility that the group may be playing the wrong game.
    Last edited by Koo Rehtorb; 2017-03-19 at 03:01 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Swift, savage beatings. We have very little tolerance for cheats where I'm from.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

If you're the GM then it's easy, you have the power to introduce house rules:
    1. Bring a set of dice
    2. The dice are shared dice
    3. All rolls are done openly with the same dice

This way you wouldn't want weighted dice because the enemy NPCs will roll with them too.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

My favourite way in which cheating was dealt with was with this One Guy - let's call him "Bonrad Clake", to preserve his dignity. He was well known for fudging dice rolls, but no-one wanted to call him out on it (socially awkward and all that), but it was starting to get on everyone's nerves.

One day we were playing with "Bonrad" and a relatively new player, Clare, who was well known then for being a bit - er - crazy. (She's very sensible these days - lecturer at a top university and all.)

So when "Bonrad" rolls, glances round to see if anyone noticed what he'd rolled, then snatches up the die and declares "I hit!" - Clare lets out a mock gasp: "Aw! Bonrad cheated! Look everyone, Bonrad cheated!" *sings* "Bonrad is a cheater! Bonrad is a cheater!"

Unfortunately, it didn't stop him. He just never cheated in front of Clare again.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Swift, savage beatings. We have very little tolerance for cheats where I'm from.
    Baator I take it?

Quote Originally Posted by Altair_the_Vexed View Post
    So when "Bonrad" rolls, glances round to see if anyone noticed what he'd rolled, then snatches up the die and declares "I hit!" - Clare lets out a mock gasp: "Aw! Bonrad cheated! Look everyone, Bonrad cheated!" *sings* "Bonrad is a cheater! Bonrad is a cheater!"
    Perfectly sensible, positive use of peer pressure if you ask me.

Unfortunately, it didn't stop him. He just never cheated in front of Clare again.
    And that's when you went Baator on his hind quarters?
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It would probably depend on the table dynamic. I could think of a bunch of possible ways to deal with the situation, depending on how serious a concern it is.

Just ignore it. This isn't a case of "ignore it and it will go away" as much as just assuming that it simply doesn't matter. If the entire session just involves killing monsters and taking loot just to waste time, hang out, and kill some more monsters, then the exact dynamics probably aren't going to matter too much. If somebody fudges a 1 into a 20 it likely won't ruin the evening, even if some people catch it. Plus, the GM is generally capable of fudging things if they think a player is intentionally trying to bypass an obstacle this way; it wouldn't be the first time some crazy wizard stuck a trapped-and-locked chest inside another trapped-and-locked chest, forcing another one of those Open Lock checks.

As for combat situations running overly long, the GM should realize that retreat (or just fleeing in terror) is an option for enemies. It isn't something to necessarily use all the time, but when 90% of the enemy are dead and the PC party is still at full health, the enemies can just end up getting routed rather than spend all that time rolling until enough HP gets emptied out of the tank. Same thing with non-combat encounters: something can happen to make climbing that cliff, opening that lock, or searching that room more dynamic than just rolling the die again.

Roll in the open, roll on your turn. If you have a problem with players rolling in front of them and then "saving" a particularly good result, then just make a rule where everyone has to roll in the middle of the table, during their turn. Getting a dice box or something similar, placed in the middle of the table, can help wiht this. It also prevents players from rolling out-of-turn, since that would interfere with another player's turn.

One set of dice. If you suspect some loaded dice or something similar, you can just have everyone use a single set of dice, or perhaps bring a few sets and let players pick up whichever colors they want for their rolls. It keeps things fair because enemies get to use the same dice that the players use, so players certainly won't want loaded dice at the table.

Don't invite them to the next game. If the cheating is so bad that it is bothering everyone at the table, then the next campaign that starts up, take a week off and then just don't invite the offending player to it. That's a bit of a harsh response, but if the problem is that bad, then just not playing with the person anymore might be the only solution to the problem.

[EDIT]
    I guess I forgot to mention, but just "say something to the offending player" is of course an option. If it is a problem, or even just a concern, then mentioning it and explaining why it is a problem can work at stopping the whole issue. The solution doesn't need to involve re-working the group dynamic just to prevent some people from misbehaving.
    Last edited by erikun; 2017-03-19 at 10:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hello,
    I realized that this topic is probably directed to the topic I made where I asked loaded dice and precision dice.

First of all, I would like to tell you that I do not endorse in any way cheating and I abhor it. It's been 8 months since I've played my first session of D&D, and never such a thought hit my mind. To this day, at least, where I started to realize that being inherently unlucky was actually so counter-productive to my own fun that it actually hit my personal enjoyment of the game.

Okay, so I asked for loaded dice. Why did I ask for them? I'm going to play with a DM that is really into roleplaying, every damn choice I do should be logical for the stats I've got. So what shapes my character is not my own thoughts of it, or what I could make, but the stats that I'm going to get.

So, roleplaying a character to the fullest, means that I practically pidgeon every idea on the rolls I'll be getting. This, for me, is not fun at all: you can say what you want, but knowing that I've got to act as a commoner or act as a brutish mindless warrior because my best roll is 14 and my worst is 8 or 9, means that you cut half of the fun I can be getting from D&D. There is a time where I will be going to play as a bounty hunter, one where I wish to play as a simpleton, one where I want to play a guy with great plans.

Knowing that DUE TO MY ROLLS, I die like 16 times in a session because I've got 51 hp with a level 7 barbarian is not going to make me feel good, because from the instant I'll be rolling I could even be going to metagame. I will act coherently, but I'll always feel like I'm not the frontline I would have loved to do.

Cheating? Why would I cheat if by going mage I could be TIER 1, god wizard with frankly no damn issue about the stats point, if I've got 1 18, and one 16..

But you have to realize that I can't be forced by the dice on what I should play. I wish to have choices. And currently, with the way the dice seems to be rolling, I'm always the worst barbarian, the worst goliath, the worst fighter, the worst ranger

Who cares if during the game I do 1 1 1 on the dice. I can accept it. But making the dice choose for what I'm going to play, instead of making me express my fantasy, is one thing I cannot agree with

I could cheat 1/3 rolls for the stats, so I know that I've got my chance if I wish to play something more complex, but I would never cheat during a session.

But if things go like that and the DM doesn't realize it, I could play mage all day along, never be claimed 'cheater', and be thousand times better than a barbarian with high stats.

regards
    Last edited by Sergio; 2017-03-19 at 03:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

Is the cheating making the game less fun for anyone? Talk to the cheater about it and ask him to stop. If he doesn't and it keeps making things less fun, call him out and either require he do things in confirmable ways or ask him to leave. Or just counter-cheat by assuming his rolls really are what you think they were, if he can't prove his claims.

But first, make sure it really is important. If it isn't ruining anybody's fun, and he needs to cheat to feel good about the game, is it worth calling out?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Play with better people.
    First post best post. Don't play with cheaters. If you have one at the table, tell him to cut it out, or just kick him out if he's new.

As someone with experience on both sides of the issue, I would rather get TPK'd than be coddled. Seeing my character killed sucks, but being cheated by a friend over a game is a lot worse. At that point why should I spend any time on mechanics? We might as well just roleplay freeform if we're going to cheat on dice outcomes that we don't like. It would save us a lot of time on all those books full of rules.

If you want to cheat your DM rolls, then we can't stop you. But don't try to convince me that it's fair to your players.

If there are certain outcomes that are not acceptable to you and you want to change, then be open about that. Talk to your players about the prospect of you rerolling the monsters' quadruple nat20 combos. That way it's an agreed-upon rules change and not cheating. That kind of transparency can help you build trust with your players and lead to a more enjoyable game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
    Hello,
    But you have to realize that I can't be forced by the dice on what I should play. I wish to have choices. And currently, with the way the dice seems to be rolling, I'm always the worst barbarian, the worst goliath, the worst fighter, the worst ranger
    I recommend giving this speech to your gaming group and ask them about allowing you to use point-buy, pre-gen arrays, or similar. It seems to be affecting you deeply, so if you have a good relationship with them, they should be sympathetic.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2017-03-19 at 11:36 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

If enjoyment matters to you and honesty does not, then fine. I But can't think that way.

That person isn't playing the game. There are lots of ways to enjoy yourselves other than playing the game, including throwing away the dice and just making up a story in which your character always succeeds. And if people want to do that, openly and honestly, then there's nothing wrong with agreeing to do that.

Maybe you could all agree to all dice with two 20s and no 1s. That's completely open and honest.

I ran one game in which I bought a d22 for each player to use for attacks, without changing the to-hit level, thus increasing each PC's ability to hit without doing the same for the NPCs. Everyone agreed to it, and again, that was completely open and honest.

But I won't play the game with people who aren't playing the game with me. And somebody using a weighted or misnumbered die without asking the rest of us for permission is simply cheating.

We're not playing a game together. We're not even playing the same game at all. I'm risking failure. He isn't.

Again, that's only harsh if winning is more important than playing the game. I've lost games of Monopoly, Acquire, Sorry!, and many others because at a crucial moment, I got a bad die roll. I've lost at baseball because of an unpredictable ball hop, at poker because my opponent drew the only card out of 52 that could beat me, and at fencing because my opponent fell over backwards after I'd parried him and before I struck.

That's normal. That's part of playing a game.

Some people don't want to play D&D as a game in that way, and agree that the PCs will never lose. And if everybody at the table agrees to that, it's perfectly decent and honest, even if not to my taste.

But one person privately deciding that he can't lose while I can, using dishonest dice, without letting the rest of us agree whether or not to accept it, is not open, not honest, and not playing with us.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I recommend giving this speech to your gaming group and ask them about allowing you to use point-buy, pre-gen arrays, or similar. It seems to be affecting you deeply, so if you have a good relationship with them, they should be sympathetic.
    Thanks for your understanding. I could be trying to explain my points, but honestly I feel like they would be falling in deaf ears.

I've even asked a new way to roll hp, instead of the classical one, but it wasn't well accepted.

Another dm I've played with told me that I should just live with it, because what dice do say is law, and that if he wishes, as a dm he can murder my character any time he wants and it is useless to search for better rolls.

I won't lie that I understand the point of people that do say that going this way on stats is cheating, but for me it is hindering my personal enjoyment of the game. To be sincere, I think that my next character is going to be the last one.

If I wanted to become a god character, I would just go mage. No one would accuse me of power-playing, I would be playing mechanically and I would be justified, I could be ten thousand more versatile, I would care little about death because I will never be in the frontline, I would seek magical powers beyond human comprehension (like becoming a lich), I would just relax all the ****ing time, especially in the current place the campaign is located

Sorry if I derailed the topic.

Anyway, if I caught someone cheating in my campaign, I would give him another chance, then if he was to do it again I would just ban him.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Two rules to follow in every situation where you need to ask how to handle cheating, even outside of tabletop RPGs.

1. Do not tolerate cheating.

2. Set up norms that make cheating difficult in the first place, because you neither want people to cheat, nor do people want you to accuse them of cheating.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
    Hello,
    I realized that this topic is probably directed to the topic I made where I asked loaded dice and precision dice.

First of all, I would like to tell you that I do not endorse in any way cheating and I abhor it. It's been 8 months since I've played my first session of D&D, and never such a thought hit my mind. To this day, at least, where I started to realize that being inherently unlucky was actually so counter-productive to my own fun that it actually hit my personal enjoyment of the game.

Okay, so I asked for loaded dice. Why did I ask for them? I'm going to play with a DM that is really into roleplaying, every damn choice I do should be logical for the stats I've got. So what shapes my charcter is not my own thoughts of it, or what I could make, but the stats that I'm going to get.

So, roleplaying a character to the fullest, means that I practically pidgeon every idea on the rolls I'll be getting. This, for me, is not fun at all: you can say what you want, but knowing that I've got to act as a commoner or act as a brutish mindless warrior because my best roll is 14 and my worst is 8 or 9, means that you cut half of the fun I can be getting from D&D. There is a time where I will be going to play as a bounty hunter, one where I wish to play as a simpleton, one where I want to play a guy with great plans.

Knowing that DUE TO MY ROLLS, I die like 16 times in a session because I've got 51 hp with a level 7 barbarian is not going to make me feel good, because from the instant I'll be rolling I could even be going to metagame. I will act coherently, but I'll always feel like I'm not the frontline I would have loved to do.

Cheating? Why would I cheat if by going mage I could be TIER 1, god wizard with frankly no damn issue about the stats point, if I've got 1 18, and one 16..

Who cares if during the game I do 1 1 1 on the dice. I can accept it. But making the dice choose for what I'm going to play, instead of making me express my fantasy, is one thing I cannot agree with

I could cheat 1/3 roll for the stats, so I know that I've got my chance if I wish to play something more complex, but I would never cheat during a session.

But if things go like that and the DM doesn't realize it, I could play mage all day along, never be claimed 'cheater', and be thousand times better than a barbarian with high stats.

regards
    This isn't a great argument for using loaded dice, but one of the most eloquent defenses of Point Buy as a superior system that I've seen. We wouldn't even be having this discussion if people weren't so fixated on rolling stats.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

How do you guys handle it?
    **** happens. People I game with know that I let the dice fall where they may. That's me.

If a player cheats? If that's what makes the game fun for them? It's not worth caring about. It means there's one statistically improbable nexus in the universe, and I'm lucky enough to be their ally (or have them in the story, if I'm GM). Sweet!

But the GM controls 99.9% of the world. If the GM cheats, that's not a cool statistical nexus, that's an incoherent world.

As a personal aside, I care about a sense of accomplishment. I want to come by my victories (and my setbacks, and my defeats) honest. If we aren't following the rules, if the GM is cheating, I can't. That removes most if not all of the fun of the game for me.

Now, I can imagine that there are people like me, but who take it one step further. For them, any other player is cheating, it can ruin their fun. In that case, I suppose, if they can't talk it out, I'd fall on the side of not cheating.

Live and learn. Develop defenses that aren't vulnerable to 4 natural 20s in a row. Or suck it up, and hope it never happens again.

Spoiler: Regarding Rule 0
    Show

There are, in fact, RPG rulesets that will work as written 100% of the time.

However. There's nothing wrong with changing rules when they don't work for what you're trying to do, there's nothing wrong with adding new rules when you want to do a thing that the game doesn't cover, and there's nothing wrong with changing a rule when it's flat out broken because you're playing a game that's badly designed. The problem comes when a GM is doing it unilaterally by fiat, or even worse when he's doing it stealthily and lying about it (like cheating on dice rolls). The rules are not the GM's job, the rules are the group's job and the group can, as a whole, decide to change things. But if the group is routinely deciding to change things it's at least worth considering the possibility that the group may be playing the wrong game.
    There is a difference between filling in the blanks, and changing what is already written.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Only if your GM can't handle power trips/is an *******. No matter what the rules actualy say about it, you can't remove that kind of power from the GM's hand because the GM is the one creating encounters and managing the environment and NPCs. If you have that much trouble with your GM, find a better one.

Rule zero is about enabling the GM to be creative, not about making him allmighty. He already is.
    Not all systems follow that mindset. The banker in Monopoly can't just give players however much money he feels like - there are rules. Not following said rules is cheating. Many RPGs run like monopoly, not like certain interpretations of Rule 0.

I'm curious about which games have 100% complete and functional rules sets, and don't have a threat of TPK.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2017-03-19 at 01:16 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    I'm curious about which games have 100% complete and functional rules sets, and don't have a threat of TPK.
    Apocalypse World is the obvious one that springs to mind. When a PC takes a lethal amount of harm in AW they have a list of choices they can choose from to see what happens next. Dying is one of the choices, but not mandatory.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

There are two things that I want to cover. First is sort of the motivation for cheating, but the second is the actual mechanics of cheating.

One of the things that you need to do to address the issue of treating is to deal with the cause. A lot of players cheat because the character that they have spent time building is precious to them in some way, and they're worried that you as the DM aren't going to handle the issue of their character's death meaningfully. You need to help your players understand that death in an RPG is simply part of the game as it is a part of life. The life of an adventurer is filled with danger, and if it weren't the game wouldn't be nearly as thrilling as it is. You as a DM should establish that you can be trusted by the players to handle death responsibly and meaningfully, and that when and if their character dies, that some other character (one that they roll) will stand forward to fill the gap left by their departed character.

Another thing to realize is that at higher levels, death is not an end, it is just an inconvenience - at least in games that have resurrection as an option.

Even at lower levels, death can be dealt with in a heroic way. The character doesn't die and wilt away - maybe they are taken by demons to a lower plane, and the party has to rescue them.

There are other issues to deal with. Some players just want all of their gaming experience to be totally optimal. To illustrate the problem with this, try narrating a hypothetical adventure where everything always goes right for the PCs. The fighter doesn't just climb the sheer cliff face, he zips right up the thing as if he were born to just walk up walls. The wizard doesn't just cast a damaging fireball, but he always obliterates every single enemy he ever faces in less than a round. This addition to the story element is basically bad writing. If you read a book where everything always went the protagonist's way, you'd have a very boring book - the same thing goes for games. Imagine a game of Tetris where the blocks just stacked themselves. You'd just be staring at a screen fill itself up. The thing that keeps us rolling dice is not merely the chance for success, it's the chance for failure. Look at the Skinner tests if you don't believe me.The bird pushes the button waaaaay more if food drops down the chute only some of the time.

As many have suggested, rolling in the open helps. Certainly rules about when you can touch the dice helps. Especially on dice that have multiple sides. However, that doesn't stop cheating in its entirety. It is always possible to alter the dice physically to help produce desired rolls - I know for certain that it's possible to always get desired rolls on a d6 even without altering the die or rolling where the result can't be seen. I'm less sure about other types of dice, but one option is to use your own dice to which players only have access during games. This isn't a magic bullet though, because the die can be altered some at the table. An option that occurs to me is to use random number generators. RNG actually doesn't "roll" quite the same as a regular dice does though, because dice already tend to roll a bit higher than average already just because of the way the dice are shaped. Those pips that are carved into the face on a d6 make it so the 1 wants to face down and the six wants to face up just because of the weights of the sides. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does effect the roll outcomes. There are also systems that use cards to determine the roll outcome, and I've even seen a system that just uses fingers to randomly determine a roll, though I don't recall how that one works, and it may have been for a system that used d10s exclusively.
    Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons my friend. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

The way to a dwarf's heart is through his liver.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    What does a game with a 100% complete and functional ruleset look like?

I'm not sure that's been argued here, though KR did bring up some games can handle everything on their wheelhouse without needing to give the GM All Authority To Chuck The Rules Through The Window As He Sees Fit.