New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Archfiends names

I was looking up names and It showed up the Archfiends names, wow i get why some churchy people think D&D is evil and so on.
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Archfiends names

That's why the archfiends were given those names.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Not just archfiends.
    Half of Celestia's lords are taken from certain historic texts, and almost all of the planes themselves can be easily attributed to mythology.

But yeah, archfiends do get most of the love.
    The Chilli God has Spoken.
    ---

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't really know my history, but for awhile didn't they have a lot of the names of things as different, so the religious types would lay off them a bit?

I don't know if archfiend names came before or after they decided to stop worrying quite so much about them.

I don't really mind it so much.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by de-trick View Post
    I was looking up names and It showed up the Archfiends names, wow i get why some churchy people think D&D is evil and so on.
    Actually, I think its more because of the players using arcane magic and the fact that it asserts the idea that multiple gods not only exist, but are capable of inacting crazy stuff right in the open in front of everybody.

Really, I can't see the use of a demonic name for a bad guy convincing any intelligent people that the game is evil. I mean, the Bible uses demonic names for bad guys...by the same logic, that would make Christianity evil.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Not logical at all. But not too many logical people are going to get bent out of shape about a game like D&D to begin with.
    Last edited by Xuincherguixe; 2007-07-29 at 05:49 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't get it either, and I'm a practicing Christian myself. The names used for the archfiends (mostly the Devils) are taken from Christian lore, but they're presented as evil, scheming creatures--as they should be. I don't see anything remotely resembling devil worship at all.

D&D in general takes from the lore of a lot of cultures. It borrows heavily not only from European lore--there's a lot of Middle-Eastern and Asian influence as well. Sometimes, those are mixed up a bit.

Take Book of Exalted Deeds, for example. The Asura is presented there as a chaotic good creature that is very similar to an angel, just that it has fiery wings and talons for feet. However, in Indian lore, Asura is more commonly translated as "demon." In fact, last I checked the Rakshasa were an Asura sub-race. The Asura king Ravana was the villain in one of India's most important epics: The Ramayana. Of course the concept of a demon in the Ramayana is not the same as the Christian concept: Asuras can be good (Ravana's brother was), while Christian demons were once angels who fell from grace. Still, I found it strange that Asuras were presented as generally good outsiders.
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2007-07-29 at 07:22 AM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The reason for the whole good/bad Asura thing confusion arises from Zoroastrianism; in that, Asuras are good, whereas Devas are bad - the opposite of Hinduism.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, yes, forgot about that part. I also forgot that the BoED says that it borrows from Christian, Gnostic and Zoroastrian traditions rather than Hindu.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

I agree that most logical people would not have a problem with D&D but someone's faith typically has absolutely nothing to do with logic. And I don't mean that in an offensive way. By its definition, Faith is belief based on the absence of proof.

I'm sure others have seen this infamous article but for those who haven't, here's one writer's reasons why D&D is evil.

Hmm... I bet the writer would have made a great Cleric.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum rules
    Inappropriate Topics
    The following topics are always off-limits on these forums, no matter what (hence, Inappropriate Topics). Any posts including these topics will be edited, and any threads started to discuss these topics will be locked. Please note that, as specifically stated below, these topics remain off-limits even where they intersect with gaming or other activities discussed on these forums, and that putting an alert for “Adult” or “Mature” content on the thread does not allow circumvention of this rule.

* Real-world religions (including religious reactions to gaming)
    * Real-world politics (including political reactions to gaming)
    * Graphic violence
    * Illegal drugs
    * Criminal activity
    * Explicit sexuality
    Emphasis added.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

See, that article lost me here :

Quote Originally Posted by The Article
    On top of that, the second issue is that the materials themselves, in many cases, contain authentic magical rituals.
    Now, I admit, I've never played before 3.0 - did they actually describe the rituals for each spell and such? Because as far as we know, each individual spell includes "Verbal and somatic components", which means you somehow need to move your hands and speak some words. That's kinda like saying you make a car by "Welding some parts together".

Even assuming the rest of what he says is correct, that's a major hit to his argument - it's based on the idea of D&D instructing people on how to do these things, when really it's just abstracting them into a balancing feature of the game.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Church fears RPG because Church neva played RPG.

BTW, I've got a friend who happens to be a priest and plays RPG, he never had anything against RPG 'cause he knows what happens during the gameplay.

Naming Archdevils and Archdemons like Baal, Archmond, etc, is mere fantasy. Take a good look on Vile Darkness and you'll get what I say.
    Last edited by Fawsto; 2007-07-29 at 06:30 PM.
    Paladin Review - A Class Balance by me
    Link

Originally Posted by Dyllan

Fawsto is definitely a lawyer. Nothing against what you said, Fawsto - but I've never read anything that sounded more like it came from a lawyer. :-)
    "Justice and liberty/You can't buy/But you don't get it free"
    - Bruce Dickinson, Born in 58

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuincherguixe View Post
    I don't really know my history, but for awhile didn't they have a lot of the names of things as different, so the religious types would lay off them a bit?
    That's where names like Cornugon and Glaabezaru come from, the nonsensical rubbish most fiends have for names, besides their common name like Chain Devil or Succubus.

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    See, that article lost me here :

Now, I admit, I've never played before 3.0 - did they actually describe the rituals for each spell and such? Because as far as we know, each individual spell includes "Verbal and somatic components", which means you somehow need to move your hands and speak some words. That's kinda like saying you make a car by "Welding some parts together".

Even assuming the rest of what he says is correct, that's a major hit to his argument - it's based on the idea of D&D instructing people on how to do these things, when really it's just abstracting them into a balancing feature of the game.
    Most of the things chick press publishes are insane overreactions.